• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will you play first?

• PS4 game

• PS3 game

• PS2 game

• PS1 game

• Vita/PSP game (surprise!)

• I have no interest in BC

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
There are many rumors and leaks regarding the PS5, and one of the most mentioned rumors is the backward compatability with older hardware. Some say it's just PS4 games with various improvements, others say it's also PS3, PS2 and PS1 games.

Let's assume that it'll have BC with all the old hardware along with varying improvements (frame rate, resolution, etc), what's the first game you'll play?

Personally I'll most likely dive back into Red Dead Redemption 2, and hopefully enjoy it running with 60fps. I'll also play PS3 games that were never remastered (Mass Effect Trilogy, Dead Space Trilogy, FFXIII Trilogy) and a LOT of Tony Hawk games.

Edit: Several posters have asked regarding BC to the older consoles, ie PS1, PS2 and PS3. The rumors are mostly based on various patents filed by Sony (source), so it's nothing confirmed at all, this thread is mostly just for fun IF it was true.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 backlog lol. Basically all I care to play tbh. I'm gonna finish that shit up and move on to PS5 titles.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
PS4 enhanced retrocompability is not a rumour, it's been confirmed by Sony...
If all are in, I'd play PS2, probably would launch one of the Fatal Frames first.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
Probably Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1) because it's one of my faves

yes I am literally gonna get an expensive next gen console and start off by playing a 20 year old game

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Bloodborne, I hope they can do it like xbox with forced 16x AF, if they can even force Smaa in reshade, that's even better.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say without knowing what's coming at launch, but I never made the jump to the Pro so I'd really like to re-play Horizon. Depending on the level of enhancements we're talking about, I wouldn't mind playing Bloodborne for a fifth time.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
I hardly ever replay games so at best I'd probably fire something up for 10 minutes and go "that's neat" then never touch it again.
SSX Tricky might be an exception though...

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if PSP/Vita support is that much of a stretch... Heck, theoretically, they could even include the hardware given the compact size the Vita TV form factor...

At any rate, probably PS3 and PS1, mostly. I still have quite a bit of a backlog on both systems, and native support would absolutely be great.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ps4 is all i want

Ps1 games - meh dont hold up very well (1st gen 3d)
Ps2 - most good games are ported/remade already
Ps3 - sonys worst console contentwise. I would only play one game - Demons Souls

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
If it allowed for ps3 discs than either the puppeteer or 3d for heroes. Both games I bought for ps3 right before i acquired ps4 but since I never want to turn on my ps3, they collect dust unfortunately. The ps4 just showed me How slow the ps3 really is in comparison.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
But how will you enjoy MGS4 without the minutes long chapter loading? It's integral to the pacing tbh

Kidding, obviously. MGS4 is a game that would greatly benefit from that SSD

I think a lot of us also kinda forgot how bad MGS4's frame rate can be. This game will greatly benefit from a 60 FPS mode (Or hell .. a locked 30 FPS mode).

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
The fact that Sony hasn't outright denied PS3 BC leads me to believe( or hope) that they're working on it, because they're obviously aware of the consumer outcry for it, and if it wasn't coming I think they've have squashed it by now.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of Graces F. I bought it on a digital sale a while back but I've been too lazy to hook up my PS3 to download and play it.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
If PS3 is included then I've got a massive list of games from PS+ that I wouldn't mind playing. Or maybe just some Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1/2

PS4 wise I definitely pop in Bloodborne and Dark Souls III.

who am I kidding I'll just be playing Destiny

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Monster hunter world. Hope that since its already running unlocked it will keep 60fps stable and maintain highest res coded to

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls III, because if the PS5 BC uses the Pro patches of games, it'll have an unlocked FPS and will most likely be 60fps locked. Hopefully.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where did the PS3, ps2 and ps1 rumor come from? So ps5 will have a cell processor for backwards compatibility with PS3?