• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
A truce between Israel and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad movement in Gaza will go into effect at 11.30 p.m. (2030 GMT) on Sunday, helped by Egyptian mediators, the armed group said.

"We appreciate the Egyptian efforts that had been exerted to end the Israeli aggression against our people," Islamic Jihad spokesman Tareq Selmi said.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Resistance against aggressive powers is heroic!

*Palestine not included

In general I think the west's attitude towards resistance is entirely based on geopolitical interests and not on any consistent principle of equality or peace. You can even see it here where a thread like this won't make it past page 4 whereas the Ukraine thread has...how many hundreds of pages now? The western world was okay with South African apartheid until it was no longer advantageous to be, and it took decades to get to that point.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Be extremely careful while browsing tags on social media. Israel bombed a cementary where people were grieving their loved ones, and the video of the aftermath is going around. Shock site level of nsfl.

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely awful. And of course the rest of the world will continue to do nothing.

RIP to the victims 💔

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Aljazeera reporting some of the reactions from the people in Gaza:
Abu Hamada said she had just had lunch with her son before he went out with one of his friends.

"Less than a minute after he left, I heard a loud bombing," Abu Hamada said. "Immediately I went out into the street yelling 'my son, my son!'"

The bombing took place in front of a supermarket next to their home, killing five civilians, including children.

"The first thing I saw was the body of my son's best friend. That's when I screamed and knew that my son might also have been killed," Abu Hamada said. "Minutes later I found my son. He was soaked in his blood and lying on the ground. I was screaming so hard calling for an ambulance."

Abu Hamada said that Khalil was her only son, whom she conceived after 15 years of trying to have children.
😔

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Umm Mohammad al-Nairab, 60, sat weeping in the wake of the deaths of her grandchildren, Ahmad, 11, and Moamen, 5.

"Last night, the two children went out to buy things from the supermarket across the street from the house where people gathered after evening [Isha] prayers," al-Nairab said, sobbing heavily. "It was only moments before we heard a loud bombing."

"Their parents and I went out screaming: 'Our children, our children!'. There were body parts soaked in their own blood," al-Nairab said.

The children's parents were too distraught to speak to members of the media.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Israel's army said it was striking "a wide range" of Palestinian armed targets in Gaza after a 20:30 GMT ceasefire came into force, responding to rocket fire moments earlier.

In a statement sent at 20:33 GMT, the army said: "In response to rockets fired towards Israeli territory, the [military] is currently striking a wide range of targets belonging to the Islamic Jihad terrorist organisation in the Gaza Strip."

The army had issued multiple air raid warnings of incoming rocket fire moments before the truce, including at 20:29 GMT.
There goes the ceasefire

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get it. At what point does Israel realize they are the baddy and actually figure out a peaceful settlement? Or are they just going to keep letting this evil fester and eventually go full genocide on Palestine and become what they hate? They seem to be on the latter path and it's just baffling with their history.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get it. At what point does Israel realize they are the baddy and actually figure out a peaceful settlement? Or are they just going to keep letting this evil fester and eventually go full genocide on Palestine and become what they hate? They seem to be on the latter path and it's just baffling with their history.
They want everyone to be easily declared an enemy combatant. Then they can wipe them out as a whole and claim it was just a war of self-defense without thinking any more of it because they are acceptable targets to the world.

Nov 3, 2021
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Point of Comparison; Account in Junior Phase
Or are they just going to keep letting this evil fester and eventually go full genocide on Palestine and become what they hate? They seem to be on the latter path and it's just baffling with their history.
This sort of post is antisemitism-adjacent. Or at the very least, it plays into the concept of "Israel = Jews". The truth is that regardless of the history that led to its creation, Israel right now is just a country doing what all countries tend to do when nothing prevents them.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You think a peaceful settlement is the goal here? As opposed to the genocide of the Palestinians?

I think once you figure this out, you'll be able to answer most of your own question here.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Absolutely depressing. RIP to the victims, fuck the IDF, and fuck our government for that weak ass "right to defend" message when kids are getting murdered.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The world should be condemning this as a war crime. They're straight up targeting civilians and not even really hiding it.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
They (The Israeli government) want all of Palestine for themselves

God help you if you are in their way, you will have to:

1) Flee in exile to another country
2) Get evicted out of your home, forcing you into ever smaller and smaller palestinian territory, or *Go to 1*
3) Go 6 feet under, possibly by the hands of one of their soldiers
4) Live like a third rate citizen if you happen to live inside Israel
5) If you happen to live in Gaza, live under military occupation, constant attacks, and a blockade, chipping away at your humanity generation after generation, until *Go to 3*

Last edited:

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
Man just depressing when these threads come up. I mean if I living in in Toronto in relative comfort feel so hopeless.....I can only imagine who people in Palestine feel. The world just doesn't care about them and will not lift a finger. Fuck anyone who supports Isreal.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was beaten into me in 9th grade when we did a fake court room putting Palestine vs Israel. I was randomly selected to be Palestine lawyer along with the slacker of the class. We basically did an hour of research and knew our line of questioning. Teacher berated us because we didn't have witnesses to bring forth (our assignment meant you could only bring forth witnesses from your own country). I told her wait for our cross examination. We destroyed the Israel case easily and the class agreed with our case just by asking questions of Israel higher ups. We were the only period where Palestine won. I was nonplussed—how in the fuck could anyone lose this assignment.

I just become sad because this news is constant and the US can't seem to get people in power that care at all
The dam is starting to break on the democratic side at least.

Support for Palestine is going up and Israeli support is going down. Time will tell but I remain hopeful some type of progress arrives and soon.

Last edited:

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Absolutely disgusting...

I hate how they use the word "dead" to describe the lives lost in Gaza, but when an Israeli dies they use the word "killed". Fuck the west.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
The dam is starting to break on the democratic side at least.

Support for Palestine is going up and Israeli support is going down. Time will tell but I remain hopeful some type of progress arrives and soon.

Eh, AIPAC in this election cycle has something to say about this. They've been incredibly effective making sure their people win primaries. Even if the base is shifting, AIPAC still wins by peddling lies about anyone who even talks about Palestinian human rights.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, AIPAC in this election cycle has something to say about this. They've been incredibly effective making sure their people win primaries. Even if the base is shifting, AIPAC still wins by peddling lies about anyone who even talks about Palestinian human rights.
The pacs can and do still lose.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
In general I think the west's attitude towards resistance is entirely based on geopolitical interests and not on any consistent principle of equality or peace. You can even see it here where a thread like this won't make it past page 4 whereas the Ukraine thread has...how many hundreds of pages now? The western world was okay with South African apartheid until it was no longer advantageous to be, and it took decades to get to that point.

Always have and always will be.

Nov 3, 2021
I'm sorry, but what?
I just have never seen anything good come out of sentimental narratives connecting the history of the Jews to the country of Israel. People with those sorts of sentimental narratives come to all sorts of completely different conclusions, none of them good.

I'm a big fan of viewing the country of Israel as a depressingly normal country. Preferring its ethnic and religious majority, always wanting to expand, always seeking security at the cost of non-citizens' lives. Many countries have forces preventing them from indulging those tendencies, but Israel does not, because it is closely allied with the most powerful country in the world. Nothing strange about that.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I just have never seen anything good come out of sentimental narratives connecting the history of the Jews to the country of Israel. People with those sorts of sentimental narratives come to all sorts of completely different conclusions, none of them good.

I'm a big fan of viewing the country of Israel as a depressingly normal country. Preferring its ethnic and religious majority, always wanting to expand, always seeking security at the cost of non-citizens' lives. Many countries have forces preventing them from indulging those tendencies, but Israel does not, because it is closely allied with the most powerful country in the world. Nothing strange about that.

There is nothing normal about the way Israel operates and functions as a state - a highly charged fascist ethnostate that is executing apartheid. Is it enabled by the US? Yes. Does that define how other states that have the backing of the US function? Cause I'm not seeing it. I am totally baffled by the descriptor "depressingly normal", especially considering the volume and ruthlessness of their crimes against humanity.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I'm a big fan of viewing the country of Israel as a depressingly normal country.

View: https://twitter.com/MalakaShwaikh/status/1555990732237848578

It's only depressingly normal because the Western world views it that way and treats the suffering of the Palestinian people and the deaths of Palestinian children as nothing. It's depressingly normal because the victims are brown and muslim.

View: https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1556465569020485632

Last edited:

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Someone is definitely feeling the need to sanitise this - I got an ad on YouTube loudly declaring 'Israel is under attack!'

When like, they launched the operation

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

So you're sayung

1)Any country without a 'check' in place will murder it'a minorities

2)By calling out Israel for doing this = feeding anti-semitism because that's the way the world is and we are judging them harsher than other places because of #1?

If that's the case the bar is so low its effectively in hell. Why bother having courts go over war crimes or even a UN if we just need to universally embrace might is right with no attempts at stopping atrocities.

I also push back on #1 are plenty of countries with minorities where they don't go to this extreme; sure minorities get treated badly in many places but not many bomb them whenever bored, who also don't have checks and balances by your definition…its not as it the US is going to invade any of its allies, Israel is not unique.

happydeer

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2021
So why is Israel constantly allowed to commit war crimes like that while the world is just watching?

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I don't really have words for this, just the feeling of condemnation for the Israeli government. I hope there's a legitimate cease fire and some kind of lasting, equitable peace in my lifetime.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got one while watching "Well there's your problem".

Disturbing to say the least.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
This thread will get a fraction of the posts the Ukraine and Taiwan threads get because innocent Muslim lives don't matter.
There is a sense of futility when it comes to Israel's violence against Palestine. In the US it's underreported and even framed as virtuous. I can't speak for other countries but I'm sure it's no different most Western countries. I'd love to offer more substantial thoughts but it's a whole lot of "that's awful, Israel's leadership needs removed from the earth, nothing will be done." If there is anything I can do personally I'd love to hear it.

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020
I think a part of the reason why this thread is so quiet compared to others is two fold:

- The comparison to Russia and Ukraine doesn't really work because the impact of this not only effects our day to day lives (rising costs) but frankly it genuinely does put us close to a war. Realistically that won't happen but it's a significant statement from Russia.

- Secondly, I think a lot of people (including myself) don't fully understand the geopolitics at play here.

The stuff being shared here is horrific. I'm also seeing things on my social media that suggest Israel was initially under attack from groups in Gaza? I think a lot of people like me simply don't understand enough of the context and which news sources are actually explaining what is happening. Comparatively, whilst I don't understand EU politics that well, it's easier to understand how bad the Russian invasion is.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I think a part of the reason why this thread is so quiet compared to others is two fold:

- The comparison to Russia and Ukraine doesn't really work because the impact of this not only effects our day to day lives (rising costs) but frankly it genuinely does put us close to a war. Realistically that won't happen but it's a significant statement from Russia.

- Secondly, I think a lot of people (including myself) don't fully understand the geopolitics at play here.

The stuff being shared here is horrific. I'm also seeing things on my social media that suggest Israel was initially under attack from groups in Gaza? I think a lot of people like me simply don't understand enough of the context and which news sources are actually explaining what is happening. Comparatively, whilst I don't understand EU politics that well, it's easier to understand how bad the Russian invasion is.

because its been beaten into our heads that Russia = bad and similarly that Arabs/Muslims = terrorists/barbarians. It doesn't help that the US education system is awful and barely touches any of these areas in school and if it does, its to reinforce these narratives.

i know a lot of people who have a similar attitude to the point they just automatically assume Palestinians must have done something first. or done something to deserve this. or that these two sides have always been at war. so what's another new initiative and new wave of violence? this is the expectation.

but when Russia attacks, its not the norm, its news for this age and day, and reminds people of WW1 and WW2. this isn't supposed to happen. and of course the color of the skin of those being attacked comes into play. white kids are worth a lot more than brown kids in the world's eye. and I am not saying any of this to downplay the suffering in Ukraine or to justify anything Russia is doing. fuck Russia and the suffering, pain, and death they have caused.

any discussion at a political level (in congress, by any party's president, or in the media) is laughably one sided, childish, and outright dismisses Palestinians and their humanity. all i always hear is "if Palestinians just stop being terrorists the benevolent Israelis will stop fighting back and grant all the Palestinians wishes...until then its their right to kill and take more and more land". and when there are no offensives and wars, you don't hear anything about Palestinians. they disappear from any and all conversations. might as well not even exist. in those moments of "peace" and "calm", while Palestinians continue to suffer and die under occupation treated like sub-humans, no one cares or bring them up. its only when there is another outbreak of violence, do the Palestinians exist again but only to be talked down to, to stop being uncivilized, to stop being terrorists, and to stop being annoying to Israel. Palestinians only exist as the enemy during conflicts and don't exist otherwise at all.

anamika

May 18, 2018
2014 cartoon still true today. No change in 8 years.
1fc73f8b3aaf84aededa063c17098797da34ee88.jpg

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
You don't have to understand geopolitics to know that bombing children is fucking bad.

Enough with these excuses lol. Just say you don't care. That's less insulting to us Muslims.

Last edited:

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will get a fraction of the posts the Ukraine and Taiwan threads get because innocent Muslim lives don't matter.
I know it's not an excuse, but there's only so many times I can say that Israel is an Apartheid regime intent on killing innocent civilians and not be repeating myself every time.

Yes, you're right in that this should still make me feel the anger that it deserves, it's just the same shit with them every time and nothing changes.

Resignation, rather than apathy, and I'm sorry to those who deserve my sympathy just as much.

44 people including 15 children were killed for some random bloke who tried to vandalise a vehicle? Is this how Israel conduct "proportional" strikes now?

Jfc.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Also The US and Britain have actively helped Saudi Arabia bomb Yemen back to the stone age. 400,000 have died in that war. I am dumbfounded by the lack of coverage and moral outrage over it when compared with Ukraine.