• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is a common misconception that I've noticed across both here & social media (especially when it comes to requests for them in Smash) that has bothered me to no end. And since I'd rather not constantly correct people in threads, I thought I should explain it here since I used to make the same mistake.

OFFICER HOWARD

Officer Howard is the player character. They're the one you name, the one you play as, the older twin, & so on. And, for better or worse, they're also the silent protagonist of the game. They can also be referred to as Legonis, but they mostly go by "you" or "Howard". Likewise, Officer is one of the earliest title you obtain in Astral Chain, hence the "Officer" in Officer Howard.

AKIRA HOWARD

89hMJX9.jpg

Akira, as mentioned before, is the younger twin you don't choose in Astral Chain. They're the ones with an actual personality & talk quite a bit, often speaking for Officer Howard for whatever reason. To use an example, if I chose Female Officer Howard & name her Akane, the male version becomes Akira. Akira also differs from Officer Howard due to the character arc that they undergo compared to the chosen twin (which gets into spoilers, which I won't discuss in the OP, but please spoiler tag any spoilers if you wish to discuss them here).

Of course, if you want Akira Howard & their personality specifically in Smash, that's fine. But if you want the player character, that's Officer Howard, not Akira Howard. Still, I hope I was able to clear up any confusion regarding the Howard twins.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why does it matter in the context of Smash? I assume both would be playable, which would mean both are the same.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
If they did make it into Smash, I like the idea if just using the Legionus title, this would make it easy to have alt skins being the support cast, would be awesome.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't you say weeks ago that you were going to stop stressing about dumb details like this

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like extreme nitpicking. In the context of Smash, they would both be Akira like how Red and Leaf are both Pokémon Trainer.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Counterpoint: both twins are actually named Akira Howard, to the confusion of everyone who knows them, and what changes is which one people call 'Officer' or 'Howard' depending on who you control.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
They'd probably be named Officer Howard in Smash, and not Akira. Despite Akira always being the name for the younger twin, we always play as the older twin. The older twin in smash- therefore "Officer Howard!" When selected in the future Smash DLC, character pack 3. Plz.

I named my Howard Kaori and she's dope af.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I remember laughing out loud when I realized that the only way to give my preferred twin a personality was to play the other one. They legit cast a voice actor for this character and the only way you get to see or hear them is to not select them.

It's close to a new low for inexplicably silent protagonists.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
User Warned: drive by post, thread whining
I knew exactly who made this thread before I even looked at the author. That's not a good thing. Stop nitpicking over dumb details like this

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
So when you select the male twin, female twin is also called Akira ?
It seems weird. Is Akira a common name for girls in Japan ?

EDIT : someone has tried to name the player character "Akira" to see if the NPC is also called Akira in that case ?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
In the context of Smash it honestly doesn't matter. They'll probably be called "Officer Howard" or even just "Howard" anyway. Worst case they're called Akira but the name's unisex anyway so 🤷.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
So when you select the male twin, female twin is also called Akira ?
It seems weird. Is Akira a common name for girls in Japan ?

EDIT : someone has tried to name the player character "Akira" to see if the NPC is also called Akira in that case ?
I did, and yes, the name doesn't change. Both would be called Akira in that scenario. As far as I know, although it's predominantly a masculine name, Akira is fairly gender-neutral.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's real dumb. They should've just given both characters a name and a voice and a personality.

Nov 14, 2017
If they did make it into Smash, I like the idea if just using the Legionus title, this would make it easy to have alt skins being the support cast, would be awesome.
Yeah I agree, Legionus is specific to the series and catches your attention more than Akira.

I feel like the alt skins would probably just use the colors that the game itself gives you though, like the medical set or the military set. Probably would have
The Ravens gear
as well.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Both forms of Officer Howard would most likely be playable. But if Sakurai sticks to his protagonists-first mentality, Akira won't be chosen.
Because they're both are officer Howard.

Since you can name the playable character. They have to use Officer Howard to get around it.

I bet Akira will be used if Astral Chain is in Smash. It's similar to Robin honestly.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they're both are officer Howard.

Since you can name the playable character. They have to use Officer Howard to get around it.

I bet Akira will be used if Astral Chain is in Smash. It's similar to Robin honestly.
But that doesn't make any sense given the context of the actual game.

It'd be like if they decided to call Pokemon trainer Blue/Green.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty confusing thread... trying to read between the lines here:

If too many people ask for Akira Howard for Smash then the dude becomes the default if "Akira" gets picked, because the girl is the default Officer Howard in marketing?

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
They would both be in Smash anyway as a choice and they'll be named Akira there since it can be a boy name or a girl name.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty confusing thread... trying to read between the lines here:

If too many people ask for Akira Howard for Smash then the dude becomes the default if "Akira" gets picked, because the girl is the default Officer Howard in marketing?

Whichever character you don't play as is "Akira".

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This is a common misconception that I've noticed across both here & social media (especially when it comes to requests for them in Smash) that has bothered me to no end. And since I'd rather not constantly correct people in threads, I thought I should explain it here since I used to make the same mistake.

OFFICER HOWARD

Officer Howard is the player character. They're the one you name, the one you play as, the older twin, & so on. And, for better or worse, they're also the silent protagonist of the game. They can also be referred to as Legonis, but they mostly go by "you" or "Howard". Likewise, Officer is one of the earliest title you obtain in Astral Chain, hence the "Officer" in Officer Howard.

AKIRA HOWARD

89hMJX9.jpg

Akira, as mentioned before, is the younger twin you don't choose in Astral Chain. They're the ones with an actual personality & talk quite a bit, often speaking for Officer Howard for whatever reason. To use an example, if I chose Female Officer Howard & name her Akane, the male version becomes Akira. Akira also differs from Officer Howard due to the character arc that they undergo compared to the chosen twin (which gets into spoilers, which I won't discuss in the OP, but please spoiler tag any spoilers if you wish to discuss them here).

Of course, if you want Akira Howard & their personality specifically in Smash, that's fine. But if you want the player character, that's Officer Howard, not Akira Howard. Still, I hope I was able to clear up any confusion regarding the Howard twins.

You are a buffoon.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If I pick the male character, my twin will be female right?