• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another Astro Bot thread? Can we stop with the astroturfing please?

Astro Bot is 2018s GOTY by a long shot and everyone on the planet should buy it, or if you can't afford a PSVR you need to find some way to play it. It's the game shows you how the future of gaming really is with VR if done properly, and it does with with enough charm and polish to keep you with a grin on your face for the rest of the week.

GO PLAY ASTRO BOT

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching gameplay because I keep seeing hype for this game. It looks alright, a bit generic maybe but I guess it's more fun when you're playing. The issue I have with this being 'revolutionary' camera design for VR is that if people are complaining you can't backtrack then how will this translate to non-linear games? There's points where Astrobot is high above the camera and is going around corners and the camera isn't following him. This clip in particular highlights that issue.

https://youtu.be/W4zIH4u5r94?t=1671

When I think back to the PS1/64 era, Mario 64 was amazing because you could traverse the environment freely. In this game it seems like you are an observer on a railroad watching Astrobot do his thing. It reminds me more of Crash Bandicoot in terms of it's linearity. I haven't played it of course, but I'm gonna place a little bet in my head that this isn't the future of VR.

With VR you can move your head to see these things which I don't think a lot of people take into consideration. If you can't see something... then move your head till you can. A lot of times it's as easy to just lean to one direction to see past something.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the thing is i think your title is a little "bait"y, of course i know it wasn't your intention, but the result is the same.
But I actually explain exactly what I mean by that in depth in the OP, by fully juxtaposing it against Super Mario 64's similar achievements so the title makes sense. At some point I have to expect the person participating in the thread will actually, well, read the thread lol.

Oct 26, 2017
the thing is i think your title is a little "bait"y, of course i know it wasn't your intention, but the result is the same.
I'd say it's only bait if you're deliberately looking for console wars, seeing as it was intended to be praise. It'd be like getting offended over a game being praised for being like Dark Souls or Uncharted. It's not like it's being compared to Bubsy

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate this comparison so much. Saying SM64 got praise mostly for its camera work, is ignoring what mario does best and it's movement itself.
I did not say that, in fact I brought the praise for movement in a 3D space up before even the camera. The analog here however is how both games handle their cameras, and so the camera is what I have focused on.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
This game is definitely one to make you grin with delight, and go Ohhh! Ahhhh! like a child.

That's obviously worth something.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I actually explain exactly what I mean by that in depth in the OP, by fully juxtaposing it against Super Mario 64's similar achievements so the title makes sense. At some point I have to expect the person participating in the thread will actually, well, read the thread lol.
lol, haven't you learned time and time again that people don't actually read the OP? so far we've had people itt from both sides of the so called war being offended by (i'm assuming) just reading the title and not the OP. both nintendo fans who take offense to it being compared to nintendo's works and sony fan's who think it's an insulting comparison.

I'd say it's only bait if you're deliberately looking for console wars, seeing as it was intended to be praise. It'd be like getting offended over a game being praised for being like Dark Souls or Uncharted. It's not like it's being compared to Bubsy
for any other game you'd be right, but for astro bot (beginning with that "mario 64 moment" tweet) so many threads have been made comparing this game to nintendo's works (and sometimes saying how it shits on their games) that before this thread even began the tone of the discussion was set (from both sides).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Like many games with missable collectibles, it's best if you can resist and play through for fun the first time, pick up anythign that presents itself but don't spend too much time replaying, just and go back for anything missed on further playthroughs - it's hardly a long game after all. This is one game where ruining the experience by fussing and stressing over collects should really be avoided at all costs, just be there in the moment, experience the joy of it, then go back to grind out whatever more you want from it later.
I get that... it's just not how my brain is wired to play games like this. :)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

It *is* very Nintendo-y though. Production values/styling, music, little animation touches, that balance of cute and playful - if you'd told me a bunch of Nintendo internal devs had moved across to Sony i'd believe you

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, haven't you learned time and time again that people don't actually read the OP? so far we've had people itt from both sides of the so called war being offended by (i'm assuming) just reading the title and not the OP. both nintendo fans who take offense to it being compared to nintendo's works and sony fan's who think it's an insulting comparison.
Yeah, but in the end, I think I subscribe to not being limited in what I can say by people who are just waiting to misconstrue it to fit their narratives no matter what I do. I'd rather speak to the ones willing to have any actual honest discussion, and thankfully, there's been a fair bit of that in this thread.

But isnt the tittle doing that though(not talking about the content of the thread)? Saying this game is as genious as a Nintendo eske game doesnt bring the point that "Nintendo games are perfect"?
No, there is no suggestion or implication of perfection. The comparison is with the Nintendo school of game design which I think Astro Bot channels. Anything beyond that is mere projection on the part of the reader.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I liked the camera in Lucky's Tale better - it followed the character more closely, always remained higher than the character, and let you look around corners and from different angles to get a better view on the platforming jumps. In Astrobot there are times you can't even see the character's feet while jumping from platform to platform because the character is far above the camera.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
You're making the game's comparison with Mario 64 , and then you went ahead with bait title of Nintendo on it lol.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
No, there is no suggestion or implication of perfection. The comparison is with the Nintendo school of game design which I think Astro Bot channels. Anything beyond that is mere projection on the part of the reader.

Isn't that why its a bait tittle? Does anyone here uses Sony or Microsoft "eske games" when talking about how great and brilliant a game is?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but in the end, I think I subscribe to not being limited in what I can say by people who are just waiting to misconstrue it to fit their narratives no matter what I do. I'd rather speak to the ones willing to have any actual honest discussion, and thankfully, there's been a fair bit of that in this thread.
fair enough, and i agree, unlike several other threads, this one was actually great at explaining why the comparison is a legitimate one.

It *is* very Nintendo-y though. Production values/styling, music, little animation touches, that balance of cute and playful - if you'd told me a bunch of Nintendo internal devs had moved across to Sony i'd believe you
yeah, from the trailer alone one could get the nintendo vibe, like how a well made 3D animated film makes someone think of pixar's great works.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that why its a bait tittle? Does anyone here uses Sony or Microsoft "eske games" when talking about how great and brilliant a game is?
No, because Microsoft and Sony don't have a unified design language across their games. People however do talk about Naughty Dog-esque design (to the extent that games like God of War are compared to them).
Again, you're reading far too much into what is simply meant to be a jumping off point of comparison for an explanation of how Astro Bot is designed.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
That will pass over time. I would get very ill on most VR titles initially. Over time I am much better. I played Astro Bot for hours yesterday and didn't break a sweat. However I don't think I'll be able to do something like Wipeout or Ace Combat.
Yeah my friend wanted me to get Wipeout when I was on sale, but it seems like that would be testing my motion sickness on hard mode. :P

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Who cares if someone compares it to Mario 64 or any other game. Are they some magical unicorns that games cannot be compared to?

Like how insecure do you have to be to foam with anger at the possibility that someone made a platformer as good or better than some Nintendo games. It's alright. No one will think less of Nintendo.. Take a breath.

To Sony fans.. No one is diminishing this game by comparing it to Nintendo. Like it or not Mario is the gold standard for platformers. To even be remotely associated with Nintendo in this genre is super high praise and most devs wish they had. No one is insulting Sony with these comparisons. Mario games are magical.

Now let's talk about the game! On a side note.. This game has better boss fights than God of War this year and if you had told me that a year ago I would have laughed at you.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
No, because Microsoft and Sony don't have a unified design language across their games. People however do talk about Naughty Dog-esque design (to the extent that games like God of War are compared to them).
Again, you're reading far too much into what is simply meant to be a jumping off point of comparison for an explanation of how Astro Bot is designed.

Not at all, the first part of the thread is the tittle. The game deserves all the praise it gets. We're talking about the tittle, which I agree is kinda a bait as use the term Nintendo as a sign of how genious their games are.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I got absolutely no idea why people think the thread title is bait, or can they read the title as anything but praise. Some of you are weird people.

Phantom Thief , have you finished 2-4? The level called "Astro Jones"? I know I say this constantly, but that level is probably the most strong argument about what VR can do to make old experiences feel fresh and new.

Oct 26, 2017
But isnt the tittle doing that though(not talking about the content of the thread)? Saying this game is as genious as a Nintendo eske game doesnt bring the point that "Nintendo games are perfect"?
No, it just brings about the point that Nintendo games often have unique ideas or solutions that work out rather elegantly as a lot of them share many similarities. Would someone be implying Dark Souls or Uncharted are perfect if someone positively compared the depth and feel of a games combat to the former or the visuals, set pieces, and flow of combat to the second? They're just being compared favorably to critically acclaimed titles. It's only a negative if you look for it

for any other game you'd be right, but for astro bot (beginning with that "mario 64 moment" tweet) so many threads have been made comparing this game to nintendo's works (and sometimes saying how it shits on their games) that before this thread even began the tone of the discussion was set (from both sides).
Well that's on people deliberately looking for a console war that isn't there. You can favorably compare things without bringing one down or being insulted by it. Kind of reminds me of how heated threads got with all of the praise BotW received last year

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all, the first part of the thread is the tittle(you make too many threads so I guess you already know). The game deserves all the praise it gets. We're talking about the tittle, which I agree is kinda a bait as use the term Nintendo as a sign of how genious their games are.
Again, the discussion is very specifically about how this game is designed and breaks new ground vis-a-vis Nintendo games, specifically Mario 64, and there is no suggestion of anything more than that here. This is not a game that revels in cinematic storytelling, or the comparison would be to Naughty Dog or Kojima. It's a game that revels in its mechanical ingenuity, and the gold standard for comparison there is Nintendo, and the specific ways this game is designed is similarly Nintendo-esque. Nothing more, nothing less.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares if someone compares it to Mario 64 or any other game. Are they some magical unicorns that games cannot be compared to?

Like how insecure do you have to be to foam with anger at the possibility that someone made a platformer as good or better than some Nintendo games. It's alright. No one will think less of Nintendo.. Take a breath.

To Sony fans.. No one is diminishing this game by comparing it to Nintendo. Like it or not Mario is the gold standard for platformers. To even be remotely associated with Nintendo in this genre is super high praise and most devs wish they had. No one is insulting Sony with these comparisons. Mario games are magical.

Now let's talk about the game! On a side note.. This game has better boss fights than God of War this year and if you had told me that a year ago I would have laughed at you.
They did a really great job with the boss fights which is pretty tuff to do for a platformer it seems. Recently I found Tropical Freeze bosses to be extremely unfun and Odyssey's too simple and easy. Astro bot kept them fun but also unique and challenging. Stranger still the best boss fight of 2018 though

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes me very happy to see people get VR and what it can do, I'm probably gonna get a PSVR just for the handful of exclusives I want to play.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
If half the people in this thread took out the time to actually read the OP rather than getting mad about the thread's title, a lot of the perplexing anger in here could have been avoided (and a lot of time would have been saved).

Agree with you (as much as I can without actually having played it myself) on what you say about Astro Bot Phantom Thief. Sadly haven't had the chance to play it myself, but from what I've seen, read, and heard of it, it does seem very Nintendo-esque in terms of design philosophies, and even tinier things like art style and tone.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
If half the people in this thread took out the time to actually read the OP rather than getting mad about the thread's title, a lot of the perplexing anger in here could have been avoided (and a lot of time would have been saved).

Before getting triggered, the thread tittle is also a part of discussion since its act as a welcome signboard for the members.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Before getting triggered, the thread tittle is also a part of discussion since its act as a welcome signboard.
As a signboard to read the rest of the thread. The title isn't the be-all-and-end-all. If people want to get mad at the title and not bother to read what the title is directing them to, that's on them, I guess. But that's not what a discussion is supposed to be.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
As a signboard to read the rest of the thread. The title isn't the be-all-and-end-all. If people want to get mad at the title and not bother to read what the title is directing them to, that's on them, I guess. But that's not what a discussion is supposed to be.

If thats "not what a discussion is supposed to be", then you can create threads without titles. There are a lot of cases in Era where the thread title is changed for infinite reasons, the thread title is as much important and worth talking. After all comparing a game with any other thing has a different impact on the viewer.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Astro bot got alot more recognition in the GOTY thread than I ever expected considering how small the psvr base it.

The challenge modes is where it clicked for me. I can't get enough.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
If thats "not what a discussion is supposed to be", then you can create threads without titles. There are a lot of cases in Era where the thread title is changed for infinite reasons, the thread title is as much important and worth talking. After all comparing a game with any other thing has a different impact on the viewer.
The person creating the thread did their job by backing up what the title says in the OP. If people don't want to read the OP and argue about the title, which isn't even half of the argument, they're wasting everybody's time.

Stop trying to create outrage where it makes zero sense to do so. The OP explains the title perfectly.

Quexlaw

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Nintendo has been far from brilliant in a multitude (not all) of their titles, playing it safe or underdelivering. Can we stop putting Nintendo on a pedestal because it used to be really innovative and masterful in a time long gone?

In any case, I'm intrigued by Astro Bot, but I won't bother buying a PSVR.

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking in the vein of Xbox One and the launch Kinect upgrade at the very least.
Like perhaps a separate more expensive SKU that includes an improved PSVR? I could perhaps see that, albeit I'd imagine it'd take some time to make large improvements for PSVR, no? I'd sooner expect a PS5 Pro at launch alongside a regular PS5 than that

Nintendo has been far from brilliant in a multitude (not all) of their titles, playing it safe or underdelivering. Can we stop putting Nintendo on a pedestal because it used to be really innovative and masterful in a time long gone?

In any case, I'm intrigued by Astro Bot, but I won't bother buying a PSVR.
Well, for most folk, they've been at the top of their game for quite some time and especially with the Switch so I'm not sure what you're on about

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
The person creating the thread did their job by backing up what the title says in the OP. If people don't want to read the OP and argue about the title, which isn't even half of the argument, they're wasting everybody's time.

Stop trying to create outrage where it makes zero sense to do so. The OP explains the title perfectly.

Point taken.

But if anything, I'm not creating an "outrage". Good thread titles its what attracts members to discussion. Some people enter because find the tittle funny, or because are curious and so on. So far the only triggered tone is yours.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Like perhaps a separate more expensive SKU that includes an improved PSVR? I could perhaps see that, albeit I'd imagine it'd take some time to make large improvements for PSVR, no?

The problem is it's likely too early to have a decent upgrade over the current heatset and make it affordable. They will likely build in support for PSVR1 through PS5 supersampling along with better controllers until they pull off something that's a big upgrade and priced right.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you think nintendo "used to be" innovative and masterful when they had the two best received games of last year?