• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
While the PS5 and the games that will figure into its launch lineup will hopefully be solidified at tomorrow's PS5 digital event, there is one game that we absolutely 100% know will be available right from launch - mostly because it will be built into the console itself. Astro, who made his debut as a mascot for the PSVR with Astro Bot Rescue Mission, will now act as a mascot for the entire PS5 itself in a 3D platformer that comes preloaded onto every console. And while, according to Sony, the primary purpose for the game seems to be to showcase the features of the new Dualsense controller, it's hard not to look at the game as an homage to the series that created the platforming genre, one that is also celebrating its 35th anniversary this year.

I mean, just a quick look at this:

and you can see a lot of the same gameplay elements seen in these games, releasing as a compilation this week:

Of course, this isn't unheard of for Sony to try and create a more accessible gaming experience. We got the same thing with the game bundled in with the PS4 when it launched, with a character meant to be the PS4's new mascot - Knack.
2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

And yes, Knack is one of the greatest games ever made, but memes aside, it really isn't. And it seems like a lot of the lessons Sony learned from it, namely making a game that apes Nintendo's style, seem to be in play here with a game that basically looks like you could switch Astro out for Mario and nobody would bat an eye. Even better, it's confirmed that the game has Astro running around a PS5 console exploring levels based on its features, including tons of references to Sony hardware, as the trailer showed above. It seems like Astro's Playroom may be the perfect mashup of Nintendo's style in modern Mario games, focusing a lot on nostalgia to be effective. The big question, of course, will be if it can nail the gameplay.

In short, for Sony's sake, hopefully Astro is more like Mario, and less like Knack.

BECAUSE NOBODY CAN BE LIKE KNACK BAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEE (obligatory dunkey reference)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It won't be like Knack. Knack is really horrible. Astrobot is well regarded.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I take it you haven't played Rescue Mission, OP. I haven't either, but reviews and people on here seemed to suggest it's far better than a mere Mario homage.

(And yeah, I see clear elements of Galaxy and Odyssey in the footage we've seen so far)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had more fun with Astro Bot Rescue Mission than Mario Odyssey, which is easily on the lower end of 3D Mario games.

Might not have longevity but I think it'll be a fantastic start to PS5's lifecycle.

It'l be the Resogun of it's era basically.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
if this is sonys way of introducing a new mascot to their base and they do it right with this. It def can be More Mario than Knack. Im really excited to see how this turns out it seems promising.
I mean the fucking craps have a dustpan and brush for hands LMAO.

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure it will have a significant impact that Mario games have had in the past, but I think people are sleeping on Astrobot. It looks like a really fun game, far more than Knack ever was. I just wonder how long it is.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely Mario. I really hope Sony doubles down on Asobo/Astro, if they make Astro Bot 2 playable in both VR and Non-VR they got themselves a winner.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Surely it's PS5's The Playroom or Playroom VR? Both also free pack-in's with the PS4 and PSVR respectively.

It's just the new Playroom title?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't it start with the PS4's Playroom, which was also pre-installed on every system?

And Knack wasn't a bundled game in the U.S., at least not at launch. I think it was just Japan since the PS4 launched later there, but I'm not sure.

I think the PSVR game gave it a lot more attention with how well crafted it was, so hopefully this one will get more attention. It already looks like it's a lot closer to a regular game than the PS4 Playroom was.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If it's as good as Astrobot Rescue Mission it's Mario level. But I don't think it's trying to be. It should be fun though.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
PS5's Wii Sports. A game to show the capabilities of the controller in a fun way.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
If it's near the quality of Rescue Mission then it'll be great, but I'm not sure how long it will be.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Astro Bot on PSVR is the best 3D platformer since Super Mario Galaxy, so I have high hopes for this being a great little pack-in. Please don't disrespect Astro Bot like this, OP.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Neither.

It's going to be a short experience and something that won't last long

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be as bad as Knack surely, but also won't be as good as Mario. It seems more like a tech showcase than anything.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Not sure it will have a significant impact that Mario games have had in the past, but I think people are sleeping on Astrobot. It looks like a really fun game, far more than Knack ever was. I just wonder how long it is.

That's my thought too. Apparently it's only four worlds, which as long as those worlds are well-thought out and unique, I'm okay with. I don't need this to be a massively long game.

But again, I'm more excited for this as someone who is big into 3D platformers. Also, Shuhei Yoshida, who is one of the top dogs at SIE Japan and used to head up the studio, is well known as a gigantic Nintendo fan.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There's an actual game here that's a couple hours long though, I don't think it's just disjointed little demos and minigames.

Yeah this definitely seem like more traditional platforming stages kind of thing rather than a mini game collection.

But they've also very openly talked about it being a handful of worlds to show off the new features of the DualSense. As The Playroom was to PS Camera and The Playroom VR was to the PSVR.

I wouldn't jump straight to Mario 64 when we're talking about a new free Playroom pack-in.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
You can tell here who hasn't played Astrobot Rescue Mission lol

Yeah this definitely seem like more traditional platforming stages kind of thing rather than a mini game collection.

But they've also very openly talked about it being a handful of worlds to show off the new features of the DualSense. As The Playroom was to PS Camera and The Playroom VR was to the PSVR.

I wouldn't jump straight to Mario 64 when we're talking about a new free Playroom pack-in.

Yeah it's not anything on the level of Mario 64 or any similar platformer that's launched with a console. But the quality will be there if not quantity. Expecting no more than 3-4 worlds an an intro world that take like 20-30 mins each at most.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Neither. It's going to be a really fun pack-in that people who buy a PS5 will enjoy playing.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what it is, except that it's not PS5's Knack. Has way more charm than that. But it's also not PS5's Mario, since Sony is pre-installing a smallish Astro game on PS5. It's more like a tech demo thing that showcases hardware. But it's so good that it deserves more than that.

Jul 3, 2019
Yeah this is just a cute pack in lite game. In no way would this compare to Mario 64 launching with the N64. That was a revolution. This will not be.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Many people would consider Astro Bot on PS4/PSVR a Mario-level platformer.

Astro's Playroom won't be as good, but I'm sure it will still be great. What the real interesting thing will be is how Astro Bot 2 shapes up.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Astro's Playroom seems to be a low budget tech demo for the controller. Not really comparable.

That said, Astro Bot was already better than any Mario game so a proper sequel could definitely still be on that realm.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't see this being as in-depth as Rescue Mission– more of an extended demo than anything. It'll be fun for an hour or two though.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yeah even if it's VR only...Astrobot 2 is gonna be an instant classic
i hope they actually make them the mascot perfect for them, even the scheming of VR and the PS5 it seems like this could be them introducing everyone to astrobot then the next astrobot is fully playable in VR and on the system.