• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
astros-playroom-screenshot-10-ps5-en-03aug20

Metacritic - 83 | Opencritic - 84

Eurogamer - Essential
That's neither here nor there, though. While promising a glimpse of the future, Astro's Playroom is a gloriously old-fashioned thing at heart, a characterful, character-driven platformer that has been built to showcase a particular piece of hardware. So often that's where magic in video games happens, and that's most certainly the case here. On its own, this is a beautifully crafted, exquisitely paced and absolutely gorgeous 3D platformer. Combined with the hardware it's bundled on, it's something very special indeed - and one of the best launch titles I can remember in an age.

Push Square - 9/10
Astro's Playroom is deserving of every single superlative you're likely to hear associated with it. As a platformer, it's a varied and entertaining experience that's constantly introducing new and exciting ideas over the course of its campaign. And as a DualSense tech demo, it's similarly effective at showcasing the power and potential of Sony's new hardware. But perhaps above all, this is a love letter to the legacy of PlayStation, and it feels fitting that as we enter an exciting new chapter from an undeniably iconic gaming brand, we take a moment to remember the milestones that got us to this point.

Polygon - no score
I can't say I had very high expectations for Astro's Playroom, a game that comes free with every PlayStation 5 console. I figured it might be a cute series of minigames, akin to the robot-themed minigames in the PlayStation 4's pack-in title, The Playroom. That PS4 game was the sort of thing you boot up once, mess around with for 30 minutes, and then forget it exists. Astro's Playroom is not that. This free pack-in is one of the best games of 2020.

Destructoid - 7/10
Astro Bot has replaced Knack as the cute Sony mascot and I'm okay with it. Although Astro's Playroom isn't a killer app, booting up your PS5 and playing it for free is a great way to get accustomed to your shiny new toy from multiple angles.

Gamespot - 8/10
The best and worst thing I can say about Astro's Playroom is that its role as a demonstration feels a bit wasteful. It's a wondrous little dream world, and I would have loved to spend more time touring it. But that, in itself, is a tremendous achievement. Astro's Playroom, a game that makes no attempt to hide the fact that it is an excuse to show you what a gamepad can do, conjures a world that you will want to see and explore. More than that, its surprisingly delightful celebration of PlayStation and its video games is a great way to kick off a console generation.

IGN - 8/10
Astro's Playroom surprised and delighted me. This PS5 pack-in most certainly hues closer to a technical showcase, essentially a loosely-structured sandbox to mess around in and discover what the PS5 has to offer. But it has enough collectibles, creative ideas, and genuinely exciting uses of the DualSense that PS5 owners shouldn't brush this one aside in the launch lineup. After months and months of hearing how the DualSense would immerse me like never before, Astro's Playroom put promises into practice and impressively proved what's possible with the PS5's new controller.

GameInformer - 8/10
At its best, Astro's Playroom recaptures the magic of my favorite Lego video games – except the license on display is the PlayStation brand instead of something like Star Wars or Marvel. The cameos are plentiful and amusing, with franchises that go beyond the first-party catalogue, along with some surprisingly deep cuts that made me feel very old. But in the midst of all that history, Astro feels like an adorably fresh face; I'm glad to see the character break out of the confines of VR and reach out to a broader audience. Astro's Playroom may not be the deepest or most ambitious game on PS5, but its humor and playfulness are just delightful.

EGM - 10/10
While many may initially see it as a throwaway free demo for the features of the next-generation console it comes installed on, Astro's Playroom is a wonderful surprise whose price does not speak to its quality. Though it certainly does showcase what the PlayStation 5's new DualSense can do, the game actually has far more value being just that: a game.

Trusted Reviews - 10/10
In the modern landscape it's easy to believe we've seen everything the medium has to offer, but then something like Astro's Playroom comes along and redefines all previous conventions. It's pure platforming excellence and hopefully spells a bright future for one of Sony's finest current mascots. Playroom's most valuable asset is arguably its dedication to PlayStation's history. It approaches 25 years of consoles, games and accessories, from a perspective that shows nothing but love for those who created them and the players who have crafted everlasting memories from their own experiences.

TheGamer - 8/10
As a game, Astro's Playroom is plenty enjoyable. As a tech demo, it sells you on PS5's new features almost instantly. It also does an incredible job of clouding your head with nostalgia, even if some of it does feel a little corporate at times. Remember the lightgun we made? Eh? EH? Saying that, the final area - which unlocks after you've completed the main four regions - is one of the best Easter eggs I've ever seen in any game. I won't spoil it, but please make sure you see it to completion. I beg of you.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
Astro's Playroom is an irresistible delight. Going into it, I thought it was just going to be a short tech demo, and while that's partially correct, it's more than meets the eye. It's overflowing with PlayStation nostalgia that '90s and '00s kids will get an absolute kick out of it. Even then, this is a competent platformer that perfectly demonstrates the PlayStation 5 and DualSense's capabilities. It helps that Astro is adorable and a fantastic new mascot for the PlayStation brand that will get even more attention moving forward. There are areas that don't live up to the rest of the game, such as the gyroscope section, but this bite-sized two-hour experience will have you excited to see what future games will implement. Not bad a packed-in tech demo that disguises itself as a game.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5/10
With its much hyped status as a showcase of the DualSesne controller's fancy new haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, it's equally important to recognise that like Astro Bot before it, Astro's Playroom is a fundamentally excellent platformer that commendably stands on its own merits. Equal parts a stirring demonstration of the capabilities of the DualSense and PS5 console as it is an excellent traditional platformer, Astro's Playroom might just be the best pack-in title of all-time.

XGN - 8.8
Although Astro's Playroom does feature a few gimmicks it's undeniable that this game is an amazing showcase for the PS5's DualSense. All while being a great 3D-platformer Astro's Playroom shows not only a love for PlayStation's history and shines brightest when utilizing the fantastic haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

COGconnected - 93
Alas, Astro's Playroom is only a few astonishing, magical hours long. There are lots of collectibles to go after and a leaderboard driven speedrun mode, but when I finished I was still hungry for more. And that's kind of the only criticism I can levy against it. The way it leverages PlayStation's history, I can't wait to see what irresistible creation Team ASOBI comes up with next. In the here and now, Astro Bot has earned a place in my heart among the very best of PlayStation's franchises.

Vandal (Spanish) - 8.2
Although Astro's Playroom does feature a few gimmicks it's undeniable that this game is an amazing showcase for the PS5's DualSense. All while being a great 3D-platformer Astro's Playroom shows not only a love for PlayStation's history and shines brightest when utilizing the fantastic haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

Press Start Australia - 8.5
As a free pack-in game, Astro's Playroom is a great showcase of the new DualSense controller. More importantly though, it goes above and beyond in celebrating the history of PlayStation. There's throwbacks to PlayStation's greatest games and moments at every turn and it's a genuine delight from start to finish.

God is a Geek - 9/10
With Astro's Playroom being a pre-installed game for new system owners, you'll almost certainly play it, but I implore you to finish it: fully see the credits. The other new games aren't going anywhere, so explore every nook and cranny and see the other Astro Bots referencing games from PlayStation history. There's something for everyone here, and some pretty obscure references, too. It was a lovely trip down memory lane, yet Astro's Playroom is incredibly futuristic and worthy of anyone's time. What a delightful thing to include with every PS5.

GamesBeat - 4/5
I love 3D platformers. You don't usually see this kind of charm and polish in the genre unless it has Mario's name attached to it. Granted, Astro isn't as acrobatic as our favorite Italian plumber. He has a simple move set consisting of a jump, a hover, and some punches. But Astro's Playroom never feels dull for a second thanks to its unbounded creativity. It's just a shame that it didn't have a few thousand more of those seconds of fun to offer.

Eurogamer Italy - 8/10
A gate that is willing to keep 26 years of videogame history. A proper museum dedicated to the PlayStation universe. An excellent platform rich of "wow" moments and built with love. Sleeping on Astro's Playroom should be considered a crime by the videogamers court.

Millenium (French) - 70
Astro's Playroom is a game that can be experienced with a lot of simplicity and without any particular expectations. It will surprise you during the few hours of gameplay it offers, and will allow you to learn more about the generations of PlayStation consoles as well as the DualSense controller's features. This is a great surprise from the creative and generous ASOBI development team and is a great way to start a long adventure with the next generation of PS5 games!

Jeuxvideo.com (French) - 16/20
Cute as everything and very well paced, Astro's Playroom is a nice little treat for PlayStation 5 buyers.

DarkStation - 10/10
Look, I'm blown away by this game. It can absolutely compete with the platforming greats, and I'm including Mario in that comment. It's that good. It doesn't overstay its welcome and it doesn't overuse mechanics or reuse stages. It's a very refined and beautiful world that I think is a tremendous introduction to the Playstation 5 and the Dual Sense controller. But even if it was neither of those things, Astro's Playroom is a great platforming game that I'd still highly recommend.

Game Rant - 3.5/5
In our PS5 review, we highlighted just how much the DualSense controller impressed us, and a lot of the most impressive qualities of the controller were on display during Astro's Playroom. Gamers who are looking to see the potential in interactive gaming that the DualSense can offer owe it to themselves to give Astro's Playroom a try. It also doesn't hurt that it's free.

Metro - 7/10
Astro's Playroom won't last you very long – maybe three or four hours to see almost everything – and you'll probably never come back to it but as an introduction to the PlayStation 5 and its controller it works perfectly. It may not be a killer app as such but playing Astro's Playroom leaves you with a huge grin on your face and a head full of optimism about what the new console may be able to do in the future, and that's the best introduction the PlayStation could ask for.

IGN Italia - 8.5/10
Much more than a simple tech demo: Astro's Playroom is a bite from the future and an exceptional way to understand what the new DualSense is capable of.

4Players.de (German) - 86
Astro's Playroom is a creative surprise. For the PS5 launch Asobi Team serves up a jump-and-run highlight – preinstalled!

Telegraph - 4/5
Even better are the super charming vignettes depicting scenes from classic games acted out by Astro Bots in fancy dress scattered throughout the game's levels. It's a wonderfully self indulgent cocktail of celebration and fan service more reminiscent of Nintendo than Sony - and all the more delightful for it.

Hobby Consolas (Spanish) - 8/10
Astro's Playroom it's the best possible way to try your brand new PS5. It's not just a great tutorial to try all DualSense's new tibdits, it's the best possible homage to the PlayStation brand's 25 years of videogaming history, full of references here and there. And it's free. What a pity that it ends very soon.

Game Revolution - 4.5/5
The only downsides to Astro's Playroom are that it is fairly short, and it could have used a little plot to tie the whole thing together. However, for the price, it can't be beaten, and it's a must-play for those booting up their PS5 for the first time.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9/10
Astro's Playroom is the epitome of the PlayStation 5. It's the foundational software kicking off the next generation of PlayStation gaming. ASOBI Team from Japan Studio could have just phoned it in with a handful of gimmicky levels to distract players while they wait for Miles Morales or Demon's Souls to download, but they didn't. They developed a full fun platforming experience that not only demonstrates the PS5, but celebrates 25 years of PlayStation history in some pretty special ways. It's a powerful showcase that honors everything that led to the "5" in PS5, while also providing a pretty clear picture of what makes this new generation so special.

IGN Japan - 9/10
Astro's Playroom is an exciting 3D platformer full of surprise and wonder. While its task of introducing the PS5 controller's new features can sometimes be a double-edged sword, full-fledged implementation of the DualSense's haptic feedback creates a next-gen experience only possible on the PS5. The game design of adding new ideas for each level, iterating on them, and then switching them for something completely different is reminiscent of Nintendo's design philosophy, and Astro does it just as well as Mario. At the same time, Astro's adventure through the history of PlayStation is a journey only Sony can deliver.

The Games Machine (Italian) - 9/10
Just as Astro Bot Rescue Mission was the perfect title to introduce PS VR, Astro's Playroom is a gem that works better than any manual or data sheet in creating a real man-machine relationship, informal, very pleasant and extremely fun. The DualSense proves to be an exceptional controller with absolutely unique sensory possibilities, capable of bringing the player even closer to the gameplay. Not a traumatic revolution, but still one that leads to a new and unknown level of intimacy that, apart from VR, had never been reached in a "traditional" video game. Its nature as a pre-installed software gives Astro's Playroom a sensational value in terms of empathy and "first impact" with the new generation, communicating in the language of fun and surprise everything there is to know about the characteristics of PS5. Something far more important than any judgment.

SpazioGames (Italian) - 7.4/10
Astro's Playroom is way more than a tech demo: it's fun and brilliant, definitely worth playing.

Atomix - 9/10
Believe me when I tell you that as soon as your PS5 is ready, what you should do before anything else, is to start playing Astro's Playroom. You will have time for the other games, this is the one that will really feel you in a completely new generation of consoles that can do things that definitely, something like the PS4 could not.

Everyeye.it - 8.2/10
Astro's Playroom is the tangible demonstration of the incredible potential of DualSense, but also the sublime meeting point between the past and the future of PlayStation.

VGames - 8/10
Astro's Playroom is charming, fun and makes amazing use of all the new Dualsense features. Is it a perfect game? No, not at all - it's quite short and too easy. But this is probably the best game Sony could've shipped with PS5 consoles.

The Guardian - 4/5
Inspecting all that gaming gubbins up-close as a tiny robot gave me a new appreciation for the art of Sony's hardware design. I'm not a technically minded gamer, and for me the appeal of individual consoles has always been decidedly secondary to the games I can play on them. But there is proper magic in how engineers and programmers create the machines that enable our gaming experiences, and Astro's Playroom helped me to see it.

Next Gen Base - 8/10
As a game, Astro's Playroom is a fine platformer to bundle in with the PlayStation 5. However, as a tech demo, it is a simply astonishing way to showcase the DualSense. The Adaptive Triggers are the real star of the show here, and coupled with the haptics, gave me my first true "next-gen" experience.

GAMINGbible - 8/10
Astro's Playroom is just that; a playroom for the next generation - a small glimpse into what the PlayStation 5 will be able to do with the DualSense. There's no reason not to play it and for long time fans of the console there's a lot of really fun callbacks to dig deep and discover. Highly enjoyable gaming and not an extra penny spent? Please and thank you.

Gamer.nl - 8.5/10
Astro's Playroom is on the very short side and that is a great pity. This game illustrates that the new DualSense controller is much more than a gimmick, but is also a formidable platformer bursting with detail and vision. Sony, please turn this into a full game.

Video Chums - 8.5/10
Astro's Playroom is perhaps the best pre-installed console launch game that I've ever played. In fact, it's so good that it provides even more incentive to get your hands on a PlayStation 5.

TheSixthAxis - 8/10
Astro cements himself as the PlayStation 5's mascot with a celebration of all things PlayStation that also showcases the full potential of the immersive new DualSense controller. Astro's Playroom is the first thing you should play on PlayStation 5.

Areajugones - 8.4/10
Astro's Playroom is a game developed with great love that has surprised us greatly. It is the perfect excuse to enjoy all of the details that the DualSense's technology hides within its form.

AusGamers - 8/10
Crisp visuals and smooth performance paired with tried-and-true gameplay and a controller that feels and behaves unlike anything that has come before - Astro's Playroom is well worth spending some of those first PS5 moments with. The speaker, the motion controls (when limited to simple motions only), the impressive HD rumble, the adaptive triggers, it's all here and impressive. Playing off the in-game visuals and surround sound coming through your headset or speaker setup it's as much a proof of concept as it is a fine 3D platformer and a celebration of all things PlayStation. It leaves you wanting, and pining for a full-sized Astro adventure too. One built from the ground-up for Sony's new console and groundbreaking new controller.

VGC - 10/10
Astro's Playroom is both DualSense's killer app and an unmissable, imaginative tribute to PlayStation's history. Games have never felt this satisfying.

Critical Hit - 8/10
More than just a tech demo for the DualSense controller, Astro's Playroom is a stunning showcase for the PS5 and the very first game that you have to try out on the next-gen system. Fine-tuned for maximum haptic feedback fun, Astro's return is a marvel that celebrates the past and the future of the PlayStation.

Last edited:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Astro's Playroom is a free pack-in, but it's one of the best games I've played all year. You're all going to absolutely LOVE it.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Seems Sony needs to make Astrobot the official PS mascot yesterday

Oct 27, 2017
WOW

I've been saying that I'm probably most excited for this game, so I'm clearly happy to have that justified. These reviews are off the charts so far tho

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I skipped around the giant bomb review to avoid spoilers and Jeff was absolutely gushing about this

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
www.vice.com

'Astro's Playroom' Showcases the PlayStation 5's DualSense Controller

It's also a surprisingly good platformer that'll put a big smile on longtime fans of PlayStation games.

That's a good word for Astro's Playroom as a whole: satisfying. It feels good to look at, it feels good to play, and it functions as a justification for Sony's experiments with DualSense. Whether those experiments pan out is somewhat out of Sony's hands, but Astro's Playroom offers a roadmap for how other developers could take advantage of it. If no one else does—well, at least we'll have Astro's Playroom. And Astro's Playroom is pretty damn good.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Sony will continue with this series, in VR or not. It's clear that there are some people in their Japan Studio with passion and competence to create something remarkable in the genre so a full size big budget game could be incredible. Stoked to play this, loved the VR game!

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Honestly, I think Sony should invest in Astro more. Don't get me wrong I think Sackboy is adorable, but having a family friendly mascot platformer like Astro would really benefit Sony. Especially since you can clearly make is also tie into the legacy of Sony to appeal to older gamers. Give the team a decent budget and tell them they can make a AAA platformer and get the time they need to make it super polished. It will obviously never be Mario, but maybe it can become a franchise that gets 3 85+ games a generation and bank on 3+ million?

I don't know. I just want more Asobi.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Haha can't say I was expecting reviews for Astrobot. Seems like a fantastic freebie!

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
This will be the best launch game. and I'll platinum it just like Rescue mission lol. It's gonna be pure fun and joy to look at.

Oh and I hope Sackboy reviews well too. That game looked surprisingly good.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
oh wow, does Astros Playroom have a shot to be the highest rated freebie console pack-in game ever?

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Yes it does, Greg miller posted a video on his Twitter feed
My review:

Words: https://www.nextgenbase.com/astros-playroom-review/
Video:

As a game, it's fine. As a demo for the DualSense? Unbelievable. Genuinely.

Yes, and it's achievable, I got it in 3 days

Hello yeah! Love me a good platinum in a platformer. The rescue mission platinum was one of my favorite ones I've ever gotten so im reallylooking forward to this.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Great reviews. Not getting a PS5 this year but I'm looking forward to how it uses the DualSense.

Can't wait for Astro Bot 2 on PSVR2.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad this is reviewing well. I'm getting both consoles at launch but the PS5 launch is definitely more enticing to me right now.