• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish games workshop cared more. I think the old guard there simply just aren't ready to take Warhammer 40k anywhere where it needs to be. As someone else said producing these quicker or hiring them for a film would probably do more to bring people into 40k than anything else they can do. But secondly they'd need digestible content that normal people would want to get into. Not pen and paper/tabletop unfortunately. The fact we haven't seen another polished chaos gate type game out of them since the popularity of turn based tactical speaks volumes about their position. I know there's been more out there recently, but a lot are mobile or smaller titles with very limited scope. They haven't invested in reaching a new type of audience at all and if makes me sad.

I don't even know how prohibitive they've been with licensing since Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. Which I still thought was a great game, but I can understand them being burned on that potentially. But a good turn based tactical ala Xcom would be a bridge game for current and new audiences.
Mechanicus is already an XCOM type game

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how prohibitive they've been with licensing since Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. Which I still thought was a great game, but I can understand them being burned on that potentially. But a good turn based tactical ala Xcom would be a bridge game for current and new audiences.

They probably aren't selective enough, actually. They'll let just about anyone use the license nowadays. Old GW died with the leadership change and they've pivoted to actually caring about the fluff and the TT game instead of just selling models.

40k is one XCOM/Total War level title away from exploding in popularity IMO. The fleet games are solid but everything else is really hit or miss.

I feel like Paradox could make an absolutely insane 40k game if they took up the license.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awww. Jut saw on his patreon that apparently this was the final part of this chapters story, and the next one will start a whole new story focusing on a new chapter. So we'll probably never figure out WTF just happened.
The real ending was the friends we made along the way. 😂
Thedonald kind of stuff.

The worst videos if she is the one are a couple of years old.

Could be just a random war gamer girl but a lot of them went righty so its moot.
She has issues with feminist 40k but the video was rather long so I don't know what specifically they are. It's a shame since her depth of knowledge is impressive as hell.
Annnnnd, video closed and removed from watch history.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Awww. Jut saw on his patreon that apparently this was the final part of this chapters story, and the next one will start a whole new story focusing on a new chapter. So we'll probably never figure out WTF just happened.

I think he'll tie them in somehow. Eldar are always up to no good and that's where the teaser is headed.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They probably aren't selective enough, actually. They'll let just about anyone use the license nowadays. Old GW died with the leadership change and they've pivoted to actually caring about the fluff and the TT game instead of just selling models.

40k is one XCOM/Total War level title away from exploding in popularity IMO. The fleet games are solid but everything else is really hit or miss.

I feel like Paradox could make an absolutely insane 40k game if they took up the license.
isn't Mechanicus basicly 40k XCOM?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Wonder if they make their mom clean their dirty power armor when they come home after a long hard fought campaign.
Generally power armor maintenance is handled by serfs or in the case of the Salamanders and a few other chapters, by the Marines themselves as it's part of their Chapter culture to be trained in tech handling, maintenance and occasionally, production. Salamanders in particular are very much into blacksmithing and very often produce a couple of deadly weapons, Vulkan having himself made a few so terrifying he decided that they are better locked away.

Would be pretty funny and probably not totally out there if the families of Marines were all also trained in blacksmithing. :P

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Checking her most popular videos she describes herself as center right politically and doesn't want female space marines.
She has issues with feminist 40k but the video was rather long so I don't know what specifically they are. It's a shame since her depth of knowledge is impressive as hell.
Ooph no thanks, won't watch that video. Surely less suspect wargame channels out there doing vids on Astartes.
Unfortunately many believe how the Imperium operates is justified and makes sense in how brutal the universe is in 40K. It's absurd seeing posts on the lore subreddits saying how what The Emperor has done is even remotely acceptable.
Oh and don't even ask some fans about female space marines.
A worrying amount.

While WH40K is an amazing foundation to tell stories, for me, for example, the Space Marines are pretty awesome but also terrifying as fuck. The vastness, size and strength of the Human Imperium is amazing, but it is also absolute horror in the cost and toll it takes on humans. The whole universe of 40K is true terror of what humanity could end up as at it's pinnacle of worst.

And of course, people being the stupid fucks they are, are drawn to this premise thinking that is how it should be. Because they are goddamn idiots.

The Emperor would be displeased with them. And any alt-righter who likes WH40K should heed the words of the big guy:
598.gif
Sadly, there's a decent chance of running into edgy alt-right types when engaging with 40k as a hobby. Whether or not there's more of them than in other nerdy interests, I don't know.
There's a lot of stories of people just surviving or doing the right thing that belong to the Imperium of man. There is so much variety in the lore. The Imperium itself's viewpoints are pretty fucked much of the time though (and probably where you get the alt-right types congrerating). As many people have said, there is no "good guy" in 40K when you look at the full species.
There's definitely an argument that within the context of the fiction, the way the Imperium operates is necessary (not necessarily a view I subscribe to). But as usual there's people who think it's an admirable approach no matter the reality. It's like idiots who admire Rick from Rick & Morty without acknowledging that he's a ridiculous character that can only exist in a cartoon world.
There is a sizable chunk of the community that are chuds yes. I think one of the more popular youtubers ArchWarhammer is fairly far right. Luckily he seems to be shunned by most of the more sensible Warhammer community.
Enough that I can't just link to random youtube channels of lore or reviews because they are probably alt-right...
Well nevermind then.

No wonder there are so many people who would say things like God Emperor Trump. This franchise is prime material for the baddies to believe in wholeheartedly, much like Vikings.

Surely there must be 40K authors who have introduced female Space Marines or other female soldiers in the lore? Non-white Space Marines? Any fan art? Any backlash?

Last edited:

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Well nevermind then.

No wonder there are so many people who would say things like God Emperor Trump. This franchise is prime material for the baddies to believe in wholeheartedly, much like Vikings.

Surely there must be 40K authors who have introduced female Space Marines or other female soldiers in the lore? Non-white Space Marines? Any fan art? Any backlash?
Female Space Marines are sadly a absolute hard no from Games Workshop for "lore purposes", so even their authors probably will never introduce them. But they have become a lot better at introducing female characters to the world in general and focusing on them. A audio-drama that I listened to recently and quite loved, Titan's Bane, has a woman commander of a Super Heavy Tank in the Astra Militarum as it's main protagonist. Since the new set of the Sororitas we've also seen more Sisters of Battle stuff come out.

With a little luck, hopefully, we'll also see more gender varied Astra Militarum troops for the minis in the future, cause let's face it, the Imperium is not picky who holds a gun and dies as long as they can point it in the right direction.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Female Space Marines are sadly a absolute hard no from Games Workshop for "lore purposes", so even their authors probably will never introduce them. But they have become a lot better at introducing female characters to the world in general and focusing on them. A audio-drama that I listened to recently and quite loved, Titan's Bane, has a woman commander of a Super Heavy Tank in the Astra Militarum as it's main protagonist. Since the new set of the Sororitas we've also seen more Sisters of Battle stuff come out.

With a little luck, hopefully, we'll also see more gender varied Astra Militarum troops for the minis in the future, cause let's face it, the Imperium is not picky who holds a gun and dies as long as they can point it in the right direction.
For lore purposes or for sexism purposes? 😅

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
For lore purposes or for sexism purposes? 😅
As said, "lore". Still not exactly sure what, how or why, but "lore".

That or they created WH40K long ago back when it was only assumed boys would be into it and they had dug the hole way too deep by the time they realized everyone could be into it so they just threw their hands in the air and went "LORE! THAT'S WHY!" "Yeah but what exactly is the rea~" "LOOOOOORE!".

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Oh ok Astartes don't have much humanity, they're more angels of death and women have too much humanity and femininity is always goodness so they can never be Space Marines and only way Space Marines stand out is if there are no women compared to other franchises hahahahahaha

Yeah the out of setting reasons have more to do like the people who created it in their time were sexist and ignorant of female soldiers and range of femininity and marketed it as a boy toy so they made it a boys only club and are stubborn to keep it that way even if 40K authors want to introduce.

Glad at least Halo has its female Spartans like Kat and Kelly. Does StarCraft have any female space marines?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Oh ok Astartes don't have much humanity, they're more angels of death and women have too much humanity and femininity is always goodness so they can never be Space Marines and only way Space Marines stand out is if there are no women compared to other franchises hahahahahaha

Yeah the out of setting reasons have more to do like the people who created it in their time were sexist and ignorant of female soldiers and range of femininity and marketed it as a boy toy so they made it a boys only club and are stubborn to keep it that way even if 40K authors want to introduce.

Glad at least Halo has its female Spartans like Kat and Kelly. Does StarCraft have any female space marines?

Terran soldiers are just normal humans in power suits. I'm not saying this to explain away the sexism. As it doesn't seem impossible to have females implanted with Gene seeds and modified etc. Space Marines are raised from a young age like Spartans in Halo go through rigorous trials that most don't survive, are genetically modified etc. Most die and all that. The only reason they probably go with that whole story is because it's supposed to be only the most powerful of the powerful physically, mentally etc can become space Marines. There's a ton of lore, I genuinely mean that talking about how space Marines as an order came to be from way before 40k and then extends into 40k and has excercised that lore as long as it's existed. So it's been rooted for decades in the literature. But that came from a time where that was also acceptable to be exclusionary. Not much reason anymore aside from angry nerds to keep holding out.

Tldr from my limited knowledge and only to explain why they hide behind lore as an excuse I guess. I don't agree with it.

I also just watched that video and it's cringe as hell and the argument makes no sense. Yes, someone stripped of their humanity is no longer human. That has nothing to do with sex/gender. They're just machines basically according to them. And yet, the most beloved characters by many, are still absolutely human and the lore even talks about that lol. It's an interesting part of the grey area in 40k imo too. The fact different chapters hold vastly different views on their role/position in the universe. Some believe they are superior to humanity, some believe they are there to defend and protect humanity (as was their original point in creation). Etc. It's like different sects of knights, it's actually exactly like that. But my point is trying to say all space Marines are just soulless killing machines would be inane and boring as we couldn't relate to them whatsoever. So it's a terrible argument.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

I am pretty sure the reason in lore these days for primarchs, and therefore the gene seed implantation for space marines being male is because the emperor was sexist in his plans for galactic domination. Malcador the Sigilite makes a comment to this effect:

"'You brothers - such a nest of rivalries. I warned him to make you sisters, that it would make things more civilised. He thought I was joking. I wasn't.' "

The imperiums founding was indeed not gender equal in all ways - unlike say, the mechanicum, which has male and female being an irrelevant category for power, augmentation, anything.

That is not to say that the imperium is wholly sexist in all of its branches, just distinctly in the ultra militant genebred death warrior monks segment. Extremely powerful inquisitors, ordo militants, mechanicus, administratum, etc. can be male or female with no distinction.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like females are represented in much better ways in 40k. Sisters of Battle, Sisters of Silence, Callidus Assasins, and female Inquisitors are all rad. The female genestealer magus is one of my favorite models. Elder/Dark Eldar/Harlequins are absolutely brimming with females. House Escher is one of the most popular faction in Necromunda. Shadowsun is one of, if not the greatest hero of the Tau empire. The various females in the Slaanesh demonic line are fantastic. If/when female representation is expanded upon, I would like to see them in the Imperial Guard. There are already rare things like a female commissars and I believe there is currently a limited female guard fig out in the wild?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like females are represented in much better ways in 40k. Sisters of Battle, Sisters of Silence, Callidus Assasins, and female Inquisitors are all rad. The female genestealer magus is one of my favorite models. Elder/Dark Eldar/Harlequins are absolutely brimming with females. House Escher is one of the most popular faction in Necromunda. Shadowsun is one of, if not the greatest hero of the Tau empire. The various females in the Slaanesh demonic line are fantastic. If/when female representation is expanded upon, I would like to see them in the Imperial Guard. There are already rare things like a female commissars and I believe there is currently a limited female guard fig out in the wild?
Thankfully they did in 40k Space Marine and it was good. It also would have been fine with female ultra Marines too though. I agree with you that it's not necessarily under represented outside humanity. But, there's just not much reason not to include women. As others here said, the imperium isn't all that picky. They need as much fodder as possible to slow the tide. If you can hold and point a rifle you're basically fit to serve lol.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there were female space marines and they were made in a similar process to the male versions using gene seed from a Primarch then you probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the men and women. They'd all be 7 or 8 foot tall mountains of muscle who've had every part of their body transformed into being a better fighting machine sporting all manner of scars and probably artificial parts after enough battles.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If there were female space marines and they were made in a similar process to the male versions using gene seed from a Primarch then you probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference from the men and women. They'd all be 7 or 8 foot tall mountains of muscle who've had every part of their body transformed into being a better fighting machine sporting all manner of scars and probably artificial parts after enough battles.
Absolutely lol. They'd all just be massive shaved head mountains of muscle either way.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
A couple of cool things I found while browsing the YT comments:

At 4:26 you can here the Inquisitor (?) say in a very muffled voice what sounds like "Recall them immediately".

At the very end of the episode as the camera pans out on what appears to be a Tomb World, you can see the other marines warping in on the surrounding pillars in the distance.
What's a Tomb World?
How screwed are they?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What's a Tomb World?
How screwed are they?
I'm not knowledgable enough to say if it is, I just read some comments of fans theorizing.

Tomb World
A Tomb World is one of the worlds across the Milky Way Galaxy where the ancient and terrible xenos known as the Necrons chose to go into hibernation over 60 million standard years ago, deep beneath its surface in their specially prepared catacombs and tombs.

warhammer40k.fandom.com

Tomb World

"Order. Unity. Obedience. We taught the galaxy these things long ago, and we will do so again." —Imotekh the Stormlord, Phaeron of the Sautekh Dynasty, Regent of Mandragora A Tomb World is one of the worlds across the Milky Way Galaxy where the ancient and terrible xenos known as the Necrons...

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

Other people in this thread will probably know more details about this, but as far as I remember the emperor looks middle eastern, but has no real ethnicity.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
A couple of cool things I found while browsing the YT comments:

At 4:26 you can here the Inquisitor (?) say in a very muffled voice what sounds like "Recall them immediately".

At the very end of the episode as the camera pans out on what appears to be a Tomb World, you can see the other marines warping in on the surrounding pillars in the distance.

If thats a Tomb World those Marines are all screwed. I highly doubt it is but that teleportation would alert the Necrons or at least reawaken that world in some fashion.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other people in this thread will probably know more details about this, but as far as I remember the emperor looks middle eastern, but has no real ethnicity.

No one is sure of his exact origins but one of the more accepted versions place him as being born in what would be Anatolia in 8000 BC.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
All of the books i have read felt more anti authoritarian to me with most people having a shit life and just trying to get by and most people at the top beeing dicks.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The Sisters of Battle omnibus has a short story that does a great job on detailing how the Imperium views working with psykers in general: don't.

Hell there is a whole chapter of Space Marines that don't even use them if they don't have to: Black Templars. Of course we are talking about a chapter that doesn't really listen to the rules and may number over 6000 so they may not even need psykers.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell there is a whole chapter of Space Marines that don't even use them if they don't have to: Black Templars. Of course we are talking about a chapter that doesn't really listen to the rules and may number over 6000 so they may not even need psykers.

Vice versa you've got the Grey Knights who are all Psykers and generally quite powerful and together they can be incredibly devastating.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Vice versa you've got the Grey Knights who are all Psykers and generally quite powerful and together they can be incredibly devastating.

Well those guys are super special since not a single one has had their minds rip out from the inside becoming a portal for the horrors of the warp spewing upon the the worlds of the Imperium.
Hell do we even know how they are really made? They have the Emperors Gene-seed but thats all I know.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well those guys are super special since not a single one has had their minds rip out from the inside becoming a portal for the horrors of the warp spewing upon the the worlds of the Imperium.
Hell do we even know how they are really made? They have the Emperors Gene-seed but thats all I know.

They go through training that makes even "regular" Space Marine training look like a walk in the park on a sunny afternoon. 666 trials of insanity that I think only like 1 in a million can realistically make it through. Then after everything they actually wipe your mind so you have no memory of your past to eliminate all prior loyalties or potential weakspots.

Yu Kigono

Oct 25, 2017
If there were female space marines and they were made in a similar process to the male versions using gene seed from a Primarch then you probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the men and women. They'd all be 7 or 8 foot tall mountains of muscle who've had every part of their body transformed into being a better fighting machine sporting all manner of scars and probably artificial parts after enough battles.
Interestingly, when they rebooted Warhammer Fantasy into Age of Sigmar, they added a new faction called the Stormcast Eternals. They are basically fantasy space marines, and have both male and female models/characters. So they can definitely do it when starting the "lore" anew.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like they haven't done hard resets on lore before e.g. Necrons, and it's not as if a female in power armour would look any different to a male. SoB are amazing though so I'm not crying out for female marines.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly, when they rebooted Warhammer Fantasy into Age of Sigmar, they added a new faction called the Stormcast Eternals. They are basically fantasy space marines, and have both male and female models/characters. So they can definitely do it when starting the "lore" anew.

My point was that the Space Marine transformation would leave most women looking like their male counterparts, especially after they donned full power armor. Unless of course for some reason GW decided to give them booby chestplate power armor or something dumb.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Official Gameworkshop mini-series coming out "soon", 2nd trailer just landed.

www.youtube.com

Angels of Death Trailer 2

Blood Angels vs Tyranids… IN SPAAAAAAACE! Check out the breathtaking new trailer for Angels of Death and catch up on the latest reveals here: https://bit.ly...

Oct 26, 2017
Ooph no thanks, won't watch that video. Surely less suspect wargame channels out there doing vids on Astartes.

Well nevermind then.

Like I say, don't let it put you off if you're interested. It's a nerdy hobby so it naturally attracts a certain type of obnoxious person, much like gaming but they're generally easy to ignore.
Dan Abnett has done a pretty good job of writing women in his books. His most well known franchise, Gaunts Ghosts, has women being introduced into an all male unit during a recruitment a few books in and a couple of characters voice their displeasure but are quickly proven wrong. A fair few of them become main characters that stand alongside the already established ones. In the Ravenor books, he has a couple of women in his small specialist team, Kara Swole and Patience Kys and they're both pretty badass, especially Patience. Abnett's also pretty good at writing about cultural differences between units from different worlds. He introduced the Vitrian Dragoons, an all black unit, for example who come with their own armour/uniform styles and traditions.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of representation from GW, anybody else noted the shift they made recently? Not just the women amongst sigmarites but quite a few black people have started popping up in the SoB. A handful of the sigmarite had been black, and before that almost every human was white {no, Salamanders don't count). I guess the higher ups realised they were rather lacking in that area.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017

www.youtube.com

Blood Angels vs Tyranids… IN SPAAAAAAACE! Check out the breathtaking new trailer for Angels of Death and catch up on the latest reveals here: https://bit.ly...

Wheel to port and set to full ramming speed. Prepare to board the Hive ship.

I totally see Blood Angels as crazy enough to go full Rogue Trader tactics on an enemy.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of representation from GW, anybody else noted the shift they made recently? Not just the women amongst sigmarites but quite a few black people have started popping up in the SoB. A handful of the sigmarite had been black, and before that almost every human was white {no, Salamanders don't count). I guess the higher ups realised they were rather lacking in that area.

40K had a kind of stilted representation. If you're society at one point was known for being a military powerhouse you got represented in 40K. The Khan was basically a Ghenghis Kahn stand in down to using very mobile long range fighting forces to defeat his enemies or Leman Russ and the Space Wolves for vikings (and werewolves). That said its not like they were even great about this aspect as its not like you saw any Space Marines based on the Aztecs or the Zulu.

That said I believe some of the old guard at GW either leaving or being replaced has opened things up as of late, both in terms of ideas for their IPs and how they license them out.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Typical. Almost every WH40K story ends up with the good guys losing and so many unanswered questions.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

VOID WARFARE! Looking much better in this trailer, I have high hopes after how well he did solo, limited budget, and time on Helsreach.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

www.youtube.com

I'm sure this will be great as was his Helsreach series but after the Astartes series i am spoiled.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Newb question: I've been watching these in baffled admiration that an "amateur" is making this stuff. That term is obviously absurd - but I'm wondering how much of the design is his vs extant elements from. The IP? Like the Tie Fighter prison egg or the metal Rootball- Para-membered Titan.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The thing with women is interesting because in recent books I've read the majority of main character roles for non-marine characters tend to be human as so to make up for the lack of male marines. So the writers all clearly want to feature more women in them.

Thing is not having female marines works if you want to present the marines as fascist arrogant monks. But clearly in the last 100 or so books out there, if they were once like that they aren't now.

Marines are cool heroes now, if violent, and have been for a while. They're likable and usually save the day. So the situation is more that women are arbitrarily being left out of being the cool heros for no real reason.

Newb question: I've been watching these in baffled admiration that an "amateur" is making this stuff. That term is obviously absurd - but I'm wondering how much of the design is his vs extant elements from. The IP? Like the Tie Fighter prison egg or the metal Rootball- Para-membered Titan.

There's nothing in it that goes against established lore.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully he's fishing for a Netflix deal and this gets rebranded as a prologue

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why somebody hasn't snatched him up yet is beyond me.

If one guy can make this for you, what can't he do with a team?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I literally don't know anything about WH40k except that it is a board game with cool miniatures and the universe I'd some sort of cryptofascist nightmare blend of Dune, exaggerated hyper masculinity, dark ancient majik and power levels that make MCU look consistent.

I've always admired it for its sort of quiet purity and external opacity. It's not for you unless you're already into it and it's internally self-consistent but keeps growing.

So here's what your mom or ignorant little brother thought was happening :

Those space armor dudes are tasked with guarding an ancient evil ball. If nobody volunteers as a sentinel to watch over it, it'll reach out into this world and things will go mad south.

They've been watching it for decades or Millenia and sometimes it's inert and sometimes active. Reports of odd behavior make the space guys come to check in and make sure it doesn't evil all over the place.

The volunteer is a survivor from the early "research" and one of the space guys who figured out how to restrain it somehow or at least warn space guy hq. he's been meditating abd watching for an unreasonably long time

Eventually evil ball activates either a plan or a normal life cycle behavior, infects the sentinel /watchman, and the observation squad executes him to cut off the ball's external influence.

The ball retaliates or feeds by sucking n space guys and one of them avoids being digested by firing at the last second to blow off his captured hand - but is sucked into the evil Crom palace dimension or palace of evil ancient ones - possibly long dead and the ball is just their of evil magic tech exhibiting a node in our space guy universe /dimension.

Now he's gonna check it out for treasure or tech for the King or emperor or find a way out.

I eagerly await my correction on probably every single notion the typed.

But it's still badass.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing with women is interesting because in recent books I've read the majority of main character roles for non-marine characters tend to be human as so to make up for the lack of male marines. So the writers all clearly want to feature more women in them.

Thing is not having female marines works if you want to present the marines as fascist arrogant monks. But clearly in the last 100 or so books out there, if they were once like that they aren't now.

Marines are cool heroes now, if violent, and have been for a while. They're likable and usually save the day. So the situation is more that women are arbitrarily being left out of being the cool heros for no real reason.

I'd say the marines are still presented as fascist arrogant monks in many cases and some chapters are barely any better than the Chaos forces they call traitors. As to the depiction of women in 40K the Sisters of Battle are usually who'll see and they're often as bad as the Space Marines in terms of zealous fury and willingness to commit crimes against humanity in the name of the Emperor.

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
According to one of the 40K subreddits, this is the best explanation I've seen:
The only part in that post that I might disagree with is who they are referring to as "Alpha", as there are Alpha-level psykers in lore, and we see the Inquisitor getting possessed, as psykers often do. But otherwise, pretty much everything else seems believable.