• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This must be the worst part of the year for our little critters. Please, ERA, make sure your cat and/or dog has somewhere safe to hide from all the noise next week :-(

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I hate the 4th of July now.

I got a little dog (a shorgi) and the noises terrify her. :(

Its like hours of Vietnam flashbacks for her.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I wonder if they sell noise cancelling headphones for animals…

mark-cuban-shark-tank.gif

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Never had a problem with them with any of our pets, but our youngest cat has inexplicably developed a fear of thunder and loud noises over the last winter. I think she's going to rough 4th this year.😔

Usually my wife's closet is off limits, but I open it up when there's thunder and let her hide in there. lol she's also learned how to sneak herself in if she really wants it.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
At least it's just fireworks. I never know when my neighbors are going to randomly start shooting their guns. They've been out at 11:00pm shooting before. I don't know what kind of guns they have, but they've got something that's semi-automatic. They'll go through what sounds like 30 or 40 rounds in just a few seconds.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
James_Franco_First_Time.jpg

It's only going to get worse next week unfortunately (assuming you live in the US). Year after year even moving from one spot to another it's almost inevitable unless you live in apartment.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
My dogs under my bed right now too. I live close enough to Disneyland that you can faintly hear the fireworks every night but he's used to that. These close loud bangs from Fourth of July assholes are too much though

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Fireworks "Season" is like a 3-week period around the 4th now. I heard people lighting off fireworks here in the OC a few nights ago, and expect it to last until the week after the 4th.
Which is especially bad since this is also the place where we have Fire Season.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
James_Franco_First_Time.jpg

It's only going to get worse next week unfortunately (assuming you live in the US). Year after year even moving from one spot to another it's almost inevitable unless you live in apartment.
Depends on the area. They set them off at mine often. Luckily my dog doesn't care but I️ can't stand em

grumpybat

Apr 12, 2021
USA
There are some straight up bombs exploding in my neighborhood tonight. No pets but it makes everyone jump out of their seats.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yep - some damn fools in my neighborhood are launching one or two barn busters a night between 9:00 to 11:00. Then I guess they run inside, turn their lights off, and pretend nothing happened.
It's why I'm up late typing this since it woke me and the wife up 😠

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Put on a very loud HD YouTube video of people duck hunting. Dogs will mix the gunshots from the tv with the fireworks outside. Try at your own risk, smart dogs can tell the difference probably.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
for a few years they were doing the city fireworks show right across the street from my house and that shit sounded like the world was ending

Oct 27, 2017
Where I live, the entirety of May through the middle of June is fireworks going off EVERY SINGLE DAY, multiple times a day and I have a little chihuahua who is terrified of them. Have to sedate her when they go a little too crazy with them, because you can't do anything around the house with her scared like that, she only wants to climb on top of me and burrow her head in my chest. Fucking hate these assholes and their fireworks

Oct 27, 2017
They were made illegal here last year, which reigned in some of the nonsense at least. Except July 4 when people still went hog wild with them.
Our older cat hides behind the toilet in my bathroom when they're going off.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I love fireworks !! I don't care what pets think.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, its not even close to July 4th. What the justification? Fuck fireworks. You seen it once, you're good for life.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
I adopted my cat last November and was dreading when this time of year rolled around because my last cat was absolutely terrified of fireworks.

My new cat doesn't give a FUCK. I'm in shock. She was just sitting in the window watching them. Yet she's terrified of my Mac startup sound. Go figure.

Anyway, don't be an asshole and light off shells in your neighborhoods. Get some quiet fountains or something.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
My dog hates fireworks and pretty much lives under my bed during the summer months.

But she is losing her hearing which sucks but this year she should be a little more comfortable since they wont bother her much.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
My dog loves fireworks he just thinks they're a super huge game made for him and he gets so excited. Now the sound of a pick up truck being started, that might as well be Satan coming after him himself.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine celebrating this shithole country

Can't wait for mass shooters to start slaughtering people during july 4th because of the chaos it would cause combined with fireworks exploding everywhere. Would be the most perfect celebration of this garbage fucking place.

Edit: ok maybe that was a morbid reply. Hope your pets are ok op.

Last edited:

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I hate July 4th even more now. It would be fine if assholes kept the fireworks to this one day, but around my neighborhood they have been shooting fireworks since Labor Day. At least two or three times a week.

OP, go to the vet and ask for Trazodone. It is a sedative and helps to calm them down. She still goes underneath the bed but it has helped my dog out.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
That's the beautiful sound of freedom!

Seriously though I hear so many stories of pets running from their home to get away from the sound. Make sure your pets can't escape this time of year in the U.S..

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ever since Michigan ended the fire work ban my neighbors have made me hate fireworks. They go fucking insane with them.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah my poor dog will shake violently all night as soon as she hears them. One day it will probably give her a heart attack. Used to love fireworks but now I feel like an old man bitching at the kids. Takes being a dog owner I guess to get it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
They were made illegal here last year, which reigned in some of the nonsense at least. Except July 4 when people still went hog wild with them.
Our older cat hides behind the toilet in my bathroom when they're going off.

They've been illegal where I'm at forever and they just seem to be getting worse. The cops clearly don't care. They can't possibly be registered events cause there's fireworks going off on random nights until like September every year, often in different locations.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah this time of the year and New Year's are the worse time for pets. Even myself I hate waking up in the middle of the night just to realize someone is setting off fireworks in the nearby field.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I was just talking to my daughters about this the other night when the neighbor was having at it at 9:45. It's rough for pets and little kids at bedtime.
My youngest had a hell of tough time the past two years.

It usually starts 2 weeks prior and stragglers up to a month after in this area. Luckily after 10pm the cops put a stop to it after complaints start on weeknights. Save for the 4th, then it's crazy even after 2am.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
In Texas it's been so hot and dry for weeks the grass is so brittle and probably hella flammable.

I'm really hoping dumbasses dont start a fire.

My dog though sleeps through booming thunder surprisingly. Even last night there were what sounded like 4 gunshots in the distance (yay) and neither dog bat an eye. I don't think fireworks have bothered him at New Years and so on either.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh it started over a month ago here. It lasts the entire time it's warm out. Not massive ones or anything but just a few random explosions every once and a while at night. Thankfully my cats don't freak out over it.

Also people speeding by with super loud motorcycles or dirtbikes.