• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Lets assume that by some miricle, Squadron 42 (Episode 1) gets released in late 2022 or sometime in 2023, and Episode 2 happens by the end of 2025. or whatever, the base game comes out in 2022/2023 on PC, and its actually finished, fairly polished, fairly impressive visually, good gameplay, decent story, etc. A game worthy of a 7 or an 8 out of 10. Regardless. it successfully launches on PC. Given Xbox Series X technical specifications, RAM, CPU, SSD, etc. Do you think it would be capable running S42 60fps, Ultra at 1080p native, or high at 1440p+ and 60fps? And taking into account all the reconstruction options out there.

I do hope S42 gets finished and there are a lot of good campaign missions that are fun to play, along with great cinematics (Love Gary Oldman!) and I'd love to play S42 on a console, even though I have a gaming PC and will upgrade it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Why wouldn't the XSX be able to handle it?

The answer to your question is self evident. 60fps? Who knows but probably in some mode.

Console ports are definitely coming too.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if it could run on any PC on the market today it should be able to run on both next gen consoles with a bit of work. I'm sure Nixxes or a similar team could handle it just fine.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I'm pretty sure that they can make it run on it, why not?
I am also pretty sure tehy'll find *some* stupid reason why they *cant't*. Like "uhhh, were doint sooo advanced stuff, thats really more of a next-net-gen thing :) :)".

Because they don't want to.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't know what the final system requirements will be for that game. 1440p/60 seems like it would be a reasonable goal, I guess? But it's all conjecture at this point.

I have no doubt, both consoles are beasts
Have doubts. The game is a moving target. What used to be its spec targets have changed dramatically, and it's barely "playable" today on top hardware, let alone 1440p/60 solid.

We really have no idea where this game is going to land, realistically.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So I guess system requirement wise, Squadron 42 will be way, way beyond the system requirements for Star Citizen as of 3-4 years ago when a GTX 980 was enough for the various alpha releases. Is that where we're at with SC/S42 as of 2018-2020 ?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm pretty sure that they can make it run on it, why not?
I am also pretty sure tehy'll find *some* stupid reason why they *cant't*. Like "uhhh, were doint sooo advanced stuff, thats really more of a next-net-gen thing :) :)".

Because they don't want to.
The investors want ROI = port that shit yesterday.

So I guess system requirement wise, Squadron 42 will be way, way beyond the system requirements for Star Citizen as of 3-4 years ago when a GTX 980 was enough for the various alpha releases. Is that where we're at with SC/S42 as of 2018-2020 ?
We've never played in the contained universe of SQ42, so sys reqs are in the dark right now.

Shouldn't be nearly as costly as Star Citizen. Emphasis on shouldn't.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Yes.

At that point Vulkan renderer is finished and server side shouldn't be a problem on single player game.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

We've never played in the contained universe of SQ42, so sys reqs are in the dark right now.

Shouldn't be nearly as costly as Star Citizen.

Good point, thanks for mentioning it.

Yes.

At that point Vulkan renderer is finished and server side shouldn't be a problem on single player game.

Vulkan should really make a Series X version shine, especially if the GPU horsepower isn't wasted on raw pixel density. VRS could help some too.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
If Chris Roberts wasn't the worst project manager in history - you would have been playing it on PS4 / XBox One - three years ago. If it ever gets finished it will run fine on the next gen consoles.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020

Shouldn't be nearly as costly as Star Citizen. Emphasis on shouldn't.
If the investors want ROI they should force Roberts to finish the game like Microsoft did with Freelancer.

Maybe they'll sell us a console port for another cool 50$ mio crowdfunding.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
So this game requires you to keep buying new PCs just in anticipation as they move the goal posts?
It reminds me of when I bought the PS3 assuming Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy Versus 13 will come to it.

But honestly, You have no information right now to make a judgement.
Wait to see multiplatform games run on the xbox and compare to PC specs.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the series x probably could handle it, but the creators are adamant that it wont release on console out of principle, they do not like consoles...but, if microsoft or sony offered them a huge load of cash, that might be hard to turn down

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the final system requirements will be for that game. 1440p/60 seems like it would be a reasonable goal, I guess? But it's all conjecture at this point.

Have doubts. The game is a moving target. What used to be its spec targets have changed dramatically, and it's barely "playable" today on top hardware, let alone 1440p/60 solid.

We really have no idea where this game is going to land, realistically.
Because it's a demanding game or because it hasn't been optimized?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is a technical mess in so many ways. It'd already be something if a 1.0-ish version of it released this generation (on top of the fact it's episodic, too) for PC running somewhat decently, but I wouldn't trust them to finish competent console ports (unless they go Game Preview) during the generation, if ever.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
CIG already mentioned Star Citizen would never come to consoles, I doubt they'll go back on that now.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
When you say breaking a sweat. Do you include high frame rates such as 60fps and beyond? Does that count with people? I always wonder.

On Ultra at 4K? I'm sure they'd struggle to push 60 (unless, you know, CIG actually optimizes the game at some point). But no reason they couldn't easily push high frame rates by lowering settings a tad here and there, or using reconstructed 4K instead of native.

Y'all have to remember that on the GPU side the next gen consoles are literally better equipped than 90/95% of gaming PCs, so of course any game in development for PC right now would be able to run on them comfortably.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Not at PC max settings no. Any game can be scaled though. Not something to really worry about though since it's not coming to consoles.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
There is no way of no way knowing this until the game is basically finished and PC requirements are released.

My guess would be yes though, next gen consoles seem to be beasts.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
wasn't that comment made long before next gen started ramping up?
He made it during the ending of the 360/PS3 gen, but also said CIG had no plans to put it on PS4/XONE.

In his own words "It will never be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator." He also mentioned that he wanted both platforms to be fully open, and then would consider developing for them.