• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What type of Scale should Obsidian’s next game have

• Massive Open World

Votes: 123 18.9%
  • Smaller scale like in The Outer Worlds

Votes: 168 25.8%
  • Somewhere in between, not a massive open world like Fallout but not as confined as TOW

Votes: 361 55.4%

• Total voters

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Outer Worlds has received critical acclaim for being a great RPG and a return of the type of RPG that Mass Effect and Fallout used to be.

Throughout the process of developing and marketing The Outer Worlds, Obsidian made it clear that this was a AA game, and had a very strict budget.

You can easily see this as the game is more linear like a KOTOR, has reused assets, and had a few restrictions (no third person camera, limited companion options, etc.)

I was wondering for whatever their next game is, whether that is TOW2 or another IP, if you think they should increase the scale of their game to a massive open world, or continue to refine what they did so well in The Outer Worlds.

They have said that TOW2 won't necessarily be an open worls, but nothing is concrete.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I want them to develop a new South Park game. Ubi San Fran's effort was good, but not great. TSOT is still the better game.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Bigger budget should not always means open world.
There are alot of areas the Outer Worlds would benfit from a bigger budget but bigger world is not one of them imo.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm a big fan of the Mass Effect 1/KotOR Hub design, so I would like to see an expanded version of that for the next Outer Worlds game.

As for their other IPs, I trust Obsidian to choose what they think is best.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Smaller scale like The Outer Worlds (Or perhaps just a tiny bit bigger just to not have camps of enemy factions not at walking distance from each other), but with more production values in it. I really just want better facial animations, more organic transitions, better graphics, etc. Maybe RDR2 just spoiled me too much though.

I do want them to ditch waypoints next time though. They feel like a crutch basically every open world game relies on.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds ended up being a lot smaller scale than I thought it would be so I'm guessing the next game will be more inbetween the two.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The size of TOW was just right in my opinion. Adding on to that in a meaningful way would be great. Not too much bloat. Every planet would have meaning, giving the team more room to add side quests/missions, companion quests and worth while exploring.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i'm really enjoying outer worlds for what it is but i hope the next project is a little more grounded. the broad humor and characters in TOW isn't really the best for roleplaying. I'd love the next project to have much more layered roleplay writing, and I care about that more than the game being "truly" open world or whatever.

I want them to develop a new South Park game. Ubi San Fran's effort was good, but not great. TSOT is still the better game.

please god no

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I want them to take the ideas from The Outer Worlds and make an Alpha Protocol-esque game.

Don't take the resources and put it into bigger areas. Make them more detailed. Make more of them. And hopefully find a way to discourage that feeling of an area being "used up" that develops so quickly in The Outer Worlds.

For all of the flaws in a Bethesda game I don't end up feeling constantly like there's a super limited total number of resources in the game, and that if I don't steal everything, lockpick everything, etc. I'll be missing out. I feel that constantly in The Outer Worlds and it's super distracting to me.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Give me areas the size of the Outer Worlds but give me space combat traversal between these areas. 👀

Oct 26, 2017
PLEASE have any interesting cutscene direction.

It's unreal that WRPGs continue to tell stories exclusively through starring directly at the character talking, it's so dull.

Hire people who can figure out how to incorporate movie like cinematography into WRPGs.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I want Obsidian to go all out.

Finally make a game they wanted to with no constraints. I did select open world but I'm fine with anything.

It's time for them to rise out of the shadow of bioware and bethesda.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I want them to go open world. If possible, I would like to see them invest more resources on Animation. I mean TOW dialogue was great, such a shame that it was limited to just face-to-face conversation.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
hire better writers

and bigger doesn't mean better i'd rather have a game set in a single location if it means the story and world are better fleshed out and the characters more compelling.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played TOW, but something like Dishonored would be amazing- smaller areas that are complex and dense but allow you freedom of movement and exploration

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seem's like they don't want to make an open world game, so not that. More ambitious than TOW is fine. It's obvious from their comments they wanted to do more but couldn't.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Seem's like they don't want to make an open world game, so not that. More ambitious than TOW is fine. It's obvious from their comments they wanted to do more but couldn't.

Their talk about open worlds really smacked of PR to promote The Outer Worlds not being an open world game more than anything. I would be very surprised if open world games are totally off the table at Obsidian. They were clear about not wanting sequels to TOW to be open world, but that doesn't really say much about other games they might make.

(I say this as someone who would prefer they do games with smaller, TOW style zones. So I'm not just fanboying open worlds :P)

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I want MS to show that same 1.2bn dollar investment dedication with their AAA games like they did with their indie games. Give EA whatever they want for the rights to licence KOTOR and get Obsidian on making the sequel to KOTOR 2. We never got to see what dark evils were roaming the galaxy or where Revan went which the 2nd game seemed to imply would come in a sequel.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I like most about The Outer Worlds is that each location is relatively small. It makes the game feel manageable. I'm sick of games that feel the need to have a massive world just for the sake of it.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Space bounty hunter romp that treks an entire galaxy. Give them Jet Force Gemini and let them forge a masterpiece.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'd much rather they produce more frequent/smaller games that can experiment and be weird than mega-blockbuster AAAA stuff that will invariably be sanded down even more.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds with an AAA budget to really put people on notice is probably what MS wants.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
They should go as big as they can without breaking what makes their games so good. Eventually a game can be too big to fill with interesting characters, locations, and quests and that's where you need to dial it back.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter much to me. If they wanna go large and open, great. If they wanna go dense and detailed, great.

It's Obsidian and they always make games I want to play, regardless of scope. I do hope we get a sequel to The Outer Worlds from time to time.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Maybe one more planet but more importantly more elaborate quests / ending

Scope doesn't matter, systems does. There are enough conventional, nice romps out there not taking any risks in terms of structure. Obsidian can take a risk

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Depends on the game. Outer Worlds 2 I want the style of the first with a bit bigger worlds and/or more and a bit more visual storytelling like Bethesda does (i.e. You run across a body named Ted holding a Teddy Bear. You meet a girl in town who says her dad was torn to shreds by Canids and promised her a bear. That sorta thing).

For their Pillars of Eternity 3rd Person Game/Skyrim Killer/Whatever I want a game the size of Skyrim or slightly bigger/smaller. Not too big.

For their next isometric game size matters not.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
While i'm still playing outer worlds( jsut got the ship operational), i prefer pilalrs of eternity and tyranny. Tyranny has been a lot of fun and would enjoy another game in that vein.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did not know Obsidian made that South Park game. How does it compare to Outer W and NVegas?

I just started The Outer World's so I didn't know the scale was smaller until now. I was fine with Fallout 3s big wasteland, I'd like something big like that next game.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I think they need to keep churning out these "smaller" games. Early on its about generating some positive momentum. Bigger projects tend to have a higher chance of delays or things going awry. Stick to what you know best and then have your one big game per gen because once they have a massive hit they will be working on a sequel and that will ultimately hurt their creativity.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Have yet to play OW, but does the scale compare to the hub world based Deus Ex HR/MD?

Personally, I would like for them to make another isometric game and failing whatever they feel like they can make without compromising depth for scale.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
In between for sure.

I love big open worlds, don't get me wrong. I even love worlds that some people say are too big (like the recent Assassin's Creed games) but I'm not sure they're the best idea if you aren't a massive dev like Ubisoft or Rockstar.

Outer Worlds' scale is fine, I wouldn't be unhappy if their next game is similar in scale, but I think something in between that and Bethesda's games would be perfect.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I'm more interested in the reactivity of the world than the size of it. I want my choices to mold the story and the world, make my playthrough as unique as possible.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want a 3rd person Mass Effect spiritual successor.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Everywhere I go, the Outer Worlds gets praised exactly because it's smaller and shorter in scope. People are apparently kind of done with the huge open world sprawl littered with generic side content and endless traversal.

So they'd be smart to keep that compact feel.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I'm more interested in the reactivity of the world than the size of it. I want my choices to mold the story and the world, make my playthrough as unique as possible.
Exactly. I don't want a longer game, but I want a game where my choices are more important. For example, I want areas that I only visit if I do the choice X or Y, like in The Witcher 2.

Do your own The Witcher 2 Obsidian, please!