• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
One of the best games I've played this year, maybe ever. Could might as well be called Ode to Play[Station]. 100% fun. Well done asobi. And to think that we have a new generation of PlayStation joy ahead of us!

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to join the party and say how fantastic this is.

Yes, it's short.

But boy, does it use its playtime for wonderful things. Any PlayStation fan (or video games fan in general) should play this like now.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I got chills when you complete the Cooling Springs level and the PS3 start up chime played.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Jesus. F'n. Christ. You guys weren't kidding. This vibration, the Triggers, this is f'n magic. Ho-ly shit. But... I don't want to buy my multi post games on PS5, don't make me do this. 😅

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't believe what a delight this game was. Hopefully a proper full-length Astro Bot is already in the works. It could be one of PlayStation's best games ever.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Being playing a fair bit today, it really is an excellent little game. I've had a blast playing and finding the references to other games.

Ico is my favourite so far but I've caught loads! It did crash on me though and I lost a little progress.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Finished Astro, finished Miles, half way through Demon Souls.

Astro is still the only game I think about... its so good.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
How long is this game out of curiosity? I know there was some speculation pre-release.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Being playing a fair bit today, it really is an excellent little game. I've had a blast playing and finding the references to other games.

Ico is my favourite so far but I've caught loads! It did crash on me though and I lost a little progress.

Ico was really epic! So far I think the Resident Evil one is my favorite. Can anyone tell me what the reference is for the sad bot in the lab, who plays with blocks and tries to set a sphere with a blue light?

Also, the GPU Jungle music is a banger, I keep humming it even right now.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Man just missing a Syphon Filter reference!

Finished main content a while ago, sadly won't be able to Platinum this weekend due to my Valhalla review :)! Loved it we need more Astro this gen

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ico was really epic! So far I think the Resident Evil one is my favorite. Can anyone tell me what the reference is for the sad bot in the lab, who plays with blocks and tries to set a sphere with a blue light?

Apparantly it's Knack, lol.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Resident Evil was my favorite one too! It was great, especially Jill's reaction.

Isn't the pile of blocks supposed to be a fallen apart Knack? I don't really remember a sad bot though so maybe that's a different one.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how good this is, and more so I can't believe it's free. Even tho it's short I'd have paid €40 for this and would not have regretted it. Simply outstanding.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I love that one of the labo models is a table with PlayStation tote bags with orange handles, same as the ones given out at the last three years of PlayStation Experience.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The collectibles are amazing. Really takes you down memory lane. Some awesome touches and packed with little touches that make you smile. A really nice celebration of all things PS.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I think it's supposed to reference Beyond: Two Souls? Never played it though so I'm not 100%. I just remember in trailers there being a blue light you control while Ellen Page tries to guess which block

And for everyone saying Knack they're probably thinking of the bot playing with all those polygonal pieces not too far from your reference

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yay 😁 I guess I should spice up the OP
no pressure IMO - it's low key

I love that one of the labo models is a table with PlayStation tote bags with orange handles, same as the ones given out at the last three years of PlayStation Experience.
The game has its share of obvious references, but it is legit absolutely packed with stuff like this that I feel like 75% of players wont see or get. You can literally just walk around levels and try to figure out what they're referencing - it's like a legitimate activity in the game lol

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
Wow this game is legit one of the best experiences I had. I just beat it last night and now I want the original Astrobot game to be playable in non-vr. This game is better than alot of paid games lol, great way to kick off the PS5 launch

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
no pressure IMO - it's low key

The game has its share of obvious references, but it is legit absolutely packed with stuff like this that I feel like 75% of players wont see or get. You can literally just walk around levels and try to figure out what they're referencing - it's like a legitimate activity in the game lol

Definitely! Some of these are really damn obscure. I'm guessing I've had my fair share of these easter eggs go over my head.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Playing this on a C9 with HDR is a sight to behold. What a beautiful game.

While it's not a full-fledged title like the PSVR original, it does such a fantastic job introducing the wider audience to how charming, magical, and fun the Astro Bot IP is. I know it's oft-repeated, but it's polished and carefully crafted to the levels you'd expect from a flagship Nintendo platformer. There's a seemingly unending amount of love poured into every corner of the game world.

Kenneth C M Young really knocks it out of the park again with the soundtrack — one of the core aspects of any fantastic platformer. It's full of whimsy and earworm melodies that are expertly interwoven with the mood and art direction.

I haven't touched on the DualSense integration yet, but it's absolutely something that must be tried and felt to understand. Astro's Playroom makes a compelling argument for why developers should dedicate ample time to cleverly make use of its features. Some standout moments for me were feeling the resistance triggers for the first time, skating on ice, and walking on cloud fluffs. Simulating all these different textures provides yet another level of immersion that's easy to take for granted until you go back and play with standard controllers.

I was left smiling throughout my entire playthrough discovering all the references to PlayStation's past and present. This is a love letter to gaming in the way only Smash Bros. has succeeded.

Bravo yet again, Team Asobi. Sony, you goddamn fools, give them all the money and resources to produce a big budget platformer on both PS5 and PSVR2.

Onwards to the platinum trophy!

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished and got the platinum today.

A couple of annoying motion control moments aside, it's a bloody fantastic game.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
Got my PS5 today and before anything else I just had to platinum (impossible without a guide) Astro.
Such a great game and an amazing ride down memory lane. I was smiling and giggeling like a teenager throughout my whole playthrough and I would be more than happy to pay 30Euros for this.

Hats off to Sony and Asobi! Just wonderful!

References I found:
ICO, MGS, Resident Evil, GoT, GOW, Horizon, Ape Escape, Knack, Heavy Rain, Detroit, FFVII, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, ICO, SOTC, Jax & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Locoroco, DMC, Castlevania (?the blonde guy in the coffin?), Wipeout, Concrete Genie, Killzone, The Order, inFamous, The Puppeteer, Ridge Racer, Medievil (?), Spyro, Crash Bandicot, Sly, Bloodborne, but I have no idea what the zombie with the rice hat should be...

Edit: and a bangers soundtrack! GPU...GPUUUUU! or the top hit
SSD, SSD XD

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Got my PS5 today and before anything else I just had to platinum (impossible without a guide) Astro.
Such a great game and an amazing ride down memory lane. I was smiling and giggeling like a teenager throughout my whole playthrough and I would be more than happy to pay 30Euros for this.

References I found:
ICO, MGS, Resident Evil, GoT, GOW, Horizon, Ape Escape, Knack, Heavy Rain, Detroit, FFVII, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, ICO, SOTC, Jax & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Locoroco, DMC, Castlevania (?the blonde guy in the coffin?), Wipeout, Concrete Genie, Killzone, The Order, inFamous, The Puppeteer, Ridge Racer, Medievil (?), Spyro, Crash Bandicot, Sly, Bloodborne, but I have no idea what the zombie with the rice hat should be...

SSD, SSD XD

That one is a reference to the Siren series. :]

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

References I found:

SSD, SSD XD
They even included the underrated masterpiece that is Puppeteer? Wow that's really awesome!
cant wait to play it one day :)

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
They even included the underrated masterpiece that is Puppeteer? Wow that's really awesome!
cant wait to play it one day :)
I found a clip.
idSvvGj.mp4

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020

bholliday

Nov 15, 2020
Just a wonderful title. I initially booted up Miles after unpacking my PS5, but all the positive feedback surrounding both Astro and the Dualsense turned my head.

One of my favourite gaming experiences ever and a true love letter to the playstation brand. Very rare to feel this level of childlike joy but DAMN is the controller implementation something else. How do you programme a controller to simulate the feel of a pool float?!

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Man this was an amazing nostalgia trip. And a good platformer. And a unique experience with the DualSense.

I was optimistic from the get-go regarding the DualSense, but even I thought Mike Bithell was exaggerating when he said you could feel individual raindrops on the DS... Then it happened in Astro and holy shit it's the real deal.

I have no doubt that Sony's initial plan (before Covid got in the way) for the PS5's release was to have kiosks everywhere where people can try Astro, because anyone who experiences this would have been a guaranteed sale.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have to shamefully admit that I've never played it. The timing of ita release was rather unfortunate and I was already a 100% invested in PS4. :(

Yeah, they really should have released it on the PS4 instead. That way it might even have sold more than five copies.
But it's available on PS Now in case you ever run out of new games to play. It's a really wonderful experience in my opinion :)

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat this last night. What a wonderful little gem! I adored it, and the music was so great too. I'm going to get the platinum.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
This game is definitely not to be slept on..Played it last night for the time time and it's amazing. The DualSense controller is really a game changer.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The GPU song has been stuck in my head for a week now. It's SO GOOD.

Look at the light
It falls just right
My shadows they please
Beneath the trees.
But none of these things
Happen for free
Yeah all that you see
Rendered by me.

I synthesise and rasterize immaterial things
That I fabricate for you. For you ...
Yes I tessellate and animate
These dancing sprites
And sunlit skies for you.
I do it for you. I'm your GPU.
GPU
Tell me what to do
And I'll do it for you.

You've never wondered why
I catch your eye
It's coz you overlook
All the choices I took.
I spend all of my time
Deceiving and misleading you
I like to surprise
With my virtual lies.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Just finished it and played around to get the platinum trophy. What an incredible and charming little game. Now Sony has to give Asobi a bag of money and let them do their thing.

Still shocked that this was free.