• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Especially from their own studios and not just a game by game basis. As of June 2020, here are the official mod supported Game Pass PC titles:
  • DiRT Rally 2.0
  • Farming Simulator 17
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Into the Breach
  • MudRunner
"Just buy the game on Steam if you want to mod your game."

Well, there are still some uncertainties right now as to which games will be on other platforms. Microsoft can easily just say that future titles will be on PC for Game Pass only, so could you imagine a non-existent modding community for Elder Scrolls and Fallout? Just a thought.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Agreed, especially with Starfield on the horizon. I think they will tbh. Game Pass on Steam would be the fucking dream though. Workshop support, way better launcher, Steam achievements etc. Would never happen unfortunately.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
They need to move away from UWP. The reason I stopped GamePass and e.g. played Dead Rising 4 on Steam instead is I want to be able to choose Exclusive Fullscreen and not be forced into Borderless Windowed mode, etc.

PC gaming is about choice. Always has been.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think they were working towards opening up Game Pass installs so they could be more easily modded. With Bethesda's games this is going to be a 100% necessity though. The mod community is a big part of what Bethesda's games are what they are.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not part of their vision. If they wanted unrestricted file access like other stores on PC have, they would have done so already. It really sucks and kills the value of Game Pass on PC.

Microsoft Store is a built in walled garden inside Windows 10 with console-like limitations. That's the future of PC gaming if you let Microsoft take over.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Making mod support mandatory to be on Gamepass with drive lots of devs away from it. I agree it's important but this wouldn't fly

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely.

As much as I love GamePass it feels bad to have all these game install folders I can't easily interact with. UWP needs to go.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I agree it's pretty damn important and should've been done already. The way games work filesystem-wise via the Xbox App is just... Ugh.

That's why I don't buy games on the Xbox App. I just use it for Game Pass (which admittedly is fantastic) and buy them on Steam when I want to keep them.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
That won't happen as long as Game Pass uses UWP. Even getting my controler to work is sometimes a challenge with these.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I agree it's pretty damn important and should've been done already. The way games work filesystem-wise via the Xbox App is just... Ugh.

That's why I don't buy games on the Xbox App. I just use it for Game Pass (which admittedly is fantastic) and buy them on Steam when I want to keep them.

Yep. Same.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
They already allowed modding on Xbox. I'm sure that's in the pipeline. Also, Phil Spencer said they would never create Game Pass exclusives.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this planned? I remember reading about mod support coming to GP. EDIT: OP meant *all* games, my bad then, apologies.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm sure there are at least one person working on it, trying to make it work for all games while keeping the file structure as is

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
They need to move away from UWP. The reason I stopped GamePass and e.g. played Dead Rising 4 on Steam instead is I want to be able to choose Exclusive Fullscreen and not be forced into Borderless Windowed mode, etc.

They have already moved away from UWP on Game Pass. Most new third party games and every first party game since Gears 5 is no longer using UWP.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
They already allowed modding on Xbox. I'm sure that's in the pipeline. Also, Phil Spencer said they would never create Game Pass exclusives.
This made me think we might be seeing Paid Mods Attempt 3, electric boogaloo. What can you do when the main way to play won't let you download and install mods from your own source.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
They have already moved away from UWP on Game Pass. Most new third party games and every first party game since Gears 5 is no longer using UWP.
Oh wow really? I didn't know that. I literally quit GP for the reasons I said - certain games only had borderless window mode (I presume so they could work as UWP apps).

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow really? I didn't know that. I literally quit GP for the reasons I said - certain games only had borderless window mode (I presume so they could work as UWP apps).
All new first party PC games have Exclusive Fullscreen (Halo MCC, Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Minecraft Dungeons, Grounded, Flight Simulator, etc) since UWP is no longer used. Any pre-2019 Microsoft game still uses UWP though, except for Age of Empires DE which was updated to no longer use it last year.
Microsoft has allowed third party developers to not use UWP on the Windows Store since Game Pass PC was created in June 2019, so the only UWP games added to Game Pass PC now are if they were previously on the Windows Store prior to June 2019 (for example the recently added Resident Evil 7) or if the the developer chooses to use it (mostly Indie Xbox Play Anywhere games).

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
"Mod support" is part of every single store on PC that is not the Microsoft Store. Microsoft is the only one that has file access blockers.
But for Game Pass isn't the issue that the game file needs to know you don't own it, and thus needs to protect the files from losing the subscription control over the game? Are they afraid PC players will mess with games to find a way to leverage Game Pass as a way for easy to keep game files?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Gamepass is amazing but mod support is so important to me that I actively would rather buy a game that costs more on Steam than play it on gamepass if it's one that I want to play modded.

The way every single file is hidden is so annoying.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Flight simulator supports mods too

There has never been anything preventing games from supporting mods of the developer wants to. it's only writing directly to the install folder that was not possible so mods that replace the exe, dlls, etc weren't possible. Games can load mods/config from appdata or anywhere else. Flight simulator does this for basically the entire game

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

That's what I use it for as well. It's basically to check out games, play some smaller indie titles and such, fool around till they appear on Steam or get patched up. Then I'll grab the game on Steam if I see myself playing for a longer time. It kind of all works out.

Hell, I bought Halo MCC on Steam vs just playing it for free on GamePass as I think the performance was better. It probably wasn't the case but I could swear looking at frame rates and stuttering it just functioned better on PC. Plus mods.

Wasteland, CK3, and so on are all eventually going to be bought on Steam. Definitely same for Bethesda games although I "think" you can mod them through Bethesda.net, which is not nearly enough.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I really want easy access to save files. I don't play huge games like CK3 on GP because I want to transfer the save to Steam later.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good title and constructive criticism.

I'm sure (I hope) it's on their to do list. They still have many stuff to sort out before that'll be the next priority on their list though.
Maybe in 5-6 years they'll look into it. Once Game pass truly settles in.

Especially from their own studios and not just a game by game basis. As of June 2020, here are the official mod supported Game Pass PC titles:
  • DiRT Rally 2.0
  • Farming Simulator 17
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Into the Breach
  • MudRunner
"Just buy the game on Steam if you want to mod your game."

Well, there are still some uncertainties right now as to which games will be on other platforms. Microsoft can easily just say that future titles will be on PC for Game Pass only, so could you imagine a non-existent modding community for Elder Scrolls and Fallout? Just a thought.
Halo and PSO2 as well

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Imagine if Elder Scrolls 6 was stuck in Windows Store with zero mid support.
That's unlikely since they allow mods for Xbox. However, it will be stuck with crappy mod support in that case which with Bethesda games is a bad thing since a lot of times you want to use 3rd party utilities and mod managers to properly install/order/sort and clean the mods.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's awful having to play games in 16:9 when the Steam version has mods for ultra-wide displays.
And they could do with improving their controller support too. I had to play through Tell Me Why with a keyboard and mouse because neither my DualShock 4 or Steam Controller work with it.
Even Apple supports both of these controllers - and not just in games. I can control the Apple TV interface with a Steam Controller.

UWP uses flip-mode presentation, not borderless windowed mode.
This is superior to full-screen exclusive mode in every way except that it doesn't change the output resolution if you're wanting to downsample.
It's a massive improvement if you have a G-Sync display, since windowed-mode G-Sync barely works at all.

All new first party PC games have Exclusive Fullscreen (Halo MCC, Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Minecraft Dungeons, Grounded, Flight Simulator, etc) since UWP is no longer used.
Hopefully "borderless" is actually flip-mode then, and not actually the old borderless mode.
I remember that being a big problem for Ori 2, with people disabling G-Sync because it was smoother - which should never be the case.

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if they will try to repurpose whatever Bethesda used as a repository for mods? The stuff that allowed you to get the mods into the Xbox? Like their own steam workshop style thing?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Making mod support mandatory to be on Gamepass with drive lots of devs away from it. I agree it's important but this wouldn't fly
Allow me to make a list of PC stores that don't support mods for every single game:
- Microsoft Store / Game Pass

"Mod support" just means allowing the user to modify the game files. This is not a luxury: being able to see and modify every single file that resides on my storage drives is a basic expected "feature" in a personal computer.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah we'll see pay for mods is about what I expect for the Bethesda titles. Some new wave gaas thing they will see if it catches on.

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
Allow me to make a list of PC stores that don't support mods for every single game:
- Microsoft Store / Game Pass

"Mod support" just means allowing the user to modify the game files. This is not a luxury: being able to see and modify every single file that resides on my storage drives is a basic expected "feature" in a personal computer.

Right, like I said I absolutely agree that it's expected and I want it too.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't checked in awhile but are game files basically hidden still? That part definitely needs to be fixed. Agree with others that Ms has way too many restrictions on gamepass titles so if I'm going to buy a game, I'll do it on steam.