• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
1MqDEvk.png

Axiom Verge was one of their free games. They all then enter the store as paid games after their two weeks is up.

Oct 26, 2017
That's what bothered me about Rami Ismail's response to Epic's practises. They are so selective, you can basically not get in if you're not already known or established.
B-but curated storefront! T-trickle down economy for everyone!
Epic position about exposure and curation always actually meant that only a given number of chosen one would have the chance to benefit from it.
None. This is an issue of curation, not quality.
And as you can see now, they can't even properly curate their store already, by rejecting critically acclaimed games like AAC.
Oh OK so this developer has not been rejected, they've been curated.

They literally haven't started the curation phase. The reply they got is a standard reply other indies are getting. Right now they have zero admission policy, the ones entering are more the exception, with individual deals for the chosen games.
Eventually they will start to curate what games enter, next year, and then we will be able to do threads like this because a some point they will reject a really good game (it's the thing with curation, it's impossible to make everyone happy). Then we can whine all we want.
But right now you can consider the Epic store like a 'beta' version, still not really open.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Do you read what I'm writing or what's the situation

I said that almost all old games on EGS are there because they were given away for free. Axiom Verge, Super Meat Boy, The Witness, Oxenfree.

The only exceptions are Annapurna games (because they are buddies), old seasons of Walking Dead (because what's the point of having only the final one) and Rollercoaster (who knows why).

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Axiom Verge was one of their free games. They all then enter the store as paid games after their two weeks is up.

...and that does nothing to refute the point the guy is claiming, that either you submit a game new on the Epic Game Store, or you give it away for free.

A) No, you don't have to give it away for free, and those that were given away for free were only temporarily free

B) If something like Axiom Verge can be sold on EGS, then AAC can be sold on EGS, which the poster is claiming wasn't possible. I.e. that AAC was rejected because it "wasn't new or free."

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I said that almost all old games on EGS are there because they were given away for free. Axiom Verge, Super Meat Boy, The Witness, Oxenfree.

The only exceptions are Annapurna games (because they are buddies), old seasons of Walking Dead (because what's the point of having only the final one) and Rollercoaster (who knows why).
I mean, they also put some of Ubisoft games not that long ago.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Assault Android Cactus is one of the very best games in its genre, IMHO.
It's also the single best-performing non-trivial Unity game I ever played. Amazing work!

Also, fuck Epic and fuck the sycophant media in particular.

Epic seem determined to be Steam 2009... in 2019.
They have a ways to go to match 2009 Steam, actually.

In 2019.

Epic will put on the games they believe will make them market share or money, all else will get told to fuck off under the guise of "curation".
Exactly.

It's completely transparent, but no one seems willing to call them out on it while the money flows.

"It's not fair if you complain about it where your voice can be heard!"
Fits well with the user review stance!

You have the right to complain, but please only do so in ineffectual ways.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
...and that does nothing to refute the point the guy is claiming, that either you submit a game new on the Epic Game Store, or you give it away for free.

A) No, you don't have to give it away for free, and those that were given away for free were only temporarily free

B) If something like Axiom Verge can be sold on EGS, then AAC can be sold on EGS, which the poster is claiming wasn't possible. I.e. that AAC was rejected because it "wasn't new or free."

I don't know what Epic's policy is with 'either you submit a game new on the Epic Game Store, or you give it away for free' but I think you're just misunderstanding what he's saying. He's saying that they're offering (to his knowledge) new games or older games they give free as part of their free games promotion. Axiom Verge isn't an argument against this because, like all of their free promotion games, it was given away free for two weeks and then enters the store as a paid game. See also Subnautica, Super Meat Boy, Slime Rancher etc. Axiom Verge is an example of 'or you give it away for free'. It's not an old game that entered the store at $19.99. It's an old that entered the store for free and then, like all other free games, is now sold.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When was Flower free on the Epic Game Store?

Oct 25, 2017
They literally haven't started the curation phase. The reply they got is a standard reply other indies are getting. Right now they have zero admission policy, the ones entering are more the exception, with individual deals for the chosen games.
Eventually they will start to curate what games enter, next year, and then we will be able to do threads like this because a some point they will reject a really good game (it's the thing with curation, it's impossible to make everyone happy). Then we can whine all we want.
But right now you can consider the Epic store like a 'beta' version, still not really open.
They are up and running, buying exclusivity, making deals with well known devs, making statements to media etc. I don't care what they're calling it internally, they are a live store.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

They've been in "beta" version for what, 3 years now ?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They started it.

Check the following link, where they allow anyone to submit their games:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/about?sessionInvalidated=true

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
That feeling when you have repeatedly compared some people reaction in EGS topics to what we were already seeing in topic like Sony position on crossplay; only to see it now also evolved into the same it's a beta excuse.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018

If they're selling games, positioning themselves as the "dev-friendly" store, and paying people not to sell their games elsewhere, I don't know what else you could call them except "open", at least to whatever degree is necessary to begin discussing their policies. And this one stinks. For all the problems with Valve's open submissions, I've never seen a curation solution that wasn't immediately subject to a given curator's subjectivity.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks for the dev, but it's enjoyable that you get to see Epic struggle with proper answers to things like that.

It's not hard to see why they're doing this (a heavily curated store, to give it a 'clean' impression to start with), but will be enjoyable to see them tackle these questions, after their own rants about Steam. Questions that Valve have been dealing with for many years.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
What the hell are Epic doing? Initially I thought they might do something risky like this but when Sweeney tweeted out a clarification a month later he specifically called out asset flip games and other minimal effort cash grabs. Took one look at the trailer for this game and the accolades they were competing for and it's totally absurd this game was denied being hosted on EGS.

You guys who called out EGS would curate content as badly as Valve did when they started might end up being right if they don't course correct immediately.

This is really dumb.

EGS wants to be the Criterion Collection of video games it seems.
If that's the case, they're doing a terrible job of it, given that Criterion has a massive range of titles that span from low-budget genre fare to medium-defining films, and they're all treated as equals in terms of their context. That the same company that put out a massive box set of Ingmar Bergman's films would be ready to release the first two Police Story films is a real credit to their taste.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Sorry but when your storefront barely can hold more than 100 games and you are mainly looking to help poor publishers like Ubisoft and Deep Silver you can't take deals like that which would benefit more the developer than the store itself.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people are completely missing the point that my twitter rant is about Epic's process and future goals being horrendous as stated now, it was a response to this twitter thread which is phenomenal https://twitter.com/retroremakes/status/1111451958777401344

My comments are absolutely not about me desperately wanting to put AAC on the EGS, it's just the only lens I can provide unique information through.
Bless you and bless Rob. And Jeff Minter while we're at it, you're all cut from the same (bearded) cloth.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This was always my concern over Epic and their take at the moment. Glad an actual developer said what I was thinking might be the case. When you have such strict curation (it could ease up later). You're getting to a point where the consumer is seeing visibility of titles because there aren't a lot of options. Which is pretty unfair in the indie space when there are devs more in need of that bigger cuts compared to these bigger indie names.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
This is a very strange excuse to make especially since EGS tried to positioned themselves as alternative Steam ever since the announcement, especially for the indie dev. Why would they enter a 'beta phase' where only the few selects can access right after that and definitely still trying to proof themselves as one? Nintendo and Sony indies initiative was accessible since the day they announced it so why the excuse for EGS now?

If they're selling games, positioning themselves as the "dev-friendly" store, and paying people not to sell their games elsewhere, I don't know what else you could call them except "open", at least to whatever degree is necessary to begin discussing their policies. And this one stinks. For all the problems with Valve's open submissions, I've never seen a curation solution that wasn't immediately subject to a given curator's subjectivity.
Thank you, you put it better than mine.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
?
I'm pissed off about the absolutely shameful arse-licking behaviour from much of the so-called PC games media over the past few months.

Breh I have seen you in the past week use that fuck the sycophant media multiple times and basically say about a dev's game going to EGS 'oh I didn't give a shit about their game but fuck them anyways'

You gotta be better than that

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
That's what bothered me about Rami Ismail's response to Epic's practises. They are so selective, you can basically not get in if you're not already known or established. Doesn't even matter if your game is good. It goes against the "indie spirit" I like so much.
The thing is that this game has been out for a while, it doesn't serve their "poach" customers strategy. Its quality is a known factor, but their acceptance is only based on furthering their own goals, not serving developers.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Breh I have seen you in the past week use that fuck the sycophant media multiple times and basically say about a dev's game going to EGS 'oh I didn't give a shit about their game but fuck them anyways'

You gotta be better than that
You are misremembering. I did say I didn't give a shit about their game (which was as true before the exclusivity agreement as after, although I might have put it differently in different circumstances), and I did say fuck Devolver, their publisher, because I expected better of them (my fault, admittedly). I didn't say fuck the developers.

I will also continue to say fuck the sycophant media as long as they continue to publish a smattering of arse-licking marketing regurgitation articles per week.
Because, frankly, that's unacceptable.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
As an aside, this game looks amazing. I somehow managed to miss it. Putting it right at the top of my PS4 wish list, especially since Housemarque have moved away from twin stick arcade shooters.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a retread of the issues Steam had years ago...which is why they changed it. Though apparently, that didn't give enough visibility to some games, either, so then we're back to this as the solution.

Oct 25, 2017
Epic store sucks but "won't accept crappy games" is logically distinct from "we will accept all non-crappy games."

Their rejection of AAC sucks but does not imply that it's a crappy game.

In other words, Epic's rule is "if game is crappy, we reject." OP seems to be implying the rule is "if we reject, game is crappy." Those are two totally different rules.
Epic is also selling the idea (that many people bought) that the EGS is looking after the little guys and it's pro dev. Because of course the publisher of Metro Exodus deciding to go to EGS without consulting the devs, buying Kickstarted projects, and rejecting well regarded indies without a track record like Supergiant, as shown here by Witch Beam, is super supporting that notion.

this is a really good thread too

Excellent.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As expected Epic curation right now = đź’°
The crappy games comment was never the full story Epic have been signing the "we accept games from small to large" since ever and we know what the current situation is to see that, that line was BS.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Assault Android Cactus is one of the very best games in its genre, IMHO.
It's also the single best-performing non-trivial Unity game I ever played. Amazing work!

Also, fuck Epic and fuck the sycophant media in particular.

Durante, speaking the truth.

Epic as a whole is doing amazing things for the videogame industry. They are giving developers great tools, often times for free, that enable them to make great content. They are even giving some tools to developers working on concurrent engine like Unity and Lumberyard. And let's not downplay or forget the fact that they are giving away millions with their mega grant, asking nothing in return.
The Store division needs a lot of work, yes. It's only the beginning, so let's hope they will progress quickly.
But as a whole, Epic is doing a lot more good than bad to the industry.

Any perceived (and I do mean perceived because with Timmy boy there is always a catch) good that Epic are doing is being completely undone by their awful practices.

Private data storing, anti-consumer practices (no third party keys, higher prices on exclusives, lack of user reviews and overall features, money hatting to force people to use their store) and also, blatant lies that have been told by Tim and co.

All of that, as far as I am concerned, outweighs any perceived good they are doing because long term their current policy is going to destroy the PC market (if successful, which it won't be because nobody other than the media and people who hate Valve want EGS to be successful in its current form.)

Also, just to add, people seem to forget all the good that Valve do for developers and the industry as well and only seem to focus on the 30% cut (which in itself isn't as simple as that when you consider it lowers with more sales and that Valve take 0% from third party sales.)

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere they claim to be in beta.
Their storefront is active and running to the public.
There are several games that entered the store without exclusivity just fine.
You can submit your game to get in the store and Sergey has already said that's the process they're going with now to get into the store.

Stop giving a shit service excuses to be shit. Steam ditched that asinine style of curation for a reason.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You are misremembering. I did say I didn't give a shit about their game (which was as true before the exclusivity agreement as after, although I might have put it differently in different circumstances), and I did say fuck Devolver, their publisher, because I expected better of them (my fault, admittedly). I didn't say fuck the developers.

I will also continue to say fuck the sycophant media as long as they continue to publish a smattering of arse-licking marketing regurgitation articles per week.
Because, frankly, that's unacceptable.

As I said yesterday, I just saw on the biggest french video game media an entire article/video with the promise that "We HAVE to support Epic Store against Steam".
Imagine the following "We HAVE to support Xbox One against PS4" or "We HAVE to support Switch against PS4". Imagine a media rooting for a company and asking their readers to do the same. I'm even thinking if such media wouldn't be flagged on ERA has being irrelevant and spouting console warring crap.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Phoenix Point approached Epic and were welcomed with open arms, arms so wide they got compensated for trashing their reputation and betraying their investors and supporters.

This has never been about increasing competition, it's been about removing competition so my game sells better. Some people that clearly didn't need the exposure are making out like bandits, Ubisoft clearly saw a sucker easily parted from his money, and the rest are left on the other side of the fence from this false promised land looking in while desperately stanning for Epic.

If the percentage or curation was really an issue might I suggest Discord? Hats might not be so large.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Dude what are you doing

Speaking the truth brother, he isn't wrong, we both know it.

?
I'm pissed off about the absolutely shameful arse-licking behaviour from much of the so-called PC games media over the past few months.

And they aren't even trying to hide it either, RPS and numerous other outlets and commentators have purposefully and wilfully ignored what Epic are doing, either because they are benefitting in monetary terms from Epic or because they are allowing their negative opinions of Steam to taint their professionalism.

It's as obvious as a slap in the face at this point, Epic are getting a free pass on anti-consumer practices from the gaming media, we can only guess at the reasons why but it is certainly happening that much is for sure.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
As I said yesterday, I just saw on the biggest french video game media an entire article/video with the promise that "We HAVE to support Epic Store against Steam".
Imagine the following "We HAVE to support Xbox One against PS4" or "We HAVE to support Switch against PS4". Imagine a media rooting for a company and asking their readers to do the same. I'm even thinking if such media wouldn't be flagged on ERA has being irrelevant and spouting console warring crap.
Crazy that Epic successfully made the gaming media much worse than the 90's when platform wars was at its peak.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
If I were them I wouldn't worry. Games don't seem to be selling on there anyway, given metros numbers.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I suspect the Money-Hatting goes beyond just paying for 'exclusives'.

Oct 25, 2017
If the percentage or curation was really an issue might I suggest Discord? Hats might not be so large.
itch.io and Humble both have better %s than EGS, but people like to pretend they don't exist and EGS is super special and unique.

Jesus.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm surprised that it's taken this long for an "Epic rejected us for a bullshit reason" story to appear, but it's an inevitably with a store as heavily curated as EGS.
Yep. This was obvious to anyone who actually plays on PC and had been paying attention to Steam's last 7 years or so. Curation is terrible for anyone who hasn't been handpicked by the platform owner, which in Epic's case is 99.9% of the devs out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.