• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Does Ubisoft have a history of cleaning up performance issues post-launch? I was mildly interested in Valhalla, but just like Watch Dogs: Legion it seems terribly optimized on PC (though I'll reserve final judgement for the inevitable DF video) which kinda takes the wind out of my sails.
They don't, no. For what it's worth though, both Valhalla and Legion look great and play pretty well at 30 fps.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Played a bunch tonight with a super stable 4K60 except the first town. Not quite sure what's going on there tbh. Would drop to mid-50s, maybe even to the high 40s at times.

Everything ultra except AA which is set to low (literally not needed at 4K, no jaggies at all). Benchmark has worse frame pacing than the actual game, no stutters at all for me in-game.

Ryzen 9 3900x
RTX 3090
32GB 3600 Mhz RAM
PCIe 4.0 SSD

Same build as me except more RAM. Hmm.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
HDR doesnt seem right. The menus are way too dark.

Everything seems too dark. Even when the sun is out walking over a snowfield everything seems like half the brightness it should be.

Also, there are some really suspect "dark areas" like in the woman's hut in the beginning quest. Everything has a really dirty reddish look that almost feels like it is rendering in 8 bit color.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
seeing a 1660 Super get 60 on very high (1080p) makes me a happy Okabe.

Sep 21, 2019
Everything seems too dark. Even when the sun is out walking over a snowfield everything seems like half the brightness it should be.

Also, there are some really suspect "dark areas" like in the woman's hut in the beginning quest. Everything has a really dirty reddish look that almost feels like it is rendering in 8 bit color.

For some reason HDR looks better if you enable it in windows and do not enable it ingame. Use the adjustments for luminance and exposure but do not enable HDR in the game.

It seems broken. Whereas you could turn HDR on in Odyssey and it would flip and turn on in the game as well, that doesn't happen here. HDR on just changes the color space or something.

It is borked.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason HDR looks better if you enable it in windows and do not enable it ingame. Use the adjustments for luminance and exposure but do not enable HDR in the game.

It seems broken. Whereas you could turn HDR on in Odyssey and it would flip and turn on in the game as well, that doesn't happen here. HDR on just changes the color space or something.

It is borked.

Ugh it is so frustrating. Why are devs constantly screwing up PC HDR when the can get it right on the same game on a console.

Sep 21, 2019
Anyway to turn off antialiasing through an initial file?

The game is blurry as fuck even native 4k and sharpen up to 100 in Nvidia control panel.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Are you sure that enabling HDR in windows actually gives you the correct HDR in game if you disable it?

Isn't it just blowing out the normal non-HDR image when you do that, like if you enable Windows HDR and play a game that doesn't support HDR?

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Anyone have any luck unlocking this early through Epic Games store yet? been trying since yesterday to no avail.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Should I have listened to the benchmarks when it said I could get 60fps on very high/ultra settings on my 1080? Screen tearing aside (don't know why it didn't have vsync on by default), the benchmark jumped from 45-60 for the duration before it ended and said 118 was my high and 60 was my minimum. Playing at 1080p.

Sep 21, 2019
Are you sure that enabling HDR in windows actually gives you the correct HDR in game if you disable it?

Isn't it just blowing out the normal non-HDR image when you do that, like if you enable Windows HDR and play a game that doesn't support HDR?

It looks correct actually. I've seen blown out fake SDR before. It actually looks like the correct HDR, especially with light through the leaves, like in Odyssey.

With HDR enabled in both windows and in-game, the HDR is way too dark. With HDr no enabled in windows and turned on ingame, it doesn't toggle HDR to actually turn on.

Sep 21, 2019
Subjective things and all, but for me that is very hard disagree.

When it comes to blurriness not sure what is going on. Little I played yesterday at lower res (3440 x 1440) game was sharp.

Horizon has much better HDR implememtation and more impressive graphics, and it is almost 4 years old. It runs at 90+ fps on my 3090.

This runs at 45 to 65 with settings turned down.

I'm not impressed.

Quite frankly, both Origins and Odyssey look and run better. I just don't see where the performance hogging is coming from in this game.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the big price/performance setting here?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Still in Norway but actually completely pleased with the performance with a 2080 Ti. Getting a locked 60 at 4K (80% resolution), Very HIgh settings, with dynamic resolution enabled. With 100% resolution enabled instead I was averaging 55 fps but was seeing some heavier dips here and there.

Beginning of the game left a horrible first impression though- a huge chunk of the opening sequence is a somewhat seamlessly inserted video file and I was getting massive stuttering while playing the video. I didn't realize it was a video at first and thought that was going to be indicative of performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Man with next gen console versions offering a 60fps mode really makes me wonder if I should even bother with ubisoft games on pc even more even after I just got my 3080.

Bummer no dlss. Is 4k 60 feasible in anyway with a 3080 and 8700k?

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
PC specs:
i7 9700K @ stock
EVGA 2070 XC Gaming (non super) @ stock. Running 457.30 drivers that came out today.
27" 1440p LG 27GL850, game is running in borderless windowed mode - not fullscreen. When I tried fullscreen and re-ran the benchmark, it didn't really change the results that much.

Everything is at max settings aside from depth of field (which I disable not out of perf concern but due to personal preference) and volumetric clouds set to Very High instead of Ultra High, 100% resolution ratio.

Benchmark average FPS is 53. Min 31, max 105. Lowest 1% is 41. Seeing some hitching but the CPU latency suggests it's CPU hitching and seems to have gone away after I've ran the benchmark a few times.

I could probably crank up the power % target on my card and net a few more frames. Hoping the game runs as smooth as the benchmark does. I'm not too concerned about needing perfect 60fps all the time, though. Bummed at no DLSS. Thanks AMD.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
EmcPw_pXIAIwlgf

All settings on High. Let's see how the real games plays...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Does England run worse than Norway?

im actually surprised that outside of the main settlement, performance is mostly solid

Onliner

Oct 29, 2017
Ansel not working for anyone else? It's not locking my controls and I can't interact with the overlay unless I hit escape, which puts me in a menu

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Still in Norway but actually completely pleased with the performance with a 2080 Ti. Getting a locked 60 at 4K (80% resolution), Very HIgh settings, with dynamic resolution enabled. With 100% resolution enabled instead I was averaging 55 fps but was seeing some heavier dips here and there.

Beginning of the game left a horrible first impression though- a huge chunk of the opening sequence is a somewhat seamlessly inserted video file and I was getting massive stuttering while playing the video. I didn't realize it was a video at first and thought that was going to be indicative of performance.

Not even getting close to that performance on my 2080 TI around settlements. Out in the wild yes, but in settlements my FPS can drop into the 40's when I switch to 1440P. (shadows and vol clouds set down to high)

Last edited:

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
HDR is too dark in this game, but turning it off gives me weird colors even when I turn it off in Windows. Like it's an HDR image being translated to SDR.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something is wrong with the engine, it doesn't like running unlocked. I get smooth sailing when I lock the game with RTSS to sixty.
But when I unlock it again to let G-Sync do its thing I get terrible micro stutters (not everywhere but too often for a good experience).

I've also tried out 4k, ultra on my system in combination with the adaptive AA setting. 50-60fps, without stutters! It's actually quiet playable and I don't notice the drops in resolution... That wouldn't be too bad of an experience.

Unlocked FPS
acvalhalla_plus_2020_gbjrc.png

Locked to sixty with RTSS
acvalhalla_plus_2020_9sj8k.png

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think next gen versions look and play better. Anyone had a chance in comparing them? Sorry if this is off topic.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Just maxed everything at 4K and locked it to 30fps. It looks great! Really love the snow, can't wait to dive in for 200 hours.

Do you think next gen versions look and play better. Anyone had a chance in comparing them? Sorry if this is off topic.

Than the PC version? I doubt it. Probably better HDR, but even on Series X it'll be a dynamic res and some of the visual suite probably won't be utilized as high as PC. I think most of those preview builds were all the PC version?