• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The problem with Neon Chrome is that the roguelite package dilutes the shooting mechanics, and the random level generator is pretty weak. The other 10tons shooters are much better designed.
I absolutely agree on Neon Chrome. My personal favorite is Tesla vs Lovecraft, because I enjoy the pacing more than Jydge and the aesthetic more than Crimsonland.

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
if i play this solo are npcs controlling other characters in coop?
In the EX Options, you can buy an AI partner mode for 1,000 credits. That's not too many. I was past that by the time I beat the first boss, which doesn't take too long.

I just played an hour of the Switch version thanks to a very generous developer. I think Paz was feeling confident, because he said I could post impressions as long as it's not a review.

I finished the first zone solo, then went back and did all of it again in co-op. I replayed a couple levels to chase higher scores, unlocked some codex stuff, and looked through the options. That's the extent of what I've done so far. I'm focusing on technical impressions, since I already know I love the game itself. My Switch is solely a portable system for me, so all of this is undocked.

So far, this is a great fucking port. Right off the bat, it's native res and the framerate feels great. That was my biggest worry with the game, and based on the first zone I'm happy to say I'm having no complaints. I think I'm fairly sensitive to framerate issues. There are a quite a few Switch games I have bought and consider unplayable due to their unstable framerate. This feels smooth. I'm trying to look and feel for drops when shit starts popping off, but if they're there I'm not noticing them.

I played co-op with split joycons in tabletop mode. This was more enjoyable than I was expecting, but the game is a very different experience with one stick. Automatic targeting works, and it works well enough that we were getting good scores (until we really dropped the ball on the first boss). I don't find a single joycon to be a good controller for my long fingers, but this only uses the stick and the bumpers. It's much more comfortable when you don't have to use the face buttons. Performance held up, although it was likely harder to judge given I was sitting further away. I'd be interested in seeing DF look at this, because it feels nice.

I don't know if I'll play with a single joycon unless it's the only option. It's just too easy when you don't have to aim. My girlfriend loves it, though. She's enjoying the game way more with it on, and is even playing her own solo campaign. I love her, but she did kinda suck at this game back when we played it on PS4 and later revisited on Xbox. She's doing way better now that she can just focus on dodging. When you are playing on a regular controller, firing without moving the right stick makes auto aim kick in.

I'm done for the night, but if anyone has anything they want me to check out just let me know in here. If Paz is cool with it, I'll post some screenshots when I'm at work tomorrow. I don't mind transferring them from my card, so they won't get murdered by Twitter or Facebook compression.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
BUY

THIS

FUCKING

GAME!!!!!!!

Seriously, one of my favorites of the last decade is sooooo criminally underrated

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I had been waiting and hoping this would come to Switch. It's nice to hear confirmation from Paz that it's running at a decent clip from day one, and the pre-order discount is a killer incentive. I'll definitely have to check it out!

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
So i guess nothings coming to ps4,xbox or pc? ps4s already behind the xbox and pc i believe is also behind xbox

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
if i play this solo are npcs controlling other characters in coop?

You can unlock an EX Option (basically a bonus mode) to enable AI controlled team mates but the game is designed to be played solo at a base level, co-op is entirely optional.

I'm still salty they cancelled the Vita release. It's the only reason I bought it and never played it on PS4.

I feel terrible about that, we really did put a lot of time and effort into the Vita (and the Wii U) but we just couldn't reach the quality bar we deemed acceptable due to a combination of our own abilities, engine limitations, and the needs of the game.

So i guess nothings coming to ps4,xbox or pc? ps4s already behind the xbox and pc i believe is also behind xbox

We're looking into the logistics of bringing + content to PC (Which is not behind xbox), I'd never say never for the other consoles but it's unlikely. Right now we're focused entirely on the Switch release and making sure that goes as smooth as possible. The problem with bringing it to other platforms is that in some cases we've basically rebuilt the core of the game and used drastically different engine versions to try and push things as far as we could, which would turn an 'update' into basically be a whole new port necessitating 3-6 months of work.

There's a ton of new gameplay content and even more tech work that's gone into AAC+, it really is a whole new version of the game and that's why it has taken us years to finish.

I'm done for the night, but if anyone has anything they want me to check out just let me know in here. If Paz is cool with it, I'll post some screenshots when I'm at work tomorrow. I don't mind transferring them from my card, so they won't get murdered by Twitter or Facebook compression.

Of course you're welcome to! I'm glad you're digging AAC+ and even more thrilled that your partner is enjoying the accessibility stuff, this is exactly how I hoped things would play out. the auto aim stuff is almost like a gateway system because not having to think about that aspect lets you improve so much at the other stuff and later you can layer great aiming on top to become an even better player (Auto aiming will never be as perfectly efficient as human beings can be at the top end).

I'm also really happy that the performance is up to par for you :) I'm absolutely the same way where games like this have to have a certain level of performance to feel right for me, and that's part of why it took us so long to get this ready. Running smooth and looking crisp is essential for AAC+.

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Katlyn went and got the top score on the first 4 levels. Hasn't worked on the boss yet, but I think she will. She is very proud of her S+ scores.

It's pretty cool to watch. I love games like this, and it would be nice if this helps her get better at the genre. It also helps that it's a seamless process. I could see average players using it to help with a boss or tough level they may be struggling with. It doesn't involve switching the difficulty, it's just a useful assist if you want one.

Solid addition.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Just played a bit of this on Xbox, I must've gotten it through GwG or something. Felt great and will be a lot of fun on the go. Just hope the framerate doesn't dip too bad. Locked 60 would've been perfect though.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I feel terrible about that, we really did put a lot of time and effort into the Vita (and the Wii U) but we just couldn't reach the quality bar we deemed acceptable due to a combination of our own abilities, engine limitations, and the needs of the game.
Any chance we could see a "leaked" demo/preview or whatever of it? I'd love to see what it wound up like, even if it wasn't that great.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Any chance we could see a "leaked" demo/preview or whatever of it? I'd love to see what it wound up like, even if it wasn't that great.

Hmm probably not sorry, the builds were pretty different day to day as well since Tim was always trying different things to wring extra performance out of it, which meant breaking huge chunks of the game to get other chunks running a few frames better in pursuit of our performance targets.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this when checking the eShop today and immediately pre-purchased it.
Loved this ever since I played the demo thingy at EGX a few years back and played the shit out of the full release.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It was my favorite Gold game that I didn't already own in 2018. Very good game and under the radar. Big fan of twin stick shooters and this has a good gameplay loop to compliment the genre.

Old Indies are a bit overpriced relative to other platforms on the Switch but taking that out of the equation, it's worth $15.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be nice if we got a second eranian-developed Switch game in March? That would be so cool. Who would put out a game, though? What other indie dev who also posts on Era has a Switch port cooking up with no announced release date? Surely there's something else that can be served up soon.

aw yeah that would be the best month ever! (seriously though I'm trying my hardest to make that happen haha)

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well shit, I've been looking for a good twin-stick shooter to play. Wish there was online, but with all the praise I'm reading and that discount? Pre-ordering now!

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
I was really looking forward to the Wii U version of Assault Android Cactus back in the day, which understandably never materialized, and yet didn't pull the trigger on the PS4 version even when it was on sale - maybe the hopeful idea of a Switch release was still in the back of my mind. And it's happened! In the form of Assault Android Cactus+, which sounds great from what Paz has detailed earlier and the trailer has displayed. Very cool to see, good luck to Witch Beam and hopefully this does great.

I'd like to pick it up on launch, especially as the pre-order discount helps, but I'll definitely pick it up eventually so that I can finally try it for myself. The game has always looked like a blast.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I've been waiting years for this, preordered this morning.
This game is an absolutely amazing twin stick shooter. It's so darn smooth.

The problem with Neon Chrome is that the roguelite package dilutes the shooting mechanics, and the random level generator is pretty weak. The other 10tons shooters are much better designed.
For me the problem with like...maybe every twin stick shooter I've considered getting on Switch, is stuff like that. Even the basic between level gun upgrade/customization stuff. Just dump me into the game and let me concentrate on blowing everything up. I want a balls out arcadey game, I don't need no illusions of depth with periphery RPG or rogue like elements getting in the way of that.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting years for this, preordered this morning.

For me the problem with like...maybe every twin stick shooter I've considered getting on Switch, is stuff like that. Even the basic between level gun upgrade/customization stuff. Just dump me into the game and let me concentrate on blowing everything up. I want a balls out arcadey game, I don't need no illusions of depth with periphery RPG or rogue like elements getting in the way of that.
You should try the aforementioned Crimsonland. No roguelike elements. There's levels and arcade modes. Beating the levels unlocks more things that can drop in the arcade modes, but there's no upgrading or grinding or such things.

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Was able to put more time in during my lunch break. Various things, all from undocked play:

Video capture is in. They're 30 fps of course, but still neat. I don't particularly feel like posting 30 fps video of this game before release, though. It wouldn't be an accurate representation of it.

Menus have touch controls. This sounds minor, but I dislike it when games ignore the touch screen.

When playing Infinite Drive, the system stopped installing an update I had going. It restarted when I closed the game, but not when I suspended. I relaunched the game but didn't start any modes, and the update continued to install while I had the game suspended. This isn't uncommon for Switch stuff, I've found. Not an issue, just something to be aware of if you're like me and usually just suspend games.

Infinite Drive was running well at higher layers. I think I got to 18, and it was still solid. When certain waves spawned I could tell it wasn't quite 60, but the drops were negligible. Nothing that impacted the feel or was distracting. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't trying to look for framerate issues.

I unlocked the EX option for AI companions, and played a bit with 4 players. Good news is, it works. My Switch didn't melt, I couldn't hear the fan going (I played with it muted), and I'd consider it absolutely playable and still impressive. I could see that the framerate was dropping, though. It never got terrible, but it definitely felt like it was dropping to somewhere in the 40s pretty often. I don't think 4-player co-op on an undocked Switch is the best way to play the game, but if you're willing to deal with the performance impact the option is there. It wasn't jerky or chugging, just lost the smoothness of solo and 2-player co-op.

Playing this right after attempting to play Crash Bandicoot on the Switch really drives home how important native res is for handheld games. It is SO refreshing to not be staring at a blurry mess. Everything is crisp, colors pop, environments remain impressive. Having it locked to 720p goes a looooong way.

I would be really interested in seeing a Digital Foundry analysis at some point. Hopefully it's on your radar, Dark1x.

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is this game worth it solo ?
Yeah, I think so. It won't take you long to run through the campaign (like 4 hours, IIRC), but there's a lot of extra content. Daily and Infinite Drives, Campaign+, EX modifiers, 9 characters with unique weapons, and leaderboards if you're into chasing high scores. Unless you're the kind of person who runs through a campaign once and moves on, there's a lot of stuff to play.

I'm not trying to sound like a shill here, I just legitimately love this game.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Can speak from personal experience, the Switch version is damn nice. I don't think it's 100% flat 60 in cutscenes, but sure seems like it in-game. And that's handheld, too.

AAC was fucking made for the Switch/handheld. About the only thing throwing me is the joysticks on the joycons not being aligned so my aim can be a little off with the right joystick, but that's it. Maybe I might try an external controller.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Menus have touch controls. This sounds minor, but I dislike it when games ignore the touch screen.
Fucking Olliolli is a culprit of this. It even has huge-arse buttons between stages as a hangover from the Vita versions (which used touchscreen fine, from what I remember) but I'll try and touch the screen on the Switch, and... nothing.

Is this game worth it solo ?
Absolutely! I don't think I've ever played it co-op (on any platform) and I'm not itching to do so.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're looking in to the logistics of that, it's more likely for pc than other consoles, but for now we're focused entirely on the switch release to ensure it's as good as it can be.

It's a fairly significant rebuild of the game in some ways, in terms of both tech and content.
Just want to say, your team is talented and very underrated.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Question for Paz, did you guys try gyro cursor aiming? I remember using the Wii pointer with Geometry Wars way back, and used the mouse for AAC on PC, in theory it'd seem nice as a control method on Switch unless drift issues make it unplayable or something.
You should try the aforementioned Crimsonland. No roguelike elements. There's levels and arcade modes. Beating the levels unlocks more things that can drop in the arcade modes, but there's no upgrading or grinding or such things.
Yeah I've heard about it, I remember asking somewhere way back and it was one of the only ones that seemed to fit the bill...but watching videos just turned me off I guess. Just looked janky or slow or something, maybe just zoomed too far out. Ultimately the game I really wanted was AAC so I guess it's all good now.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Update(ish): Using an external controller (NES30 Pro by 8bitdo) alleviates the feel of the akimbo joycon joysticks, game plays even better IMO. This is handheld mode BTW.

I'm keen to try it with a single joycon too, I bet this game will be perfect for 4P tabletop play.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Question for Paz, did you guys try gyro cursor aiming? I remember using the Wii pointer with Geometry Wars way back, and used the mouse for AAC on PC, in theory it'd seem nice as a control method on Switch unless drift issues make it unplayable or something.

Yeah I've heard about it, I remember asking somewhere way back and it was one of the only ones that seemed to fit the bill...but watching videos just turned me off I guess. Just looked janky or slow or something, maybe just zoomed too far out. Ultimately the game I really wanted was AAC so I guess it's all good now.

We've looked in to various cursor stuff over the years and on Wii U we had plans to support the pointer with wiimotes but for switch we decided to focus on making controller selection as seamless as possible and developing the accessibility options for single joycon support instead of fiddling with pointers and drift etc.

As a side bonus all those options work on regular pads too, when I'm in the mood for relaxed destruction I just stop pushing on the right stick and enjoy some auto aim mayhem when it kicks in after a few seconds :)

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Infinite Drive was running well at higher layers. I think I got to 18, and it was still solid. When certain waves spawned I could tell it wasn't quite 60, but the drops were negligible. Nothing that impacted the feel or was distracting. I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't trying to look for framerate issues.
Dark1x.

Thanks for your impressions on this, just curious if you've played Dead Cells and noticed the framerate issues in that game? And if the drops are comparable to that? So many previews said the framerate in Dead Cells was 60 and rarely ever dropped...after playing it myself that certainly wasn't the case.

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I like using auto aim on the first few layers in Infinite Drive, the taking over around layer 15 when things start getting serious.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Loved the game when I bought it a few years ago on steam.
Was sad that it didn't get more recognition.
Didn't even expect something new out of it.
So gonna buy it again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for your impressions on this, just curious if you've played Dead Cells and noticed the framerate issues in that game? And if the drops are comparable to that? So many previews said the framerate in Dead Cells was 60 and rarely ever dropped...after playing it myself that certainly wasn't the case.

I didn't buy Dead Cells because of the framerate issues. Not going to bother until they fix it. I get where you're coming from about people saying Switch games have acceptable framerates when they don't. I'm not an expert on identifying a framerate, but I can feel when it's garbage. I consider Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to be unplayable in handheld due to its framerate issues, but plenty of people are fine with it.

I'm not as sensitive as some on this forum, but I notice framerate issues. So far, the only time the framerate was noticeably worse to me was when I set up 3 AI partners. Even that wasn't really bad, but I still need to try it on later levels or infinite drive. I don't think 4 players in tabletop mode is really something I'd recommend, though.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not as sensitive as some on this forum, but I notice framerate issues. So far, the only time the framerate was noticeably worse to me was when I set up 3 AI partners. Even that wasn't really bad, but I still need to try it on later levels or infinite drive. I don't think 4 players in tabletop mode is really something I'd recommend, though.
Try the ultimate test, 4 player FPS Mode.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is the ability to have AI partners a new thing? I don't remember that from the PC version, although admittedly, I haven't played it much after the initial launch (great game, but got distracted by other stuff).

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm hardly an unbiased source but In regular 1 player gameplay I feel confident in saying it'll be 60fps >95% of the time.

But yes 4 players will be less consistent as it simultaneously scales up the number of enemies and player characters and they then need to interact with each other as well.

AI Partners was always an EX Option you could unlock, though they're a lot better now on the Switch with how much work we've done on various AI bits :)

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to pass because I have it on PS4, but I may get it on day one for the remixed stages.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Part of me is all "I already own this on Steam" but another part of me is all "it's a good game & with a good dev & I'd probably get a lot of mileage out of being able to play it portably." Plus the port sounds like a really high quality one (and hopefully all that optimization can transfer over to the next game).

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, if you like twin stick shooters and score chasing this is a great game. The best long lost Dreamcast game ever! ;)