• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've gotten a pretty solid performance so far at 1080p, my setup is 3080, Ryzen 7 1700, 32 RAM and I'm getting solid 60 fps. I wish that the Dualsense worked through USB though, I'd love to play it using that

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is where to post this,

but has anyone else been having this cloud bug?

Yep, I've had that exact bug on my 3070. Someone else has had it too ITT

That was me. (unless there's fourth).

Made topic to Ubi forums, since it's not in known bugs list as of now https://discussions.ubisoft.com/topic/78663/volumetric-clouds-bugged-pc

maybe they'll fix it one day. (I guess bump could help, since it's not just me)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an FPS counter like other Uplay titles? I've got the game running at 1080p, Very High preset and it seems to be holding 60fps, if not mid-high 50's but I want to check for sure.

I'm currently rocking a 3700x, 5600XT and 16GB of memory. Pretty pleased with the performance, even if it, understandably, tanks when I try 3440x1440. Need one of AMDs new cards asap.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
9900KF(5Ghz OC) + RTX 3080 (OC) + 32GB DDR3600 + NVMe SSD

All benches ran with HDR on:

4K Ultra Preset
SDJ0M4O.png

4K Ultra + AA Low
H0MmQO3.png

4K Ultra + AA Low + Shadows & Clouds Very high
ahpgmT1.png

I normally jack up the AA in all games, but here I can't tell the difference. If anything, I prefer the low AA I think? It's less blurry and I still dont see jaggies, I don't get it.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an FPS counter like other Uplay titles? I've got the game running at 1080p, Very High preset and it seems to be holding 60fps, if not mid-high 50's but I want to check for sure.

I'm currently rocking a 3700x, 5600XT and 16GB of memory. Pretty pleased with the performance, even if it, understandably, tanks when I try 3440x1440. Need one of AMDs new cards asap.

Press F1

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone been able to get the Ubisoft+ version (added to Steam as a 'non-Steam' game) to work with the PS5 Dual Sense?

Steam recognizes the controller but when AC launches it doesn't work.

Is this due to it actually 'being played' through the Ubisoft launcher and the Steam settings not mattering? The controller works for my other Steam-only games.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone been able to get the Ubisoft+ version (added to Steam as a 'non-Steam' game) to work with the PS5 Dual Sense?

Steam recognizes the controller but when AC launches it doesn't work.

Is this due to it actually 'being played' through the Ubisoft launcher and the Steam settings not mattering? The controller works for my other Steam-only games.
Did you launch the game from Steam? You have to in order to get Steam Controller functionality working in non-Steam games. I've gotten Valhalla to work with the Dualsense

Sep 21, 2019
HDR is now working. Started with it off in Windows and then turned it on in game. Colors are correct now and look great.

Took a while to get going, but this game is magnificent.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
As a slight non-spoilery warning. Performance seems to get much worse on 2nd map/zone.

First 4 hours were pretty locked at 60fps on my wife's computer with a 2070 Super. 2nd stutters like crazy.

Oct 28, 2017
HDR is now working. Started with it off in Windows and then turned it on in game. Colors are correct now and look great.

Took a while to get going, but this game is magnificent.

Yep, I just came to the same solution. HDR on in Windows and HDR on in game was leading to some very weird colour space issues, especially in cutscenes. HDR only on in game is perfect, the the image is actually rather stunning in Norway.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
My experience has been that Special K's limiter works amazingly well when combined with a variable refresh rate display, but not a fixed-refresh display using v-sync.
Keeping the buffers shorted/empty is great for latency, but means it's very easy to miss the next sync and have it stutter - especially if it's a demanding game that is placing a highly variable load on the GPU.
This is generally true of any limiter.
You may well have gotten an unintended experience from the limiter, then ;)

I built it from day one for the purpose of frame pacing, to space frames temporally consistent enough to make ample use of Black Frame Insertion on a fixed-refresh display in all games. Variable Refresh is my arch nemesis, I cannot stand giving up low persistence motion blur free video for VRR. So you can bet the farm that Special K's framerate limiter is designed to work with V-Sync to produce the smoothest motion possible. Whatever benefits you get from it on a G-Sync display are unintended, but I'm happy to hear there are some.

It's extraordinarily difficult to miss the VBLANK deadline, the entire limiter has one job to do... wake up and submit a finished image early enough to short-cut the backbuffer flip queue and go straight to scan-out.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
You may well have gotten an unintended experience from the limiter, then ;)

I built it from day one for the purpose of frame pacing, to space frames temporally consistent enough to make ample use of Black Frame Insertion on a fixed-refresh display in all games. Variable Refresh is my arch nemesis, I cannot stand giving up low persistence motion blur free video for VRR. So you can bet the farm that Special K's framerate limiter is designed to work with V-Sync to produce the smoothest motion possible. Whatever benefits you get from it on a G-Sync display are unintended, but I'm happy to hear there are some.

It's extraordinarily difficult to miss the VBLANK deadline, the entire limiter has one job to do... wake up and submit a finished image early enough to short-cut the backbuffer flip queue and go straight to scan-out.
I would love to learn more about your Special K limiter- have a FAQ I could peruse?

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
So I have played around 10 hours and the only time I get drops into the 40s is during conversations, which is weird. Otherwise it never drops below the 60fps cap I put on with the options in game. Everything set to max except for clouds and shadows, which are at very high and high.

Ryzen 3900X
EVGA XC3 3080
16GB RAM
3440x1440 resolution

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I just came to the same solution. HDR on in Windows and HDR on in game was leading to some very weird colour space issues, especially in cutscenes. HDR only on in game is perfect, the the image is actually rather stunning in Norway.

Wait what! Several people in the thread said that you NEEDED to have HDR on in Windows to even activate it in game. I never even bothered to try enabling it with windows HDR off.

Just tried it with Windows HDR off and it looks great!

Wtf at people saying it needed to be on in Windows.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
I would love to learn more about your Special K limiter- have a FAQ I could peruse?
Closest that currently exists is this:

I'm in the process of getting LDAT hardware from NVIDIA to collect data for an upcoming blog series on the design of my framerate limiter. I intend to release it as an open source library for inclusion in as many third-party projects as possible. It does, obviously, work as a standalone product too, but I'm trying to spread the open source love far and wide :)

Discussion on tuning the limiter for this game begins here:

discourse.differentk.fyi

Topic-Free Mega Thread - v 1.11.2020

[API.Hook] LastKnown=128 d3d9=false d3d9ex=false OpenGL=false d3d11=true d3d12=true [Render.FrameRate] TargetFPS=60.0 SleeplessRenderThread=true SleeplessWindowThread=true MaxBusyWaitPercent=0.0 PreRenderLimit=6 BackBufferCount=6 [Render.DXGI] UseFlipDiscard=true SwapChainWait=1...

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Updated 8700k/2080ti impressions: I'm now getting a very smooth 60 fps at ~1550p rendering resolution, reconstructed up to ~1720p, by setting AA to Medium, Output Resolution to 3840x2160, and Render Scale to 80%. This is with all graphics options set to High except for World Details which is Very High, and the Special K version posted by Kaldaien earlier in the thread to dramatically improve my .1% and 1% lows.

This is basically me except I have everything at Very High and I'm not using Special K. Outside of the occasional cutscene jitter it's pretty much a flawless 60 fps and is performing far better for me than even Origins and Odyssey. I'm playing on a 6700kl/2080Ti.

And the cutscene thing has got to be some kind of engine bug, especially given the consoles are seeing similar issues with cutscenes.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Well.... technically, yes and no.

A 16-bit FP SwapChain (known as scRGB) can produce HDR in Fullscreen Exclusive mode whether the desktop is running in HDR or not. It is a leap of faith engaging that mode, however, because DXGI does not tell the engine which colorspaces are supported unless the desktop is running in HDR.

Plus it's Fullscreen Exclusive, and that's a hassle we're better off not dealing with.

Tl;Dr:

16-bit scRGB HDR works in Fullscreen Exclusive w/o desktop HDR
16-bit scRGB HDR works in Borderless Window w/ desktop HDR

Engine doesn't really have any idea whether requesting a 16-bit SwapChain is actually going to get it an HDR colorspace. So this is why no dev is crazy enough to do this. (.... that is, other than Ubisoft. But we already knew they were crazy ;)

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Well.... technically, yes and no.

A 16-bit FP SwapChain (known as scRGB) can produce HDR in Fullscreen Exclusive mode whether the desktop is running in HDR or not. It is a leap of faith engaging that mode, however, because DXGI does not tell the engine which colorspaces are supported unless the desktop is running in HDR.

Plus it's Fullscreen Exclusive, and that's a hassle we're better off not dealing with.

Tl;Dr:

16-bit scRGB HDR works in Fullscreen Exclusive w/o desktop HDR
16-bit scRGB HDR works in Borderless Window w/ desktop HDR

Engine doesn't really have any idea whether requesting a 16-bit SwapChain is actually going to get it an HDR colorspace. So this is why no dev is crazy enough to do this. (.... that is, other than Ubisoft. But we already knew they were crazy ;)

I tried both HDR on in Windows and off and on in game with borderless and it never looked right. Does borderless HDR just not work ?

Fullscreen with windows off is the only thing that looks correct here....

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
I tried both HDR on in Windows and off and on in game with borderless and it never looked right. Does borderless HDR just not work ?

Fullscreen with windows off is the only thing that looks correct here....
It works fine for me. I've got plenty of debug logs showing the engine properly engaging HDR in windowed mode.

Perhaps you have some kind of weird incompatible third-party overlay?

Sep 21, 2019
Wait what! Several people in the thread said that you NEEDED to have HDR on in Windows to even activate it in game. I never even bothered to try enabling it with windows HDR off.

Just tried it with Windows HDR off and it looks great!

Yea, that is the fix. Funny thing is that I tried this last night and it did not work. When I flipped HDR on in game it did not actually activate HDR.

When I tried it today, it did work, and the HDR looks fantastic.

So key is to start game WITHOUT HDR enabled in Windows and then turn it on when the game loads. If it doesn't work give it a few times until it does.

Sep 21, 2019
Has anyone figured out a way to disable the antialiasing completely?

Why did Ubi not allow us to turn it off? Every other Ass Creed game allows this.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Well dictator was in here saying that the AA is linked to the rendering res, so you shouldn't turn it off if you want to keep native 4K

Doesn't make much sense to me, but then I did see a huge drop in FPS turning it back up to high.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, that is the fix. Funny thing is that I tried this last night and it did not work. When I flipped HDR on in game it did not actually activate HDR.

When I tried it today, it did work, and the HDR looks fantastic.

So key is to start game WITHOUT HDR enabled in Windows and then turn it on when the game loads. If it doesn't work give it a few times until it does.

Lol what kind of port is this. I'm going to try it when I get home. I was playing with HDR on and off in-game setting and I swear is barely made a difference. I did notice white text and the sunlight looks very HDR bright but everything else looks washed out grey.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
OK, so the game is running great on my 3080 (except the cutscenes)... for 3 hours, then it slowly starts to turn into a slideshow. Restarting the game fixes this.

Is this a known issue? My temps are fine, the cpu stays under 75C and the gpu under 65C.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I have HDR working, the game looks so much better. I really wish I knew about this fix while I was still in Norway.

BBQfritos

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2020
Having matching fast ram makes a huge difference.
I had 20 gb (16 + 4) of mismatched ddr4 speed ram.
Went to 32gb of 3200mhz ram and well...
yPpC8ip.jpg

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
Well, I was absolutely dying to see how this ran on my trusty old 4790k @ 4.6 and GTX 1080, itself having a little bump to clocks.... And I have to say, this thread had me needlessly scared! I tinkered with settings trying to get a solid 60, and it seems no matter what it wouldn't stick. So I cranked everything all the way up and saw that it never dipped below 40. The in game limiter gave me lots of judder, so I locked it to 40 with RTSS. Much more consistent results that way, frametime was almost a rock solid 25ms. I have to say I'm happy! Granted, I'm only in the first little village at the beginning, so who knows what the rest of the game holds.

acBench.jpg

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's some problem with HDR between the main menu and loading the actual game. No matter the Windows HDR settings, if I enable HDR in the main menu before loading a save, the little preview image used for peak brightness calibration looks correct - colours are more or less the same as the SDR version, sun is much brighter.
However, when I load in the save, the preview image in HDR now looks completely blown out, the sun rays are covering half of the image, the grass looks almost completely black and the overall HDR image looks dimmer than SDR in actual gameplay. The highlights are still there, the sun and the specular highlights look bright, but it feels like the whole image is 50% as bright and colourful as SDR. It's really strange.

I tried multiple combination of borderless/fullscreen, Windows HDR on/off, nothing was able to fix this.
I'll stick to playing in SDR for now, I prefer not feeling like I'm playing in sunglasses in broad daylight.

EDIT: Ok, I've tried something weird and I think I bugged the game to work.

Basically, I start with HDR on, with the issues listed above. I then go to the in-game HDR settings, switch back and forth between on and off a couple of times, and eventually I came to a point where the game is outputting an HDR signal, but the actual HDR setting in game is set to 'off'. This way it seems that the HDR looks as it was supposed to - the whole image looks bright, the highlights are there, but the colours look a bit more natural than SDR. It sounds like this is just SDR image being outputted in HDR, but it looks significantly better than just watching SDR while in HDR mode. I wish I could somehow show this in pictures.
What even is this game, lol.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I've also found that turning on adaptive quality for 60fps and turning off RTSS to limit to 60 fps makes the framepacing better for me.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised by how the CPU is not being killed, and my CPU is a really old i7 6700K.
Game could use with some more GPU bound settings on a granular level though, seems to me that the one thing that leads to big performance loss even on a 3080 is fog and particles when both are on screen together, but there's no setting to address them both separately.

Overall I'm able to get pretty consistent 60FPS for the most part, but I just got to England and it may change.

Sep 21, 2019
Lol what kind of port is this. I'm going to try it when I get home. I was playing with HDR on and off in-game setting and I swear is barely made a difference. I did notice white text and the sunlight looks very HDR bright but everything else looks washed out grey.

It looks gorgeous like Odyssey when it activates properly.

Side note...this is shaping to be the best Assassins Creed game yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's some problem with HDR between the main menu and loading the actual game. No matter the Windows HDR settings, if I enable HDR in the main menu before loading a save, the little preview image used for peak brightness calibration looks correct - colours are more or less the same as the SDR version, sun is much brighter.
However, when I load in the save, the preview image in HDR now looks completely blown out, the sun rays are covering half of the image, the grass looks almost completely black and the overall HDR image looks dimmer than SDR in actual gameplay. The highlights are still there, the sun and the specular highlights look bright, but it feels like the whole image is 50% as bright and colourful as SDR. It's really strange.

I tried multiple combination of borderless/fullscreen, Windows HDR on/off, nothing was able to fix this.
I'll stick to playing in SDR for now, I prefer not feeling like I'm playing in sunglasses in broad daylight.

EDIT: Ok, I've tried something weird and I think I bugged the game to work.

Basically, I start with HDR on, with the issues listed above. I then go to the in-game HDR settings, switch back and forth between on and off a couple of times, and eventually I came to a point where the game is outputting an HDR signal, but the actual HDR setting in game is set to 'off'. This way it seems that the HDR looks as it was supposed to - the whole image looks bright, the highlights are there, but the colours look a bit more natural than SDR. It sounds like this is just SDR image being outputted in HDR, but it looks significantly better than just watching SDR while in HDR mode. I wish I could somehow show this in pictures.
What even is this game, lol.
I think it was mentioned earlier by someone official that if hdr is not enabled in game then you're not seeing true hdr. Can't remember who it was though...

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I'm on a 3700X w/5700XT and 32gig of 3200hz ram. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with performance at 3400x1440 using the Hardware Unboxed settings. It hangs around 60fps and feels smooth. I could never get Odyssey to feel this smooth in motion, no matter the settings. The only downside is that I find the image a little soft, no doubt due to the Low AA/temporal resolution stuff. But I'll trade that for performance any day of the week.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was mentioned earlier by someone official that if hdr is not enabled in game then you're not seeing true hdr. Can't remember who it was though...
Well, if the HDR in this game is supposed to look the way it does when in-game HDR toggle is on then I'll take whatever this workaround is instead and hope they don't patch it, because the more I play like this the more it looks like Origins' HDR and less 'SDR YouTube video viewed with Windows HDR enabled'

Oct 27, 2017
In the Nvidia control panel the default was set to RGB on my tv for my 3070. I changed that to YCbCr444. which is the best setting to utilize?

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
In the Nvidia control panel the default was set to RGB on my tv for my 3070. I changed that to YCbCr444. which is the best setting to utilize?
For a TV? YCbCr 4:4:4 is always best. RGB has to be converted to YCbCr for image processing and then gets converted back to RGB. TVs have never been particularly concerned about doing that conversion in as few steps as possible, and this is where their latency issues start to come from. Pipelining a bunch of conversions and processing steps that could be done as a single step, but traditionally have not been to save cost.