• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching gameplay because I keep seeing hype for this game. It looks alright, a bit generic maybe but I guess it's more fun when you're playing. The issue I have with this being 'revolutionary' camera design for VR is that if people are complaining you can't backtrack then how will this translate to non-linear games? There's points where Astrobot is high above the camera and is going around corners and the camera isn't following him. This clip in particular highlights that issue.

https://youtu.be/W4zIH4u5r94?t=1671

When I think back to the PS1/64 era, Mario 64 was amazing because you could traverse the environment freely. In this game it seems like you are an observer on a railroad watching Astrobot do his thing. It reminds me more of Crash Bandicoot in terms of it's linearity. I haven't played it of course, but I'm gonna place a little bet in my head that this isn't the future of VR.

This is a fine example of not understanding what you're talking about since you haven't experienced it. A flattened, cropped Youtube video taken from one half of a display being controlled by someone else does not adequately convey the actual playing of the game yourself. It doesn't come close. It is indeed "more fun when you're playing", and your mind lacks the reference experiences to even comprehend the extent that is possible.

For example, it's quite possible (likely even) that to the person actually wearing the headset, Astro Bot never went out of view behind the cliff face at all.

Last edited:

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Point taken.

But if anything, I'm not creating an "outrage". Good thread titles its what attracts members to discussion. Some people enter because find the tittle funny, or because are curious and so on. So far the only triggered tone is yours.
I don't see how any of what I wrote qualifies as "triggered", but alright.

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is it's likely too early to have a decent upgrade over the current heatset and make it affordable. They will likely build in support for PSVR1 through supersampling along with better controllers until they pull off something that's a big upgrade and priced right.
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking. I'm sure PSVR support will be there early on but an improved version or a successor will be quite a ways off

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to start setting all Astro Bot threads on ignore.

Each one brings me closer to getting a PSVR Headset that I really don't want to buy.
Heh, had my brother over for the holidays and showed him and his fiance Beat Saber and Astro Bot. Once his fiance tried Astro Bot, he got the green light to other a PSVR lol. It's a real eye opener once you've tried it

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Yeah, i just finished the game and I pretty much agree.
My only complaint is that the worlds aren't themed, but since they are such high quality I won't complain :P

the bosses, while generally basically dodge-attack arena fights, are really cool. Especially the final boss. Really didn't expect the stuff you do in that fight to happen :P

Overall its legit great

Astrobot 2 when?
The bosses are far better than any bosses in Mario or Crash.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to hold out for PSVR2 before I jump into the VR realm. I will definitely buy Astro Bot when I do

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a fine example of not understanding what you're talking about since you haven't experienced it. A flattened, cropped Youtube video taken from one half of a display being controlled by someone else does not adequately convey the actual playing of the game yourself. It doesn't come close. It is indeed "more fun when you're playing", and your mind lacks the reference experiences to even comprehend the extent that is possible.

For example, it's quite possible (likely even) that to the person actually wearing the headset, Astro Bot never went out of view behind the cliff face at all.

I think I made it completely clear that I havent played it, and so phrased my questions/concerns in an inquisitive manner rather than making a definitive statement about the game. You still haven't answered the questions about the linearity of the game and how this camera could be applied to other genres, but the way you come across is condescending so I probably wont even reply to your response.

Quexlaw

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
you think nintendo "used to be" innovative and masterful when they had the two best received games of last year?
Good titles and nostalgia shine bright in a stack of mediocrity.
Also, two titles, last year.. in how many years of people complaining about bad online, remasters, lack of IP support (F-Zero, Mario Strikers), butchering of IPs (like Metroid, Paper Mario) etc.?

Nintendo used to deliver with most of their titles and if something fell flat, there was still ambition and a unique experience to be felt. Nowadays most of their titles that aren't huge like BotW or Odyssey are new versions of games people liked 10 years ago, only with less content (Mario Party) or serious drawbacks (Smash Bros. Online); those titles generally feel like they lack substance or are not up to modern standards.

Of course one may enjoy Mario Party or Kirby Star Allies and whatnot, but to suggest that those titles are "amazing" or the pinnacle of game design is asinine.

Good, expansive and fresh titles are the exception nowadays, not the norm, when it comes to Nintendo.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand people who play it for 1 day or complete a few levels say it is not revolutionary. You've only played the beginning of the game on the worst section of levels. Do you guys give anything time or is it all first impression

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Thread title is fine. If people are too lazy to read a well thought out OP that's on them.

Good titles and nostalgia shine bright in a stack of mediocrity.
Also, two titles, last year.. in how many years of people complaining about bad online, remasters, lack of IP support (F-Zero, Mario Strikers), butchering of IPs (like Metroid, Paper Mario) etc.?

Nintendo used to deliver with most of their titles and if something fell flat, there was still ambition and a unique experience to be felt. Nowadays most of their titles that aren't huge like BotW or Odyssey are new versions of games people liked 10 years ago, only with less content (Mario Party) or serious drawbacks (Smash Bros. Online); those titles generally feel like they lack substance or are not up to modern standards.

Of course one may enjoy Mario Party or Kirby Star Allies and whatnot, but to suggest that those titles are "amazing" or the pinnacle of game design is asinine.

Good, expansive and fresh titles are the exception nowadays, not the norm, when it comes to Nintendo.

Please....this is not the thread for this.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I'm going to say because I don't want to spoil it...I haven't had this much fun with water since Mario Sunshine...and the first Boss fight was way better than anything in Odyssey and I loved almost all of those.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Stop making VR threads! I swear I only need to buy a Switch. I'm definintely not on the verge of buying a PSVR as well.

But seriously after playing Wipeout on VR on a friend's house it just left me speechless. It's definitely the future.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop making VR threads! I swear I only need to buy a Switch. I'm definintely not on the verge of buying a PSVR as well.

But seriously after playing Wipeout on VR on a friend's house it just left me speechless. It's definitely the future.

I mean yeah it's more of a if you own it or are on the fence get this! But investing in a headset and a PRO ( runs way better) possibly a year before PS5 hits isn't for everyone.

The funny part about the whole debate on whether or not it was an appropriate thread title is this might actually be the first platformer that Sony has ever put out where that claim actually feels accurate. It's mechanically polished in ways that their other platformers haven't been, it doesn't straddle the line between genres like, say, Ratchet and Clank does, and everything the game throws at you is in service to what the genre is all about. I'd honestly prefer if Sony spent the money that they do on one of their AAA releases for five or six more games like this one, VR or otherwise.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I'm surprised this turned into a debate about Nintendo.

Phantom Thief, work on your titles

I figured the titles were on purpose given they get extra attention. Phantom Thief might just have the record here for highest number of controversial topics by a single user at this point.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The funny part about the whole debate on whether or not it was an appropriate thread title is this might actually be the first platformer that Sony has ever put out where that claim actually feels accurate. It's mechanically polished in ways that their other platformers haven't been, it doesn't straddle the line between genres like, say, Ratchet and Clank does, and everything the game throws at you is in service to what the genre is all about. I'd honestly prefer if Sony spent the money that they do on one of their AAA releases for five or six more games like this one, VR or otherwise.
Can't really agree with that. Jak and Daxter on ps2 is right up there with the best of Mario; and Jak 2 but that is more controversial. I guess it's not really as cutesy but I don't consider most Mario games as cute as Astro bot

Oct 26, 2017
I figured the titles were on purpose given they get extra attention. Phantom Thief might just have the record here for highest number of controversial topics by a single user at this point.
With some of the topics I've seen on Era, I'd honestly be shocked, seeing as some get a genuine kick of controversy and getting people riled up and whereas this thread was actually rather well thought out. Honestly makes me wanna give the game a shot compared to other threads which didn't have as much to say

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It's a great platformer with catchy music and a lot of personality.

VR really enchances what would otherwise be a fun, but unremarkable game in the genre - though there's some super design in there.

That might sound like dull praise, but it really isn't.

It's a wonderful experience and is my second favourite game of the year. It doesn't touch Mario at his best, but it has left me dreaming of what Nintendo could do with the tech.

Can't really agree with that. Jak and Daxter on ps2 is right up there with the best of Mario. I guess it's not really as cutesy but I don't consider most Mario games as cute as Astro not
I've never cared for any of the Jak and Daxter games, maybe even especially the first one. The controls can get really finicky with how often they can halt momentum and it has way too damn many minigames that don't have a damn thing to do with platforming, which makes the sudden difficulty spike of the last level all the less surprising because the game just didn't feel that interested in building up properly to it. Huge technical breakthrough for its time for sure, but the first Sly Cooper game does everything better from a pure mechanics standpoint.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you actually read reviews and general impressions of the game you'd see that mentionning Nintendo while talking about Astro Bot isn't as far-fetched as it sounds.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

TBF this is another well done thread from PT which I have no problem with especially in comparison to the 'Odyssey is rubbish after Astro Bot' coupled with only 2/3 sentences in the OP that we had only a short while ago. Those are way more of an issue IMO.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It is an incredible game, but it has a few flaws:

1.) It is too short of a game
2.) There is no consequence when you die. You simply restart from the last checkpoint over and over again until you pass the area. This makes the game easier and makes it feel shorter. There should be consequences when you die in the game.

Outside of that, the game is just incredible and such a great treat to play. I would love for it to have had about 3-4 more worlds which would of made it a great length and a bit more challenging with consequences.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Eh... I disagree, I think Ape Escape does that very well. It doesn't straddle genre lines and is full of charm and pure puzzle platforming.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never cared for any of the Jak and Daxter games, maybe even especially the first one. The controls can get really finicky with how often they can halt momentum and it has way too damn many minigames that don't have a damn thing to do with platforming, which makes the sudden difficulty spike of the last level all the less surprising because the game just didn't feel that interested in building up properly to it. Huge technical breakthrough for its time for sure, but the first Sly Cooper game does everything better from a pure mechanics standpoint.
Can't agree with this either. I speed run the games and there is definitely continuous momentum, the timing is just different from Mario. Level design wise, Sly isn't even close

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is it's likely too early to have a decent upgrade over the current heatset and make it affordable. They will likely build in support for PSVR1 through PS5 supersampling along with better controllers until they pull off something that's a big upgrade and priced right.

At least PSVR games could look a lot better with PS5, if the hardware will still be compatible . I know that tracking and resolution are big issues, but the increased horsepower should also be able to do a lot.

Speaking of resolution, it's amazing just how good/clean Astrobot looks. So much so that it fools people into thinking the headset has a higher resolution than the Vive Pro.

I was trying to change the ear bud size and accidentally ripped the whole bud off, wires and all.

Good thing is i already called Sony and they are replacing it free of charge

That's great!
Will they need to replace your entire headset, or can you plug the standard buds out of the headset somehow and connect your own?

I was trying to change the ear bud size and accidentally ripped the whole bud off, wires and all.

Good thing is i already called Sony and they are replacing it free of charge
I'm about to start setting all Astro Bot threads on ignore.

Each one brings me closer to getting a PSVR Headset that I really don't want to buy.

It is worth it.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least PSVR games could look a lot better with PS5, if the hardware will still be compatible . I know that tracking and resolution are big issues, but the increased horsepower should also be able to do a lot.

Speaking of resolution, it's amazing just how good/clean Astrobot looks. So much so that it fools people into thinking the headset has a higher resolution than the Vive Pro.

That's great!
Will they need to replace your entire headset, or can you plug the standard buds out of the headset somehow and connect your own?
You can use your own. I just like the ones that come with it as they are built with cord management in mind.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I really want to try this game. Not that I hold Nintendo ideas up higher than anybody else though. I want to try Astro on its own merits.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a psvr and I tried the playroom demo with the astro bot guy and it's pretty legit. I hit my head on the wall trying to look under a bridge. Woops

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
OP: Great post. You've made an excellent point about the use of the camera in Astro Bot. You're right: It's so intuitive you just, kind of forget that it's even there, and yet it adds so much to the gameplay.

did you seriously just make another Astrobot/Mario thread lmao

mate not everything that comes into your head needs a thread, there's been a million of these already

I really hope Era implement ignore threads by keywords on title. That way I could type Astrobot and ignore all this nonsense.

some of the Astro Bot promoting around here sounds more like astroturfing...every other day its OMG Astro Bot has changed gaming and gotten me 9 weeks pregnant...

Guys, if you don't like a thread, just don't click on it. Don't thread whine, and don't come in here to accuse the poster of astroturfing. This is just common sense.