• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Funny how this Series S talk goes from amazing deal to bad deal everyday. Like yesterday the watch dogs thread with raytracing on series s has a compete different tune haha

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Good that you say that. It's time to remind everyone again that the Xbox Series S also doesn't support Xbox One X patches for ANY back compatibility game. Which is still absolute mind boggling to me that every single BC game will only run in the piss poor OG Xbox One version. No extra graphic settings/effects, nor resolution, nor extra fps modes. Just insane.

Wow, that's crappy, considering the base Xone version run 900P most of the time. Isn't this something that can be patched though? If MS is realy heavily investing on BC and banking on the Series S, this should be fixed.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good that you say that. It's time to remind everyone again that the Xbox Series S also doesn't support Xbox One X patches for ANY back compatibility game. Which is still absolute mind boggling to me that every single BC game will only run in the piss poor OG Xbox One version. No extra graphic settings/effects, nor resolution, nor extra fps modes. Just insane.
It's not insane but a technical limitation. You need to have code changes for many of the improvements, how could that be different?
The thing is that many games for xbox one were not made with scalability in mind, so no unlocked frame rate options or drs, at least not in many games.
I also don't think that on this forum you have to remind anyone of that limitation, it's brought up often. Can't wait for tomorrow, got my delivery notification!

NuKER

Dec 15, 2017
Portugal
People need to assimilate that series S is the affordable next gen entry system, that runs the new games at lower settings and also the Bc games at lower settings too.
It's like an entry level GPU vs the High end Gpus, running the same games at lower settings.
A console targeted for FHD screens, with some games reaching 1440p.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
30FPS is really a letdown for a crossgen game, I guess most people overestimated what this console could do.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's not insane but a technical limitation. You need to have code changes for many of the improvements, how could that be different?
The thing is that many games for xbox one were not made with scalability in mind, so no unlocked frame rate options or drs, at least not in many games.

I mean, we're still talking about the successor of the Xbox One X, you make it sound like I'm talking about a cheaper version of the last gen console or something like this.
How would you seriously not expect to have this working on the next better hardware, specially when Xbox since One X and now with the Series line, is designed to be like a better version of the last one. That's the whole approach of the Series idea.

Imagine buying a new PC with new motherboard and graphic cards everything slightly improved from what you had before and then getting similar limitations on stuff that worked before. It doesn't make sense.

Also, Xbox One X patches work absolutely fine on Series X, no limitation here.
And if you stick to your technical limitation argument and the bad scalability, maybe the Series S wasn't a good idea after all. 🤷‍♂️
And yes, it's still insane to me cause even if it makes sense if you break it down because of pure technicality, it's definitely not what you expect as customer from the successor console.

I also don't think that on this forum you have to remind anyone of that limitation, it's brought up often. Can't wait for tomorrow, got my delivery notification!

Well, the posting right above you shows otherwise
;)

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, we're still talking about the successor of the Xbox One X, you make it sound like I'm talking about a cheaper version of the last gen console or something like this.
How would you seriously not expect to have this working on the next better hardware, specially when Xbox since One X and now with the Series line, is designed to be like a better version of the last one. That's the whole approach of the Series idea.

Imagine buying a new PC with new motherboard and graphic cards everything slightly improved from what you had before and then getting similar limitations on stuff that worked before. It doesn't make sense.

And if you stick to your technical limitation argument and the bad scalability, maybe the Series S wasn't a good idea after all. 🤷‍♂️
And yes, it's still insane to me cause even if it makes sense if you break it down because of pure technicality, it's definitely not what you expect as customer from the successor console.

;)
The Xbox Series S is the successor of the Xbox One S.
The Xbox One X patches cannot work on Xbox Series S and I think it's useless to discuss again why it can't because that's been explained many times before.
I think you made your opinion clear about that console in many posts and threads before as did I so I think we can agree to have different opinions and neither will I cancel my pre-order which will arrive tomorrow nor will you buy the console ☺️

Oct 28, 2017

;)
The Series S is targeting 1440p so it has less RAM than One X. That was a design decision by Microsoft and they have been pretty clear about it.

There's no current gen game on One X that has raytracing in any form, so saying the Series S is not better than the One X because it can't run the One X enhanced versions is just nonsense.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
The Series S is targeting 1440p so it has less RAM than One X. That was a design decision by Microsoft and they have been pretty clear about it.

There's no current gen game on One X that has raytracing in any form, so saying the Series S is not better than the One X because it can't run the One X enhanced versions is just nonsense.

The poster is talking specifically about BC games on The Series S that run on "base Xbox BC" ( So 900-1080P) instead of the patched One X (1440-2180P) versions. The result is, that at least when you play BC games, you are better off with the One X ( Except for load times of course ). Of course, when more next gen games start hitting, this will be a non issue.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
so I think we can agree to have different opinions and neither will I cancel my pre-order which will arrive tomorrow nor will you buy the console ☺

Yes I agree, and that wasn't my intention, have fun with it. 👍
Just wanted to point out this kind of limitation again after speaking about graphical settings here cause I personally think this one will surprise quite a few people in the future when they fire up some good old BC games (which, let's be honest, will still be a huge part in the next months, specially because of game pass and the lack of new NG exclusives).

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
You what love?

How does it not bode well for the future?

Valhalla being 1440p/30fps on the Series S means that 'porting' to the Series S takes more fine tuning than a drop in resolution and texture detail.

Without resolution or framerate parity being expected or easily achieved it runs the risk of getting the 'last gen port' treatment as games get more ambitious (1440p/60 -> ~1080p/30 for instance). The Xbox One S ended up in that place.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
One of the best gaming experiences early last gen was Black Flag on ps4, am I crazy to not expect this game to run at 1080/60 on the Series S? 1440P is not a thing for the average consumer, especially those like myself buying the discount console, 1080/60 should be doable and targetted for the best experience for the most users on this cross-gen game.

I think Xbox Series S will be a huge disappointment in the long run.
I wouldn't be shocked, I'm buying it as a short term solution until mid-gen when the proper MS games start to drop. But it shouldn't be this kind of disappointment day one.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
One of the best gaming experiences early last gen was Black Flag on ps4, am I crazy to not expect this game to run at 1080/60 on the Series S? 1440P is not a thing for the average consumer, especially those like myself buying the discount console, 1080/60 should be doable and targetted for the best experience for the most users on this cross-gen game.

I wouldn't be shocked, I'm buying it as a short term solution until mid-gen when the proper MS games start to drop. But it shouldn't be this kind of disappointment day one.
Like you said yourself. This seems more a design decision then a console thing. So far we have almost all games being the same between Series X and S. Just at lower res etc. We even saw yesterday 1080p/30 with raytracing on it. And before that ori with it being 4k60 and even having a 120fps mode.
This game being 4k/60 on series X should be 1080p/60. It being 1440p/30 seems a weird choice and then doesnt make it special or only next gen can do compared to the One X version wich is 4k/30. Offcourse probably with lower settings but still.

Hope they just add a 1080p/60 option atleast.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I agree, and that wasn't my intention, have fun with it. 👍
Just wanted to point out this kind of limitation again after speaking about graphical settings here cause I personally think this one will surprise quite a few people in the future when they fire up some good old BC games (which, let's be honest, will still be a huge part in the next months, specially because of game pass and the lack of new NG exclusives).
Good thing is I'll play some X enhanced 360 games which I can play at 1440p on my new console at least.
Also I think we should not exclude all other enhancements to One games like faster loading, vsync, 16x AF and stable/locked fps.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I thought the S was a 1080p console? Sounds like devs are already trying to up resolution at the expense of performance when it's not necessarily what the console was built for? Or am I talking out of my arse?

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the S was a 1080p console? Sounds like devs are already trying to up resolution at the expense of performance when it's not necessarily what the console was built for? Or am I talking out of my arse?

Its definitely disappointing 1080/60 isn't an option but it seems to be confined to the two Ubisoft games so far? Hopefully it doesn't become a trend.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

I don't think you are talking out of your arse, myself and others I know are buying this over an X because we only have 1080p TVs. If we had higher, we'd get the X. So to not see 1080p modes is a little disappointing for sure.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh that's very bad, the series s should have the same performance targets as the series x.
Now it's not just a grafical difference, which was the while idea behind the series s

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
1440p/30 is about to be expected from such console. For those who want a toggle between 1080p 60 and 1440p 30, the difference between 1080p and 1440p is surpirisngly very small, even though 1440p is about 77% more pixels. Achieving 60 fps on 1080p takes more power, than achieving 1440p 30, there is no guarantee Valhalla would run at 1080p 60 on Series S, this seems to be the performance cap of the system.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Isn't it marketed as a 1440p Console?

I think we can deal with 1080/60 if possible though.

Juzzomac

Oct 27, 2017
More disappointed in Ubisoft rather than the console here. 1080/60 is a much better gaming experience than 1440/30 imo.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
More disappointed in Ubisoft rather than the console here. 1080/60 is a much better gaming experience than 1440/30 imo.

I agree. I can't wrap my head around it. Perhaps they just didn't have the time or the resources to do it with the pandemic situation, but it would be nice if they rectified that later down the line. The isn't a system problem. I've seen plenty of evidence that indicate the opposite. I'm sure MS is disappointed given their promotional tie in with this game.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm still in denial! lol I'll only accept it tomorrow. If it isn't 60fps, I'll wait for a sale or a patch. I'd rather play the Xbox One S version with framerate unlocked. It would for sure hit 60fps.

But yeah, this isn't a problem with the console. Ubi's releasing the game in 9 platforms, maybe they didn't had the time to optimize it. I really hope we get a patch in a month or two.

kenziko

Nov 6, 2017
London
As someone who bought an S because I only have a 1080p display, targeting 1440p with a reduced frame rate is baffling to me. If 60fps/1080 is possible Ubisoft would be crazy not to offer it as an option. Fingers crossed for a patch.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who bought an S because I only have a 1080p display, targeting 1440p with a reduced frame rate is baffling to me. If 60fps/1080 is possible Ubisoft would be crazy not to offer it as an option. Fingers crossed for a patch.
The difference between S and X was never going to be just the resolution though. Frame-rates and graphical settings will also be lower in XBS by simple virtue of it being a much more budget console. This is why I think the X is a better deal even if you game at 1080p.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I would prefer Full HD or even 900p/60 fps to this any day.

I hope this doesnt become the norm.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
1440p is still an amazing deal for how cheap this console is. It's only baffling that they didn't chose to add a 1080p60 performance mode, but for 1080p displays the 1440p render resolution will look next gen anyway

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
1440p is still an amazing deal for how cheap this console is. It's only baffling that they didn't chose to add a 1080p60 performance mode, but for 1080p displays the 1440p render resolution will look next gen anyway
Seeing the resolution on One x hovering between 1700p and 1200p. If the Series S run alot of times close to 1440p and then downscaled to 1080p. It can look pretty good. Probably some extra or better visual settings also. But still wanna see a 60fps mode.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ubi is being cheap here, I suspect they want only higher resolutions than performance. Still, if those 30fps are locked or highly stable is still an amazing deal, because we are talking about 1440p at fucking 300 dollars.

Last edited:

henriquezero

May 14, 2020
What people are talking here... I mean the PS4 has 1.8TF and shitty CPU and we've see mostly games on 1080p and 30FPS.
The Series S have 4TF and a way better CPU Its double the PS4 in GPU and CPU. I can see this thing running EVERY game off the next generation on atleast two modes:
1080p 60FPS without RT and graphics tweaks
1440p 30FPS with RT and minor graphics tweaks from PS5 and XSX

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
1440p is good but 30 FPS seems like a letdown.

S will be the only 'next-gen' console running the game at 30 FPS.

Should have gone for a dynamic 1440p, or static 1080p if that allowed 60 FPS so there's more parity with the Series X version.

Please remember that most people buying the S won't even know what a frame is.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe ubi is going to patch later for a 60fps mode maybe they didnt have too much time to work with the series s

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It will likely be GPU limitations for 1080p/60 because the engine scales framerate badly. On PCs with very powerful cards the framerate also doesn't go high. It's an engine problem.
I'd say they should offer a lower graphics settings for 1080p/60 even if it looks ugly because the amount of optimization needed isn't justified by the current install base of the Series S. That being said, I'd play this particular game probably at 1440p/30 because AC's combat isn't precise and fast paced enough that I'd need 60.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Not a good sign we're failing to get framerate parity before X or S have even released.

The central pitch of S was supposed to be feature parity at lower fidelity - i.e., it's supposed to be the same overall experience. The hardware support is theoretically more than sufficient, too - essentially the same CPU and a lower-powered but feature-complete little brother to Series X's GPU. Given this, I find this news surprising and disappointing.

It seems to have mostly the same asset quality and high res textures though. Frame rate isn't the only feature. It seems they chose that asset quality was more in important in this case that most people paying the S won't be caring about frame rates or have 4K TV's anyway.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The difference between S and X was never going to be just the resolution though. Frame-rates and graphical settings will also be lower in XBS by simple virtue of it being a much more budget console. This is why I think the X is a better deal even if you game at 1080p.

I think that this also depends on design choices and it's not something by default. Targeting 1080p or 1440p at the very same graphical settings of a Series X/PS5 demands much less resources.

We really, really can't know how the Series S will age having this as perspective. There's no denial that both PS5 and Series X are absolute beasts, but they needed to be these beasts in order to deliver 4K, 60/120fps at such high graphical fidelity. The Series S has a much lower target and it all depends on the design choice, budget and time the devs are given to optimize for it.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
144030 is very good, but there should be a 60fps option.

I hope that there's one more update to enable it if indeed right now there's no such option.