• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Newb question: I've been watching these in baffled admiration that an "amateur" is making this stuff. That term is obviously absurd - but I'm wondering how much of the design is his vs extant elements from. The IP? Like the Tie Fighter prison egg or the metal Rootball- Para-membered Titan.

I've been wondering the same. It's beautifully visually developed, crafted, and his storytelling skills are amazing. But I kept wondering how much is inherited from established work, like the Space Marine armor design.

The scene with the two white-clad Marines eliminating the priest-like dude with extreme prejudice is amazing.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I may have gone bit crazy?

So I download all five parts at highest possible quality and stripped them down to total of 19 GIFs.

Did I go bit overboard?

They are HERE

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I'd say the marines are still presented as fascist arrogant monks in many cases and some chapters are barely any better than the Chaos forces they call traitors. As to the depiction of women in 40K the Sisters of Battle are usually who'll see and they're often as bad as the Space Marines in terms of zealous fury and willingness to commit crimes against humanity in the name of the Emperor.
Yup. The only decent Sisters of Battle in their omnibus were the main character and a kind sister hospitaller but she's a medicae so that's a given. The sisters seem more ignorant and even more merciless compared to some chapters which is bonkers.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
It's absolutely and utterly astounding, to the point where it's unbelievable, that this is made by just one person. The variety of skills needed to actually make something like this is just incredible.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wondering the same. It's beautifully visually developed, crafted, and his storytelling skills are amazing. But I kept wondering how much is inherited from established work, like the Space Marine armor design.

The scene with the two white-clad Marines eliminating the priest-like dude with extreme prejudice is amazing.

I found this interview with "Syama Pedersen" where he says specifically that he doesn't like universes that stay too small by continually relying on returning or existing factions /elements.

I'd love to know more about his process and to respond to another poster hell yeah we'd hire this guy if he were available and we had a position that matched his experience and abilities and you can bet your ass he's been approached by multiple people looking to see if he's a fit.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Concerning women as Space Marines, to play the devil's advocate, I wouldn't think it would fit the mood and atmosphere of what the Space Marine chapters are to be honest, the fact that they're segregated, all Male space marines and all female sisters of battle, really gives an accurate medieval, inquisitorial, monastic vibe that they're using, same as how we have all female and all male priesthoods.

As for lore wise, Space Marines are the most zealous and most importantly superstitious bunch in the whole 40k universe, they'd rather destroy an alien weapon that might give them an edge than use it since it's a xeno artifact, they'd wipe out an entire planet on the hunch of planet wide heresy, given that, it would fit them to segregate women from the space marine chapters as to not invite any possibility temptation, like a Space Marine being tempted by Slaaneshi thoughts. Tho it would make for an interesting story, A Space Marine being tempted by lust.

OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
Newb question: I've been watching these in baffled admiration that an "amateur" is making this stuff. That term is obviously absurd - but I'm wondering how much of the design is his vs extant elements from. The IP? Like the Tie Fighter prison egg or the metal Rootball- Para-membered Titan.
he's like 92-95% based off of the actual stuff it supposed to be.
with minor liberties to improve realistic functionality.

theres all sorts of stuff in the lore.

company markings is all based in the lore, although this specific chapter is a homebrew (fan made).
The way the marines move and fight is also lore accurate.

This guy is a professional vfx artist, and has a great job from what I understand, he just does this for fun.

the egg could be an Umbra
PAf5FCh.jpg

or something else entirely.

40k is so darn vast it has most things covered within it.

the dismembered "titan" is likely a deamon host.
actual titans in 40k is another thing entirely.
Warhammer_178ada_6005125.jpg

if theres anything specific you want to know ask. :)

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found this interview with "Syama Pedersen" where he says specifically that he doesn't like universes that stay too small by continually relying on returning or existing factions /elements.

I'd love to know more about his process and to respond to another poster hell yeah we'd hire this guy if he were available and we had a position that matched his experience and abilities and you can bet your ass he's been approached by multiple people looking to see if he's a fit.

To be honest I kind of figured a lot of people who worked on Halo would have been fans of 40K considering some of the similarities you find between the two IPs.

OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
Tons are yes. I'm more of a looky loo. Hence my ignorance.
so stinkles theres a great well to watch/listen to while you work on other projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6M9-oFEKpk&list=PLl6BRvEJ-auZ5aYPHj1B3pKJ_pLjg9qNU

but specifically I think this. is probably the best toe dip into 40k lore.

from here I say watch a luetin vid on orks in 40k.

orks in 40k are a ancient biological weapon gone awry, they are a fungus. literally.

then just start the playlist from the beginning

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are there non-youtube versions (high bitrate versions) behind one the patreon options?

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

There's a fair amount here that is lifting directly from established visuals, be they the decades of wilder art and concept material behind the 40K universe, or the more codified look of the minis etc. However, there's plenty here that doesn't have direct WH40K analogues - the mysterious spheres, the psychic masked warriors, the warped world the marine is transported to... - and even within the stuff that is heavily based on 40K sources he's tweaking things and making decisions about movement, behaviour and detail that are his own creative choices.

There's some really intelligent design and animation work going on here that translates things like text descriptions of Marine movement and behaviour (the best authors working in the 40K sandpit often hit on how inhuman and unnerving these guys are, and how removed they are from the humans they were engineered to conquer the stars for) and makes it work as part of a cohesive, singular vision. Its also packed with little details and references that work in this interpretation, and speak to his familiarity and understanding of the world he's playing with - for example, the devotional seals and protective papers fluttering in the corridor access to the imprisoned sphere.

I think the best comparison here is to the best Marvel film design work - yes, they're building on visualisations from greats like Kirby or Ditko, but they're doing that translation work brilliantly, and bringing novel, smartly executed design and art alongside it that meshes well.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Concerning women as Space Marines, to play the devil's advocate, I wouldn't think it would fit the mood and atmosphere of what the Space Marine chapters are to be honest, the fact that they're segregated, all Male space marines and all female sisters of battle, really gives an accurate medieval, inquisitorial, monastic vibe that they're using, same as how we have all female and all male priesthoods.

As for lore wise, Space Marines are the most zealous and most importantly superstitious bunch in the whole 40k universe, they'd rather destroy an alien weapon that might give them an edge than use it since it's a xeno artifact, they'd wipe out an entire planet on the hunch of planet wide heresy, given that, it would fit them to segregate women from the space marine chapters as to not invite any possibility temptation, like a Space Marine being tempted by Slaaneshi thoughts. Tho it would make for an interesting story, A Space Marine being tempted by lust.

I don't think every property needs to include women in spite of plot IF the property is aware of the meaning that has for its consumers and isn't presenting it as a "good thing" that already gullible young men could use to reinforce negative real world behaviors or philosophies - using nazis as an example it would be bizarre to have a Sammy Davis Jr playing an SS officer with no irony or purpose - but it wouldn't be weird at all to have a white Jewish actor play the same role.

On the flipside there's zero issue with having a story about Sammy Davis Jr's character as an SS officer if the material supports it - satire, allegory, etc - if Warhammer or some other universe excluded women for a meaningful plot reason and it's not idealized (that's hard to fully control even with artist intent as stuff like reality TV painfully demonstrates - role models whose character and presentation are intended as the opposite) then by all means present the stories consistently. Of course that doesn't mean a story about women in that universe couldn't be compelling if done well.

Problem is less about IP rules and context than it is about knee-jerk fandom brigading and irrational mysoginy. As any female actor in a Star Wars movie is painfully aware.

OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
so part of the reason as to why no female space marines, that is slowly forming in the lore (its still evolving).

Space marines, astartes, are a genetic dead end.
The emperor was guiding mankinds evolution into a psykic species, and if all humans became marines, humans would never evolve into what they were natually supposed to.

as for female marines, im all for em. they would look exactly the same as a marine in armor however. just a headswap when the helmet isnt on.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

Sounds like you maybe haven't watched the earlier episodes, if so you should definitely do that.

My short summary: There are 2 ancient evil alien space orbs. The "good" space guys have already captured one and try to get information out of it.
They learn of a second one, which is in the hands of rebel forces so space guys go to capture it. When captured the two orbs start to talking to each other
saying they have failed. They already captured Orb then takes over space inquisitor and is killed. Space guys then get sucked into the Orb and transported
to an acnient alien hellworld.

With the proper direction it would be amazing. I'm really curious how this style would translate to a longer project, or maybe even a feature length movie.

It would probably look/fell similar to Valhalla rising.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Dawn of War games had some decent CG cutscenes of the Space Marines doing their thing against various threats like the Orks and Eldar. The DOW2 intro even has a scene reminiscent of the fight with the two psykers in part 4 but against an Eldar.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
There's a fair amount here that is lifting directly from established visuals, be they the decades of wilder art and concept material behind the 40K universe, or the more codified look of the minis etc. However, there's plenty here that doesn't have direct WH40K analogues - the mysterious spheres, the psychic masked warriors, the warped world the marine is transported to... - and even within the stuff that is heavily based on 40K sources he's tweaking things and making decisions about movement, behaviour and detail that are his own creative choices.

There's some really intelligent design and animation work going on here that translates things like text descriptions of Marine movement and behaviour (the best authors working in the 40K sandpit often hit on how inhuman and unnerving these guys are, and how removed they are from the humans they were engineered to conquer the stars for) and makes it work as part of a cohesive, singular vision. Its also packed with little details and references that work in this interpretation, and speak to his familiarity and understanding of the world he's playing with - for example, the devotional seals and protective papers fluttering in the corridor access to the imprisoned sphere.

I think the best comparison here is to the best Marvel film design work - yes, they're building on visualisations from greats like Kirby or Ditko, but they're doing that translation work brilliantly, and bringing novel, smartly executed design and art alongside it that meshes well.
Great post.

Astartes here is really unique - as it really respects the "lore" of warhammer 40k, while also having its wonderful own internal consistencies and designs (Don't get me started on how incredibly amazing the disciples, sphere, titan human form, or the autoguns that the ship ratings use look, they are amazing).

It also is obviously introducing some of its own visuals which, might be similar to things described in 40K novels (a lot of the primarch novels take place in the webway areas or strange alien worlds pre-crusade, that also... have really unique architecture or themes), but are also just freaking unique and so polished.

I just cannot wait to find out what happens next, and even if I do not find out what happens next, I am just so excited that "I want to know more".

Some of the best parts of the horus heresy novels are some the mysteries they leave open on purpose.

OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
The Dawn of War games had some decent CG cutscenes of the Space Marines doing their thing against various threats like the Orks and Eldar. The DOW2 intro even has a scene reminiscent of the fight with the two psykers in part 4 but against an Eldar.

ya, I just wished they showed how fast eldar/banshees are. they can at times, move so fast video cameras only catch them for a frame before they are gone.

I think the best outcome for this, given that he has likely declined being hired by GW.
is GW giving him a license to produce 40k content, and give him assistance.

imagine this guy doing a anthology series for netflix.

it would be bonkers

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017

Most lore states that Space Marines are either sterile as a result of the augments, or brainwashed from their training, to have any sexual desire (except Space Wolves maybe). But there was a story about one chapter fueling a Slaaneshi demon through their repressed emotions, and defeated it by not trying to act like robots all the time.

As for the "No female SM" rule, I have a bit of headcanon about the IRL reason why:

40K ultimately revolves around selling plastic miniatures, and back during the late 80's when the series first appeared, a lot of the early models were not what one would consider as "artistic masterpieces". I think they tried to make some female characters, but with the shortcomings of their manufacturing processes, the results ranged from unrecognizable to nightmare fuel. Seeing the failure of their efforts, they then came up with an in-universe explanation as to why women couldn't be Space Marines. But now with 30 years of lore reinforcing that notion, and their once grimdark catholic space nazi universe gradually becoming more diverse, and in some cases dare I say progressive, they have to figure out how to incorporate these new elements without retconning the most popular faction in a way that will scare off the alt-right whales.

OP
OP
Greigor the FellHand
Oct 26, 2017
Most lore states that Space Marines are either sterile as a result of the augments, or brainwashed from their training, to have any sexual desire (except Space Wolves maybe). But there was a story about one chapter fueling a Slaaneshi demon through their repressed emetions, and defeated it by not trying to act like robots all the time.

As for the "No female SM" rule, I have a bit of headcanon about the IRL reason why:

40K ultimately revolves around selling plastic miniatures, and back during the late 80's when the series first appeared, a lot of the early models were not what one would consider as "artistic masterpieces". I think they tried to make some female characters, but with the shortcomings of their manufacturing processes, the results ranged from unrecognizable to nightmare fuel. Seeing the failure of their efforts, they then came up with an in-universe explanation as to why women couldn't be Space Marines. But now with 30 years of lore reinforcing that notion, and their once grimdark catholic space nazi universe gradually becoming more diverse, and in some cases dare I say progressive, they have to figure out how to incorporate these new elements without retconning the most popular faction in a way that will scare off the alt-right whales.
in a recent spacewolves book, a space wolf mused at trying to make a fenrisian tribeswomen into a space marine because she demanded it.

my own other headcannon is.

No one ever tried.

with how backwards the imperium is, no one ever thought about even attempting to have a woman go through the process.

kinda like how the imperium forgot about the switch on pasma guns that didnt make them overheat every time they use it

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
The Dawn of War 3 trailer was pretty good. I especially like the Eldar Wraithknight vs Imperial Knight scenes. Also, the entire thing is suitably grimdark.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
in a recent spacewolves book, a space wolf mused at trying to make a fenrisian tribeswomen into a space marine because she demanded it.

my own other headcannon is.

No one ever tried.

with how backwards the imperium is, no one ever thought about even attempting to have a woman go through the process.

kinda like how the imperium forgot about the switch on pasma guns that didnt make them overheat every time they use it
Or, if we want to bring the SUPER LORE into this discussion:

This show is pretty much how I got into 40K in the first place lol

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ya, I just wished they showed how fast eldar/banshees are. they can at times, move so fast video cameras only catch them for a frame before they are gone.

I think the best outcome for this, given that he has likely declined being hired by GW.
is GW giving him a license to produce 40k content, and give him assistance.

imagine this guy doing a anthology series for netflix.

it would be bonkers

The Astartes are pretty slow by most lore standards but I think this is more to do with the fact that this is a RTS game and the cutscene reflects a lot of stuff was toned down in the actual game for balancing reasons.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The Astartes are pretty slow by most lore standards but I think this is more to do with the fact that this is a RTS game and the cutscene reflects a lot of stuff was toned down in the actual game for balancing reasons.
The Dawn of War games are a good introduction to the universe and lore. The Space Marines are fast compared to everything else humanity has except Mechanicus creations. Eldar though are faster but not as durable or strong.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'd say the marines are still presented as fascist arrogant monks in many cases and some chapters are barely any better than the Chaos forces they call traitors. As to the depiction of women in 40K the Sisters of Battle are usually who'll see and they're often as bad as the Space Marines in terms of zealous fury and willingness to commit crimes against humanity in the name of the Emperor.

Supposedly, but they've long since moved away from showing Marines engaging in acts of fascism and instead they are thrust deep into the hero roles nowadays. The voices of reason in many situations and tireless defenders.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be shown as fascists by any means, just that they generally havn't been shown as that recently. And by recently I mean last decade or so. More reluctantly morally ambiguous.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Supposedly, but they've long since moved away from showing Marines engaging in acts of fascism and instead they are thrust deep into the hero roles nowadays. The voices of reason in many situations and tireless defenders.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be shown as fascists by any means, just that they generally havn't been shown as that recently. And by recently I mean last decade or so. More reluctantly morally ambiguous.
The Space Marines tend to know much more about the universe than their allies. Some chapters like the Salamanders, Ultramarines and Blood Angels have been shown recently to care about the common man and their duties as humanities protectors. But on the opposite spectrum the loyalist Carcharodon Astra take human slaves from tithe worlds so yeah.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

Way back when the Emperor was first creating the Primarchs and the Legions, Malcador suggested that some of them should be female to curb the inevitable dick waving of an all-male group. The Emperor looked at him like he was joking.

Or like posted above

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I think GW painted themselves into a corner by not having female Space Marines right from the start to the point that the lore itself have to justify it (ie. Primarchs, Custodes, and Space Marines are genetic replicants of the Emprah!). To their credit though, they are doing fine work pushing in and putting-in lore for female representation with Sororitas(ie. Church Warriors) and the Sisters of Silence (ie. anti-psyker Blanks). Though I still kinda wish that Dreamboat Girlyman and Bellysaurus Crawl created female Space Marines with their Primaris Space Marine initiative. Lore-wise, its a new generation of Space Marines, GW couldve gone nuts with the representation.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
This is probably my favorite exchange in 40k. Taken from the book Scars, this is a conversation between Fulgrim, Primarch of the Emperor's Children (who would eventually turn to chaos) and Jughatai Khan, Primarch of the White Scars. Know that Fulgrim is the greatest known swordsman.

Sanguinius looked at the Khan thoughtfully. 'I thought you, of all of us, would feel joy for Horus.'

The Khan shrugged. 'He is the best of us, I begrudge him nothing, and I have told him so. But it should never have happened.'

'So should it have been you?' asked Fulgrim acerbically. Mortarion snorted again, but Sanguinius said nothing.

'I wouldn't have taken it,' said the Khan.

'Of course you would have,' said Fulgrim.

The Khan shook his head. 'I have no use for another title. My people give me enough.'

Sanguinius smiled. 'My brother, I think you are the most inscrutable of us all. I know what Rogal wants, and I know what Roboute wants, but even after so long I have no idea what you want.'

'He wants to be left alone,' said Fulgrim. 'To shoot off into the stars and hunt down xenos on those delightful jetbikes. They're devilishly fast. I heard from a contact on Mars, Jaghatai, that you do strange things to your ships.'

The Khan shot him a heavy-lidded stare. 'I heard you do strange things to your warriors.'

Fulgrim's slender face briefly flared with anger, but Sanguinius laughed.

'I wonder which one of you would win in a duel,' the Angel mused. 'I would like to see that. You both handle a blade like gods.'

'Name the place, brother,' Fulgrim said to the Khan. 'I'd even travel to Chogoris, if you built a palace to keep the dust from my armour.'

The Khan felt the insult. It stabbed at him, deeply, but his expression never changed. They could never know, none of them, how much their closed fraternity rankled him.

'You would lose,' said the Khan.

Fulgrim grinned, but there was something fragile in it. 'Oh?'

'You would lose because you would treat it like a game, like you treat everything, and I would not. You would lose because you know nothing of me, and I know everything of you because you shout it from the turrets of your battle cruisers. My prowess remains unknown. You have some reputation as a swordsman, brother, but I make no boast when I tell you I would leave you choking on it.'

Fulgrim's cheeks flushed. For a moment, he looked like he would go for his blade. As ever, Sanguinius's calm smile soothed the moment.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
This is probably my favorite exchange in 40k. Taken from the book Scars, this is a conversation between Fulgrim, Primarch of the Emperor's Children (who would eventually turn to chaos) and Jughatai Khan, Primarch of the White Scars. Know that Fulgrim is the greatest known swordsman.

Sanguinius looked at the Khan thoughtfully. 'I thought you, of all of us, would feel joy for Horus.'

The Khan shrugged. 'He is the best of us, I begrudge him nothing, and I have told him so. But it should never have happened.'

'So should it have been you?' asked Fulgrim acerbically. Mortarion snorted again, but Sanguinius said nothing.

The Khan shook his head. 'I have no use for another title. My people give me enough.'

Sanguinius smiled. 'My brother, I think you are the most inscrutable of us all. I know what Rogal wants, and I know what Roboute wants, but even after so long I have no idea what you want.'

'He wants to be left alone,' said Fulgrim. 'To shoot off into the stars and hunt down xenos on those delightful jetbikes. They're devilishly fast. I heard from a contact on Mars, Jaghatai, that you do strange things to your ships.'

The Khan shot him a heavy-lidded stare. 'I heard you do strange things to your warriors.'

'I wonder which one of you would win in a duel,' the Angel mused. 'I would like to see that. You both handle a blade like gods.'

'Name the place, brother,' Fulgrim said to the Khan. 'I'd even travel to Chogoris, if you built a palace to keep the dust from my armour.'

The Khan felt the insult. It stabbed at him, deeply, but his expression never changed. They could never know, none of them, how much their closed fraternity rankled him.

'You would lose because you would treat it like a game, like you treat everything, and I would not. You would lose because you know nothing of me, and I know everything of you because you shout it from the turrets of your battle cruisers. My prowess remains unknown. You have some reputation as a swordsman, brother, but I make no boast when I tell you I would leave you choking on it.'

Fulgrim's cheeks flushed. For a moment, he looked like he would go for his blade. As ever, Sanguinius's calm smile soothed the moment.
The Khan is the best primarch. I love how his ideology clashes with The Emperor and the imperial truth. Plus he actually cares for civilians and despises tyrants.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
So, the Carcharodons

Are they World Eaters, Night Lords, Raven Guard or a weird smash up of all three?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All this to remind us that Sanguinius is Best Primarch.

Look how Horus massacred our golden boy :(

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
So, the Carcharodons

Are they World Eaters, Night Lords, Raven Guard or a weird smash up of all three?

There's a very high chance of them being the descendants of the original Terran Raven Guard that Corax exiled because they were slavers. They do business with a known renegade Raven Guard Chapter who claim that they haven't forgotten the Primarch (the Sharks on the other hand say oaths to the "Forgotten Primarch").
There's also a high likelihood of them having, ehm, salvaged geneseed from other sources.

Yup. The only decent Sisters of Battle in their omnibus were the main character and a kind sister hospitaller but she's a medicae so that's a given. The sisters seem more ignorant and even more merciless compared to some chapters which is bonkers.
When you start hearing the holy voice of The Holy Emperor Of Mankind, you can start judging, until then.

Cleans your words with a round of bolters a round of meltas and a round of flamers.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

Angels of Death Trailer 2

Blood Angels vs Tyranids… IN SPAAAAAAACE! Check out the breathtaking new trailer for Angels of Death and catch up on the latest reveals here: https://bit.ly...

Also a few hours ago GW released a new trailer for their animated Blood Angels series