• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, three routes in a row in Fire Emblem has been getting exhausting. Think I'll finish my current run, then take a break to get this. Wasn't sure if I'd be interested in this, but the reviews are certainly encouraging me to use one of my vouchers.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I have a strange feeling about this game doing better than expected sales-wise. It's partly wishful thinking, but I expect the good WoM, and the vouchers, to do the heavy lifting. Is there a remote possibility that the game would sell 2 millions when it's all said and done?
I said from the very beginning that this game would sell well if it got great revews.

It has great reviews. The logic behind poor projections doesn't seem anymore nuanced than "previous Platinum games sold bad, so this will sell bad" to me.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Perhaps all the video editing bandwidth went to Control. I've seen some outlets that made a Control video review in addition to a written one, but didn't have an AC video review in addition to the written one.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a strange feeling about this game doing better than expected sales-wise. It's partly wishful thinking, but I expect the good WoM, and the vouchers, to do the heavy lifting. Is there a remote possibility that the game would sell 2 millions when it's all said and done?

Nier: Automata sold over 4 million. Anything's possible.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
One more review:
https://www.consolecreatures.com/latest/review-astral-chain/

"Astral Chain is an exciting and expansive title from PlatinumGames. With exciting Synergetic combat, a cyberpunk city worth exploring and some interesting cases to solve, this is the best Nintendo exclusive in years. Don't miss out on one of the finest action games this year!"

Best Nintendo exclusive is a very bold claim when we had BotW, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xeno 2, Ultimate and FE:3H.

I'll take it.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo just released three 88 (89 I think fire emblem actually jumped a point) games in 2 months lol.

Deacon X Machina and Links Awakening might be on the lower end, but it's the onslaught of releases that's fascinating.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
worse art style without any meaningful changes
Worse art style? Have you actually seen the game?

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F02%2Fzelda_links_awakening_switch-1200x675.jpg

It's one of the prettiest games of the last few years

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Worse art style? Have you actually seen the game?

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Folliebarder%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F02%2Fzelda_links_awakening_switch-1200x675.jpg

It's one of the prettiest games of the last few years

I hate it so much, for me, it looks incredibly cheap, like it's build in an amateur developer starting kit.
You know, like how you immediately know when a game got made with the RPG Maker, this looks like someone used a building kit with pre build graphic style and just added some Zelda models.
But I know I'm almost alone with that. Most people love it.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Is that why they said they liked it a lot, said it was excellent and said they didn't have this much fun in a long time? Every game has issues and room for improvement...
Oh yeah without a doubt. In its best moments Astral Chain is flipping amazing - I don't feel it maintains that standard all the time and can sometimes come to a halt but for a first attempt with this IP? I'm in for any possible follow ups no questions asked

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this game doing, at the very least, something similar to ARMS (at about 2 million).

Either way, it definitely doesn't feel like another W101 type of game, something that completely tanks and is forgotten about outside of a small following.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Switch audience is more than large enough to support 4M sellers. At a certain point, userbase differences are not terribly important anymore.
I know Switch can support multi million sellers(irc MK8 switch is closing in on like 15m) , but my understanding is that Action Games like the ones Platinum make have a kinda niche audience, so you need as much reach as possible to get numbers as high as Nier.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Is it safe to say this game is sorta similar to Devil May Cry/Bayonetta? If so I should probably pass since I'm not the biggest fan of either franchise.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate it so much, for me, it looks incredibly cheap, like it's build in an amateur developer starting kit.
You know, like how you immediately know when a game got made with the RPG Maker, this looks like someone used a building kit with pre build graphic style and just added some Zelda models.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo just released three 88 (89 I think fire emblem actually jumped a point) games in 2 months lol.

Deacon X Machina and Links Awakening might be on the lower end, but it's the onslaught of releases that's fascinating.

It's insane actually. Remember when people were worried about a game drought after Metroid Prime 3 was rebooted, Animal Crossing was delayed, and all of the heavy hitters (Mario, Zelda, Smash, etc) had already dropped. Now most of us can't even keep up with the releases.

Range

Banned
Aug 22, 2019
It's insane actually. Remember when people were worried about a game drought after Metroid Prime 3 was rebooted, Animal Crossing was delayed, and all of the heavy hitters (Mario, Zelda, Smash, etc) had already dropped. Now most of us can't even keep up with the releases.
first half was drought though
and 2018 was not any better except for holiday season

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
But why would the YT channels get to upload their reviews and the other sites not ?

Are the YT people just using public footage ?
No because again GameXplain put up their review

It's possible that the video embargo from the preview period is still in effect; in other words, it could be that outlets are still limited to showing the same first five hours (or whatever it was) of the game that they showed for previews.

I don't know if this is the case, I haven't even watched the current video reviews because I want to go in blind, I'm just speculating. When review embargoes lift days before the launch of a game, it's typical to see separate, specific rules for what you can and cannot show in a video review, if anything at all.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Nice to see this getting really high scores.

I'm not interested in this, but I do think it deserves a good commercial performance based on these scores.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I understand disliking it, but I've never seen another game that looks like it. So it seems weird to say it looks like a default kit.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
You aren't alone, I don't like the art style either. Nor do I want to pay $60 for a 16 year old Gameboy game where the main difference is fancier graphics that I don't especially enjoy. Gameboy games aren't overly complex and it is only like a 13-15 hour game vs 30+ hours of N64 and newer Zelda games.

I'll gladly take Astral Chain instead and skip the September Switch releases unless I decide to double dip on DQ 11.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm coming into Astral Chain pretty much blind, so I'm looking forward to seeing why this is reviewing so well. Excited!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for Daemon X Machina.

You had people talk about this game not getting buzz or how it's gonna bomb(I don't believe that) but compared to Astral Chain DxM almost feels invisible.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I feel sorry for Daemon X Machina.

You had people talk about this game not getting buzz or how it's gonna bomb(I don't believe that) but compared to Astral Chain DxM almost feels invisible.
I expect Nintendo will start a more aggressive social media-based marketing push for DXM after Friday. We'll, of course, have residual Astral Chain posts to maintain retention and push more sales, but I think we'll start seeing a few more clips and insights into DXM in the weeks and days leading up to launch.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daemon X Machina is developed on a much tighter budget and for a nicher userbase than Astral Chain. It's natural for the game to have less marketing.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
No love for mechs huh?
Oh I forgot Demons X Machina is September too. Sheesh, so crowded - I am definitely keeping an eye out on it - the early alpha demo didn't really help my opinion of it but allot can easily change in the year or so. Which means it might even be less likely for me to double dip on DQ11 lol. Definitely using my last voucher on Astral Chain and will probably pick up one September release physical.