• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Faster load times will be a blessing. Going from River Raid to Ravensthorpe to River Raid takes so fucking long on a PS4 Pro.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It'd be nice if they could go back and do the same for Origins and Odyssey. Both of their file sizes are overly bloated as well.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
That's a huge size reduction on Series, installed the game last week and it was something like 115gb just the base game.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Nice! Moved it to my external on Series because the size was egregious. Might keep it that way with Halo here now but after that's done I can probably rotate it in.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Well we don't know if ACV isn't using Kraken now. Could definitely be though, because all consoles support Kraken as a software solution, including last gen and Switch. PS5 obviously has a decompression block tailored to it.

Another possibility is that they use different compression on different platforms. It's not like kraken is the only good solution either.
TBH there is not so much difference between compression algorithms anyways. Unless they start to procedurally generate textures, there is revolutionary compression fix.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
This is much needed when they have the upcoming dlcs and year two expansions. One is said to be 40 hours of gameplay.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Happy about some of the cutting on PS5, and I truly hope they're not bullshitting about the load times. This game is quite painful at times compared to other fast-loading PS5 games.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Those final sizes and saved sizes are off. I just downloaded/bought the 2 expansions on PS5 and before installing them the base game was not over 85gbs.
With them installed its over 100gbs. Where is the 13gbs saved coming from.
The update 1.4.1 is launching next week iirc.
This is really nice. Not ideal, but more games should do this and should do it more often. :)

Obviously don't have insights into what exactly they did here, but I imagine they remastered (no, not in the way you may think) / rebased the game, so that "version 1.4.1" is now the base game, thus getting rid of patch dependencies and cleaning up the overall asset / bundle layout structure of the game.

I appreciate the insight. Do you know why not many developers are doing this? Is it just not a priority for them to trim the size after a few months or is it just a more time consuming tasks than we probably imagine? What do you reckon?

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020
Still haven't played it. Seems like waiting, as is the case with so many games these days, will pay off with a better much better experience than at launch. Series X owner here.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I appreciate the insight. Do you know why not many developers are doing this? Is it just not a priority for them to trim the size after a few months or is it just a more time consuming tasks than we probably imagine? What do you reckon?
I know I'm not who you're asking but yes it can be a challenging thing to do. It can cause a lot of issues and would require a concerted effort with all technical disciplines still involved. It's hard to really say much more without having meaningful insight on the project, though.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope it fixes the horrible texture streaming on base PS4. Even with a SSD the game won't properly load all the textures.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got this game on black friday, it would be nice if they patched out the always online drm. It fucks with quick resume and being forced to have internet connectivity to even save my single player game isnt adding to the experience 😒

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't understand this chart XD. I read it, reread it 5 times. Checked out the original post.... I still don't get it haha.

I've been playing this game for the last week or so. I was kinda petering out early (despite going all the way through odyssey, except the last bit of the DLC). But maybe I'll check it back out. (Or maybe I'll just play Halo..)

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
So if i own it digitally On PS4 already I would need to download 35 GB to let it reduce to 30GB. Seems like every time digital is mentioned. I thank God for physical media on PlayStation. If not no gaming on PlayStation for me just Switch.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
So if i own it digitally On PS4 already I would need to download 35 GB to let it reduce to 30GB. Seems like every time digital is mentioned. I thank God for physical media on PlayStation. If not no gaming on PlayStation for me just Switch.
What does this have to do with physical media? If you own the game physical you'll need to download the full game with the new size, too. On PS4 you'll have to download 67GB regardless of physical or digital. After installing the game is 75GB in size. PS5 is a 40GB download and the installed file size 77GB.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Haha, I just want to know what the three charts mean XD. Oh maybe I'm just confused why downloaded is different from installed size? Just compression at play? And then there's more compression... in storage?

Which chart is what the final size is now, after everything? And which one tells me how much is saved?

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Haha, I just want to know what the three charts mean XD. Oh maybe I'm just confused why downloaded is different from installed size? Just compression at play? And then there's more compression... in storage?

Which chart is what the final size is now, after everything? And which one tells me how much is saved?

Important metric is that storage space usage after patch:
  • PC ~77 GB
  • PS4 ~75 GB
  • PS5 ~77 GB
  • X1 ~63 GB
  • XS ~72 GB

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Haha, I just want to know what the three charts mean XD. Oh maybe I'm just confused why downloaded is different from installed size? Just compression at play?
Yes, download sizes are more compressed than the installed sizes.
And then there's more compression... in storage?
Downloads can be smaller, because devs don't need to worry about the consoles being able to decompress the data while the game is running. After all the first step is just to bring the data from A (servers) to B (PC, console, ...). Once the game is on the HDD/SSD those get bigger, because data can't be as compressed anymore, since devs need to take into account how fast data gets decompress. In general, the more you compress something, the more time it'll take to decompress and sometimes even quality is lost in the process.
And which one tells me how much is saved?
This one.

Disc space saved after rebase:
  • PC ~34 GB
  • PS4 ~30 GB
  • PS5 ~13 GB
  • X1 ~30 GB
  • XS ~44 GB

Last edited:

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Hope loading improves on base PS4. I'm playing it now and enjoying it but I thought the game froze up when it was loading from river raid because it took 5 minutes to load back into the main map. I even installed an SSD today (from sshd) when I first saw this thread.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
What does this have to do with physical media? If you own the game physical you'll need to download the full game with the new size, too. On PS4 you'll have to download 67GB regardless of physical or digital. After installing the game is 75GB in size. PS5 is a 40GB download and the installed file size 77GB.

Yeah maybe I read you post, doesn't the file size reduce on your hardrive after the update ? Anyway I am saying if I had gotten the game digitally initially that would have been almost 70GB download, which is already a lot. To now get some space on my hardrive, I would need to download half the game 35GB in what's meant to be an update. I realize these number may sound insignificant to you but that's a lot of GBs, I get it's tied to extra content but men that's a lot.

Do you have to download to play the game if you have the disc? Cause you have to understand downloading 67GB is not as easy as it sounds.

I usually play whatever is the disc for most of my games on PS4. Played RDR2 without any update ( update was 20GB). That's why I can't deal with digital and why I avoid many free to play games on PS4. Can delete and reinstall games from disc and that's why I strongly advocate for physical

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah maybe I read you post, doesn't the file size reduce on your hardrive after the update ?
Yes the overall file size will be smaller. But for this update Ubisoft needs to replace every file, thus you need to download the full game (even if you use a disc) or rather the patch includes the full game.
Do you have to download to play the game if you have the disc? Cause you have to understand downloading 67GB is not as easy as it sounds
If you never want to update the game, then you can install from disc iirc. But then you are stuck with 1.0.0 or if you already installed the game and don't want to update you are stuck with 1.4.0 .

If you want to play the latest version next week, the full game will be downloaded. Download sizes are in the OP and yes I understand it's hard for some to download so much GB, since some users have either slow internet or data caps.
I get it's tied to extra content but men that's a lot.
This patch has no extra content I know off. It's just restructuring data of the base ACV game. For that everything needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah I'm not gonna admit how small I thought the filesize was 😆
40GB? Don't worry, many believe download sizes are install sizes. I changed the order in the OP quote, because of that. So people see first the numbers of the actual file size, so they can determine if they got space.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Yes the overall file size will be smaller. But for this update Ubisoft needs to replace every file, thus you need to download the full game (even if you use a disc) or rather the patch includes the full game.

If you never want to update the game, then you can install from disc iirc. But then you are stuck with 1.0.0 or if you already installed the game and don't want to update you are stuck with 1.4.0 .

If you want to play the latest version next week, the full game will be downloaded. Download sizes are in the OP and yes I understand it's hard for some to download so much GB, since some users have either slow internet or data caps.
This patch has no extra content I know off. It's just restructuring data of the base ACV game. For that everything needs to be replaced.
Thanks for the clarification OP. Really appreciate you took the time to make it clear

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
oh man I just reinstalled this the other day. I had to download like 120 GB for the game and both expansions.

I'm playing the PS4 version even though I'm on a PS5 because I started the game on PS4 and refuse to start a new trophy list.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody could make a lot of money if they made a new data compression tech

WildZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
Somebody could make a lot of money if they made a new data compression tech
180t3gB.gif

Oct 30, 2017
oh man I just reinstalled this the other day. I had to download like 120 GB for the game and both expansions.

I'm playing the PS4 version even though I'm on a PS5 because I started the game on PS4 and refuse to start a new trophy list.
You can transfer saves, though. I mean, the PS5 version is so much better if only for load times and 60fps, screw trophies. But up to you.