• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How well do you think it'll do?

• 96-100

Votes: 30 1.8%
  • 91-95 (Same as Bayonetta 2)

Votes: 166 10.2%
  • 86-90 (Same as Bayonetta and NieR: Automata)

Votes: 711 43.7%
  • 81-85 (Same as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance)

Votes: 564 34.7%
  • 76-80

Votes: 126 7.7%
  • 75 or below

Votes: 29 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
I'd be happy if it scores higher than The Wonderful 101, which sadly isn't hard to. So at least I would be happy. Hope it scores well.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Well it looks like this game in going to get the exclusive treatment when it comes to the review thread...it's already started here.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
If true, this will be really bad for the game. But I remember watching a high-difficulty gameplay against some humanoid enemies, and the video looked far more interesting than anything in Automata. Maybe it's another case like TW101, a different approach to combat that some players who want a more traditional approach won't like.
I'm just reporting what I heard. Has me worried is all.

First time he discussed it, he said he thought it was sub Nier. Second episode he had spent a lot more time with the game, and said they introduced a lot more mechanics.

That's when he started in on how the game was just too easy. And again, he's not like some action game God, I don't think.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to judge too harshly on the standard difficulty, Platinum's titles only truly come into their own on their highest settings, which for here look solid (and you don't have to beat the game to start playing on the higher difficulty, you just beat the mission and it unlocks the difficulty for that mission). The gamespot gameplay of the highest difficulty looked really great, enemies were aggressive enough and damaging enough to be threatening, you really have to manage both the legion and your character since both take damage and there were a lot of options used to get around just two enemies.

The standard dodge into big attack or special ability platinum's games have used here is weaker too it looks (not nearly as good as Nier A for example), closer to something like metal gear rising, which if you also take into account the lack of a jump button, places an emphasis on 2D spacing for your main guy, with the legion being your "third dimension".

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Rational me will say 85-86.

But there's no time for rational thought anymore. What I understand from the previews it will not have the moving story of Nier Automata, but it will have better gameplay, and looking at Bayonetta 2, I think that is valued more in this type of game. (Though reviewers are always more easily inclined to give higher scores to sequels, and some people may now expect a moving story like in Nier)
So I'm thinking maybe a 90. Since that's the end of a cohort in the poll that seems focused more on high 80s, I chose 91-95, because fuck logic.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

First time he discussed it, he said he thought it was sub Nier. Second episode he spend a lot more time with it, and said they introduced a lot more mechanics.

That's when he started in on how the game was just too easy. And again, he's not like some action game God, I don't think.

NieR isn't a hard game either. I would expect a similar difficulty here. Both games even share the same Platinum director. And both games aren't purely character-action experiences.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
All the complaining about frame rate brings me back to the CTR threads lol. Wait until you play it before judging if it's completely unplayable

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man screw all of y'all, I'm just ready to work together with my robotic stands and solve investigations to dope ass futuristic music.

6 days will feel so long D:

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
My guess is 86 or 87. That would be in line with Platinum's better work, but not quite Bayonetta 2 tier, which seems in line with current impressions.

I don't really understand all the back-and-forth about frames per second in a review prediction thread. I definitely get that FPS are a major factor in how some players assess the quality of games (especially action games), but framerate almost never seems to factor into critics' reviews in a major way unless the framerate is wildly unstable and indicative of major performance issues.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's been pretty well established here that this isn't a typical Platinum action game. I am sure they didn't make the choice to go 30fps without some serious consideration for everything else in the game.

The notion that somebody would skip this game because it's not 60fps kind of worries me
I'll frankly never get refusing to play a game because it 30 fps.

Especially when people say it's "literally unplayable."

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful 101 sitting at 78 tells me that score means nothing when it comes to a hardcore action game.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wonderful 101 sitting at 78 tells me that score means nothing when it comes to a hardcore action game.
absolutely

these threads are still pretty entertaining to read though

9815894-3x2-940x627.jpg

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know Austin's thoughts on The Wonderful 101?

Just curious. It's not like his opinion isn't valid either way.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, the last two episodes of Waypoint? Maybe not including the most recent?

First he had played couple of hours in maybe? Second episode was him much further but only discussing up to a point he was allowed.

I'll summarize what I remember.

- Wasn't really into the world or the characters. Felt very flat. Also didn't like the silent protagonist. Felt this actually hurts a game from a developer that usually has very lively characters.

- Way too easy playing on hardest difficulty available at the start. This was from second episode he talked about it. Mashing and getting S+ scores.

- Doesn't love the combat. Thinks it's actually worse than Nier Automata.

Again, this is just off memory. I know he might not be the combo obsessed Platinum fan many around here are, but I respect his opinion more than most in his industry.
Iirc he was more positive on the combat in the second episode, but did eventually get a Legion that allowed him to basically just button mash. I don't remember if he actually played on the hardest available difficulty, or if he just thought the difficulty he played on was too easy. But aside from that that sounds about right from what i remember from his impressions.

I'm still excited for the game, but I am expecting like, lower 80s from reviewers since it sounds like the world and story might not be as interesting as I hope. That is unless the game gets more interesting a few hours in.

Last edited:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know Austin's thoughts on The Wonderful 101?

Just curious. It's not his opinion isn't valid either way.
Yeah because personally I love PG and I didn't really grasp W101 like that. This game looks much easier to wrap my head around so, it could be one of those type of things? I smell a 7/10 from them because of those early impressions.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Going off of the guy who was posting Austin Walker's impressions, I recall him saying he was not fond of the investigation bits. (Though I could be mixing this up with having heard someone else's impressions of the game?)
The only opinion I've heard about the investigation was from Eurogamer Spain, and it was really positive. They were more worried about the imprecise platforming and the lack of visual variety in the astral plane.

First time he discussed it, he said he thought it was sub Nier. Second episode he had spent a lot more time with the game, and said they introduced a lot more mechanics.

I know, I was only contrasting the opinion with the best video we have of combat gameplay. We will see really soon.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
My only problem with this game is the framerate, everything looks perfect, Im hoping it isnt as annoying as it was in other 30FPS games, but Platinum is my favourite dev, so this is a day 1 purchase.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Iirc he was more positive on the combat in the second episode, but did eventually get a Legion that allowed him to basically just button mash. I don't remember if he actually played on the hardest available difficulty, or if he just thought the difficulty he played on was too easy. But aside from that that sounds about right from what i remember from his impressions.

I'm still excited for the game, but I am expecting like, lower 80s from reviewers since it sounds like the world and story might not be as interesting as I hope. That is unless the game gets more interesting a few hours in I guess.
He said he played on the highest difficulty that was available from the start. I think he mentioned 2 extra levels of difficulty being unlockable.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Yeah because personally I love PG and I didn't really grasp W101 like that. This game looks much easier to wrap my head around so, it could be one of those type of things? I smell a 7/10 from them because of those early impressions.
Dont think Waypoint's reviews count towards the MC score because they dont give out numerical grades. At least they didn't give one to FE3H.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They must be confident about this one. Even earlier than my GOTY also known as Three Houses, which was only a day before release.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The people not happy about 30fps should just ignore this game and move on to something else. We live in an era where there's no shortage of games to play.

It's also amusing seeing people complain about it while previously playing / being excited for other future 30fps games 😂

I much prefer 60 myself especially for this genre but the game is what it is so I'll take it.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Saying it has worse combat than Automata is...man. Automata was serviceable at best and a mind numbing slog at worst. I hope this isn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.