• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

At $499, are the PS5 and Series X better value than the Pro and One X were when they released?

• Yes

Votes: 1,298 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 2.1%
  • About the same

Votes: 53 3.8%

• Total voters

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
Maybe I'm being incredibly ignorant here. But I have never seen a console day 1 that had the hardware of high tier PC components.
It always felt like some great components with some mediocre ones but first time I see a complete top class package.

499 is a steal. Especially for the XSX.
Ps5 and Series X are great, but I think the X360 was even more impressive from this perspective when it launched in 2005

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
100% yes. When we look at the specs of the previous gen consoles, especially the original XB1, these new consoles are such a huge jump it's a bit absurd. Of course, that's partly caused by the previous-gen consoles releasing at the wrong time tech wise and having to use outdated and underpowered tech.

Edit: D'oh, I misread and thought you meant launch PS4/XB1. I do still think these consoles are a big jump over the Pro and One X though, especially processor and storage speed wise.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The hardware in the Series X is incredible for the price. Especially the GPU they went with.

PS5 digital is what the PS5 should cost next to the Series X. No way I'd pay $500 for one.

They're both great for those prices ($400 PS5 & $500 X).

The price of the S is insane for a piece of hardware that plays next-gen games.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
MUCH better hardware proposition, relative to the top PC specs of the time.

Near term software is weaker, but it's looking more promising in the future.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Without question. PCs with equal performance require components almost the price of each box.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Xbox and Playstation were still also trying to work gimmicks into the platform at the start of this generation with Kinect and PSmove. It is really insane thinking about how much of that Xbox reveal and first generation of it was build around the Kinect.

Apr 30, 2019
I love my 1X, but it only plays the same games at 4k. Series X will do that plus ray tracing plus have an SSD plus have an amazing CPU.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Stepping outside of the raw numbers, consider the fact that these boxes offer the ability to play new games and not just enhanced games.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
The fact that these will play new games for the next 7+ years instead of next 3+ alone makes the question super easy

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think so. SSD, Zen 2...

Definitely! I feel like next gen consoles are the most technically exciting and best console values since, well maybe Xbox 360?

All that you get for 499 is crazy to even think about. Massive 8 core 16 thread Zen 2 (hell beats my 6/12 Ryzen 5 2600X in my PC easily), super fast SSD, Nvidia 2080/TI performance class video card at least, utterly crazy!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Pro and One X were never a "good value" and Sony and ms never made bones about it

Which is kind of why I'm shocked gen 9 came in at <$600 but hindsight is 20/20

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Heck yes,
Perhaps the GPU is a wash on the Xbox side (it was amazing in both cases), but the CPU, ultra-fast NVMes, custom texture decompressors, and custom audio hardware push these above and beyond.

Perhaps the only thing less impressive is the ram, but the SSDs and extra hardware more than make up for that.

I don't think the PS4 Pro was all that impressive, it was modest, the tech in the PS5 blows it out of the water.

FlashFlooder

Oct 30, 2017
The hardware in the Series X is incredible for the price. Especially the GPU they went with.

PS5 digital is what the PS5 should cost next to the Series X. No way I'd pay $500 for one.

The difference between PS5 and Series X is minuscule. Probably the smallest delta we've seen between consoles, at least in modern times.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The Pro kinda sucked. I mean I don't regret upgrading to it, but it's kind of useless without a 4K display and even with one... eh.

Never owned a One X but it seemed like a much better value proposition and better designed.

New consoles seem really solid, at all price ranges. Although I also thought base PS4 was really solid, hitting native 1080p on almost everything in 2013 was great.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
definitely better values today. That xss price is killer. I might pick one up down the line

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1000% yes, these new machines are great. PS4 Pro and XOX were just stopgaps, I only got the Pro due to a generous trade-in deal and it being on sale at the same time. On my 4K TV games look fine, but not massively better than the regular PS4. PS5/XSX are legitimately impressive machines at their price points.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wut?

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
I paid $400 for a PS4 with Knack and Killzone, $500 for Spiderman and Demon's Souls (plus Watchdogs and AssCreed) so I'd say yes, it's a better value. I could have picked the digital version for the same price of a PS4 but I didn't. I had the option with the PSN "raffle" but decided with the backwards compat, I'd go with the disc version for my son for Xmas. So overall, yes. Easily.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
This poll is so dumb, how can you compare hardware refreshes who only new thing is enhancements on games that you could still play with the OG consoles to the next iteration of consoles with new games

Is like comparing the New 3DS to the Switch

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

Which part are you saying that to?

Edit** Maybe this will make sense if I represent them as a single type of hardware.

RTX 2080 $500 (SX) <-- good deal IMO
RTX 2070 $500 (PS5) <-- not a good deal IMO
RTX 2070 $400 (PS5D) <-- good deal IMO
RTX 2060 $300 (SS) <-- good deal IMO

I know the GPUs aren't direct comparisons, but that's how I see the systems "deal wise" as someone that purchases both Xbox & PS5.

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Which part are you saying that to?

Edit** Maybe this will make sense if I represent them as a single type of hardware.

RTX 2080 $500 (SX) <-- good deal IMO
RTX 2070 $500 (PS5) <-- not a good deal IMO
RTX 2070 $400 (PS5D) <-- good deal IMO
RTX 2060 $300 (SS) <-- good deal IMO

I know the GPUs aren't direct comparisons, but that's how I see the systems "deal wise" as someone that purchases both Xbox & PS5.

This is the strangest comparison I've seen between these consoles.

Imagine if someone valued these consoles on a single component alone. Anyone could use literally anything to make a case.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
In terms of value of raw technology at launch price, it's hard to argue there's been anything as good as the PS5 and S|X.

I would say in terms of value for raw technology (ignoring games and services available, just the tech): PS5DE > Series X > Series S >= PS5 >>>> One X >> Pro

SubTXT

Jul 24, 2020
Surprised to see the unanimous "yes." They both hit later in the generation with a better stable of immediately playable games and new games on the horizon that were going to take full advantage of the hardware after years figuring out current gen development.

That said, they were probably bad value if you had the original PS4 or Xbox One. I had the Xbox One and never upgrade to the X because I was waiting for next gen. I didn't have a PS4 or PS3, so the PS4 Pro was like literal gold. I got two generations worth of incredible missed games (when you included PS4 remasters/ports), and 4K HDR support (well, really 1440p).

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. Xbox Series S is just crazy at that price. PS5 DE would be too if it weren't for the actual price of the games.
That's why I bought the S. You can't get a cheaper next gen entry and with gamepass I'm good to go already in terms of content and seeing Microsoft now this will be a no brainer sub for years to come.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see the unanimous "yes." They both hit later in the generation with a better stable of immediately playable games and new games on the horizon that were going to take full advantage of the hardware after years figuring out current gen development.

That said, they were probably bad value if you had the original PS4 or Xbox One. I had the Xbox One and never upgrade to the X because I was waiting for next gen. I didn't have a PS4 or PS3, so the PS4 Pro was like literal gold. I got two generations worth of incredible missed games (when you included PS4 remasters/ports), and 4K HDR support (well, really 1440p).
But PS5 has the full slate of PS4 games, too, for anybody who hasn't had a PS4, so that point doesn't really factor in, IMO.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
PS5 and XSX for 499 is crazy good value. You can't replicate that performance for the price on PC, especially with the SSD.

PS5DE for 399 is even crazier I guess.

Apr 21, 2018
I'm pretty happy I skipped out on the mid-gen upgrades. Although it gave me FOMO for the remainder of the generation, I'm ready for a bigger upgrade for a better price.