• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Are you playing with an Xbox controller connected via Bluetooth?
If yes, connect it via USB cable and see if that helps.

Can't stress this enough.

This is another one of those games that drops frames like crazy if you're playing with a wireless Xbox controller.
I've counted at least a 15-22fps difference switching from wireless to wired.

Coincidentally using the Sony Wireless adapter with the DS4 shows zero drop in frames.
I have five Xbox controllers and they all drop frames.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
So this shader cache thing is like in Horizon Zero Dawn ? I mean can you just sit tight in one stop and wait with msi afterburner running and check whenever the cpu spike goes down ?

Why is this a thing?

They should just make it part of the initial game load, like other games do. I'd rather wait there for whatever long it takes (it's usually a while like 5 minutes though :( ) than have stuttering in my game.

It would be cool to have this automatically happen in the background after a game is first installed or after a driver update.

Hell, doesn't the compiled result only depend on driver + GPU? couldn't that shit be precompiled in VR's and just donwloaded? the resulting output is tiny. You just need a repository of latest 3-4 versions of the driver + the latest 10 or so GPU's and you'd be saving a ton of time/stutter for the majority of your userbase.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, doesn't the compiled result only depend on driver + GPU? couldn't that shit be precompiled in VR's and just donwloaded? the resulting output is tiny.

That's what Steam does with its Shader Pre-Caching feature.

For some weird reason Ubisoft don't like to support Steam features though.

(That said, there are reasons to not do all shader compilation up-front)

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Same. It is pretty disappointing though that the adaptive AA quality setting is so non-aggressive on all platforms. And also annoying that it bottoms out so easily at a minimum resolution. It makes it very... not useful at times given the game's greatly varied load.

R6 Siege has a slider to set TAA scaling from %50 to %100. Not sure why other Anvil engine games don't offer such options

Siege also offers TAAx2 and TAAx4. How viable is supersampling with TAA?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
What reasons are those? Programmer here, but not a games/graphics programmer, so curious.

I mean it's a different 'bad' experience when you pay with a long "load" up-front for things that may not end up being used in that session.

I like the Pre-Cache solution, but I wish there was an option to only download them when I actually run the game.

(EDIT: Also it's only supported by Vulkan/OpenGL titles for now, so that's another reason it won't help here.)

Last edited:

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I mean it's a different 'bad' experience when you pay with a long "load" up-front for things that may not end up being used in that session.

I like the Pre-Cache solution, but I wish there was an option to only download them when I actually run the game.

Ahh, ok, I see. You might not need a specific shader until say level 20, so why compile it now at level 1.

Still, I would prefer to do it atleast on a "this level requires it so compile it now" than requiring a stutter. I wonder if there's even a better way, like streaming them in asynchronously and applying them on the fly as they compile. Hopefully without an ugly stutter, but with a temporary surface that doesn't get proper shading for a few frames.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, ok, I see. You might not need a specific shader until say level 20, so why compile it now at level 1.

There can also be associated (pipeline) state needed in the compile that is not known until runtime, or is annoying to try and figure out before runtime (e.g something derived from user settings). Then you're also getting into the whole "You changed something, please restart the game because we couldn't be bothered to handle reallocating resources" mess.

In the best of all possible worlds shader compile stuttering shouldn't be a thing, but I can sort of forgive it for the time being.

If everyone just used Vulkan /w Steam Pre-caching we'd be good. Just sayin' :-p

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Ya I noticed that too. It was the same for Modern Warfare and other DX12 games. I think something to do with the shader cache needing to be rebuilt.

I've never played HZD on the PC yet, only on the PS4 pro so not sure. Is it a DX12 game as well? I heard it's a stutter fest.
Ye ye its a dx12
Why is this a thing?

They should just make it part of the initial game load, like other games do. I'd rather wait there for whatever long it takes (it's usually a while like 5 minutes though :( ) than have stuttering in my game.

It would be cool to have this automatically happen in the background after a game is first installed or after a driver update.

Hell, doesn't the compiled result only depend on driver + GPU? couldn't that shit be precompiled in VR's and just donwloaded? the resulting output is tiny. You just need a repository of latest 3-4 versions of the driver + the latest 10 or so GPU's and you'd be saving a ton of time/stutter for the majority of your userbase.

No idea, its the main reason i gave up on that god awful fucking port that horizon is, i just couldnt, recompiling shaders everytime the game was booted which kept all cores in 100% for like 8 to 10 minutes, every time. It should be unacceptable, but luckily in Valhalla its a whole new thing, its all good now

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i dont know what the hell is going on with this game. usually it has my gpu pegged at 96-97% usage, then out of nowhere itll just tank down to single digits and take the framerate down with it. wait a bit and then it climbs back up to normal.
Are you playing with an Xbox controller connected via Bluetooth?
If yes, connect it via USB cable and see if that helps.
yup, using my x1 controller wired fixed it for me. what a stupid issue to have.

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
So I ran the bench, 3700/3080, and this game is one of the worst framedroppers I've ever seen, granted it was at ultra high.

Is there a better playbook than "wait for patch" to fix the incredibly bad 1% FPS rate? Is it sensitive to any of the graphics options?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
3900X/RTX 2080 here. I'm getting a really solid 60fps at 1080p with the AA and DOF on low, and everything else on Very High. I used Hardware Unboxed's video to see how the settings affect performance, and the only thing I didn't turn on was adaptive quality.

Last edited:

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I've just updated to the latest AMD driver and now get a pretty brutal micro stutter that wasn't there before. Sigh...

Eketra

Mar 22, 2018
I wonder how the dynamic resolution works in this game. I turned it off and got better performance. Maybe it interferes with the reconstruction from aa low? Anyways, it looks and runs better without it, if I'm not mistaken.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Can't stress this enough.

This is another one of those games that drops frames like crazy if you're playing with a wireless Xbox controller.
I've counted at least a 15-22fps difference switching from wireless to wired.

Coincidentally using the Sony Wireless adapter with the DS4 shows zero drop in frames.
I have five Xbox controllers and they all drop frames.
I had this when auto switch between controller and MKB was enabled. I set it to controller only and no problems after.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Ya I noticed that too. It was the same for Modern Warfare and other DX12 games. I think something to do with the shader cache needing to be rebuilt.

I've never played HZD on the PC yet, only on the PS4 pro so not sure. Is it a DX12 game as well? I heard it's a stutter fest.

Probably. However when you play too many games after it, the NV shader cache gets cleared to make room for shaders of currently played games.

It was especially noticeable for me in Witcher 3. Everytime after I played other games I had a lot of micro stutter for a few minutes when entering new zones and when effects get rendered. After it it was smooth. So I just cleared the cache before starting Witcher 3 and copied the files when I finiahed playing. So I just had to copy them into the cache folder when playing again. Rather spending a minute for that than having this stutter.

After driver updates however you have to let the game create new shaders.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wonder how the dynamic resolution works in this game. I turned it off and got better performance. Maybe it interferes with the reconstruction from aa low? Anyways, it looks and runs better without it, if I'm not mistaken.
It just cycles between the low/med/high AA setting based on performance. Since it doesnt kick in until after you have ready dropped below the specified framerate tho its not very useful.

Eketra

Mar 22, 2018
It just cycles between the low/med/high AA setting based on performance. Since it doesnt kick in until after you have ready dropped below the specified framerate tho its not very useful.
Makes sense why I get better performance from just AA low then. Would be nice with some actual resolution scaling as well.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure to understand V sync, Adaptive Quality and FPS limit. Are they mutual or exclusives to one another ?

also, borderless or full screen ?

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
I had this when auto switch between controller and MKB was enabled. I set it to controller only and no problems after.

Same issue

Towns:

Wired- 70-80fps (DS4 Wireless)
Wireless- 65-70fps

Open areas:

Wired- 90-112fps (DS4 Wireless)
Wireless- 70-80fps

Problem only seems to be with Xbox controllers on my PC (game specific)

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Same issue

Towns:

Wired- 70-80fps (DS4 Wireless)
Wireless- 65-70fps

Open areas:

Wired- 90-112fps (DS4 Wireless)
Wireless- 70-80fps

Problem only seems to be with Xbox controllers on my PC (game specific)
Special K can fix that, it has a feature called 'XInput Placeholders.'

When a wireless controller is being flaky, SK will throttle the game's hotplug code to prevent it from trying to poll disconnected controllers. There's as much as a 250 ms penalty every time a game tries to poll a wireless controller that is not connected.

Use the version of Special K here if you need this fix:

discourse.differentk.fyi

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

At the time of writing (v 0.11.0.51 // Nov 13, 2020), the official release of Special K is incompatible with this game (DRM / D3D12 / DXGI Debug issues). A pre-configured standalone release of Special K (v 0.11.1) is available for this game. Before After Install Download SK_ACV.7z...

Config isn't setup for this feature (I don't use wireless controllers), so add:

Code:
[Input.XInput]
PlaceholderMask=15

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Though I'm not able to say if it is because of the controller itself, the quality of the Bluetooth adapter used in the PC or a general windows problem.
It's a problem with XInput.

All games that try to hotplug Xbox controllers by polling rather than listening to device change notifications will have massive performance penalties. Experienced developers know better; there's blame to go around to all parties :P

djinferno806

Banned
Nov 10, 2020

I don't think that's quite true. Adaptive seems to allow it to drop even lower than AA at "low". At low I can't maintain a constant 60 fps but with adaptive I can maintain a smooth 60 fps no problem even in intensive scenes. It seems with adaptive it can reconstruct all the way from 1440p if it needs to to maintain 60 fps. Makes sense since the console versions work this way too.

Also from what I've experienced, it takes a second of maybe a small blip from 60 to 58/59 then back to 60 if it enounters a really intensive scene. It works a lot faster than you guys are letting on. If performance is poor with it on, make sure you're in full screen. Borderless for me was broken and terrible fps. Full screen and adaptive with a 2080s and shadows/clouds to very high gets me almost all smooth 60.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017

Same here. Which is odd because A) it worked great for me in Origins/Odyssey and B) I was actually seeing a occasional crash/freeze with it on in Vahalla. Haven't experienced one since I turned it off.

Jerbearrawr

Nov 15, 2020
I noticed that the sdr-calibrations actually carry over to hdr, though you can't adjust then when in hdr-mode. Upping contrast and lowering brightness, while increasing exposure in hdr settings provides a better picture.

This seems...broken though, and I'm not sure whether it's actually a correct hdr picture. While flipping back and forth between the options to adjust settings, I got stuck in some sort of limbo-mode where the game was saying sdr, but my screen hdr and the contrast went through the roof. Had to restart the game to get back to normal.

Indeed, I've been playing with SDR brightness at 1 and exposure maxed out and the HDR looks incredible now. It's right up there with Odyssey or RDR2. It does have the unfortunate side effect of making the menus annoyingly dark, but it's totally worth it for the in-game HDR quality.

I'm not sure if the SDR contrast setting carries over, but it's very subtle if it does. This is definitely broken behavior if only because the brightness slider can't be adjusted while HDR is toggled on. Hopefully it gets patched soon so that more people can enjoy the lovely HDR in this game.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
So, is the bottom line that the benchmark is not indicative of in-game performance? I have been not staring the game because I can't decide what version to play - have Uplay+, sealed XSX/PS5 versions (I can return of course). The in game bench at 1440p gives me about 65fps average with pretty good frametime. 4k is a big struggle without lowering the resolution scale.

I also have Special K ready to go for the PC version. Guess I don't want to get invested in the PC version if I am going to benchmark high but get into the real game and have it dip into 50s or 40s constantly?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
So, is the bottom line that the benchmark is not indicative of in-game performance? I have been not staring the game because I can't decide what version to play - have Uplay+, sealed XSX/PS5 versions (I can return of course). The in game bench at 1440p gives me about 65fps average with pretty good frametime. 4k is a big struggle without lowering the resolution scale.

I also have Special K ready to go for the PC version. Guess I don't want to get invested in the PC version if I am going to benchmark high but get into the real game and have it dip into 50s or 40s constantly?
If anything the benchmark performs worse than the actual game from what I've seen. Almost 30 hours played, benchmark gives me 60-70fps, gameplay is 60-90 depending on location (cities-wilderness).

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
If anything the benchmark performs worse than the actual game from what I've seen. Almost 30 hours played, benchmark gives me 60-70fps, gameplay is 60-90 depending on location (cities-wilderness).
Have same decision. 3080 and 5800x next week will arrive. But have a PS5. Is the PC version worth it?
Thanks for the response, that does help. I am in the same boat Yopis but was vaguely considering playing on both platforms (PC thru Uplay+ for a month to get access to ultimate edition goodies) because I can play PC during the day during meetings then console on the big TV at night (I can still do PC on that same TV, but a bit harder and requires changing settings/wires, etc). I really LOVE the idea of what Ubisoft is doing with their connected platform thing, but feel like with Microsoft, they should include play anywhere on any digitial purchase. As it is, makes more sense for me to buy/rent the disc version and a month of uplay plus, then resell - which nets them much less!

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Have same decision. 3080 and 5800x next week will arrive. But have a PS5. Is the PC version worth it?
Both versions are great. Can't go wrong. I have a 3080 (TUF OC) and a 3600, and get 60-90fps at 1440p ultrawide with all settings maxed except shadows and cloud quality turned down one notch to very high. It really depends on what platform you prefer to play on imo, since the PS5 still looks absolutely gorgeous and is almost always at 60fps.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
so i literally just got a pc and have no experience with pc gamesand holy shit is this horrible! i started up the game and immediately the sound is cracking by the time i get to my father my entire computer shuts off and i take my L
i come back later and im playing again using m & kb and its playing like a dream until i switch to xbox controller and the game is literally unplayable like fps drops to single digits controller doesnt respond at all. so i do the fix above vram reboot my computer and same thing even the title music is cracking holy shit now I see why you pc guys hate ubisoft
for the record my specs
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 GHz, RTX 3070 8 GB, 16 GB DDR4 3000, 1 TB NVMe SSD, Z390 Motherboard, 750W Gold PSU, Windows 10 Home 64-bit
gonna try some more if these fixes later because this is an affront to basic human decency
edit: oh this is the input thing i switched it to controller and it ran better until i hit a cut scene and audio was borked lol

Last edited:

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
I was surprised this ran fairly well on my laptop. 50fps and higher at 1080p and very high settings except AA at low and motion blur off. i7 7700hq and a 1080m. Then for some reason the game dropped to 2fps, 0% gpu, cpu at 5% and it just chugged. Weird.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Has this game been patched lately?

Haven't touched it in a week, wondering if the performance has improved at all

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Myeah not yet unfortunately.. but Valhalla is mostly fine performance wise to be honest, legion is a must patch, yet none

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Totally boggles the mind but my large performance problems with the RTX3080 turned out to be

1. The Xbox controller on Bluetooth (dropped me down to single digit FPS at times, despite being perfectly fine in WDL)
2. The fix in the OP about redefining the Windows cache size. Completely inexplicable why doing that affects anything if I have 32GB of RAM...but it did. And now it's a rock solid 80+fps.

Massive props to the OP and everybody who contributed to it.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Totally boggles the mind but my large performance problems with the RTX3080 turned out to be

1. The Xbox controller on Bluetooth (dropped me down to single digit FPS at times, despite being perfectly fine in WDL)
2. The fix in the OP about redefining the Windows cache size. Completely inexplicable why doing that affects anything if I have 32GB of RAM...but it did. And now it's a rock solid 80+fps.

Massive props to the OP and everybody who contributed to it.

I also did both things simultaneously and my micro stutters went away too.

The most confusing part: I can now go back to a windows defined cache size + Bluetooth without the stutter coming back.
And I had bad micro stutters previously.

I'm most utterly confused.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I just tried one of those "glitch" levels and perf went back under 30. Turning off Windows GPU Scheduler seems to have fixed that. This game is realllly sensitive to changes I guess.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the tips in the OP.
  • Was having 1 sec freezes anytime I switched between keyboard and controller (on Hybrid control setting). Changed this to Xbox Controller, and the freezes went away. You can still use keyboard keys if you map them to your controller, and you won't get any freezes.
  • DS4 controller icons with that small change in the ini file is a great outcome. Previous AC game let you change this in the main menu, so was weird when it was missing in this game.
Does anyone know of a quick way to toggle the HUD on/off with perhaps a single button press? I don't like having that compass up all the time, and turning it off/on in the menu is too tedious.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just had a weird corrupt save fake-out moment. When I was about to quit for the evening I noticed that my save had a "Data Corrupt!" message on it, and so did my most recent quick saves and auto saves.

Turns out the "fix" for this is to just do nothing because when I quit the game and loaded my save they were all fine. Thanks for the scare, Ubisoft!

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Is there memory leak issues that have been reported? My game runs at 60 to 80 fps with the occasional hitch but sometimes it just shits the bed into the single digits.

Triangulate

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm having a weird issue with Special K and I'm not sure what the deal is.

I've added Valhalla as a non-Steam game for my wireless DS4 through Bluetooth. Valhalla is set to Xbox Controller in the settings.

Upon first dumping the two Special K files into the game directory everything works fine. Game picks up the controller, Special K does it's thing for the framepacing, everything is great.

When I quit the game and then relaunch the controller no longer works. It doesn't fail over to the keyboard/mouse like it would if the controller was disconnected. The circle reticle is still active on the main menu but doesn't move, none of the buttons do anything and I also can't use the keyboard or mouse to even quit the game and have to kill it in task manager.

If I re-copy the base Special K .ini file everything works fine again until the next time I quit. Special K is adding some kind of setting to the .ini that's breaking the controller functionality but I have no idea what it could be.

Phionoxx

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Dumb question but if I plan on using the Special K for this game, would I then need to disable or whitelist the game from RTSS?

Seems like they could be redundant or conflict with each other. I usually only use RTSS on its own.

Goal being a lock at 60FPS with good frame pacing.