• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo store page. It will be $19.99 regularly.

(images from Nintendo's site)

HcTVCbR7jdD03NGOb7iFi9DZ-RBChGBF.jpg

ydeU3onOjRP0Mv9rb9DxSDlgyR3RJp3L.jpg

AxUnlQ6mDlkmiLzCwVW5quDI3pwyH3fH.jpg

6H0sYIA8Jk6J7px36rA_3mueS0wnbP1P.jpg

gINYOTgNVHka-QFTeAJIPwpUzT-Qbb-x.jpg

CieFHlbYJQJ9qoyqLvbutsiWWaOasgKp.jpg

Assault Android Cactus is a fantastic twin-stick shooter that originally released in 2015. While it has appeared on PS4, Xbox One, and PC already, this will be the first portable version. It will include a Campaign+ mode with remixed stages.

A lot of you may be familiar with the developer, as he has been active in our community for years. Paz. He's a good dude, so hopefully he pops in this thread so we can get some more info about the port.

Despite already owning it on every other available platform, I can't resist buying this version. The character variety makes it easy to revisit, and it's one of the few games my SO will play co-op with me. We're both excited to have it on the Switch.

From the dev:

Feels good to have the AAC+ trailer out there, even if they used a whack thumbnail :P

This is pretty much the ultimate version of the game and has a bunch of new content & features, Campaign+ is a complete remix of all 25 levels, aim assist to allow single joy-con support for easy co-op (and massive boost in accessibility), a new costume for each character.

Plus literal years of refinements, improvements, and a ton of optimization to get it running slick and smooth.

Thanks for the shoutout.

In handheld and table top modes it is 720p native, in TV mode it's 900p.

In single player it's close to a 60fps lock, in multiplayer it depends on how many players and which level you're playing but I don't believe performance will be a hindrance to anyone's enjoyment, similar to how it wasn't an issue on PS4 despite not being completely locked in multiplayer either, we always target 60fps. Gameplay footage in the trailer was captured from a switch.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
It's a great game, but what's going on with these high prices for old games on Switch? I don't think it ever was so expensive on pc...

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game, but what's going on with these high prices for old games on Switch? I don't think it ever was so expensive on pc...
oof it is $5 cheaper normally on PS4 (same price at launch, at least)

that's unfortunate

From the eshop thread Paz has mentioned that a lot of new content and work has gone in to the game including accessibility options and making the game work with a single joycon. Updated and new stages etc.

This isn't a simple port, but a + version of the game.

He also said the 25% discount is there to lessen the blow initially.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Like everyone has said, it's a great game and well worth the price. The combo system is easy to get into but rewards mastery, the powerups are fun, and there's so many different characters to unlock that you're bound to find a playstyle that you dig.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Feels good to have the AAC+ trailer out there, even if they used a whack thumbnail :P

This is pretty much the ultimate version of the game and has a bunch of new content & features, Campaign+ is a complete remix of all 25 levels, aim assist to allow single joy-con support for easy co-op (and massive boost in accessibility), a new costume for each character.

Plus literal years of refinements, improvements, and a ton of optimization to get it running slick and smooth.

Thanks for the shoutout.

This should go in the OP

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the eshop thread Paz has mentioned that a lot of new content and work has gone in to the game including accessibility options and making the game work with a single joycon. Updated and new stages etc.

oh wow, sounds like the remixed campaign is going to be pretty substantial

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Follow that link a few posts down he comments on framerate that it is near 60fps locked. Sounds like they are close.
Nice, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to add that post as well.

Native res in handheld sounds fantastic. I do hope it stays close to the 60 fps target. I can deal with graphical sacrifices on Switch ports, but it's really hard for me to get past a dodgy framerate.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Oh I see. In that case, $15 seems a correct price. Great to see that the dev puts so much love in the Switch version.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome game. Played it on PC. I remember the final boss being super hard. But the overall flow of the game is damn fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hell yeah, this game is so good y'all. Buy buy buy!
Wouldn't it be nice if we got a second eranian-developed Switch game in March? That would be so cool. Who would put out a game, though? What other indie dev who also posts on Era has a Switch port cooking up with no announced release date? Surely there's something else that can be served up soon.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
This game is amazing. Double dip on Switch, hands down.

I have been playing this last week Nex Machina and I was thinking, "I really miss a good twin stick shooter on Switch", and here we are.

Perfect timing.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for the kind words <3

Looks like most of the questions in the thread have been answered already but if people have any others I'm happy to provide more info.

This really is the ultimate version of Cactus!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Cool.
I didn't get super into chasing scores on the PS4 version, but I enjoyed my time with the main story.
The cheats were fun, too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game is amazing. Double dip on Switch, hands down.

I have been playing this last week Nex Machina and I was thinking, "I really miss a good twin stick shooter on Switch", and here we are.

Perfect timing.
Not that this should dissuade you from picking up AAC+, but if you're looking for more twin-stick goodness on the Switch I'd suggest checking out 10tons games on the eshop. Neon Chrome is currently on sale for $6.74. They also put Tesla vs Lovecraft, Jydge, and Crimsonland on the Switch. All solid twin-stick shooters, IMO. Neon Chrome is my least favorite of the batch, but at that price I'd say it's worth checking out.

Games great. Coral is best android.

I'm a Starch guy, with Lemon as my second choice. My SO played Holly, since she doesn't have much experience in the genre and needed the homing bullets. I'm crazy excited for the aim assist mode here. She had to drop out after a while due to the difficulty, and it really bummed her out. Now I'm hoping she can tough it out.

Last edited:

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
all but one. do you have plans to incorporate Campaign+ in other versions?

We're looking in to the logistics of that, it's more likely for pc than other consoles, but for now we're focused entirely on the switch release to ensure it's as good as it can be.

It's a fairly significant rebuild of the game in some ways, in terms of both tech and content.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
Not that this should dissuade you from picking up AAC+, but if you're looking for more twin-stick goodness on the Switch I'd suggest checking out 10tons games on the eshop. Neon Chrome is currently on sale for $6.74. They also put Tesla vs Lovecraft, Jydge, and Crimsonland on the Switch. All solid twin-stick shooters, IMO. Neon Chrome is my least favorite of the batch, but at that price I'd say it's worth checking out.

I'm a Starch guy, with Lemon as my second choice. My SO played Holly, since she doesn't have much experience in the genre and needed the homing bullets. I'm crazy excited for the aim assist mode here. She had to drop out after a while due to the difficulty, and it really bummed her out. Now I'm hoping she can tough it out.

Thank you mate. I'll take a look on those!

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Coral Boyz Represent. I have the original on Steam already, so I'll likely stick to that. Remixed levels sound cool though!

Thanks for the kind words <3

Looks like most of the questions in the thread have been answered already but if people have any others I'm happy to provide more info.

This really is the ultimate version of Cactus!

Is there going to be a sequel ever ever??

Last edited:

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Coral Boyz Represent

Is there going to be a sequel ever ever??

Been working on the paper design for a few years now and I think we've come up with something special, but it's not in active development. The current timeline is "before I die but not right now", it's hard to commit the resources that would be needed to do this game again when it's so niche to be honest (we basically destroyed ourselves physically and mentally to do aac with what we had the first time).

We have some other smaller scoped projects in development.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when all the idiotic memelords of the internet voted for broforce over this wonderful game as the freebie on ps+ and that port ended up being a buggy piece of shit. Good times.

This game is great btw :) Highly recommended

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Been working on the paper design for a few years now and I think we've come up with something special, but it's not in active development. The current timeline is "before I die but not right now", it's hard to commit the resources that would be needed to do this game again when it's so niche to be honest (we basically destroyed ourselves physically and mentally to do aac with what we had the first time).

We have some other smaller scoped projects in development.

Indeed, fair. Well, I look forward to what's cooking next and best wishes on this + addition rolling in some extra revenue!

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is an absolutely amazing twin stick shooter. It's so darn smooth.
Neon Chrome is currently on sale for $6.74. They also put Tesla vs Lovecraft, Jydge, and Crimsonland on the Switch. All solid twin-stick shooters, IMO. Neon Chrome is my least favorite of the batch, but at that price I'd say it's worth checking out.
The problem with Neon Chrome is that the roguelite package dilutes the shooting mechanics, and the random level generator is pretty weak. The other 10tons shooters are much better designed.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Allow me to chime in with all the other people saying how fantastic this is. A must have for Switch owners who love twin stick shooters. The new accessibility options sound like a lot of thought went into them.