• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
www.overclock3d.net

ASUS issues warning to ROG Strix RX 5700/5700XT users

Existing owners can upgrade their cards with new mounting hardware.
ASUS has released a notice to its ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700/5700XT users to confirm that some of their users have been experiencing thermal issues with their graphics cards; and that they have uncovered the root cause of the problem.

In their notice, ASUS claims that their ROG Strix RX 5700 series graphics cards were designed to conform with AMD's design standards, which claim that GPU coolers should use a mounting pressure of 30-40 PSI to ensure reliability. After extended R&D testing, ASUS has found that this mounting pressure is too low for some of their graphics cards.

To address this issue, ASUS has increased the mounting pressure of all January 2020 or newer ROG Strix 5700 series graphics cards to around 60 PSI through the use of new mounting hardware. This design change has improved the heat transfer capabilities of their Radeon new RX 5700 series graphics cards.

ASUS has confirmed that this mounting hardware is currently being shipped to the company's service centers, and that in March 2020, users of older ROG Strix RX 5700 series graphics cards will be able to send their GPUs in for a free mounting screws upgrade. ASUS has stated that the ongoing effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) may delay the shipments of these mounting screws to some ASUS service centers.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah "washer mods" are a thing

AMD has really been sloppy on their GPUs lately, from design to BIOS updates to driver issues.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm pretty sure AMD spec doesn't completely disregard memory VRMs for the second AMD ASUS card in a row.

AMD deserves a ton of flack for Navi issues, but nah. This specifically is on ASUS.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have a hard time recommending AMD cards right now, but an even harder time recommending anything other than Sapphire cards. Seems like they always have solid cards. Doesn't have the bling that other brands bring, but they work.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
That's bullshit excuse. ASUS has a testing department to verify how their cards really preform. AMD specs are there as recommendation. If they actually thoroughly tested how the final product will behave, they would have seen this problem. ASUS also released a defective 5700 xt product under the TUF brand. It was so bad that quietly swept it under the rug. Their AMD GPU team seem to not know what the fuck they are doing.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
That's bullshit excuse. ASUS has a testing department to verify how their cards really preform. AMD specs are there as recommendation. If they actually thoroughly tested how the final product will behave, they would have seen this problem. ASUS also released a defective 5700 xt product under the TUF brand. It was so bad that quietly swept it under the rug. Their AMD GPU team seem to not know what the fuck they are doing.

Believe me they know very well what they are doing.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Also not to mention that AMD spec for a reference card absolutely would not apply for an AIB cooler. ALSO. AMD uses thermal PADS on reference design which requires less mounting pressure for optimal heat transfer.

I betcha ASUS used paste.

You think they use thermal paste on VRM with their STRIX card?
Uh what?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why are we even discussing that when the article is about their Strix card?

It takes a different amount of pressure if you're using thermal paste versus using a thermal pad. If AMD's spec is built around a thermal pad rather than a thermal paste, then the pressure will be wrong and the cards will be too hot without the proper contact. Apparently Asus built their card around the specs that AMD gave them.

Basically it's mostly Asus' fault. Though I do think that AMD should be giving their partners the correct pressure when using thermal paste, which is what most of them are going to use.

edit: In the past it wasn't an issue because AMD used thermal paste on their reference cards.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
It takes a different amount of pressure if you're using thermal paste versus using a thermal pad. If AMD's spec is built around a thermal pad rather than a thermal paste, then the pressure will be wrong and the cards will be too hot without the proper contact. Apparently Asus built their card around the specs that AMD gave them.

Basically it's mostly Asus' fault. Though I do think that AMD should be giving their partners the correct pressure when using thermal paste, which is what most of them are going to use.

edit: In the past it wasn't an issue because AMD used thermal paste on their reference cards.

Do we actually know for a fact the recommended PSI Asus is talking about was specifically meant for thermal pad usage?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Do we actually know for a fact the recommended PSI Asus is talking about was specifically meant for thermal pad usage?

Makes sense to me. Thermal paste would be thicker and require more pressure. Doesn't excuse Asus for not doing their own homework though.

Just my opinion, but in the future I think AMD should let Sapphire handle the reference designs.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
It's amazing how every almost every generation, buying a reference AMD card and throwing an aftermarket cooler on it is a better buying option than buying 80%+ of the AIB cards

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I have a hard time recommending AMD cards right now, but an even harder time recommending anything other than Sapphire cards. Seems like they always have solid cards. Doesn't have the bling that other brands bring, but they work.
Seems almost everyone except Sapphire put out at least one Navi card with some wack cooling decision.
Makes sense to me. Thermal paste would be thicker and require more pressure. Doesn't excuse Asus for not doing their own homework though.

Just my opinion, but in the future I think AMD should let Sapphire handle the reference designs.
TBH, when I used the then-ATI cards briefly several years ago for smaller and cheaper builds I had done some very brief research on what brand to use, as I had become disenchanted with eVGA and MSI (for the same reason, at the same time!) and wasn't sure. It seemed like Sapphire was the closest thing to reference that had a good price and build. I never, ever had any issues with those cards.

It's weird to think that looking around recently for the same information (I might be switching to a 5600XT on my Linux box) Sapphire is still "the" one to go for in terms of reliability and price. I'm fine with this.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Sure it was Sapphire only back in the late 2000s. Crazy how it's still the same.

I don't like the AMD design of the chip though and this low pressure mounting.