• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Retard is a word we should absolutely stop using to describe people with a disability. But like idiot, moron, imbecile before them, I think our language will evolve to have them become normal swear words for idiots like Trump.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the left didn't have higher standards, then what's the fucking point?

Also Kamala isn't close to third.

The point is to get Trump out of the White House. You want higher standards? That's where you start.

The right is galvanised behind Trump and you can bet your arse he's going to get more people voting than he did last time. You aren't going to stand a chance if you aren't united as well. Which is kind of the biggest problem you have, right? There's so much aggression towards anyone that isn't Sanders or Warren that their supporters might just give up entirely and not vote at all.

I don't even want to think how many people will flat out refuse to vote if Biden gets nominated over the other two.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The point is to get Trump out of the White House. You want higher standards? That's where you start.

The right is galvanised behind Trump and you can bet your arse he's going to get more people voting than he did last time. You aren't going to stand a chance if you aren't united as well. Which is kind of the biggest problem you have, right? There's so much aggression towards anyone that isn't Sanders or Warren that their supporters might just give up entirely and not vote at all.

I don't even want to think how many people will flat out refuse to vote if Biden gets nominated over the other two.
The whole point of primaries is to hold these candidates to a high standard. "Not-Trump" is not enough to win the election. If we embrace a false peace and let candidates like Biden go criticized out of fear of Trump, then we've let Republicans hold us hostage. That's a one-way ticket to 2016.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The nom was her to take at some point, but yeah, she pretty much ruined her run.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The whole point of primaries is to hold these candidates to a high standard. "Not-Trump" is not enough to win the election. If we embrace a false peace and let candidates like Biden go criticized out of fear of Trump, then we've let Republicans hold us hostage. That's a one-way ticket to 2016.

Trump is so bad that many on the left aren't participating in the primary process at all because we are voting for anyone the democrats put up. I haven't been paying attention to anything this election cycle, really don't even care to get worked up about it. I'll just vote D and call it a day next year.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Gonna need evidence to support this claim and the inverse too.

Also current evidence shows that Trump's support is weaker, not stronger, so that's also a made up claim.

Biden supporters won't vote because their candidate is getting criticized? Lol.

If he's such a bad candidate with such flimsy support then work towards someone else getting the nomination..

The way to win is to elect strong candidates. Not prop up weak ones.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need evidence to support this claim and the inverse too.

Also current evidence shows that Trump's support is weaker, not stronger, so that's also a made up claim.

Biden supporters won't vote because their candidate is getting criticized? Lol.

If he's such a bad candidate with such flimsy support then work towards someone else getting the nomination..

The way to win is to elect strong candidates. Not prop up weak ones.

Sounds like that poster is implying sanders and warren supporters wouldn't vote for Biden if given the nomination, not that Biden voters would stay home. Sounds like a criticism of sanders/warren supporters.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like that poster is implying sanders and warren supporters wouldn't vote for Biden if given the nomination, not that Biden voters would stay home. Sounds like a criticism of sanders/warren supporters.

Gonna need evidence not feelings. Also gonna need evidence the same wouldn't apply for Biden supporters

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna need evidence not feelings. Also gonna need evidence the same wouldn't apply for Biden supporters

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the poster nor that specific point of view as they described it, it just sounded like you misread the post in your haste to demand evidence. I do agree that there's always the chance that a bitter supporter wouldn't vote out of spite despite their preferred choice. Hopefully, that poster will get back once they complete their preliminary investigation.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not necessarily agreeing with the poster nor that specific point of view as they described it, it just sounded like you misread the post in your haste to demand evidence. Hopefully, they'll get back once they complete their preliminary investigation.

That type of bs excuse is used by centrists all the time to excuse the medioctrity of their candidates and shield them from criticism

All while progressive candidates get routinely criticized.

It's hypocritical, worthless BS.

Same hypocrisy as used for the "purity test" nonsense arguments.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
That type of bs excuse is used by centrists all the time to excuse the medioctrity of their candidates and shield them from criticism

All while progressive candidates get routinely criticized.

It's hypocritical, worthless BS.

Same hypocrisy as used for the "purity test" nonsense arguments.

Understood. I simply pointed out your misreading of Biden supporters not voting out of spite because that isn't what the poster said. While it makes for an easier tangent, when something is written in text, I don't see the point of getting creative with the interpretation. That's all. Prefer warren over sanders, but will take either.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retard is a word we should absolutely stop using to describe people with a disability. But like idiot, moron, imbecile before them, I think our language will evolve to have them become normal swear words for idiots like Trump.
I don't see that happening. The trend for the word "retard" has been going the opposite of that for decades now. 30 years ago, its common usage as an insult was considered closer to those other words than it is today.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that happening. The trend for the word "retard" has been going the opposite of that for decades now. 30 years ago, its common usage as an insult was considered closer to those other words than it is today.

So the usage is going up? That's wild. Definitely feels like we're hearing it less (at least I do), but it probably depends on who you're around. I try not to use that term personally, as I never wanted my little guy picking it up.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Would it have been that hard to say "in the moment I agreed to a word meant to denigrate President Trump, without thinking about the word and how it hurts people with disabilities. I'm deeply sorry for those I've offended, and I'll make mental health an important issue going forward with my campaign."

Like, you're allowed to admit you made mistakes and will, going forward, fix those mistakes. Pretending things didn't happen benefits no one.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the usage is going up? That's wild. Definitely feels like we're hearing it less (at least I do), but it probably depends on who you're around. I try not to use that term personally, as I never wanted my little guy picking it up.
No, I don't think the usage is going up. I meant that the word "retard" was not considered as offensive in the past as it is today. I don't see it ending up being as socially accepted as the word "idiot" in the future because the trend has been the opposite.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Would it have been that hard to say "in the moment I agreed to a word meant to denigrate President Trump, without thinking about the word and how it hurts people with disabilities. I'm deeply sorry for those I've offended, and I'll make mental health an important issue going forward with my campaign."

Like, you're allowed to admit you made mistakes and will, going forward, fix those mistakes. Pretending things didn't happen benefits no one.

I think election of Trump has fundamentally altered the reality that leaders CAN make mistakes. To ADMIT a mistake is to concede wrongdoing and an affront the notion of strength.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think election of Trump has fundamentally altered the reality that leaders CAN make mistakes. To ADMIT a mistake is to concede wrongdoing and an affront the notion of strength.
Only to people who'd never vote for her anyways. This has now become an issue that will haunt her campaign, versus cutting it off right at the start because no one is going to buy the "I didn't hear it" excuse.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, what if it's actually true... in ADDITION to his actually vile traits such as malignant narcissicm, pathological lying, bullying etc. ?

I absolutely agree. This feels more and more like a repeat of 2016. The left is tearing its candidates apart in purity tests and over minor issues.

I'm observing how in the most left-wing echo chambers that I frequent (Era, the left youtube'sphere) only Warren and Bernie exclusively receive praise and are talked up while all other candidates are criticized fiercely as if they are the enemy. This will have a damaging effect in the general election and combined with the portion of progressives, who will again stick their heads into the sand after they've been denied the Bernie nomination, this will make things really difficult in 2020 despite Trump's low poll numbers.
The majority of criticism over Harris is not about 'minor issues', it's about her career as a prosecutor and AG, where she propped up and contributed to a system which ruins lives and targets people of color. The way she chose to wield power when the executive of an entire branch of state government is a pretty good indicator of what her presidency would look like, and the results aren't pretty.

It would be different if she had ever apologized for or did some self reflection on her time as a prosecutor, but she has refused to do so. Why should anyone trust her to meaningfully dismantle or reform systems that she was herself a part of and is proud of her work in those systems?

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
I know the term "punching down" already exists, but do we have a phrase for when you punch down while simultaneously punching up? Like when Colbert repeatedly beat his audience over the head with "Putin and Trump are gay, isn't it funny how gay they are?"

All these shitty stabs at powerful people do is tell marginalized folks that they're still marginalized, even by the people who claim to offer solidarity.
I stopped watching Late Show w/ Colbert a while ago, his entire premise is just taking cheap shots at Trump with no substance to get applause from the audience, like his "Trump's mouth is Putin's cock holster" joke.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Her response was, for me, the worst possible one: that she didn't hear the words, which means she thinks I'm stupid and will just go along with that when the video clearly shows otherwise. Either Double down on it, or apologize for it, but don't treat me like I'm stupid.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped watching Late Show w/ Colbert a while ago, his entire premise is just taking cheap shots at Trump with no substance, like his "Trump's mouth is Putin's cock holster" joke.
Neoliberal "humor" is an abomination and must be cleansed from this world. The fact that they see themselves as allies while so aggressively punching down is agonizing. Colbert is a real bootlicker, too. When Justice Scalia was found dead, Colbert went out of his way to defend the Scalia's legacy and appeal to his humanity while purposefully ignoring what a wretched person he really was.
Her response was, for me, the worst possible one: that she didn't hear the words, which means she thinks I'm stupid and will just go along with that when the video clearly shows otherwise. Either Double down on it, or apologize for it, but don't treat me like I'm stupid.
She's a Democrat, which means she's going to uphold the status quo in the same way Republicans do, but act like she's an ally to marginalized groups. Never mind that she's terrible at keeping up the facade.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I was reading this thread and I got to thinking that I thought her response is slightly Trumpian with the denial of what is obviously true and refusal to apologize. We all know she heard the offensive comment - it's why she laughed and remarked "well said" in response.

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading this thread and I got to thinking that I thought her response is slightly Trumpian with the denial of what is obviously true and refusal to apologize. We all know she heard the offensive comment - it's why she laughed and remarked "well said" in response.

Yeah, she's done this kind of stuff a lot throughout the primary so far and it shows a real lack of integrity on her part.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Circumstantial "evidence" coming. Got a couple of American friends on Facebook who are big Bernie fans, and all of them proudly screamed about either voting for Trump to spite Hilary or didn't vote at all because Sanders wasn't the Democratic party's pick to meet Trump.
SO yeah, I can imagine them sitting this out and whining about how stupid Americans got Trump re-elected.
(As a side-note, I do hope Sanders is the pick because if you want one Elderly White Guy to run the country he might as well be a decent person. Though I have gotten the impression he's going to tell the world to fuck right off? At least that is how Swedish media portrayed him before the last election)

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Circumstantial "evidence" coming. Got a couple of American friends on Facebook who are big Bernie fans, and all of them proudly screamed about either voting for Trump to spite Hilary or didn't vote at all because Sanders wasn't the Democratic party's pick to meet Trump.
SO yeah, I can imagine them sitting this out and whining about how stupid Americans got Trump re-elected.
(As a side-note, I do hope Sanders is the pick because if you want one Elderly White Guy to run the country he might as well be a decent person. Though I have gotten the impression he's going to tell the world to fuck right off? At least that is how Swedish media portrayed him before the last election)

This is worthless. Statistics show they are not representative of voters. You just have two dumb friends

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
This is worthless. Statistics show they are not representative of voters. You just have two dumb friends
A couple, a bunch, a group, several.
(Actually not two, but still too few to provide a statistical certainty. However it's not like I find it hard to believe Sander votes would spite-vote. No fury like the righteous.)
And I know how dumb or smart they are, some rando on Era however?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
(Actually not two, but still too few to provide a statistical certainty. However it's not like I find it hard to believe Sander votes would spite-vote. No fury like the righteous.)
If they voted for Trump, we all know exactly how smart they are.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
If they voted for Trump, we all know exactly how smart they are.
Like, not really?
Yes, I think they're dumb assholes, but that stems from the fury they felt over being "mistreated" by the Democratic Party. However I can absolutely see this happen again, especially if some Centrist Wet Dream like Biden is picked. (Like, why is he even in the running? He has the charisma of a wet towel, and seems to be basically Repub-lite.)

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Ok. So what do you want to do about it?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Like, not really?
Yes, I think they're dumb assholes, but that stems from the fury they felt over being "mistreated" by the Democratic Party. However I can absolutely see this happen again, especially if some Centrist Wet Dream like Biden is picked. (Like, why is he even in the running? He has the charisma of a wet towel, and seems to be basically Repub-lite.)

If you vote for Trump you're either dumb, racist, ignorant, or incredibly greedy.

No alternatives really.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If trump gets to say what he says, then this isnt a problem. He set the bar, this is no where near as abhorrent as his rhetoric

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

well said woman. The selective hearing is off the charts had what she said is true, lol. trumpian indeed

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The trend is in the opposite direction. It was completely normalized before, and now has been getting more general pushback.