• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Im not sure this has been mentioned but i couldnt find any posts about it... i dont even know if it warrants its own topic... but i thought it was cool.

almost all the main artifacts in ASTRO's PLAYROOM (with serial numbers) feature the name of a playstation industry vet as the serial number.

Shu Yoshida is on PSVR (this one was really small even zooming in, but its there)
QXtuek6.jpg

6ZZ2ajA.jpg

on PS1
oQ5ACoi.jpg

Sugiyama on Ps2 network adapter
JDebSRb.jpg

Ishii on psslim
SoAyAob.jpg

Seb on PS3
HXufDAl.jpg

Uchida on ps3 superslim
VxL04tM.jpg

Yamada on PSP
rDLnm2x.jpg

Noda (Sensei) on psp go
5aT5GiI.jpg

theres more but i also havent gotten EVERYTHING yet!

also sorry if this is old news, if thats the case go ahead and nuke this post!

Nov 8, 2017
I'm loving all the easter eggs and references but I know tons of them are going right over my head. What a fun game.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Every day I'm more convinced Astro's Playroom is the GOTY.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I loved every bit of this game - It's been a long time since a pack in title has garnered this much adoration from me.

OP
OP
SomaXD

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
I loved every bit of this game - It's been a long time since a pack in title has garnered this much adoration from me.

yep, it might be the playstation history trip, that nostalgia with every reference brings a smile to my face... but dammit if this game doesnt pack charm... definitely one of the best free pack in games!

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Sony is smart, they can turn Astro into their super mario, the charm and polish this game has is amazing.

swimming

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a flawless game

beautiful visuals
insane controls
genius design
great music
secrets around ever corner that don't require a guide
collectibles
speed run
charming throughout

i mean...... it's literally perfect

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This kind of love for everything playstation was the kind of stuff that was missing from Playstation All Stars Battle Royale =P

It is made with love and it shows

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Astrobot is another Mario 64 moment. I can't get over how delightful and fun this game is. I got to the final boss earlier this evening and I was grinning ear to ear. The whole game is one giant nostalgia overload, and none of it feels tacky or out of place. As others said, Team Asobi get it. They know their PlayStation history and have impeccable taste when it comes to gameplay, art and sound design. When you factor in the game being a showcase for all of the features that make the DualSense special, you've got a generational game here. Astrobot Rescue Mission was my favorite game for PlayStation VR, and right now, Astrobot Playroom is my favorite PS5 game. Certainly one of the best pack-in games I've ever played. It's almost criminal that it's free.

I know people cling to Crash, Kratos or Nathan Drake, but Astrobot is absolutely the PlayStation mascot in my mind.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Yeah I remember seeing KUT4-R4G1 or something to that effect on one and then noticed a bunch more after. Just overflowing with charm!

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I figured this was common knowledge as they're easy to spot. Astro's Playroom is charming and perfectly placed as a pack-in game. It has the same self-assured self-referencing design that makes a lot of Nintendo games charming too. It's great.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yea, this team needs a half a million bucks and two years to pump out another, bigger title for PS5.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is so ridiclously awesome.

Listen when
they brought back the fucking demo t-Rex I lost it. I was like this is such a celebration of playstation

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Yeah I noticed the tributes right away. I kept looking for Mark Cerny but I never saw one for him.

yep, it might be the playstation history trip, that nostalgia with every reference brings a smile to my face... but dammit if this game doesnt pack charm... definitely one of the best free pack in games!

No it's just a great game. I'm older and don't even have much nostalgia for the PlayStation brand and Astro's playroom is fantastic. I'm not surprised as the VR game was incredible too. Just a great game by talented devs.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Team Asobi is so incredibly talented. After playing Playroom it's very clear why Nicolas Doucet was promoted to president of Japan Studio.

Please give me a fully-fleshed-out 2D Astro platformer. That might become my most hyped game if it were to be announced.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I have this weird feeling that this game has some weird huge secret that hasn't been uncovered.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
it's a flawless game

beautiful visuals
insane controls
genius design
great music
secrets around ever corner that don't require a guide
collectibles
speed run
charming throughout

i mean...... it's literally perfect
I honestly agree with this sentiment. I was just blown away at how perfect it was, especially for a free pack in game!

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Uh you aren't getting much of a game on half a mil for two years.

Isn't this team only like 10 people or something? I could have sworn I remember reading the AstroBot team was super small.

Edit: Okay, never mind, the team size is closer to 30 people. So a few million bucks, and two years. I just want MORE of this charm. Which is weird, because when I SEE AstroBot, I just think he looks kind of uninspired...and then I play it, and all of that washes away instantly.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This is so ridiclously awesome.

Listen when
they brought back the fucking demo t-Rex I lost it. I was like this is such a celebration of playstation
I wasn't too surprised by that considering it was in the Labo stuff. Though I was expecting
Polygon Man
and was surprised it wasn't present in the game at all.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Damn. Can't wait to play it - had planned to play No Man's Sky first but think it'll be this instead.

BTW, as an aside, has anyone tried Elite?

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
This lil guy is so much better than it has any right to be. So much care put into every little nook and cranny! I love it.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Isn't this team only like 10 people or something? I could have sworn I remember reading the AstroBot team was super small.

Edit: Okay, never mind, the team size is closer to 30 people. So a few million bucks, and two years. I just want MORE of this charm. Which is weird, because when I SEE AstroBot, I just think he looks kind of uninspired...and then I play it, and all of that washes away instantly.
I mean even if it was 10 people, half a million would only last a year if they're each paid 50k a year.

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the ASOBI team gets the recognition they deserve, within the organisation as well as outside. I'd be super stoked to see what they deliver if they got a blank check to persue their ambitions.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't too surprised by that considering it was in the Labo stuff. Though I was expecting
Polygon Man
and was surprised it wasn't present in the game at all.

It's less surprising when you consider how much Ken hated the idea. He was at E3 when he first saw it and Phil Harrison said that he went ballistic over it. And that was the end of Polygon Man.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's less surprising when you consider how much Ken hated the idea. He was at E3 when he first saw it and Phil Harrison said that he went ballistic over it. And that was the end of Polygon Man.
Lol, I never knew that. Very interesting. That is the end until...

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (RIP)

I just learned how to do blur spoilers :D

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I never knew that. Very interesting. That is the end until...

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (RIP)

I just learned how to do blur spoilers :D

As far as PSABR goes choosing Polygon Man as the final boss was always a weird choice because aside from him only being used briefly in marketing, he was also a character exclusive to the US. So for people around the rest of the world it had to be like a big "WTF?" moment. The T-Rex was included in a number of demo discs, so it was something everyone new about.