• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Low anti-aliasing does seem the key to getting solidly over 60fps at 4K. I did some comparisons with it on high and low, and low doesn't seem to blur the image or lower the internal resolution in any way. The difference is entirely imperceptible.

Sep 21, 2019
Does HDR work without toggling the Windows HDR option before starting the game? Odyssey works this way and has it's own HDR toggle in game so I am able to stream to my Shield Pro and still get HDR output, so I'm hoping Valhalla works the same way.

Sounds promising for my 1080 Ti + 3700x

The toggle does not work which makes me think hdr is weird.

What seems to work is enabling hdr in windows and turning it off in game.

Trust me. Colors and nits look correct this way. With hdr on in game and windows the hdr is too dark and seems to be sdr.

Sep 21, 2019
This game is kinda below average looking no? I'm legit baffled at everyone saying it looks so good and pretty

Playing at 4k, it's so muddy looking. Nothing about this game looks great, everything is just passable I guess. There's a lot of jank to it that I wasn't expecting from such a high profile title (this is my first AC game) as well.

There's sharp angles, low poly geometry everywhere. It sticks out so badly. Blurry textures everywhere. Effects look so low res, fire especially looks like something out of a PS3 gen. The anti-aliasing method they're using butchers any image quality. There's motion blur artifacts (trailing artifacts). Animations are super janky everywhere. Terrible pop-in and LOD changing close to the player. The clouds look terrible in HDR with this pixelated square-y texture.

Then there's things like NPCs with poor modeling with shields that float in the air like half a foot behind them, instead of being properly attached to their back. One cutscene at the beginning was so jarring cause of it.

I actually think it looks poor overall compared to something like Horizon Zero Dawn which I'm coming directly from, also playing on 4K.

Same!!!

Horizon looks SO much sharper as a game and with HDr especially.

This looks....muddy? Even with sharpening cracked to 100.

It just looks like it isn't native 4k or that antialiasing, no matter the setting, is completely muddling the image.

Odyssey and Origins did not have this problem.

This games looks and performs worse than a game released almost 4 years ago, horizon zero dawn.

I. Dont. Get. It.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna play this on a ps5 but I figured my 1070 can play it all be it at medium setting at 1440p. Sucks but I'll take it so I can play smoothly.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
This game is kinda below average looking no? I'm legit baffled at everyone saying it looks so good and pretty

Playing at 4k, it's so muddy looking. Nothing about this game looks great, everything is just passable I guess. There's a lot of jank to it that I wasn't expecting from such a high profile title (this is my first AC game) as well.

There's sharp angles, low poly geometry everywhere. It sticks out so badly. Blurry textures everywhere. Effects look so low res, fire especially looks like something out of a PS3 gen. The anti-aliasing method they're using butchers any image quality. There's motion blur artifacts (trailing artifacts). Animations are super janky everywhere. Terrible pop-in and LOD changing close to the player. The clouds look terrible in HDR with this pixelated square-y texture.

Then there's things like NPCs with poor modeling with shields that float in the air like half a foot behind them, instead of being properly attached to their back. One cutscene at the beginning was so jarring cause of it.

I actually think it looks poor overall compared to something like Horizon Zero Dawn which I'm coming directly from, also playing on 4K.

Just about... even though I wasn't keen on the visuals of WD: Legion initially, at least with Ray-Tracing enabled @ 4K60fps it looked like something I would expect out of a cross gen title, which wasn't the most impressive but still way more better looking than this game. And then you add games like Horizon ZD and RDR2 to the equation, both of which are FAR more technically/visually impressive open world games from 2-4 years ago...

Sep 21, 2019
Just about... even though I wasn't keen on the visuals of WD: Legion initially, at least with Ray-Tracing enabled @ 4K60fps it looked like something I would expect out of a cross gen title, which wasn't the most impressive but still way more better looking than this game. And then you add games like Horizon ZD and RDR2 to the equation, both of which are FAR more technically/visually impressive open world games from 2-4 years ago...

Amen. RDR2 and Horizon look so much better.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While the actual graphics feel dated in a lot of ways, I'm finding the HDR to be extremely solid on my LG CX. I'm not getting the raised blacks I got with WD Legion and this game feels like it was made for an LG CX as 800 nits was the default. I'm turning on HDR in Windows before starting the game and I'm getting a great result (3080 with HDMI 2.1)

Dec 25, 2018
I keep getting a weird freezing issue. Only fix seems to keep the game at 30FPS, like the game will completely freeze and then eventually resume. Weird. Even happening on medium settings. A shame, I really like this game so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have the issue where when you only have windows 10 hdr enabled and hdr disabled in game where the graphics are sort of pixelated/ weird colors / just not right?

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
89scojl.png

Very High settings at 4K. About to jump in game and see how it goes.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Anyone have the issue where when you only have windows 10 hdr enabled and hdr disabled in game where the graphics are sort of pixelated/ weird colors / just not right?
Didn't RTSS cause that problem for years and years in Assassin's Creed games? It hooks the SwapChain and doesn't implement all of the HDR stuff, so when HDR games aren't busy crashing they're sending commands to set HDR colorspace / metadata nowhere.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i did a fresh install of UBI connect and the game. the game wont start. first time having problems with a ubisoft game. but i got them all before on steam.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Three hours. 4K 60 all To the highest non ultra preset. Enabled the DRS and lowered shadows and clouds. Lowered depth of field to low as well, more of a personal preference. Outside of villages I get very much a rock solid 60. In towns it drops to 55ish or so. Certain cutscenes make it drop to 45 the lowest I've seen. Had a raid where it hovered around 50, guess due to the alpha effects all over the place. My 3900x at 4.3 locked seems unbothered by this game while the 3080 is sweating for its life. I think a patch could solve some of the issues though. I am content with the performance and these settings, just wish itperformed better in towns and in some of those cut scenes.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Game's definitely not in HDR mode until you use the in-game toggle, BTW.

Code:
11/11/2020 03:17:50.992: [   DXGI   ] [!]     IDXGISwapChain::SetFullscreenState          ({ Windowed }, 00000000h)                              -- [ ACValhalla_plus.exe       <AK::MusicEngine::GetDefaultInitSettings>, tid=0x429c ]
11/11/2020 03:17:50.992: [   DXGI   ] [!]     IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers          (6,3840,2160,DXGI_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_FLOAT,0x00000840)     -- [ ACValhalla_plus.exe       <AK::MusicEngine::GetDefaultInitSettings>, tid=0x429c ]
11/11/2020 03:17:51.024: [   DXGI   ] [@]  Return: S_OK  -  < DXGISwap_ResizeBuffers_Override >
11/11/2020 03:17:51.024: [   DXGI   ] [!] IDXGISwapChain3::CheckColorSpaceSupport (DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G10_NONE_P709)
11/11/2020 03:17:51.024: [ DXGI HDR ]  [#] Color Space Supported.
11/11/2020 03:17:51.024: [   DXGI   ] [!] IDXGISwapChain3::SetColorSpace1 (DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G10_NONE_P709)

That's scRGB colorspace, until you toggle the in-game switch, it's running an 8-bit SwapChain in Rec 709.

If you change to a 16-bit SwapChain without changing the ColorSpace, the image will be blown out. So these reports of things darkening, are very likely the correct behavior and you just need to set the exposure / peak luminance accordingly.

Sep 21, 2019

Code:
11/11/2020 03:17:50.992: [   DXGI   ] [!]     IDXGISwapChain::SetFullscreenState          ({ Windowed }, 00000000h)                              -- [ ACValhalla_plus.exe       <AK::MusicEngine::GetDefaultInitSettings>, tid=0x429c ]
11/11/2020 03:17:50.992: [   DXGI   ] [!]     IDXGISwapChain::ResizeBuffers          (6,3840,2160,DXGI_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_FLOAT,0x00000840)     -- [ ACValhalla_plus.exe       <AK::MusicEngine::GetDefaultInitSettings>, tid=0x429c ]
11/11/2020 03:17:51.024: [   DXGI   ] [@]  Return: S_OK  -  < DXGISwap_ResizeBuffers_Override >
11/11/2020 03:17:51.024: [   DXGI   ] [!] IDXGISwapChain3::CheckColorSpaceSupport (DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G10_NONE_P709)
11/11/2020 03:17:51.024: [   DXGI   ] [!] IDXGISwapChain3::SetColorSpace1 (DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G10_NONE_P709)

That's scRGB colorspace, until you toggle the in-game switch, it's running an 8-bit SwapChain in Rec 709.

If you change to a 16-bit SwapChain without changing the ColorSpace, the image will be blown out. So these reports of things darkening, are very likely the correct behavior and you just need to set the exposure / peak luminance accordingly.

So hdr in windows and then toggle in game? And then adjust exposure and paper white accordingly?

Because if I launch the game without hdr in windows and then toggle in game it won't enable hdr properly.

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
Dumb question but how are you guys measuring real time in game FPS? I tried the uplay setting, afterburner, and fraps and no overlay is showing in game.

Deleted member 17289

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh well. i am done trying to play the game today, been at it for hours trying to start the game but it just wont.

Oct 25, 2017
so turns out the console version (xsx) runs mostly at 1600pto1800p and maxes out at 4k when not under load-so the pc version seems to be roughly on par if you have similar hardware? (say, a 2070 and a zen 2)

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Code:

So you need HDR enabled both in Windows and in-game? No HDR for me then via Shield streaming :(

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Runs pretty good at ultra preset with shadows and clouds reduced on my 1080 ti and 3900X at 1440p HDR. Medium AA and 100% resolution scale, don't really see much jaggies.

Either I'm used to the frame pacing issues or the shader compilation is real. Runs pretty smooth, some of the long field of view in the 2nd area are super solid.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Well there's no way my computer can even attempt to run this one. I guess I'm out until I can afford a new PC build. Ars Technica's review was also not light on how anything less than a PS4 Pro is going to struggle with the battle mechanic.

Deleted member 17289

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a problem like this with ubisoft games where they just won't launch unless I install the games on my C: drive. Maybe it's the same case for you?
already tried that, nothing seems to work. there is a lot of people having the issues. the game being released today, i did a google search and there's a lot of topics on the ubisoft forums already. really wanted to play but i guess not today. sometimes this is the reason why console gaming is so much better regardless of the 30fps, shit just work lol.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Well just spent like an hour trying to make the game launch. Really simple stuff... just launch the game. Had to give up on the Epic client and use the Ubisoft one and then it would launch. Why? Hell if I know its the first time I've used any of these clients. I'm guessing they are crap. These other clients are always crap.

Start up the game and turns out my 1070 can't even anymore. Getting like 30-40fps on High at 1440p with dips into the 20's sometimes. I guess it's time to dig into the settings and start tweaking away.

Honestly, the endless search for a 3080, and constant need to mess with settings is starting to wear thin on me. Might just buy a Series X and plug and play this gen. Too old and not enough time for this shit.

already tried that, nothing seems to work. there is a lot of people having the issues. the game being released today, i did a google search and there's a lot of topics on the ubisoft forums already. really wanted to play but i guess not today. sometimes this is the reason why console gaming is so much better regardless of the 30fps, shit just work lol.

I haven't been following your saga but sounds like maybe same issue as me. Have you tried launching from the Ubisoft Connect client? Soon as I launched it from there I got prompted to update, and it also automatically installed what I think was some dx12 stuff. Idk went by too fast. Then it worked fine.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
Framerate drops to 30-40 from 60+ during cutscenes. Yall know which settings I should be tinkering to get it smoother?

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I figured out my own performance bottleneck.

It was my RAM speed, like the poster in that Guru 3D thread mentioned I linked to above. My DDR4 was only running at 2333, I enabled XMP2 in my bios and now it is running at 3200. All my performance issues have vanished. I am now holding a steady 4K@60fps 60% render scale (so 1440P), high clouds and shadows, aa low. Even in the first Norway settlement area which previously was dropping me to 40fps, it is now a solid 60fps. Hurrah!

So anyway, check your ram speeds people!

My specs:
9900K stock
2080ti stock
32GB DDR4 now at 3200Mhz!
I was really hoping this was my issue but I just checked my speeds and they were already 3600mhz :<

Deleted member 17289

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well just spent like an hour trying to make the game launch. Really simple stuff... just launch the game. Had to give up on the Epic client and use the Ubisoft one and then it would launch. Why? Hell if I know its the first time I've used any of these clients. I'm guessing they are crap. These other clients are always crap.

Start up the game and turns out my 1070 can't even anymore. Getting like 30-40fps on High at 1440p with dips into the 20's sometimes. I guess it's time to dig into the settings and start tweaking away.

Honestly, the endless search for a 3080, and constant need to mess with settings is starting to wear thin on me. Might just buy a Series X and plug and play this gen. Too old and not enough time for this shit.

I haven't been following your saga but sounds like maybe same issue as me. Have you tried launching from the Ubisoft Connect client? Soon as I launched it from there I got prompted to update, and it also automatically installed what I think was some dx12 stuff. Idk went by too fast. Then it worked fine.
i own the game on Uplay (i know it was a different know, but it's Uplay). This is the first time i have an issue with an AC game, but all previous games i got on steam. what a god damn nightmare.

Oct 27, 2017
In the Nvidia control panel the default was set to RGB on my tv for my 3070. I changed that to YCbCr444 which is the setting I want to utilize correct?

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Framerate drops to 30-40 from 60+ during cutscenes. Yall know which settings I should be tinkering to get it smoother?

I'm at work, but my fiancé is home playing it and says it gets "choppy" in cutscenes.

Which I found odd, did the settings for her before work and have it set to adaptive quality, 60fps, couple settings like clouds and shadows lowered to medium.
Ran the benchmark a few times and it did great.

But it's also running on a GSync ltimate PG35VQ. So I feel like the drops would have to be insane for her to notice it being "choppy" ...

2080ti FTW3 Ultra, 3950x, 16gigs ram, and installed in on a freshly formatted older Intel SSD.

Any others having similar issues with cutscenes?

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at work, but my fiancé is home playing it and says it gets "choppy" in cutscenes.

Which I found odd, did the settings for her before work and have it set to adaptive quality, 60fps, couple settings like clouds and shadows lowered to medium.

But it's also running on a GSync ltimate PG35VQ. So I feel like the drops would have to be insane for her to notice it being "choppy" ...

2080ti FTW3 Ultra, 3950x, 16gigs ram, and installed in on a freshly formatted older Intel SSD.

Yes, for me they stutter and tear like crazy. Haven't been able to fix it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

I had this issue, but the cutscenes get better as it goes along - it isn't entirely elminated, yet it wasn't nearly as horrendous as the initial cutscenes where I thought Gsync had entirely failed. I've gone back to playing Watch Dogs and hope a patch will fix this issue soon, not that Watch Dogs performs all that well either lol.

theslb

Nov 15, 2017
I have a 4670k and a G1 1070 and in game settings i had to lower clouds and Shadows to high and DOF and Blur off and i can play at 1440p 40fps just in settlements at 60fps in the Open areas,no stutters at all its great my CPU utilization is at 60%,great performance nothing to do with recent WD Legions i have field of view at 100% and 60fps cap on the NVIDIA Control panel and v sync of in game.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
666740ff5bc201db33ea64275891f7e2.png

is this normal?

I have a 4670k and a G1 1070 and in game settings i had to lower clouds and Shadows to high and DOF and Blur off and i can play at 1440p 40fps just in settlements at 60fps in the Open areas,no stutters at all its great my CPU utilization is at 60%,great performance nothing to do with recent WD Legions i have field of view at 100% and 60fps cap on the NVIDIA Control panel and v sync of in game.

You get the same fps at me but I have 8700k and a 2070s lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or does this game look worse than maxed out witcher 3? Lol. And it runs way worse. Like skellige has way more vegetation/just generally looks better than this.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm is there some kind of memory leak? I'm getting 60-70fps when i first start the game which lowers to 30-40fps after a few minutes

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
It's shit like this that has turned me off from HDR, only had my new monitor a week and boy does hdr look fucking shit 99% of the time because it's down to settings, oh the fucking settings you need to cock around with to make it work per individual game. Even on my TV I need to mess with stuff per app or source.

Will snooze on it until it's more standardised on PC. Maybe I just haven't tried enough games that has it properly working - with nothing to compare it to and constantly switching between modes. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be evening or day time in Valhalla, turned HDR off, oh yeah it's day time.

How do they mess this up?

Try Crackdown 3 and Gears 5 both available on Game Pass (so you can play them with a $1 trial) and the best examples of HDR games I've played full stop PC or console.

Jan 10, 2018
I might be calling the bank tomorrow to see if I can cancel the withdrawal and screw Ubisoft sub. To think that I was only subscribing to test AC before buying just to see if it runs well on my PC...

Have you managed to solve the issue?

I'm still having issues after a lot of troubleshooting with the bank on one end and Ubi support team on the other. I thought it would work today but it's still the same kind of error with no solution in sight.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Have you managed to solve the issue?

I'm still having issues after a lot of troubleshooting with the bank on one end and Ubi support team on the other. I thought it would work today but it's still the same kind of error with no solution in sight.

Nop, still nothing. The banks here are still closed (its 8AM) so I can't reach them yet