• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

This seems to be the reason why the screen-tearing is so prevalent on the Series X. VRR fixes it completely. VRR enabled = the problem's gone!

Sony better start supporting it sooner, rather than later.

yeah problem solved after i fork out another 2k on a new tv i guess.
hope this shit won't be used as remedy for poor development

Last edited:

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
After playing the next gen version all day I've very quickly come to the realisation that these YouTube clips of next gen games aren't very useful. Especially when they're only 1080p like this.

Always thought the game looked a bit meh in videos. It's fucking gorgeous in the flesh on next gen. Super sharp, detailed, smooth. I've been playing a lot of Odyssey recently on the One X and it feels to me like a Black Flag PS3 to PS4 situation. And none of that really comes across on a shitty 1080p stream with YouTube compression.

Youtube is pretty much useless to judge next gen games. Even at 4k 60 fps there's still too much compression artefacts. It won't stop people from judging and shiting on games based on bad quality footage.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
So, does the tcl 6 series i just bought will be ok to do vrr (supposed to have that) it doesn't do 4k120hz though just 4k60 with vrr I think or 1440p120.
John says vrr 120hz

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're not alone, friend.

I'm sure this will get fixed in a patch. Ubisoft are usually fairly diligent with these sorts of things.

Decided to play Yakuza first and hold off on opening my copy of Valhalla for the time being. Will wait for a Digital Foundry comparison or patch. The Dirt 5 one was rapid, so hopefully AC's is fairly quick too.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Youtube is pretty much useless to judge next gen games. Even at 4k 60 fps there's still too much compression artefacts. It won't stop people from judging and shiting on games based on bad quality footage.
In no way shape or form is youtube useless to judge a next gen game or even next next next next next next gen game.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Buying a VRR supported TV to stop tearing in a game is a bit like getting a paper cut and going to the emergency room without health insurance to get a band-aid put on. This will be more impressive when it's in a $400 TCL though and it's cool that it exists.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Not judging by this compressed-ass video (but by older ones), but am I the only that thinks that ACO looks better than this one, or am I just misremembering?

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I mean, it's janky, but very few games are going to be close to TLOU2 levels, even more RPG AND Open World ones.
Yup. There's a lot of time + money + staff that go into making games like The Last of Us 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Assassin's Creed gets the staff and funding, but it's still churned out in an incredible amount of time. Best I can find is that as of April it was in development for "more than two and a half years". Assuming it's not drastically longer, that's less than four years of development time for a sprawling open world RPG while also dealing with the development shift from COVID. As far as staffing goes we don't have numbers for Valhalla yet, but if it's like the past couple there was probably around 1,000 staff members. I can't find many reports about crunch at Ubisoft, but the Odyssey managing director said that they didn't require massive crunch, and they try to avoid burning out staff. Although it's hard to trust someone in a leadership position's word on the matter, we haven't had any word of the opposite.

For comparison, development on The Last of Us 2 started shortly after the PS4 release of the original, back in Summer of 2014. The game released Summer 2020 so that's nearly six years of development. It also had over 2000 people who worked on the game. Despite the longer development and sheer number of staff working on it, crunch was still a serious issue.

We're reaching a point where some aspects are limited predominately by the amount of resources you throw at the game, and we can't go around and complain about things like crunch, delays, and massive development times and then turn around and criticize games for not comparing favorably to titles that have more resources than any other title out there.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At 60 fps is there any screen tearing or is this just at 120fps?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This seems to be the reason why the screen-tearing is so prevalent on the Series X. VRR fixes it completely. VRR enabled = the problem's gone!

Well that explains it. Everyone kept complaining about screen tearing and I had no idea what the fuck they were taking about (using a 65" C9).

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
In no way shape or form is youtube useless to judge a next gen game or even next next next next next next gen game.

I meant it is useless to judge graphics. A 4k 60fps video on YouTube is usually around 25 Mbps or less. This bitrate is low even for 1080p. So yeah, a video of a next gen game on YouTube won't be even close to what you will be getting in direct feed, and most of the details and nuances will be lost.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not judging by this compressed-ass video (but by older ones), but am I the only that thinks that ACO looks better than this one, or am I just misremembering?

You're misremembering. I've been playing a ton of Odyssey on the One X recently and Valhalla on the Series X blows it out of the water. It's massively better looking.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 has somehow more refined textures and shadows. Particularly for the bow and sword.

btHbV1K.gif

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 has somehow more refined textures and shadows. Particularly for the bow and sword.

btHbV1K.gif

Good job trying to get something out of the video.

I'm not sure that's what's happening here though. They look more different then that. It's a different dude sitting at the table. Maybe they're on different patches?

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017

VRR was definitely a HUGE factor when buying a new display for the Next Generation Console. I really hope SONY supports it soon also.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Generally I am 100% with Ser Retro Linemman, but this comment comes off more like an enshrinement of a new tech, generally reserved for mid-high to high end TVs (and yes, it is definitely a feature worth having) rather than an admonishment of why it is not ideal for Ubisoft to sell a brand new title that relies on expensive new tech that majority of pre-existing userbase (including those with 4K60/1080p120Hz sets) do not have at their disposal, to solve this innate technical issues.

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the context of the Linneman comment. Is this for 120 hz mode only? 60 fps mode is more important. If there is tearing in the 60fps mode, that is bad because the game was supposed to be dynamic 4k to hold 60 fps.

Will be years before enough gamers will have a vrr tv. Hitting 60fps locked will be important for awhile.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017

That's a very poorly designed game is you need a $2000 tv to make it look like it's not running like garbage. Devs absolutely should not rely on tv features to hide technical issues.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Some perspective - these cross gen launch titles had to meet the launch deadline in all likelihood they will end up getting patched over time. They both look great imo.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I don't really understand the context of the Linneman comment. Is this for 120 hz mode only? 60 fps mode is more important. If there is tearing in the 60fps mode, that is bad because the game was supposed to be dynamic 4k to hold 60 fps.
Most led TVs with vrr kick in as low as 48hz , oled can do vrr down to 40 I think.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Consoles have barely been able to deliver 1080p60 with any consistency...now they want to start banging on about 120hz options, 4K60, 8K (yeah right!), and VRR when barely any of the displays in people's homes can take advantage of that? They need to quit that shit and stop spending resources on features 95% of players will never be able to take advantage of. Maybe then they wouldn't have to make games cost ÂŁ70 a pop.
Screen tearing in a major AAA release on the first day with your shiny new console could well be a really bad impression. Hope it doesn't become a crutch to allow them to cut corners on optimisation.
Really, REALLY don't want to replace my TV any time soon...preferably holding out until something without OLED's weaknesses while still having the positives of it's great picture quality.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I'm sure they'll patch the screen tearing on non-VRR displays. Also, wait for DF if you need your pixel peeping fix.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Now this is getting weird. The boat on XSX version makes absolutely no waves in motion (yes here the boat is going at the same speed in both footage).

u6Y95AZ.gif

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Man for a split second I thought the little boy at the beginning was Atreus. Hard to tell in this comparison. Will need a better video.

Oct 27, 2017
Only played for 30 minutes, but not particularly impressed so far. Clean 4K and mostly smooth 60fps, but it just doesn't look that great. The faces/hair and animations really stand out IMO.