• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a wonderful game and it's the most appealing thing on the system until we get release dates for Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop, Returnal, etc. etc.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I actually expected it to review better given Astrobot and given it's free, but I guess it's only a bitsize experience and most reviews are simply saying they wanted more of it. Still, this will definitely be the first thing I play on the system. Can't wait.

Astro's Playroom is a free pack-in, but it's one of the best games I've played all year. You're all going to absolutely LOVE it.

Sweet.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Astro OpenCritic, currently at 85.
opencritic.com

Astro's Playroom Reviews

Astro's Playroom is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 77 critics, with an overall average score of 84. It's ranked in the top 9% of games and recommended by 91% of critics.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
opencritic.com

Astro's Playroom Reviews

Astro's Playroom is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 77 critics, with an overall average score of 84. It's ranked in the top 9% of games and recommended by 91% of critics.

Miles Morales - 86
Astro's Playroom - 85
Demon's Souls - ??

Either way, looking like an excellent launch line up of exclusives.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Much better reviews than I was expecting. Thought it was just a smaller throwaway demo, but it's actually a full fledged game. And it's free. Nice!

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Genuinely wonder how Astro's playroom will stack up against Sackboy's Adventure, considering both titles are cut from a similar cloth. I was more excited for Sackboy, but maybe now I should probably be looking forward to Astro's.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Great reviews. Asobi seems like a very talented group of people within Sony Japan. I hope they get to make a full blown platformer next.

Shame i didn't manage to pre-order a PS5. Astrobot, Sackboy and Spider-Man would have been more than enough as launch lineup.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This game looks so good. I will get a PS5 in the distant future but I can't wait to play this game first

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Was not expecting from this game, has gone from 'I might mess about with it for half an hour' to 'gonna play through after Demon's and Miles.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Yeah the appeal of Sackboy is long gone. Astrobot is just better in every way.

Nov 1, 2017
opencritic.com

Astro's Playroom Reviews

Not Astro related, but wow at the Yakuza: Like a Dragon average. Currently higher than 0 and Kiwami 2, two of my favorite games of all time, let alone the series. This month is gonna be wild.

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'm looking forward to spider man and demon's souls this is definitely the first thing I'll be playing on PS5, really excited to experience all the DualSense tricks for myself after all the praise

OP
OP
Acquiescence

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Okay, that's most of the reviews added for now. Also added a OpenCritic link, since they were late with their listing. Quite the gap between them and Metacritic, but not at all surprisingly when weighted scores are removed from the equation.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Bodes well for a proper, full fat follow-up to Rescue Mission, whether it's in VR or not.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Watched Giant Bomb quick look, advise to watch maybe a bit over first 20 minutes, after that they warn that they will show spoiler end of the game collectibles.

The game is full of charm and love for PS history. It was really refreshing to hear Jeff and Brad, one of not many people who were the longest in the industry and somewhat jaded a bit, be so cherry and recollecting memories about their time on PS coverage. They even felt a bit melancholy.

Whoever was in charge sure went all out for a free game. It simple yet very effective at presenting Dualsense features.

Just look at the game as fun interactive PlayStation Disneyland. Also game is short yet provides good replayability like speed run levels are actually separate levels.

Its a free game that has value of 20$.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
For the follow up I really want to see them lean into PS cross over stuff. It's the perfect way for them to bring all their franchises together in a mashup despite all the conflicting art styles. Maybe have a co-op mode where everyone gets to pick an Astrobotified version of a PS character.

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
What a pleasant surprise. I love that this come installed in the console and I would play the heck out of it. And back in 2013 Knack was a 60€ game... what a difference.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ars doesn't have a review of this up yet, but, yes: Astro's Playroom is exactly what it needs to be as a console pack-in. And the Easter eggs, which Sony asked us to keep mum about, are freaking delightful (and include third party game references).

But I can't help but wonder if the scale was shrunken in the middle of development. To wit: There's only one boss battle through the *entire* game, and once I beat that boss, I said aloud, "There really should've been more of these."

I hope this means some good ideas were held back for the sake of a fully blown retail follow-up. What's here is good and fun enough to merit one.