• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
M87's core is nice and all but i wished they first show an image of Sagittarius A*. But i can wait.

Edit: Wait, M87 is the central galaxy of the Virgo Cluster?! No wonder that central blackhole is so large and powerful.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
image from one of the papers. GRMHD is a simulation, maybe a sharper photo would look something like that.
apjlab0f43f1_lr.jpg

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's basically what I expected, but it's still amazing. To this day black holes are responsible for my favorite astronomical phenomenon.

Hyper Velocity stars.

You wanna have your mind blown by physics then Google Hyper Velocity Stars. I saw it talked about on the science channel awhile back and I still can't believe they are a real thing.

Hypervelocity starsEdit
Hypervelocity stars (designated as HVS or HVin stellar catalogues) are stars with velocities that deviate substantially from the normal velocity of stars in a galaxy. Such stars may have velocities so great that they exceed the escape velocity of the galaxy.[19] In the Milky Way, stars usually have velocities on the order of 100 km/s, whereas hypervelocity stars, have velocities on the order of 1000 km/s. These fast moving stars are more numerous near the center of the Milky Way, which is also where most are thought to be produced. One of the fastest known stars in our Galaxy is the O-class sub-dwarf US 708, moving away from the Milky Way with a total velocity of around 1200 km/s.

The existence of HVSs was first predicted by Jack G. Hills in 1988,[20] and their existence confirmed by Warren Brown, Margaret Geller, Scott Kenyon, and Michael Kurtz in 2005.[21]As of 2008, 10 unbound HVSs were known, one of which was believed to have originated from the Large Magellanic Cloud rather than the Milky Way.[22] Further measurements placed its origin within the Milky Way.[23] Due to uncertainty about the mass distribution within the Milky Way, determining whether a HVS is unbound is difficult; five additional known high-velocity stars may be unbound from the Milky Way and 16 HVSs are thought to be bound. The nearest currently known HVS (HVS2) is about 19 kpc from the Sun.

As of 1 September 2017, there have been roughly 20 observed hypervelocity stars. Though most of these were observed in the Northern Hemisphere, the possibility remains that there are HVSs only observable from the Southern Hemisphere.[24]

It is believed that about 1,000 HVSs exist in the Milky Way.[25] Considering that there are around 100 billion stars in the Milky Way, this is a minuscule fraction (~0.000001%). Since the second data release of Gaia (DR2), most high-velocity late-type stars are found to have a high probability of being bound to the Milky Way.[26]

In March 2019, LAMOST-HVS1 was reported to be a confirmed hypervelocity star ejected from the stellar disk of the Milky Way galaxy.[27]

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. Shame they didn't also get Sag A*, but failure is part of interferometry after all : p

Hoping for "our" black hole in due time.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i love everything that has to do with the universe, space etc. and seen this picture made me smile for some reason. Wow

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
sad thing is from your point of view you would never ever get inside, stuck at the event horizon for all eternity
No for a supermassive black hole you could cross just fine. You would not even notice. The bigger the black hole the weaker the initial tidal forces on your body.

From someone observing you, you never cross. Think what that means. To you crossing, events happen for you. To us, no events happen for you. And both of us are correct in our observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.