• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
A fraction or not. They were a much better representation of the next gen. Games like AC Unity, The Order, Driveclub, Sunset Overdrive, Infamous Second Son, Forza Horizon 2 came just one year afterwards and truly manage to be high graphical standards, and AC4 Black Flag was just a upscalled version of a Ps3/360 game.

Valhalla will follow the trend.
Black Flag was also released during the yearly cycle of AC games, which ill equipped them to properly iterate on systems or visuals and eventually led to the trainwreck that was Unity.

Origins was the first AC game since AC2 to have been developed with a years' break since the prior game, and it was a huge leap forward visually (lighting and textures in particular), as well as having a solid framerate, a much bigger and more varied world than ever before, and a more complex animation system.

I think Valhalla will be much more representative of next gen potential than Black Flag was, and that the difference between the two versions will likely be pretty pronounced.

Also, diminishing returns are likely to be a much bigger deal this time around, meaning the difference between "true exclusives" is probably not going to be as big as some people think.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did peeps forget how old and all patched up their engine is for AC ? They need to ditch it for some new shit, or maybe Snowdrop it looks pretty scalable.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
another video went up today on DF where alex and john almost lay waste to the claim that 4k, 60fps, and RT, will all be possible together on next gen consoles

and admittedly, listening to those two over the years talk this talk, they've built up enough points for me to trust their opinions

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
another video went up today on DF where alex and john almost lay waste to the claim that 4k, 60fps, and RT, will all be possible together on next gen consoles

and admittedly, listening to those two over the years talk this talk, they've built up enough points for me to trust their opinions
Which video?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What is relevance to the topic at hand though? AC:V doesn't have RT on XSX.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Seems a bit disappointing tbh, but maybe if it's cross gen that might the cause? Not being able to fully use next gen console capabilities.

Instead of being two games, each coded the different hardware available, i hear that most cross gen games will be current gen ones, with a patch to improve, but nothing out of ordinary

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
FWIW my 2080 and i9-9900k is 95% GPU limited at 1080p, my CPU cores are 35-40%.

The CPU utilization is a little dishonest, it shows as 50% through gamebar, but if you actually look at it per core, half the cores are at 100% and the others are not being used. The engine does not share workload well and only uses a couple of cores. You might want to peak at your core utilization. Also 95% at 1080p is insane there is no way a 10tf card should be at 95% at 1080p unless you have everything at ultra but even then that seems high.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
These current Assassin's Creed games are rough even on PC. 40% of the performance is probably stuck in big fluffy Volumetric Clouds.

Oct 29, 2017
A little off topic but I wonder how much the average consumer cares about resolution and frame rate. Will 4K 30 be a disappointment for them like it seems to be for so many in this thread?
Nobody will give a shit. People care about things you can actually show, which are graphics. You can't sell 60fps to an average consumer with a trailer.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Is reality beginning to finally dawn on people? You won't see a majority of titles at 60+fps because outside of certain genres (and series), that is far lower on the priority list than graphical effects and other things for most AAA studios. Not to mention the bizarrely high number of people who hate high framerates in media. Don't forget, these companies are chasing mainstream audiences, not enthusiast gamers, and mainstream audiences are impressed far more by pretty graphics than framerates.

And if you're expecting good RT to go along with that, then you really need to sit down. NVIDIA's top cards often struggle with RT and 4K and their ray tracing solution (and general graphical performance) is SIGNFICANTLY better than what AMD are working on.

If you want to run all AAA+ games at 60+fps, get the chequebook out and shell out for a top range PC, that's as true for next gen as it always has been.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Please give me crossplay then with PC and the consoles. I just want to play co-op games like Red Dead Online or FO76 with my family and friends, but I refuse to play at 30 fps.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Geez if they can't even get a cross-gen title to do 4k/60fps then that's just a terrible sign for next-gen :/

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The CPU utilization is a little dishonest, it shows as 50% through gamebar, but if you actually look at it per core, half the cores are at 100% and the others are not being used. The engine does not share workload well and only uses a couple of cores. You might want to peak at your core utilization. Also 95% at 1080p is insane there is no way a 10tf card should be at 95% at 1080p unless you have everything at ultra but even then that seems high.

I'm basing this off RTSS reported cores. None of my cores are even hitting 100%. I see a core sometimes at 75%... I didn't know it was so '''''poorly'''' multithreaded. But yeah 95% at 1080p but it is ultra and I am on variable refresh rate...

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I assume it will run on Origin and Odyssey game engine. both of them require insane CPU to hit 60 FPS. It feels like the engine is jut not designed for high performance in mind. it might explain why the it's difficult to hit the 60 FPS target. Another important aspect is the resolution target. They might be targeting 4k native which is problematic. While next gen consoles are powerful, they are not powerful enough to handle 4k with ease. Even the RTX 2080 ti struggles to hit that framerate at 4K.

Dec 26, 2019
Origin and Odyssey run fine at 30FPS on 1.6Ghz Jaguar cores on consoles. 60 FPS on a >3Ghz Zen 2 machine would be trivial for the same code. The games likely run bad on PC because they are still using DX11 there.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
But what about those 120fps?

People never learn, this kind of behavior is not Microsoft's exclusivity. Every tech focused company does. Everyone. What amazes me is that people keep believing their crap.

I said before: graphics sell, gps don't. So as long as this keep happening, 30fps will keep being the focus of this kind of game.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
home consoles will run your new games at 30fps until the day profits show that 30 fps is the unplayable mess some of yall call it

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think the real question is if they've confirmed what specs are needed to get 4k60fps on PC. Which they won't. So.. too early to know. I will hold out hope for a 1080/60. But large (isn't AC:V smaller...?) open world games were always going to be the failure point.

home consoles will run your new games at 30fps until the day profits show that 30 fps is the unplayable mess some of yall call it
lol exactly. convince the people who keep buying these games that 30fps is unplayable, and then devs will change. Until then, it's a vocal minority speaking for a majority that, as of now, doesn't share their concerns. But we're shifting. And there are at least separate latency improvements and stuff, so at least 30fps will play better than in this gen.

Joo

May 25, 2018
This is one's a good read and reminder why 60fps just probably isn't happening for most games regardless of next-gen. Maybe as an option with lower res at most.
www.eurogamer.net

Insomniac: 60FPS no more

Insomniac Games is "probably" going to turn its back on its long-standing commitment to 60FPS gameplay for its Ratchet …

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
This was to be expected honestly. The average consumer is going to continue to want better graphics. And increased visual fidelity/eye candy is more marketable than 60 fps. I do believe that more will be 60, but there will still be plenty at 30. I'd certainly like to be wrong on that.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm basing this off RTSS reported cores. None of my cores are even hitting 100%. I see a core sometimes at 75%... I didn't know it was so '''''poorly'''' multithreaded. But yeah 95% at 1080p but it is ultra and I am on variable refresh rate...
Oh well VRR makes a lot more sense since you are getting every frame available. There are a lot of complaints about how poorly the game is designed around CPU workload and texture streaming.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
This is pathetic. Odyssey already runs at 4K30 on X1X, there's no excuses for not hitting 4K60 unless they are using some form of Ray Tracing.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Origin and Odyssey run fine at 30FPS on 1.6Ghz Jaguar cores on consoles. 60 FPS on a >3Ghz Zen 2 machine would be trivial for the same code. The games likely run bad on PC because they are still using DX11 there.

You might have a point if resolution and settings were staying the same and the game was exactly as performance-intensive as Odyssey/Origin. However, I'm sure it'll be native 4k instead of dynamic and the settings will be the equivalent of high-ultra on PC instead of medium-high. At 4k the CPU is not going to be what's holding back performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.