• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Late game question,

Edit: never mind. Looked up a guide and think I got my answer. Looks like I have to finish the last arc before I can finish the order of the ancients story, if I'm understanding correctly.

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finally finished this up (just the base game), and man does it feel good to get this one off the backlog. After 98 hours (per my save file), just wanted to share my (overly long) thoughts on this game.

There is quite a bit I like about Valhalla. I think the combat with the mix of different abilities can be pretty fun, to the point this was the probably the least 'stealthy' I've ever played an AC game. A lot of times, it was simply more enjoyable to get into combat than to stay out of it. I also thought some of the arc storylines was enjoyable and led to some choices that weren't always as simple as I may have thought going into them. I also think the 'world events' were a nice change of pace from the typical side quest structure of open world games, and it was nice to have more 'bit sized' quests like that to flesh out the game's world without taking up too much game. While I do miss some of the more interesting side quest lines from Odyssey, I do feel a lot of them from that game often became long and meandering, which is also why the 'world events' here felt like a more welcome change of pace to me compared to that game.

In terms of things I liked less, taking down a list of Order members was cool in concept (having a list of assassination targets essentially), but ultimately to me it felt like padding the length of a game that honestly doesn't need it. I thought the idea of finding clues for each main Order member was neat, but also finding Zealots with no associated clues to their whereabouts felt rather tedious. Combine that with finding more clues just to find 1 target (rinse and repeat), and the whole process started feeling like 'busy work' to me. Ideally, most of these should have been found just by naturally exploring the game's world while doing things like Mysteries and progressing the main story, but after 90 hours in the game, I found maybe half of them in that time (not counting ones you defeat as part of the main story). I wouldn't mind this as much if was just some 'bonus side activity' for those who wanted (even) more content in the game, but the fact it basically caps off the game's ending after Hamtumscire made it feel necessary to endure the tedium to close out the game's story properly IMO.

I feel my main issue with Valhalla (similar to Odyssey) is overall is just feels a bit too long for its own good (at least to me). Whereas Odyssey felt like it got lengthy by committing to most of the side quests in the game (compared to World Events in Valhalla which are comparatively much quicker to 'knock out'), Valhalla remains just as lengthy, and I think it's mostly due to the main quest just being extra long with all the arcs/regions in the game. While I prefer the organizational structure of them (each arc feels episodic making the game more amenable to taking breaks from it as needed), I do wonder if this game would have been much better paced by cutting/reworking some of these arcs and targeting a game closer to the 40-50 hour mark with main story/side quests (not counting collectibles). On some level, it's impressive how Ubisoft cranked out 2 behemoth-sized AC games in a 2 year span (I can only imagine they have a literal 'army' of developers working on these), but it does make it a bit tough to chew through such massive AC games every few years.

As far as the endings go, I did like the modern day storyline a bit more than I thought based on my feelings of where it went in the last 2 games. I don't really expect much from the Isu storyline, but I did enjoy them going back to how the Sages came to be (the video from doing all the animus anomalies was pretty well done, and I love how 'creepy' and unsettling some of the 'found footage' of First Civilization memories in AC games can be).
I liked the idea of Eivor being a 'reincarnation' of Odin (and ultimately rejecting him) while Basim essentially becomes Loki. What I'm a bit less excited about is Loki's role potentially extending to future AC games with the game's ending. While I thought he was a decent enough antagonist for Valhalla (and I think him seeking revenge against Odin is at least understandable on some level), I'm not sure I found his character 'endearing' enough for me to be excited to see him return in more AC games, possibly as the next protagonist? I wasn't a huge fan of Layla, but so far I probably prefer her character to Loki. I feel these games still haven't figured out a 'proper replacement' to Desmond after all these years, but I guess we'll see what happens there.

In terms of Eivor's story, I felt the ending was fine if not a bit underwhelming. I suppose I was expecting a big bombastic large scale battle with all the allies I made over the nearly 100 hours with the game, but the 'final battle' felt much smaller in scope. I don't think it was necessarily bad, it just didn't feel like a great payoff to me, especially with how much time the game expects you to invest in it just to reach the ending. If anything, I found the Order ending to be more interesting, showing Aelfred orchestrating the destruction of the Order of the Ancients (and hence away from their 'Isu Worship') to founding the Templars .

Overall, I did like the game. I enjoyed the combat, and parts of the story. But as I said, I also feel there's too much 'game' here, that overstayed it's welcome for me, especially towards the end. That's also also why I held off on buying DLC, as I just don't have the time or interest for more Assassin's Creed at the moment. Maybe that'll change down the road and I'll pick up the DLC when it's on a significant discount. But for now, I'm definitely looking forward to taking an extended break from the series.

Whatever they do with AC: Infinity, I would definitely welcome shorter Assassin's Creed stories in the future.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I started this over the week-end. I have some gripes with it.

First, is it just me or is the game just... janky? It feels like my character is routinely not doing what I intend her to do. I remember this happening occasionally in Origins/Odyssey but it feels much worse here. Maybe it's just coming back from Ghost of Tsushima which has far more polished controls, but yeah. Another example is how fire damage works. Many times I caught fire without being near fire at all, I think the hitbox on fire environments are just wonky as hell. Considering how quickly you die on Hard mode this got frustrating during one of the battles. I also wish there was much better Dual Sense feedback on PS5, especially when taking damage where everything feels sloppy.

I see they added the "social stealth" element back, but is there even any point to it? I took out my first Order assassination in an English town (Ledeseshtiresomethingorother), the dude wasn't particularly isolated from other NPCs (maybe out of aggro range of the other "distrust" guards though, but definitely in sight of civilians) and... no one cared? What is the point of the "blend in" stuff, can you really use that to lose aggro if they spot you?

Another thing: is there a point to taking out these Order targets? There's that huge tree of targets again but, even if it's actually more connected to "Assassin's Creed" than the viking stuff, they all feel like padding, honestly. It almost feels like they put that in to go "oh yeah I guess we're still AssCreed in our viking raid simulator so we gotta shoehorn this stuff in".

I kind of dislike Eivor's voice. She sounds like she's trying too hard to sound tough. Nitpick, but I know. Kassandra's VA was much better.

On the plus side, I can now raid and burn Christian churches, which is pretty cool, not gonna lie.
422516925776658432.png

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Another thing: is there a point to taking out these Order targets? There's that huge tree of targets again but, even if it's actually more connected to "Assassin's Creed" than the viking stuff, they all feel like padding, honestly. It almost feels like they put that in to go "oh yeah I guess we're still AssCreed in our viking raid simulator so we gotta shoehorn this stuff in".
The very last bit of story content requires you to take them all out. It's just kind of a brief epilogue though so I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to just Youtube it and save yourself the trouble.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

First, is it just me or is the game just... janky? It feels like my character is routinely not doing what I intend her to do. I remember this happening occasionally in Origins/Odyssey but it feels much worse here. Maybe it's just coming back from Ghost of Tsushima which has far more polished controls, but yeah. Another example is how fire damage works. Many times I caught fire without being near fire at all, I think the hitbox on fire environments are just wonky as hell. Considering how quickly you die on Hard mode this got frustrating during one of the battles. I also wish there was much better Dual Sense feedback on PS5, especially when taking damage where everything feels sloppy.

I see they added the "social stealth" element back, but is there even any point to it? I took out my first Order assassination in an English town (Ledeseshtiresomethingorother), the dude wasn't particularly isolated from other NPCs (maybe out of aggro range of the other "distrust" guards though, but definitely in sight of civilians) and... no one cared? What is the point of the "blend in" stuff, can you really use that to lose aggro if they spot you?

I kind of dislike Eivor's voice. She sounds like she's trying too hard to sound tough. Nitpick, but I know. Kassandra's VA was much better.

On the plus side, I can now raid and burn Christian churches, which is pretty cool, not gonna lie.
422516925776658432.png
Yeah there's hella jank on display, more so than the previous entries. i enjoyed the sixty hours that i dialed in but i don't think I'll return, especially after spending more time with Tsushima, which is in every single way a superior product. I really can't return to Valhalla's weightless combat in comparison.

Eivor is a flat character no matter what, the the Male VA is trying to add personality to the dialogue. The Female VA has a nice voice, but her direction is off.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Contrary to what most of the reviews stated, I am enjoying Siege of Paris significantly more than Wrath of the Druids, just everything about it is better, better scenery, better characters, better city gameplay, better missions, better story, better music (there is one track that plays whilst exploring that really brings back AC2 Venice vibes).

Fucking reviews, I nearly skipped it after being disappointed with Druids, really glad I didn't.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Contrary to what most of the reviews stated, I am enjoying Siege of Paris significantly more than Wrath of the Druids, just everything about it is better, better scenery, better characters, better city gameplay, better missions, better story, better music (there is one track that plays whilst exploring that really brings back AC2 Venice vibes).

Fucking reviews, I nearly skipped it after being disappointed with Druids, really glad I didn't.
I agree that the city gameplay, especially the open assassinations, were cool and a high point. But other than that for me the characters and their development didn't really connect with me too much, the landscape felt quite boring (although traversal was 100x improved because no mountains means you can go mostly straight to your target) and the city itself felt really small.

Wasn't disappointed though, just hoped for something different, but didn't really get anything of that- besides the "old style" assassinations.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

422516925776658432.png
Yeah, it's the usual AC "that's not what I wanted you to do..." gameplay that has persisted since the very first game. You'll probably get used to it again =D

Social stealth is back, but highly divisive. Seems a lot of AC players got so used to stealth being easy the last few games that they never want to use the social stealth options, and get upset when they get detected in towns as a result. As a huge fan of the first two games, I love that it's back, and I love that sometimes I need to make an escape and lose pursuers again. Another tip to make use of during stealth is directed distractions - you can shoot stained glass windows or pottery to draw nearby guards towards the noise, letting you walk by. You can also unlock a raven ability to distract guards (basically makes them blind for a while) so you can walk right past. Whistling from bushes was nerfed from previous games at launch to try and get players to use these tools, but there were so many complaints about guards not leaving their posts to investigate a whistling bush that it was soon patched to work again, so that "staple" is back again if you like making liberal use of it. Personally I think it's the best stealth has been since Unity. Odyssey was immensely fun, but also brain-dead easy (teleport chain assassinations with your enemies vanishing into thin air after dying).

Order targets: Yes, it does feel like filler most of the time, but there are some really cool moments tied to them. Some of the characters are pretty big and tied to the main story, and you get to visit an awesome location which ties the series' over-arching story in amazingly well with a previous game. Well worth doing though, as is pursuing the Seer's Hut storyline when you unlock it.

Eivor's voice: Male Eivor is definitely the better VA here. While Kassandra was the clear winner in Odyssey imo, male Eivor is equally head and shoulders above female Eivor here.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Social stealth is back, but highly divisive. Seems a lot of AC players got so used to stealth being easy the last few games that they never want to use the social stealth options, and get upset when they get detected in towns as a result. As a huge fan of the first two games, I love that it's back, and I love that sometimes I need to make an escape and lose pursuers again. Another tip to make use of during stealth is directed distractions - you can shoot stained glass windows or pottery to draw nearby guards towards the noise, letting you walk by. You can also unlock a raven ability to distract guards (basically makes them blind for a while) so you can walk right past. Whistling from bushes was nerfed from previous games at launch to try and get players to use these tools, but there were so many complaints about guards not leaving their posts to investigate a whistling bush that it was soon patched to work again, so that "staple" is back again if you like making liberal use of it. Personally I think it's the best stealth has been since Unity. Odyssey was immensely fun, but also brain-dead easy (teleport chain assassinations with your enemies vanishing into thin air after dying).
Thank you for the detailed explanation, but my issue was that I seemingly didn't need social stealth at all. I killed a guy in plain sight of civilians, got that "talk to the ghost of the dead victim" cut scene thing (always found this tacky as hell in all the games, tbh), and when I returned to the game, there were no alerts or anything, I still ran away just in case but I seemingly didn't even need to, and didn't need to use the "blend in" stuff either.
So, maybe I just got lucky and later it'll be essential, but yeah. xD

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
So, does anyone can help me out with a question.

So, I started dating Randvi while she is still with Sigurd. (Whoops I guess) so I looked up what happens if you do that and apparently there is a bad and good ending. I'd like to avoid the bad ending because I don't feel like replaying the game just to change the ending lol. Apparently you have to make 3 bad choices out of 5. So I still can get the good ending. The thing is I want to have the good ending and be able to date Randvi later.

What do I have to do? Do I breakup with her now? Don't break up and wait for Sigurd to find out?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Thank you for the detailed explanation, but my issue was that I seemingly didn't need social stealth at all. I killed a guy in plain sight of civilians, got that "talk to the ghost of the dead victim" cut scene thing (always found this tacky as hell in all the games, tbh), and when I returned to the game, there were no alerts or anything, I still ran away just in case but I seemingly didn't even need to, and didn't need to use the "blend in" stuff either.
So, maybe I just got lucky and later it'll be essential, but yeah. xD
Yeah sometimes you won't need it! When you spend more time in cities you will probably want to make use of monks etc though to get past guards and stay undetected. It's only essential if you want to play like an assassin though. Some people seem to embrace their Viking side and just murder their way to their targets =D I think the main thing the team forgot to implement here was your target running away when you get discovered (like in AC1/2) which was a ballache to chase them down and rewarded staying undetected. In Valhalla they all seem to stay and fight, though I stayed undetected for most of them so can't say for sure.

As for alarm bells those are a thing, but don't happen magically. A guard has to reach and ring a bell, which you can identify beforehand and sabotage with a trap. But combat is generally so easy that another wave of guards doesn't mean very much in Valhalla. At least in Odyssey you were attracting mercenaries with overt actions like this which posed a very real challenge.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Kassandra is immortal because of the staff, yeah? LOL, is it actually her >.>

No idea… but I'm looking forward to finding out!

Playing more of the Seige of Paris expansion and I'm really loving it now. The atmosphere it creates is fantastic (damn that music is just phenomenal and imposing as fuck) with the lead up to the actual Seige.

Personally I would say this is the best story content and writing/characters in the entire game so far, effortlessly eclipsing that of the base game and Wrath of the Druids.

Sadly I know it will end soon as it's a relatively short expansion, nevertheless it was definitely worth my money and time.

Hope the season 2 expansions can build on this quality.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
After finishing the main game a few months ago, I started Wrath of the Druids last weekend and wrapped it up yesterday.

I must say I liked it quite a bit. It was like a condensed version of the main game and the trade economy was a nice addition to freshen things up a little. Ciara was awesome too.

My biggest complaint would be that Ireland looks too much like England, I would have liked it to be a little more graphically distinctive, Ubi did a better job with the Odyssey DLCs in that regard.

Anyway, Siege of Paris is next, hope it is as good as this one.

There are rumours of an upcoming DLC/expansion that will address that specifically...

That would actually be pretty awesome. Didn't think of that as a possibility.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
My latest batch of screenshots from the Siege of Paris expansion. Still in love with how this game looks.

t37hr6M.jpg

7Lymd1K.jpg

VB6t63S.jpg

RmbQoF8.jpg

uPxT2eq.jpg

Last edited:

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I will admit to not playing the game for a while but I was going to jump back in for a bit and I am greeted with a 45GB patch. The game already is already 130GB on my PC, good grief...

chilleverest

Jul 24, 2019
So its been a while and the dust has settled, what is the general consensus ? Better than odyssey/origins ? where does Valhalla stand ?

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
The season pass is discounted and I am in 2 minds…

i really did enjoy the game when I played it earlier in the year and platinumed it too, so over 100 hours.

I only was really interested in the wrath of the druids DLC but that's still full price. Is the Paris one any good? Roughly how long to 100% both expansions? And is there anything else included in the season pass?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I completed the Ledecestreshire (sp?), Grantebridgeshire, East Anglia, and Lunden arcs. I barely touched Asgard (WTF even is that...) and I have no idea if it's even relevant to the main story....

How much do I have left?

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I completed the Ledecestreshire (sp?), Grantebridgeshire, East Anglia, and Lunden arcs. I barely touched Asgard (WTF even is that...) and I have no idea if it's even relevant to the main story....

How much do I have left?
You're not even halfway through. Asgard is technically optional but the ending will come out of left-field without it.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
You're not even halfway through. Asgard is technically optional but the ending will come out of left-field without it.
Fuck this, I finally finished this and it just... unlocks Jotunheim, which is unlocked only after I reached Cent (I'm not even there in the story yet)? How much more of this nonsense is there FFS

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck this, I finally finished this and it just... unlocks Jotunheim, which is unlocked only after I reached Cent (I'm not even there in the story yet)? How much more of this nonsense is there FFS

you're basically halfway through the mythology arc, it's not the best, but it's worth it for the ending if you care even a little about the lore of the game.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I basically ignored that stuff as much as possible and finished Jotunheim after the main story. Didn't give much either way, found the ending to be weird either way but maybe thats just because I'm not that deep into nordic mythology and don't care too much. The mythology areas did mostly suck for me but are ignorable.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Been playing a bit more of Cyberpunk recently, and honestly, I think AC Valhalla doesn't get enough recognition for how good its character models are in cutscenes. Cyberpunk's are highly praised, and deservedly so, but there are many times where Valhalla's models look equally impressive imo, and without RTX to lean on. Makes me very excited to see what a true next gen title can pull off visually.

50683468113_4a21b5e67a_o.png

51536465499_0b867a1fff_o.png

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
The models are good for major NPCs, but weak for regular NPCs IMO. But that's pretty normal for an open-world game.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Whoever designed this game hates wolves/loves killing wolves more than Miyazaki, I swear

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Feels dirty even asking this, but just starting this game today and despite being a sucker for AC games, I literally couldn't face even starting it after how much time Odyssey took to complete.

Is it worth picking up the XP boost to help keep things moving? Does the game artificially pad itself out and make you go do random side stuff or is it actually pretty good about having you levelled for the story? I have heard its a damn long game so was tempted to try and remove the XP grind as much as possible, and to focus on the main story as I am sure I will enjoy it if that's my focus but I guess it could be its just a long game even without the grind being the problem?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Feels dirty even asking this, but just starting this game today and despite being a sucker for AC games, I literally couldn't face even starting it after how much time Odyssey took to complete.

Is it worth picking up the XP boost to help keep things moving? Does the game artificially pad itself out and make you go do random side stuff or is it actually pretty good about having you levelled for the story? I have heard its a damn long game so was tempted to try and remove the XP grind as much as possible, and to focus on the main story as I am sure I will enjoy it if that's my focus but I guess it could be its just a long game even without the grind being the problem?

You can focus on main story. There are no standard side quest in game, there are just short missions that encapsulate life of people in that era and some fun ones. But it is still long ass game.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Started up Black Flag today and it got me thinking - is this (like bf) a great viking game hindered by a bunch of assassin creed stuff? Or is valhalla more open to players who just want to viking around England?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Started up Black Flag today and it got me thinking - is this (like bf) a great viking game hindered by a bunch of assassin creed stuff? Or is valhalla more open to players who just want to viking around England?

It is opposite of BF, it is basically Viking game with very little Assassins Creed in it.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Well, 290 hours later I am finally done with the game and both expansions. Really enjoyed it, expansion 1 (Ireland) was a low point for me, but expansion 2 (Francia) made up for it fortunately and I thought it was great. Overall I think it was time well spent, have uninstalled it now and will revisit next year when expansion 3 hits.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
wat.gif

I mean, the game is big AF and I logged around 145 hours I think but I'm seriously curious on how you can spend twice that. Did you do absolutely everything? I have a few regions completed, a few where only one or two tasks are left and about half of them where I am basically at around 50% completion (of the side activities of course).

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
wat.gif

I mean, the game is big AF and I logged around 145 hours I think but I'm seriously curious on how you can spend twice that. Did you do absolutely everything? I have a few regions completed, a few where only one or two tasks are left and about half of them where I am basically at around 50% completion (of the side activities of course).

Yeah, 100% all regions, including the expansions. Also spent a lot of time taking screenshots and rarely fast travel.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever designed this game hates wolves/loves killing wolves more than Miyazaki, I swear

Ha! It's so funny to read this because I was thinking the exact same thing as I was playing yesterday and was attacked by wolves for the 8 millionth time. Also the fact so many of the legendary animals are wolves or dogs… kind of disappointing. I want to fight a narwhal!

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
By Freyja, did this game really throw "cake is a lie" joke at me just now? 😖

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
So in the beginning I travelled to the first large town and met a person who said they sold my fathers stuff. He said I get his stuff if I let him live. So I did. I saw I got a key of some sort, and ran to get my fathers helmet, but I just got some silver and shit. So I changed my mind and ran to I kill him anyway... Did I fuck up the save in some way?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm on Series X and after turning the console on tonight Valhalla tried to auto download a 112 (ONE HUNDRED AND TWELVE) gig update!?

Surely that can't be right?