• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm curious if the performance will drop for me on the larger maps. I just got to England in the story and so far the performance has been pretty solid in Norway on my laptop with a GTX 1070 running at 1080p. I started with the Ultra Preset and bumped volumetric clouds to high and water to medium (couldn't notice much of a difference in water compared to higher presets). Kept adaptive quality off and capped the frame rate in-game to 55 for Gsync and feels really smooth.

So far this is running a lot better for me than Odyssey, where I kept getting running into some wierd frame hitching/ stuttering issue when I tried to run a framerate above 50 (even with Gysync on), so I was forced to lock that game to 30. Though from what I remember I started to notice that after leaving the starting island and went to the one of the bigger cities in that game, so possible I may run into a similar issue here again.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You should really try using MS official USB dongle instead. BT is a dumpster fire on PC - or in general really.

Yeah I used to get random framerate drops/lag in games when the Xbox controller was connected via bluetooth (knew it was the controller since the issue immediately went away when the controller was disconnected). Didn't happen every time (not sure what triggered it), but wound up getting the USB dongle for the controller and haven't had that issue since.

djinferno806

Banned
Nov 10, 2020
Is there memory leak issues that have been reported? My game runs at 60 to 80 fps with the occasional hitch but sometimes it just shits the bed into the single digits.

Yes mine was doing this too. Issue was running in borderless window makes the game shit itself after a bit of playing. Switched back to full screen and everything is buttery smooth now. Even my micro stutters basically went away.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
So has anyone ever experienced a bug where the mouse just....stops responding? it seems like I can move the cursor around over options, but it won't turn eivor. And clicking niether selects stuff or attacks.

This was with it set to mouse and keyboard for the input, and no controller plugged in, so I don't think this was a matter of that hybrid input switching bug

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
So far running great on my 3600 and 5700xt. Settings at all high except world detail and clutter at very high. Better than odyssey. Averaging mostly 70fps in 1440p. Quite surprising. Was expecting 50-60. This game is a looker to me man.. the vistas are amazing

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
The game is very sensitive to overclocking, i.e it doesn't do overclocking. 200mhz to core clock and 50mhz to memory clock and the game immediately hangs.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Special K can fix that, it has a feature called 'XInput Placeholders.'

When a wireless controller is being flaky, SK will throttle the game's hotplug code to prevent it from trying to poll disconnected controllers. There's as much as a 250 ms penalty every time a game tries to poll a wireless controller that is not connected.

Use the version of Special K here if you need this fix:

discourse.differentk.fyi

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

At the time of writing (v 0.11.0.51 // Nov 13, 2020), the official release of Special K is incompatible with this game (DRM / D3D12 / DXGI Debug issues). A pre-configured standalone release of Special K (v 0.11.1) is available for this game. Before After Install Download SK_ACV.7z...

Config isn't setup for this feature (I don't use wireless controllers), so add:

Code:
[Input.XInput]
PlaceholderMask=15

Just wanted to say thanks for this.
Everything is so much better.

Is there a similar fix for DOOM Eternal?

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Game is a F N mess on PC, SpecialK works but it's not 100%, has happen about 15 times now, go into the menu, return to game and my FPS tanks from 60 to below 15...Fix your game UBISOFT...

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game is a F N mess on PC, SpecialK works but it's not 100%, has happen about 15 times now, go into the menu, return to game and my FPS tanks from 60 to below 15...Fix your game UBISOFT...

You could try three solutions:

1.Switch either exclusively to Keyboard or Controller in the game settings.
2.Either connect your controller via USB cable or the Xbox USB Adapter, do not use Bluetooth.
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZMMuFQdH0E

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
My (latest) problem ended up being really ridiculous. Had great FPS, but it would slowly bog down.

Tried running GeForce Experience beta performance overlay, hit ALT+R....and there was the problem. Fan RPM = 0. So the 3080 was hitting 90+c and throttling massively.

Uninstalled Afterburner, installed Firestorm (the Zotac equivalent) and the card more or less shook itself out of it and now runs the fan above 70 rather than below....

djinferno806

Banned
Nov 10, 2020

Are you playing in borderless or windowed mode? I assume yes since you're using special K. Get rid of It, switch to exclusive full screen. That's what fixed the issue you're having for me.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
A 3080 runs this at around 50-60 fps at 4K Ultra. 60 fps doesn't matter as much now with VRR, since everything is still extremely smooth.

Not true. As an owner of a G-Sync monitor, I can immediately notice when the game drops to 55fps (it's pretty obvious when you move the camera). Those that have been gaming at 70fps (and more) with a G-Sync/Freesync monitor will also immediately notice it.

Kiyoshi

Apr 4, 2018
Not true. As an owner of a G-Sync monitor, I can immediately notice when the game drops to 55fps (it's pretty obvious when you move the camera). Those that have been gaming at 70fps (and more) with a G-Sync/Freesync monitor will also immediately notice it.

Yeah, this is the only game since I got my freesync monitor (gsync compatible) that I'm having to cap at 60fps due to the stuttering. But I do notice the stuttering when it drops below 60 too (on the odd occasion).

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I can't notice anything on the C9 so *shrug*.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
A 3080 runs this at around 50-60 fps at 4K Ultra. 60 fps doesn't matter as much now with VRR, since everything is still extremely smooth.
Yeah, this is the only game since I got my freesync monitor (gsync compatible) that I'm having to cap at 60fps due to the stuttering. But I do notice the stuttering when it drops below 60 too (on the odd occasion).
Adoptive AA or dynamic fps can't help the game hitting locked 60fps?

bargeparty

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played in like a week or so and now it's a stuttery mess? I don't think anything has changed. I'll have to look at some of the tips.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
Haven't played in like a week or so and now it's a stuttery mess? I don't think anything has changed. I'll have to look at some of the tips.

Give it a minute to cache. I had the same thing, but realised that I had updated drivers. After playing for 10 minutes or so the stutters mostly disappeared.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Just a niggle but "locked" 60 fps at 4k ultra for a large open world game , optimized for he new gen systems isn't an expectation I'd been having. For any game 99% frame times are most important, as there will invariably be some dips, it's just a matter of degree(speaking in general and not AC:V specifically)

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a niggle but "locked" 60 fps at 4k ultra for a large open world game , optimized for he new gen systems isn't an expectation I'd been having. For any game 99% frame times are most important, as there will invariably be some dips, it's just a matter of degree(speaking in general and not AC:V specifically)

Even the new consoles run below 4k (~1600p on average) and often reach 1440p to hold sixty fps, on settings that are equivalent to the previous generations of consoles. We don't know how those settings compare to Ultra on PC.

But I agree, VRR is getting pretty common on PC and aiming for locked sixty no longer necessary for a constantly increasing amount of people.
The game runs for me between 55-80 fps at 1440p/Ultra on an overclocked 2080Ti during gameplay, that's good enough (70 fps average in the benchmark).
The biggest problem with the game are occasional, huge spikes in frame times and while the tips in the OT help me to get rid of noticeable micro stutters and the game feels pretty smooth to play, there is still something wrong with the PC version.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The game compile shaders in the background after each driver update - or a game patch potentially. This can take some minutes or a dozen, depending on your CPU.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, with the upcoming PS5 patch, and currently, what is the PC equivalant this game is running at?

If it's doing 4K right now with 60FPS, is it as if the game is on high settings? It's a real looker and runs smooth as better on PS5 on a 4K HDR TV.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The 1.0.4 patch is out and I got a nice performance bump and could complete a bugged mystery that was stuck for me before.

1.0.2 benchmark:
OHWZHpa.jpg

1.0.4 benchmark:
XY2UsYA.jpg

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Welp my game just closed itself for no reason, never happened before the update.

Played for like 10 minutes, was in the middle of a raid, and it just closed, no error, nothing, just back to desktop for no reason. I'll see if it happens again..

Edit: Loaded my save again, crashed after 2 minutes of gameplay, this update seems to have completely screwed my game.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Yep okay this update definitely made this unplayable for me, tried 3 times, crashed 3 times after less than 5 minutes of gameplay.

Never had any crash in the 15 hours I've played before today's update.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
Too bad they don't go into specifics on what they fixed, performance-wise. Downloading update now. I'm curious whether my 3900X system now performs as well as my trusty 6700K, or whether strict single-core performance still holds it back.

The 6700K is locked at 4.4 Ghz on 8 threads, the 3900X - as you know - has 24 threads which all can push 4 <-> 4.4 Ghz, depending on load and temps.

On an otherwise identical system (SSD install, 2070 Super, Win10, 32 GB ram), I got worse performance (2-5% range) in the first settlement on my much more recent 3900X.

May 29, 2018
3080 + 9900k here

The drops and stutters are at a minimum! In Norway and England. The only big performance drop now seems to be with DOF during conversations. I can finally play the game at a mostly stable 4K60! As soon as I'm done with Demon's Souls I'll pick up where I left off.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The game still feels like a mess after this patch. I just fought a giant legendary boss in
Jotunheim
and there was no music and the audio effect from the enemy creature felt very understated as well. Here's this level 400 enemy fight which by all accounts should feel epic, and it's just this weirdly quiet fight.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
My (latest) problem ended up being really ridiculous. Had great FPS, but it would slowly bog down.

Tried running GeForce Experience beta performance overlay, hit ALT+R....and there was the problem. Fan RPM = 0. So the 3080 was hitting 90+c and throttling massively.

Uninstalled Afterburner, installed Firestorm (the Zotac equivalent) and the card more or less shook itself out of it and now runs the fan above 70 rather than below....

I think I remember that uplay and afterburner don't mix well for some reason.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Same. Lots of crashing on PC now. Only had one crash in ~50 hours before today.

I think I managed to fix my crashes by just trying random things.

I went into the game folder, right clicked on "ACValhalla.exe" then went under the "compatibility" tab and I ticked "Disable fullscreen optimizations"

I also ran the game as administrator (using ACValhalla.exe).

I've had no crashes since I've done these 2 things. 🤷‍♂️