• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
Yeah the severe lack of RPGs outside of Final Fantasy VII is a bit odd. Not even Persona from what I gathered either.

Damn, I'm mad at myself for not even remembering that.

What kind of GTA tribute would you want to see? Slamming someone's head in a car door, with realistic DualSense™ haptic feedback?

I don't think it would have been out-of-bounds if one bot was driving a car and another bot walked up and stole it. Done in a cartoon-y way it could have worked.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
I assume the Grand Tour is probably the reference to GT (as mentioned by others). Especially as, if I recall correctly, in the credits, when it is thanking partners/other companies, Polyphony Digital is mentioned (I could be dreaming this up, but I totally remember seeing their name and being completely flummoxed as to what their cameo was, as I didn't pay attention to trophy names).

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Can anyone clue me in on what the reference is for the group of bots standing in a circle on the snowy section? One has a toque and I think another had a flashlight? Edit: Nevermind, looks like it was "Until Dawn"

Like I mentioned in the previous thread, I'm just super glad they put in a jumping flash reference, but there are so many great ones.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
The lack of Siren bummed me out, but that's all I have to contribute to this. At least Keiichiro Toyama had something featured to begin with, so can't complain too much.

Huh? I thought this was Siren.

Siren.png

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
This seems like a game they could easily develop some DLC levels for if the demand was there--I feel like ~$20 for a few more levels would get people. Plenty of room for your suggestions in future iterations, OP.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Gran Turismo I think is difficult because there isn't really an iconic reference you can put in that would make people go "oh yeah, THAT'S Gran Turismo," except maybe a trophy with the GT logo on it (or, hilariously, the yellow/green driving school icon, but I think that's just a generic driving school icon in Japan?). Ridge Racer works because that red F/A Racing car is instantly recognizable as a Ridge Racer car. You can't really do that with Gran Turismo--if you put in a random Skyline, is that really a GT reference?

Twisted Metal is the one I'm surprised there's no reference to. Everyone knows Sweet Tooth.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they forgot to reference Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust.

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like they could have just had a car under a tarp with a bot or two trying to pull it off. That image from the cover art of the first GT feels pretty iconic to me, but I guess the EU and JPN art might have been different.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
DO I missremember or did they ommit the entire handheld/portable line of hardware & software?

As for the games they probably were limited on what they had the rights to, and old 3rd party games or from Studios that closed is pretty easy to understand why it was omitted

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of GTA tribute would you want to see? Slamming someone's head in a car door, with realistic DualSense™ haptic feedback?
CJ bot flying a jetpack while some cops/gangster are shooting at him
It also happens to be really good, and an awesome call back to the opening scene of the first game.
That's awesome to hear.
I would love to see it! I want more Kat/Raven, more from GR.
Agreed.

Kat in particular is just one of the most fun protagonists ever. Raven grew on me a lot throughout the games and I would like to see more of her and the rest of the cast.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
DO I missremember or did they ommit the entire handheld/portable line of hardware & software?

As for the games they probably were limited on what they had the rights to, and old 3rd party games or from Studios that closed is pretty easy to understand why it was omitted
Nope. PSP & Vita are in there including references to series started on the PSP (Locoroco, Patapon, etc).

-edit-
I have to agree with others that it's a bit odd not to see the Playstation TV (Vita) when they go as far as having the Buzz controllers for PS3 or some of the PSP add-ons like the Mic or Camera. I just was not fully sure of this since the only items I'm currently missing in the game are locked up in the Gashapon machine.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Loved seeing Jumping Flash.
I was wishing they'd reference it while playing that level, and sure enough it was there a minute later. :)

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I know Sony didn't make them but the GunCons are pretty iconic accessories and would have been nice to see.

Nov 21, 2017
I loved Astro's playroom the only nods I was shocked I didn't see were for Gran Turismo, Legend of Dragoon, Twisted Metal, Yakuza, and Persona since other then Twisted Metal these were all games/series well known in the PlayStation's history especially in the Japanese market.

Well I guess they need to save more PlayStation references for future Astro games.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about having GTA or other games in it since it was PlayStation hardware focused for the most part. I didn't know the PSP had so many peripherals. Never heard of the PSP mic or camera attachments...

JoueurN1

May 15, 2020
there must be a reference for Gran Turismo because in the credit scene , Japan Studio mention polyphony Digital

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
GTA was 'a playstation' game for about 1 game for 8 months. It was a long running PC franchise, then GTA3 launched on PS2 and like 6mos later launched on PC, and a few months later on Xbox. A lot of people played GTA on their PS2 but it's not a PlayStation franchise.

Twisted Metal though yeah

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I mean, you gotta save some stuff for the inevitable sequel... 👀 (come on and give us another Astro's Playroom, Sony! it's a given we're going to get Rescue Mission 2 for PSVR2, but i'd love another Playroom game too).

There's definitely a lot of PS history missing, but there's also soooo much of it that I was legitimately surprised at how much they managed to cram into each level. The game is still a love lever to PlayStation like we've never gotten before, but it's hardly comprehensive.

While we're on the subject of PS love letters, we need a PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale 2, with just as much love poured into PS history as Astro's Playroom. Ah, I can dream...

Oct 25, 2017
GTA, Twisted Metal and Kingdom Hearts were pretty massive omissions for me. There was a racing game at some point, but it was hardly a real reference