• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this.

Love that it feels like a 90's platformer nostalgia trip.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
As someone who didn't join the PlayStation "family" until the PS4, this game really made me realize just how much of the PS history I've absorbed through gaming culture by osmosis regardless of not owning the platforms. Lots of fun references and nostalgia that I only experienced secondhand.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Finished, wonderful.

I haven't played loads of them but I dont think I've ever enjoyed a platformer as much as that. I'd be day one on another Astro game like that.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Phenomenal game all around. Props to Team Asobi. This game just oozes charm.
Sony, greenlight a full fledged Astro's Playworld!
"S-S-Deeee"

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Loved the surprise final level. That was great homage to how it all started. Some great details that I'm sure I've missed many. Got quite a few of the artefacts and puzzle pieces. Love the interaction with some of the collectibles.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I didn't know there was an OT till just now. Wish I'd known sooner so I could've had a place to gush while I was playing.

I just got the Platinum not too long ago and did the three add-on trophies. This game is incredible. Like holy shit I loved it so much. This is hands down the best launch game imo, I can't believe how great this was from start to finish. I've never seen a game filled to the brim with so much charm, ingenuity, great level design and great gameplay. The fact this was such a love-letter to PlayStation (my chief console brand since I was a kid) just added even more on top. I had a huge smile on my face the whole time as I saw so many nods and references to the great PS games I've played over the last 20-something years. If Sony don't make Astro their mascot then they're fools, plain and simple. God, I really want a full-on Astro game with a Mario budget from these people and I'll be crushed if it never happens. What a fucking game. And it was a pack-in game!!! That I just can't get over. I'd have paid full price for this, because I more than got my money's worth for it.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Lol I didn't know there was an OT till just now. Wish I'd known sooner so I could've had a place to gush while I was playing.

I just got the Platinum not too long ago and did the three add-on trophies. This game is incredible. Like holy shit I loved it so much. This is hands down the best launch game imo, I can't believe how great this was from start to finish. I've never seen a game filled to the brim with so much charm, ingenuity, great level design and great gameplay. The fact this was such a love-letter to PlayStation (my chief console brand since I was a kid) just added even more on top. I had a huge smile on my face the whole time as I saw so many nods and references to the great PS games I've played over the last 20-something years. If Sony don't make Astro their mascot then they're fools, plain and simple. God, I really want a full-on Astro game with a Mario budget from these people and I'll be crushed if it never happens. What a fucking game. And it was a pack-in game!!! That I just can't get over. I'd have paid full price for this, because I more than got my money's worth for it.
Just got the platinum a few minutes ago and wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. Have to charge the controller now, second time today, I defiintely have to get a second one. Should be less frequent now though that I have finished this, but suspect I will come back for more, it's just fun to play.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
The Demo 1 T-Rex scared me as a child, so getting to beat it up was surprisingly cathartic.

I love how quick it is to use the activities to load straight into levels and start working towards hoovering up puzzle pieces, artifacts and trophies.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to turn off the "Reclaim the lead in ______!" notifications for this game? I thought it was the Activity Challenges option in the PS5's notification settings but I switched it to always hide yesterday and I'm still getting these notifications. I even deleted the game off my PS5 and I still get the notifications for it. It's really annoying.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
It was referencing Flower.

Xw4DGMN4-astros-playroom-ghost-tsushima-850x478.png

Unless you mean a different guy with the pink flowers in the PS1 stage?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
What an incredible game. Finally beat it and finishing up the trophies. Haven't felt this much happiness playing a game in years. Deserves so so much recognition.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Best "proof of concept" game since Wii Sports.
What a fantastic idea by Sony.
And a great love letter to 25 years of PlayStation history.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to turn off the "Reclaim the lead in ______!" notifications for this game? I thought it was the Activity Challenges option in the PS5's notification settings but I switched it to always hide yesterday and I'm still getting these notifications. I even deleted the game off my PS5 and I still get the notifications for it. It's really annoying.
Came in here to ask the same thing. Thinking doing the speedrun levels was a bad idea haha.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
I finished it yesterday. One of the best experiences of this shitty year for sure. Vib Ribbon was amazing to see. I will also have to replay levels and be a bit more thorough since some of the bots can be a little hard to find - the Demons Souls one, the Days Gone one and the Patapon one for example. Also, super happy that even Ace Combat made the cut!

That being said, aren't the racing games a little underrepresented? The little red RC car is probably Ridge Racer but is there no Gran Turismo or Motorstorm or Twisted Metal?

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The part with the monkey climbing kinda sucks though. It's not consistent enough. This is why I can't stand gyro.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I would happily pay full price for an Astrobot game.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
The game is really fun and great for nostalgia, but the Orbital Obstacles level may be the most unfun thing I have ever played in a game. Controls are just god damn terrible in that area and I look forward to never replaying that part.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Game was fun. AMAZING usage of the controller and I'd love to see other games use the card system in the same way that this game did.

I always see Era hype up some 3d platformers to have level design and platforming controls that are as good or better than Mario's, and I'm always immediately underwhelmed when playing those games... but this game is not one of them. The level design is genuinely fantastic. The way it introduces you to new concepts in each world and just runs with it in splendour is confidence I've been looking for in a platforming game since Mario Galaxy 1/2. The controls and tightness of the platforming itself genuinely rival even the best controlling Mario games.

Speaking of taking a lot from the Mario Galaxy games; Only big negative for me... not a fan of a lot of the motion based stuff. It's actually more involved and annoying than some Wii era Nintendo games in some regards. All the tilting to move and angle your bot around... ughhhhh. The touchpad pinball stuff tho... BLISS. I want dlc just for that shit alone. Also, the game's usage of the arrows shows even more reasons why third party devs should implement gyro aiming ASAP.

Easily one of the best pack in games of all time, probably only behind Wii Sports since I probably don't see myself returning to this once after I've gotten the plat, sans dlc and showing off the controller demo to friends.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Got the platinum this morning. What a fantastic game from a truly talented team. The game's a great showcase for the Dual Sense but it's even better as a tribute to the PS brand.

I don't have the same level of sentimental attachment to the PS brand that others do as I was a Sega kid in the 90s but I still have fond memories of the PS1 and 2 as well. There were times when I was playing I did get a little bit emotional at certain references especially

rotating the PS logo on the PS2. That may sound silly but it gave me a flashback to setting up my PS2 back in the day and it was such a trivial thing most games wouldn't think to include.

My favourite game reference is probably the Resident Evil one. So much of that game was encapsulated in that little scene. Wonderful.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
People having troy lee with the ball controls

1) use an index finger
2) less is more, you don't have to move much
3) you can click the pad to brake

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The part with the monkey climbing kinda sucks though. It's not consistent enough. This is why I can't stand gyro.

I used that level as my coin grinding point for the Gacha solely because it was such a consistently quick level with good payout. Worked real well here. I made wider sweeping motions for monkey compared to "normal" gyro where you barely tilt, don't know if that could help.
People having troy lee with the ball controls

1) use an index finger
2) less is more, you don't have to move much
3) you can click the pad to brake
Man the ball got me feeling stupid nostalgic over on old PC bowling game where you rolled your trackball to gain momentum. Loved it just for that haha. But yeah, index finger was definitely mandatory. Tried with thumb and I guess it was reading the edge my palm as well or something, was a bit haywire.

May 17, 2018
Y'all, am I crazy, or is there really no Gran Turismo reference?

I think there are two racing references and they're both Ridge Racer.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Got the platinum last night, great game and what an amazing experience for Sony fans. So many great nods, would love to see the total list of ps game shoutouts

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Game was fun. AMAZING usage of the controller and I'd love to see other games use the card system in the same way that this game did.

I always see Era hype up some 3d platformers to have level design and platforming controls that are as good or better than Mario's, and I'm always immediately underwhelmed when playing those games... but this game is not one of them. The level design is genuinely fantastic. The way it introduces you to new concepts in each world and just runs with it in splendour is confidence I've been looking for in a platforming game since Mario Galaxy 1/2. The controls and tightness of the platforming itself genuinely rival even the best controlling Mario games.

Speaking of taking a lot from the Mario Galaxy games; Only big negative for me... not a fan of a lot of the motion based stuff. It's actually more involved and annoying than some Wii era Nintendo games in some regards. All the tilting to move and angle your bot around... ughhhhh. The touchpad pinball stuff tho... BLISS. I want dlc just for that shit alone. Also, the game's usage of the arrows shows even more reasons why third party devs should implement gyro aiming ASAP.

Easily one of the best pack in games of all time, probably only behind Wii Sports since I probably don't see myself returning to this once after I've gotten the plat, sans dlc and showing off the controller demo to friends.

Super monkey ball dual sense when?

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Game was great. Such an amazing idea. A demo of the controller, a celebration of all things PlayStation, and just a fun game overall. Loved it. Got the plat also.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Platinum get!

The cards and help videos were excellent to mop up the remaining missing collectibles. It's all so seem less and fast. Astrobot defo shows off the controller the best and a great intro to those additional new system level features mentioned.

Great "demo" though. Can't really ask for anymore as a freebie. It's a decent length and filled with lots of cool stuff. Of course I'd have loved more but hopefully we'll get a fully fledged sequel to Rescue Mission. VR or no VR. But preferably the former if they can go all out.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a PSVR and am going to wait for the second gen PSVR, but I bought Astrobot Rescue Mission for $9.99 on the PSN Store :)

Excited to play it one day!!

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
That final boss and how it built up was just perfect. Considering PlayStation history there could be no other choice.

It's hard to imagine a better built-in game that encapsulates 25 year of history for both old and new audiences. Included with likely a 100+ million consoles, the inclusiveness of this title will surely create a lot of new fans.