• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
This gane forces you to smile all the time. It is not just amazing, it makes you feel like a child, like when a kid opens his/her Christmas present and plays for the first time his/her brand new Genesis with Sonic or snes with Mario and were mind blown with a joy face.

You just want to see the next stage because each one is even better than the previous.
I've never been fan of platformers, but this one is much more than that.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's gutting that I need a PSVR to play this - but a buddy of mine has one so I may have to convince him to let me borrow it and I'll pick the game up.

Hear so much good about it!

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
I will never understand why 3D platformers never try to copy a bit more how 3D Mario controls. Give your characters some momentum god damn it!!!

I am only in world 4 and while the game is great it still does not capture the Nintendo magic for me and does not feel sufficiently 'physical' and playful in its gameplay.

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
Masterpiece, what I love the most - you just keep playing thinking there is no way they can top current level you play, but they manage to push even furher every single time.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I really need to finish this. I love what I've played and you can't help but smile the entire time.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
I need to go back to this at some point, I only played up to the third world and it never really clicked with me for some reason. I think after all the praise I was expecting to be blown away from the beginning and that didn't really happen.

I enjoyed what I played though.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I dont think a game has ever made me feel as warm and fuzzy inside as this game. I've said something makes me feel like a kid again enough times when talking about games. But this game really truly did capture that same feeling I had when I used to boot up my old Nintendo games as a kid on our wooden floor model TV in the basement. I have fun playing games and love the shit out of them but rarely do they make me feel genuinely happy. This game did that. Being fully immersed in this world in VR caused every negative emotion I might have had lingering in my mind completely melt away.

The next game in this series on PS5 is probably the easiest purchase I will make next gen.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Best experience I had on PSVR with Wipeout, Rez and RE7.
Astro Bot is a very charming game.
It's also very derivative game in the sense I could immediately catch the source of inspiration of the various mechanics and the encounters/obstacles the game throw at you (mostly from Nintendo games).

this really invoked mario 3d land to me, in the best possible way
I agree.
How Japan Studio leveraged PSVR potential while at the same time avoiding the pitfalls is reminescenting of what Nintendo did with 3D Land in relation to 3DS features.
In both cases the games were carefully designed around the platform.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Just revisited the game tonight, and did some challenges. Phenomenal game. I wish I could erase it from memory to experience it new again.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I liked it a lot, but at the end of the day it was a middling platformer with lots of fun VR related gimmicks around it. It's entertaining, but I've experienced so much more worthwhile games in the VR medium.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Best platformer ... of the generation? Maybe?

Certainly it was the best VR game until Half-Life: Alyx came out.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I liked Astro Boy but found it a bit shallow and simple. Mechanically your movepool was pretty limited even by the end and the biggest innovation was simply existing tangibly in VR, though a lot of that is present in other VR platformers like Lucky's Tale. I felt a little bit underwhelmed even though I enjoyed it, probably due to the fact that I'd already played some more complex VR stuff at the time. I can't wait to see what the team does for the sequel, though, because it will surely be mind blowing given how strong a foundation they have built.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
One of my fav VR games for sure, and my fav platfomer. It has that classic Sony feel, too.

I do hope Sony prioritizes VR stuff on this level going forward.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with the OP. I am an old cynical bastard that has been gaming for over 40 years and playing AstroBot made me grin throughout which I probably haven't done since playing Mario 64 for the first time (24 years ago!).

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I love coming to these threads of folks discovering how good Astro Bot is. No game brought me as much pure joy this generation as this one - not even close.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Still sad it never got an accessibility patch that allows the camera to turn left and right without you having to use your body.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Until HL Alyx, it was the only VR experience that had really impressed me, and it really was great! It did give me serious headaches from all the damn head movement you have to do though.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is amazing indeed, and it made me a believer in VR.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I love that Astrobot. I don't have VR and so thanks for the LTTP. I can now enjoy vicariously.

Recently though, I have been wonder how awesome it would be exploit VR for Isometric God games like Black and White. Essentially a resurgence of an entire genre courtesy of VR.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty good. Can be a literal pain in the neck if you're trying to 100% it though.

I prefer Rez Infinite and Superhot VR.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
i showed this game to a lady friend i visited recently. she had never played vr or really many video games in general. Within 10 minutes she was controlling astro perfectly and making jumps well and leaning around corners naturally. I was super impressed and it goes to show that anyone can play VR when done right.

I handed it off to my dad and he could play very naturally almost right off the bat. And thats impressive. After astrobot, I've thought VR is clearly superior for a 3D platformer. More natural.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
One of the absolute best games of the generation. It made me smile more than any game I've played since I was an actual child.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I handed it off to my dad and he could play very naturally almost right off the bat. And thats impressive. After astrobot, I've thought VR is clearly superior for a 3D platformer. More natural.

Yeah. The perfect 3D, plus the 6DoF on the headset means you don't need any extra visual clues to line up jumps in three dimensions. Your mind just instantly adapts and it all becomes very natural.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Yeah. The perfect 3D, plus the 6DoF on the headset means you don't need any extra visual clues to line up jumps in three dimensions. Your mind just instantly adapts and it all becomes very natural.

Which is just incredible. Like I can be looking straight above my head and accurately and with precision have him jump behind my left shoulder and its completely natural.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
amazing game. presentation is thumb and index finger kiss for sure. broken record but if theres a part 2 i really want deeper gameplay mechanics/options its very simplistic.

Oct 28, 2017
Most important game of the generation. I love how everyone mocked that "VR's Mario 64 moment" quote when it popped up, and then shortly after it was basically unanimously agreed that that's exactly what the game was. It was no hyperbole. Astro Bot is that good and that important.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Probably my favorite VR game and you do it all with just a PS4 controller. People often discount PSVR because of the limited tracking but its also got some of the best VR games despite that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that really bothered me was if you move forward too much the camera can't go backwards even a little so you either have to do some sections blind or restart the level.

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
I just started this yesterday while I wait for Valve to ship my Index's (My town will likely resemble I Am Legend by the time that happens) thinking it would be a nice VR warm up to whenever I play Alyx and despite hearing all the positive words related to it I truly couldn't have prepared myself for how amazing this game is. I feel like there aren't enough adjectives to describe it and anything I do say will seem like hyperbole but it is incredible. It makes me grin and dance (OMG THE MUSIC IS SO GOOD) and laugh and grin and dance and hum and clap. It is childhood wonder wrapped into a game. It is refined Mario 64 nostalgia bottled up and injected into your old cynical veins. I am so in love with this game I feel like I could start an instagram account where I compose poems everyday related to it. It is so amazing. Why? Well first:

1) Astro Bot is the most freaking adorable little character ever. His little chirps and animations make me want to just bite myself to stop the overwhelming love threatening to put me in a coma if I don't snap out of it. He will look up at you as he passes below your feet with a wink. Sometimes jumping across a bridge in front of you he will turn and wave as if he is walking through a field of lilies and not jumping from a very fragile platform hovering over lava. He should be Sony's mascot FOREVER. He is everything good that exists.

2) The level design is ingenious and feels so immersive that you just feel in this world. Looking around corners to spy out your captive friends or just gazing in wonder at the plane flying over head before you realize OH MAN I CAN SHOOT THAT! Seeing a chameleon and then thinking - Wait? What is that? Squinting at it and him revealing his sneaky self ----- EVERY MOMENT and gameplay element in this game draws you in. Every single moment is filled with spectacle and wonder. Its the most cohesive tightly put together game I've played perhaps ever.

It feels like something Nintendo should have made. It makes you realize that the whole time Nintendo has been trying to capture the magic of Mario 64 with the many amazing refinements of game after game this should have been the next logical step from them but its not. Who knows how far away Nintendo actually is from that next moment which makes me feel like we are so lucky Astro Bot is here.

ASOBI! Team is poised to be Sony's EAD. I hope they are cutting those brilliant bastards a blank check for whatever comes next.

If you have the ability to play this game somehow please do. It is one of those rare games you just want everyone to experience. I seriously think it could bring about world peace...Maybe

Ill write much more after the chocolate chip cookies + shots of gin wear off.

IfqiZ2k.gif
This game was like a proof of concept for me regarding vr. I remember playing the demo and thinking how nobody is gonna understand how amazing this is without actually playing it.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
They haven't even talked about a sequel. :(
This game is one of the many games that made me a vr believer.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
A bonafide killer app. It convinced me to purchase a PSVR and I'm glad I did to get the opportunity to experience it. A delightful and endlessly charming romp from beginning to end.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One thing that doesn't really get mentioned about this game and deserves more props is the capsule machine, I love getting those suckers and inspecting them up-close... still not done with the game, I play one level a day because I don't want it to end.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
It's the reason to own a PSVR. Game is a masterpiece.

Sony has put out a lot of bangers over the last decade, but Astro Bot might be the best of them.