• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

John recently had the opportunity to visit Nintendo of Europe in Frankfurt, to check out an early build of Platinum Games' fascinating Astral Chain. The amount of footage we can show is unfortunately limited, but hopefully by the end of this video you'll get an idea of why this game is worth showcasing.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Quite the surprise this is out today, wasn't expecting Astral Chain stuff for another week or two. Giving it a listen/watch now.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Jan 2, 2018

All of this is powered by PlatinumGames in-house engine which is shaping up nicely on Switch. Unlike most titles from Platinum, however, Astral Chain targets just 30 frames per second instead. The slower nature of the gameplay and larger environments feel like a fair trade-off. It's an attractive game then with fluid animation, detailed worlds to explore and plenty of modern visual effects.

When you take everything together, then, Astral Chain is one ambitious project with a wider selection of unique ideas and gameplay concepts than any other Platinum title to date. Whether or not it all congeals into something coherent remains to be seen but, at this point, it holds a lot of promise.

Sounds really good!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This was the game I was pulling for a Pro revision of the Switch for. At least the game seems to be staying close to the 30 FPS target.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
John finding it difficult to describe what the game actually is makes me happy. Sounds like it's a lot more than a typical action or Platinum game.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
"It's basically Platinum combat, but with a little Deus Ex and a little Zelda"

Uhh, yes please.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Does it say something about performance?
It's weird seeing a non 60fps Platinum Game again.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished not too long ago, yeah let's go ahead and fast forward to Aug 30th now please.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
My preload is ready.
giphy.gif

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Platinum aren't technical magician by marge, but the difference between this exclusive VS Ultimate Alliance is baffling for the letter.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
My body is ready. First game I preordered this year and was able to cut a deal on Amazon for just 43€ (normaly it around 60€ to 70€). Referring to Zelda is getting me hyped up! Hype train here we go!

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is a super weird one but I love what I played. It's very different and more complex than any Platinum title I've played. That makes it interesting but probably hard to sell to people, I'd imagine.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very excited about the game. 30fps is a bit of a downer, but I'll take it over no Platinum game. My LE pre-order is ready!

Yeah, this is a super weird one but I love what I played. It's very different and more complex than any Platinum title I've played. That makes it interesting but probably hard to sell to people, I'd imagine.
Oh you lucky bastard for having done that. And here is the rest of us, waiting! :(

Oct 25, 2017
Did you find it easy to control both the character and the legion in combat, or did it take some getting used to? I wonder if they were afraid of poor reception by people with less time to play and get used to the controls, and that's why it didn't have an E3 demo or something.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did you find it easy to control both the character and the legion in combat, or did it take some getting used to? I wonder if they were afraid of poor reception by people with less time to play and get used to the controls, and that's why it didn't have an E3 demo or something.
Yeah. I adapted quick enough but it had a learning curve. I played for 90 minutes and just started to feel comfortable.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about just skipping FE for this game since action combat is more up my alley.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty bold move to make this a 30fps games. I hope this turns out great. I'm seems so

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty bold move to make this a 30fps games. I hope this turns out great. I'm seems so
It's a slower paced game, I found. Between the From-like controls to the more strategic combat, it doesn't have the same intensity of their other games. It's a more thoughtful combat system but it's good.

Better than what we got in Wonderful 101 with its wildly unstable performance.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a slower paced game, I found. Between the From-like controls to the more strategic combat, it doesn't have the same intensity of their other games. It's a more thoughtful combat system but it's good.

That's great. This seems like an all new PG experience

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Dark1x

With your short period with the game: What would you prefer, I see many have voiced maybe not here but on different forums, that they would prefer targeting 60fps over what looks to be pretty solid 30fps. Knowing PG's track record of framerate game usually goes all over the place ranging from 2X - 60.

Man, I really hope that Astral Chain will be successful in terms of copies sold. What I've seen so far looks like a game of the utmost quality with both the gameplay and the art style looking absolutely fantastic. Can't wait any longer, looking forward to its release.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dark1x

With your short period with the game: What would you prefer, I see many have voiced maybe not here but on different forums, that they would prefer targeting 60fps over what looks to be pretty solid 30fps. Knowing PG's track record of framerate game usually goes all over the place ranging from 2X - 60.
Locked 30 for sure. I don't think they could deliver a stable 60 with these visuals and they've shown a willingness to ship very unstable games. So locking to 30 makes sense and will allow for a more stable overall game.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Dark1x

60 fps is always better if all things are equal. But it's way too hard to tell what would have been lost

Honestly I prefer 30 with the bells and whistles

Brix

Oct 25, 2017

Stop. I can only get so erect.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Locked 30 for sure. I don't think they could deliver a stable 60 with these visuals and they've shown a willingness to ship very unstable games. So locking to 30 makes sense and will allow for a more stable overall game.

Thought so, even if it's 30 it looks really smooth. Cant wait to dig in to this game! =)
Thanks for the reply and the preview.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I adapted quick enough but it had a learning curve. I played for 90 minutes and just started to feel comfortable.
Thanks! That makes sense, yeah. Crazy that you played for 90 minutes but can only show 5. Kind of weird. But it's fine, it ended up being enough footage for the preview. Didn't stick out as a negative or anything.

Now that you mention it, they're more than happy with shipping 40~50fps games, so for them to lock this to 30, there really isn't a lot of headroom at all.