• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow looking at pc benches. Seems ps5 and xsx is a great way to go. Enjoying it a lot on my SX and I have a 3080 lol.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
In my case, I'm recommending it because I have logged the engine's DXGI code not changing the colorspace to scRGB in fullscreen mode. It requests a 16-bit framebuffer, but never changes the colorspace, so you're only half way to HDR in fullscreen.

Additionally, there's no actual benefit to fullscreen exclusive unless you need a different refresh rate than the desktop's running at. D3D12 is forced to use the efficient windowed mode rendering (flip model), which is more advanced and every bit as fast as fullscreen exclusive.
Is this true for all games that offer a borderless window mode? Is it generally preferable to running exclusive fullscreen?

Wow looking at pc benches. Seems ps5 and xsx is a great way to go. Enjoying it a lot on my SX and I have a 3080 lol.

I've been switching back and forth between PC with a 3080 and Series X (uplay cross saves), and its pretty remarkable how close the series x version is. For $500 its amazing in fact.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Is this true for all games that offer a borderless window mode? Is it generally preferable to running exclusive fullscreen?
No, not even close.

D3D12 games are required to use Flip Model, which makes windowed mode rendering efficient. D3D11 games can optionally use it, but I've never met another developer who realizes this :P

So 99.9999% of D3D11 or older games have a performance penalty in windowed mode. My own software can remove that penalty, but the base unmodified game will have performance issues in windowed mode.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
No, not even close.

D3D12 games are required to use Flip Model, which makes windowed mode rendering efficient. D3D11 games can optionally use it, but I've never met another developer who realizes this :P

So 99.9999% of D3D11 or older games have a performance penalty in windowed mode. My own software can remove that penalty, but the base unmodified game will have performance issues in windowed mode.
Ah ok, thanks!

So DX12 games have no performance penalty in borderless? In that case, should we use borderless instead of fullscreen?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah ok, thanks!

So DX12 games have no performance penalty in borderless? In that case, should we use borderless instead of fullscreen?

General rule of thumb is just to use fullscreen. There's almost always a perf hit with borderless. Unless you are streaming or something and need to be able to easily move in and out of the game there's no reason to run borderless.

Especially if you are running gsync/freesync and/or HDR borderless also going to introduce headaches.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
For D3D12 games, absolutely. There's zero reason to use fullscreen exclusive, it's just going to make application switching take longer.

So what is the exact process to get correct HDR in this game?

If I enable HDR in Windows, use borderless then enable it in game, I get a really dark, washed out picture.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what is the exact process to get correct HDR in this game?

If I enable HDR in Windows, use borderless then enable it in game, I get a really dark, washed out picture.

This is why I say just use full screen...

Theoretically borderless should "just work" but it flat out doesn't...

Regardless of it supposedly working in dx12 windows and Nvidia/amd drivers don't handle it well imo. Gsync and freesync also kick in and out in borderless.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I say just use full screen...

Theoretically borderless should "just work" but it flat out doesn't...

Regardless of it supposedly working in dx12 windows and Nvidia/amd drivers don't handle it well imo. Gsync and freesync also kick in and out in borderless.

According to Kal, using fullscreen in this game actually doesn't give you correct HDR.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah well, I dunno then. Just saying it's been a long running isuue that gsync using fullscreen and borderless setting in nvcp is wonky and borderless hdr is hit or miss.

It makes sense logically just as far as kicking in and out when dropping in and out of the game kicking back in doesn't work 100% of the time...

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
If you run it in fullscreen you get a 16-bit color SDR game. 16-bit framebuffers without an HDR colorspace active are incredibly bright and washed out.

----
We may be talking about the same problem, actually. Just getting it for different reasons.

A 16-bit per-color framebuffer without an HDR colorspace active technically only goes from 0 - 80 cd/m^2, but since it's an SDR colorspace, if the desktop has HDR enabled, it gets tonemapped to your preference SDR whitelevel (that slider in the display settings). The range remains only about 80 nits though, just stretched to whatever brightness level you run SDR content at (hence why things are washed out).

If you take a screenshot using the Xbox Game Bar (Windows + G) and share the .jxr image dumped by it, I can tell you definitively what the problem is.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. I looked at the benches for pc and then at my 2080 super. Decided to get it on ps5 and see how next gen consoles fare. It runs beautifully at 60. there is some tearing in cutscenes but I think that will be patched.

But yeah for ubisoft games consoles seem to be the way to go.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
If you run it in fullscreen you get a 16-bit color SDR game. 16-bit framebuffers without an HDR colorspace active are incredibly bright and washed out.

----
We may be talking about the same problem, actually. Just getting it for different reasons.

A 16-bit per-color framebuffer without an HDR colorspace active technically only goes from 0 - 80 cd/m^2, but since it's an SDR colorspace, if the desktop has HDR enabled, it gets tonemapped to your preference SDR whitelevel (that slider in the display settings). The range remains only about 80 nits though, just stretched to whatever brightness level you run SDR content at (hence why things are washed out).

If you take a screenshot using the Xbox Game Bar (Windows + G) and share the .jxr image dumped by it, I can tell you definitively what the problem is.

Sorry, but what exact steps do you recommend to get the correct HDR output in this game?

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a 8700k 3080 and basically gave up on playing watch dogs legion cuz its so infuriating performance wise.

If I wanna give this a shot, should i get it on pc or ps5? It seems like i'd have to turn down settings for 60fps anyhow, so im curious how much 'worse' the ps5 60fps experience gonna be in terms of visuals?

Is ps5 suffering from the same screen tearing issues as series x?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is ps5 suffering from the same screen tearing issues as series x?

Apparently PS5 is holding 60fps more consistently than XSX. Though it also seems to tear from time to time.
We have no idea how console settings compare to PC or what the dynamic resolution range on consoles is.

DF briefly shows of the XSX version, running on a VRR enabled 4k TV in their Devil May Cry 5 SE Video.
You can see the game briefly go down to 48fps there. A similar problem to the random frametime spikes you see in the PC benchmarks that people posted in this thread.
Could of course be a one time outlier on XSX, who knows.

In general: Locking the game to sixty with an external tool and using a Free-Sync, G-Sync display to mask small drops below sixty seems to give most people a fluent experience.

This is a random gamplay video. Recorded on my system with the game locked to sixty. (dynamic 3200x1800p, ultra, 2080Ti).
I'd say in normal Gameplay it is stable for 95% of the time.

If you are unsure, wait for the DF analyse or you could try out the PC version. Uplay+ is "just" 15€/Month. Though that are wasted 15€ if you plan to buy the game later on.

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently PS5 is holding 60fps more consistently than XSX. Though it also seems to tear from time to time.
We have no idea how console settings compare to PC or what the dynamic resolution range on consoles is.

DF briefly shows of the XSX version, running on a VRR enabled 4k TV in their Devil May Cry 5 SE Video.
You can see the game briefly go down to 48fps there. A similar problem to the random frametime spikes you see in the PC benchmarks that people posted in this thread.
Could of course be a one time outlier on XSX, who knows.

In general: Locking the game to sixty with an external tool and using a Free-Sync, G-Sync display to mask small drops below sixty seems to give most people a fluent experience.

This is a random gamplay video. Recorded on my system with the game locked to sixty. (dynamic 3200x1800p, ultra, 2080Ti).
I'd say in normal Gameplay it is stable for 95% of the time.

If you are unsure, wait for the DF analyse or you could try out the PC version. Uplay+ is "just" 15€/Month. Though that are wasted 15€ if you plan to buy the game later on.
How do you get 1800p?

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Yup. I looked at the benches for pc and then at my 2080 super. Decided to get it on ps5 and see how next gen consoles fare. It runs beautifully at 60. there is some tearing in cutscenes but I think that will be patched.

The benches are running the game on Ultra, something the consoles almost certainly are NOT doing.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The reconstruction i think it looks good in stills, but in motion with all the foliage its looks pretty damn bad to me.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The benches are running the game on Ultra, something the consoles almost certainly are NOT doing.

Seriously I don't know why this assumption keeps on. PC build has higher settings than console and higher draw distance. Also if you keep variable settings disabled on PC, 4K is always 4K and 1440p is always 1440p whereas consoles have dynamic resolution and assets to keep fps up.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i dont know what the hell is going on with this game. usually it has my gpu pegged at 96-97% usage, then out of nowhere itll just tank down to single digits and take the framerate down with it. wait a bit and then it climbs back up to normal.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
devblogs.microsoft.com

For best performance, use DXGI flip model - DirectX Developer Blog

This document picks up where the MSDN “DXGI flip model” article and YouTube DirectX 12: Presentation Modes In Windows 10 and Presentation Enhancements in Windows 10: An Early Look videos left off. It provides developer guidance on how to maximize performance and efficiency in the presentation...

^^^ That

It's mandatory that all D3D12 software use Flip Model. It's optional for D3D11 and is really beginning to annoy Microsoft and myself that it's not being used very often in shipping D3D11 software. We've both taken it into our own hands to override D3D11 games that don't use Flip Model because they're not doing anyone any favors. Microsoft's "Fullscreen Optimization" is the same thing as Special K's "Flip Model Override." Though my override pre-dates their optimization by a few years :) You could say I've been irritated by the performance lost by not using Flip Model longer than Microsoft has been.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i dont know what the hell is going on with this game. usually it has my gpu pegged at 96-97% usage, then out of nowhere itll just tank down to single digits and take the framerate down with it. wait a bit and then it climbs back up to normal.

Are you playing with an Xbox controller connected via Bluetooth?
If yes, connect it via USB cable and see if that helps.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So what is better, using setting AA to low, or going down to 80% in resolution scale?

Right now I have AA on low and RC on 80%. Should I only use one of them?
Render scale would straight up lower the resolution and that's it. The image will be upscaled. TAA to low will reconstruct the image from that lower resolution to native resolution.

Use only one of them.

djinferno806

Banned
Nov 10, 2020

I keep reading this type of thought process in this thread. But people keep forgetting the consoles are dynamically altering resolution to stay at 60 fps. Anywhere from 1600p-1800p. With your gpu(same as mine) you can just lower shadows and clouds to very high, and set adaptive quality to 60 fps and you're good to go. That gets me 60 fps pretty much always. Almost no stutters. And you might still be getting a bit more better image quality as it probably won't lower res as much and other settings are probably higher.

The one thing I will say is HDR is broken on the PC. (Borderless window mode is garbage in this game, tanks fps randomly by pegging gpu usage at 99% everywhere. So HDR seems pretty much unusable.) So the consoles will have that as a nice addition.

Oct 28, 2017
I keep reading this type of thought process in this thread. But people keep forgetting the consoles are dynamically altering resolution to stay at 60 fps. Anywhere from 1600p-1800p. With your gpu(same as mine) you can just lower shadows and clouds to very high, and set adaptive quality to 60 fps and you're good to go. That gets me 60 fps pretty much always. Almost no stutters. And you might still be getting a bit more better image quality as it probably won't lower res as much and other settings are probably higher.

The one thing I will say is HDR is broken on the PC. (Borderless window mode is garbage in this game, tanks fps randomly by pegging gpu usage at 99% everywhere. So HDR seems pretty much unusable.) So the consoles will have that as a nice addition.
How is adaptive quality on PC? I never have had too much luck with that settings on games that use it on PC.

I would love to play this with my 3080, but if it runs with less stutter on ps5, I may just go that route.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
So I dont know what was up with the first hour of the game, im 5 hours in and everything is butter smooth, I can say that the performance matches the one in Odyssey 100% at this point, no idea what was going on earlier, i also had issues where after 30-40 minutes of gameplay i had to restart due to massive stuttering

Last edited:

djinferno806

Banned
Nov 10, 2020
How is adaptive quality on PC? I never have had too much luck with that settings on games that use it on PC.

I would love to play this with my 3080, but if it runs with less stutter on ps5, I may just go that route.

It seems pretty decent. Ofcourse it will depend on your card and how low it has to dip in resolution. But it works seemslessly as far as I can tell. The reconstruction does a good job of the resolution not seeming too too way off from 4K. For me on my 2080 super it locks to 60 with a dip or 2 to 58/59 if I enter a heavy area but then it jumps back to 60. I haven't played the pS5 or SX version so I don't know if it's much smoother or not.

The first 20-30 min of the game will have some stutter as it builds the shader cache as a DX12 behaviour. But since then it's been smooth sailing for me. As long as I stick to full screen. Borderless window is broken for me. Bad performance. Which means no proper HDR sadly.

rBose I assume that's probably the DX12 shader cache issue. I had same behaviour as you.

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I have to say, it's very cool to see Kaldaien posting here. Thank you for what you do, and for sharing your findings.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what is better, using setting AA to low, or going down to 80% in resolution scale?

Right now I have AA on low and RC on 80%. Should I only use one of them?
I use 70% scaling of 4K resolution with everything on high or very high to get avg 60fps . Its not perfect but works more often than not. I personally really dont like the Antialiasing setting on low or even medium, it introduces to much shimmering for my taste , especially on foliage

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It seems pretty decent. Ofcourse it will depend on your card and how low it has to dip in resolution. But it works seemslessly as far as I can tell. The reconstruction does a good job of the resolution not seeming too too way off from 4K. For me on my 2080 super it locks to 60 with a dip or 2 to 58/59 if I enter a heavy area but then it jumps back to 60. I haven't played the pS5 or SX version so I don't know if it's much smoother or not.

The first 20-30 min of the game will have some stutter as it builds the shader cache as a DX12 behaviour. But since then it's been smooth sailing for me. As long as I stick to full screen. Borderless window is broken for me. Bad performance. Which means no proper HDR sadly.

rBose I assume that's probably the DX12 shader cache issue. I had same behaviour as you.

If you update drivers, I believe you'll likely get some stutter for a few mins initially. So that is to take into account too.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
So this shader cache thing is like in Horizon Zero Dawn ? I mean can you just sit tight in one stop and wait with msi afterburner running and check whenever the cpu spike goes down ?

djinferno806

Banned
Nov 10, 2020
If you update drivers, I believe you'll likely get some stutter for a few mins initially. So that is to take into account too.

Ya I noticed that too. It was the same for Modern Warfare and other DX12 games. I think something to do with the shader cache needing to be rebuilt.

So this shader cache thing is like in Horizon Zero Dawn ? I mean can you just sit tight in one stop and wait with msi afterburner running and check whenever the cpu spike goes down ?

I've never played HZD on the PC yet, only on the PS4 pro so not sure. Is it a DX12 game as well? I heard it's a stutter fest.

Eketra

Mar 22, 2018
I noticed that the sdr-calibrations actually carry over to hdr, though you can't adjust then when in hdr-mode. Upping contrast and lowering brightness, while increasing exposure in hdr settings provides a better picture.

This seems...broken though, and I'm not sure whether it's actually a correct hdr picture. While flipping back and forth between the options to adjust settings, I got stuck in some sort of limbo-mode where the game was saying sdr, but my screen hdr and the contrast went through the roof. Had to restart the game to get back to normal.

Last edited: