• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2018
And Because they didn't have time to give them these next-gen bells and whistles, should't they be expected to at least run at a higher frame-rate?

Unless you consider the framerate to BE a core part of those bells and whistles. But I'm not sure if that makes sense.

I'm not sure either you or I know enough about game development to know what is needed to make 60 FPS happen. The game has likely been in development for years on current gen dev kits, so I'm not surprised to see that hamstringing the next gen versions.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
People being smug about it and basking in their imaginary glory with "haha your 60FPS dream is dead" comments make me sick.
You say that as though these consoles aren't better then 90% of pc gamers PCs. I'm all for the pc platform but let's not pretend the people wanting consoles to do 60 are crazy.

Edit: quoted wrong person lol my bad

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easiest way to take advantage of new CPU + GPU on cross-gen titles should be increased framerate.

So my guess is they don't have the budgeted time to do the easiest optimization for next gen, or don't care about framerate at all.
Maybe.. they dont want to set us up for disappointment.
If they make this 60fps... and every other exclusive next gen AC is 30fps anyway, people would say " man, wish Ubi made this 60 and dumbed down the graphics to do it." they know only a small minority care about 30/60 fps, most just want the prettiest game at a stable 30.

But, who knows?

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
The CPU is >4x previous gens. I am not sure what troubles Ubisoft can possibly have.

If the is 4k 30fps it means half the CPU power is used on next-gen consoles.
Problem is the amount of pixels on screen. Running any new game at 4K/60 is incredibly taxing and requires a monster GPU, let alone the recent AC games which require the absolute top of the line to reach such performance. I bet they could pull it off tuning settings down, but they might not want to do that.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Maybe.. they dont want to set us up for disappointment.
If they make this 60fps... and every other exclusive next gen AC is 30fps anyway, people would say " man, wish Ubi made this 60 and dumbed down the graphics to do it." they know only a small minority care about 30/60 fps, most just want the prettiest game at a stable 30.

But, who knows?

Hmm, maybe they don't want to set expectations that all future AC are going to be 60 fps titles.

I can see that.

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Playing games at sub 60 fps is just insanity to me. I can't do it anymore so this is definitely disappointing. I guess I'm sticking with my PC.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I gotta laugh at these 60 fps standard people. A console doesn't inherently push out 60 frames. It's all up to the devs on how they wish to utilize the resources they are given. If they push visuals, you will get less frames. If they are conservative on the visuals, you will get more frames. Simple as that.

That being said, not having a subpar notebook cpu that makes games CPU-bound more often than not will definitely help with the framerate on average.

I don't laugh at that, since the hardware is apparently there. But I do laugh at people who seem to actually believe that Microsoft (or Sony) for that matter are going to mandate that 60 fps is going to be some standard for their console. Like, yeah, those companies are going to say, 'Sorry, Ubisoft, you can't release your long running multi-million selling Assassin's Creed title on our system. You aren't targeting 60 fps.' Some people just don't have a grip on reality

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Odyssey just barely makes 4k/60 on a 2080ti so I'm not too surprised. 4k is tough to hit at 60 fps in general and these consoles aren't going to be over 500 bucks. I'm not sure what people expect here lol. Also, a lot of times companies just push visuals as hard as they can instead of worrying about frame rates since its more obvious to many users. I wish it was different, but that's also why I have a PC with my consoles just in case I want that kind of experience. When RT starts showing up, expect lower resolution and 30 fps on some of this stuff if its full RT unless AMD has a much better implementation than NVIDIA.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The point after I played 4K/30 and many 4K/60 games on my current-gen Xbox One X. Did you forget it exists?
People from next-gen usually expect improvements.

And why are you acting like XSX will run the exact same version of the game as the X1X? Next-gen will have improvements in graphics and other visual features.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they can hit 4k30 with headroom for Ultra textures and added effects, thats fine. If the Series X version is just a slightly higher res version of the One X and Pro versions, people will be rightly pissed.

I guess we need to see it in motion first.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Odyssey just barely makes 4k/60 on a 2080ti so I'm not too surprised. 4k is tough to hit at 60 fps in general and these consoles aren't going to be over 500 bucks. I'm not sure what people expect here lol. Also, a lot of times companies just push visuals as hard as they can instead of worrying about frame rates since its more obvious to many users. I wish it was different, but that's also why I have a PC with my consoles just in case I want that kind of experience. When RT starts showing up, expect lower resolution and 30 fps on some of this stuff if its full RT unless AMD has a much better implementation than NVIDIA.
Odyssey does nowhere near 4K/60 with settings maxed out on a 2080ti, at least not without a ridiculous 5 Ghz CPU

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked!

could see it from a mile away. 4K is still super demanding and this is not even an RT game.

I keep saying this, but people; keep them exceptions in check.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather take a locked 30 vs what we got last gen with Unity. Also higher frame rates don't sell games

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Would you folks accept 1080p if it meant 60fps and all the bells and whistles minus raytracing?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
The point after I played 4K/30 and many 4K/60 games on my current-gen Xbox One X. Did you forget it exists?
People from next-gen usually expect improvements.

It's definitely possible. It would have to be a lower setting. As many have said, 4k/60FPS with the settings on Ultra won't happen on these new consoles.

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
Considering we have games that need a 2080 Super/Ti with a Zen/+/2 or newer Intel CPU at decent clockspeeds to even reach 4k60 on PC, (While looking significantly better than on PS4/Pro/Xbone/X), this should not come as a surprise. I do believe the game will way better on next gen systems though.

Oh and 4k60 WITH Raytracing isn't even possible on PC (yet), so don't expect the consoles to suddenly do 4k60+RT all of a sudden (Maybe with a lighter RT implementation starting on mid gen titles)

And no i don't think optimizing for consoles gives enough of a performance advantage. Console OSes on Sony and MS consoles are kinda large entities too since the (still) current gen and it don't think they'll trim that down.

I also believe the mid gen refreshes really damp the impact of next gen quite a bit...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Cross generation games folks, across multiple systems to boot, have to keep your expeditions in check. Look towards console exclusives and 1st party titles to have 4k and 60 fps.
That it's cross-gen is exactly why this is so disappointing. Ideally you'd see:
- 1080/30 on base PS4/X1
- 4K/30 on PS4 pro/X1X (and even more ideally, give an option for 1080/60)
- 4k/60 on new-gen consoles

But nah, guess not. :\

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Are you seriously implying that Ubisoft of all developers, who consistently put out some of the most visually and technically impressive games in the industry, with 1000+ people working on each game, lacks the technical expertise needed to get the game to 60 fps?
Uhh didn't say that though?! More likely that publishers don't see the value into putting the effort since the userbase is gonna be mostly on current gen.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Native 4K seems like a waste of resources. DLSS style 4K or checkerboarding would be better. I hope there is a performance mode. 30FPS is probably with a bigger render distance and tons of environmental details. Let's wait and see.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Ubisoft is just doing lazy work. Game can run at 4k/60fps on new-gen consoles. Like, come on.

Edit : my bad for using the word "lazy". Actually, I think it's a matter of time.

Last edited:

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
HappygoluckyEnlightenedAmericancreamdraft-size_restricted.gif

xem

Oct 31, 2017
4K/60fps was DOA for Assassin's Creed, when not even the GTX 2080ti paired with the best gaming CPU can hit 60fps at Ultra preset.
why is this even an argument? no reasonable person here is saying that. we simply want a performance mode w/ lower res/settings to hit 60. The game logic is already written for a Jag cpu, there is literally no excuse. It will be utter crap if i can run this game at 60 with lower settings on my (inferior specd PC and they dont give us a similar option on a more powerful system (xbox series x)

Status
Not open for further replies.