• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
Hey guys I know I'm LTTP but finally started playing after getting it from my brother in law for Christmas.

I'm about 75 hours in now in Jorvik playing on XSX and I'm getting A LOT of tearing in Jorvik in performance mode. Is this normal? I had some tearing before but nothing like in Jorvik.

Also the combat only kicked in once I started dual wielding axes. I always thought the regular axe + shield was slow, awkward and ineffective. Is there a concensus about what's the best weapons to have?

Game definitely took a while to kick in but now I'm addicted and I'll try to 100% it. How's the first DLC? Worth getting?

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys I know I'm LTTP but finally started playing after getting it from my brother in law for Christmas.

I'm about 75 hours in now in Jorvik playing on XSX and I'm getting A LOT of tearing in Jorvik in performance mode. Is this normal? I had some tearing before but nothing like in Jorvik.

Also the combat only kicked in once I started dual wielding axes. I always thought the regular axe + shield was slow, awkward and ineffective. Is there a concensus about what's the best weapons to have?

Game definitely took a while to kick in but now I'm addicted and I'll try to 100% it. How's the first DLC? Worth getting?
Yeah, tearing in Jorvik and Wincestre is a common complaint. Dual wielding spears seems to be the consensus OP build though I haven't tried it personally. The DLC is very much just more of the same so I'd hold off until the end to see if you're really up for more.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

Dual hand axes just seems like the best weapon combo from what I've seen. The great axe and great sword are too slow. I'll admit, I haven't tried spear or dagger yet, but bringing those up to the level of my hand axes is going to take forever.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Got my last gold on the mastery challenges. Overall I thought this was a lot of fun for free DLC but a few challenges definitely crossed a line into bullshit territory thanks to glitches or suicidal AI. I'm pretty sure there will be another set of these and I hope they make them just slightly forgiving to account for that kind of thing. The Odin's Mine archery challenge was by far the worst. Needing to have perfect aim on consoles is bad enough without having to worry about enemies killing themselves before you even see them. I was only able to win after getting clued in on the fact that the big enemy at the end will regenerate his weak points if you run back to the entrance and wait for the music to calm down.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the amount of times on the Odin's Mine archery one I've aimed right at their weak spot only for it to count as a body or head shot... just annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got gold on Odin's Mine archery challenge after probably 5-7 hours…my main issue was the final area. I would lure the final 2 targets out only to find the normal enemies would suicide if I didn't stay in the area. Probably one of the worst AC related challenges I can remember.

Dec 2, 2020
Can someone help. I'm level 180. I still need to do Scripescire, Eurvicscire, Glowecestrescire and Hamtunscire on the map. I've done all the Asgard / Vinland stuff available. How far am I through the main story roughly and how many hours roughly left sticking to it? I really like the game but at 45 hours in I'm ready to move on once I hit say 60 hours.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help. I'm level 180. I still need to do Scripescire, Eurvicscire, Glowecestrescire and Hamtunscire on the map. I've done all the Asgard / Vinland stuff available. How far am I through the main story roughly and how many hours roughly left sticking to it? I really like the game but at 45 hours in I'm ready to move on once I hit say 60 hours.
Seems like you've been going in a bit of an odd order but assuming those are truly the only areas in England you have left you may be able to wrap up most of the main story in about 15 hours if you focus solely on the story and ignore all side content. There's a bit of an epilogue after the Hamtunshire arc you can only get by tracking down all the order members but you may just want to YouTube that.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys quick q. Is this game longer/bigger than Odyssey? Does it just have one main story line you can blow through or does it have three like Odyssey?

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys quick q. Is this game longer/bigger than Odyssey? Does it just have one main story line you can blow through or does it have three like Odyssey?

The critical path is longer than Odyssey. Even if you ignore optional content you're probably looking at a 50-60 hours. The game is broken into multiple arcs that do bounce between a few different plotlines. You have some freedom in the order that you tackle the arcs but they do wrap up in a linear sequence.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
The critical path is longer than Odyssey. Even if you ignore optional content you're probably looking at a 50-60 hours. The game is broken into multiple arcs that do bounce between a few different plotlines. You have some freedom in the order that you tackle the arcs but they do wrap up in a linear sequence.
Thanks for the quick response. Was hoping for something shorter for the main path but ah well. I'm sure I'll get to it at some point, lol.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Well I'll be damned if the spear ain't great.

While it's open, I feel more directed so far. Odyssey I did whatever and finished a whole path and then pacing was off (my own fault).
Personally, I think that' was just Odyssey. Quests would literally drag you all over Greece and it didn't feel connected. This one overall feels way more directed and connected to me too.

Oracleofdust

Prophet of Regret
Nov 3, 2017
Haven't played this game since launch. I had to put it away because of the abysmal sound mix, hoping it would get patched.
Has it been patched/improved yet? On XSX btw.

ferma

Oct 27, 2017
La Jolla
I fired this up again on my PS5 and after downloading the latest expansion it seems the game is no longer 60 FPS, even in performance mode. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I fired this up again on my PS5 and after downloading the latest expansion it seems the game is no longer 60 FPS, even in performance mode. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?
The PS5 version was definitely still 60fps when I played through the mastery challenges a week ago.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no credit roll so even when it does you may not realize it.

I continue to be baffled by these kind of statements. Like, how do you complete the final quest and NOT realize you beat the game?

I understand there are some things to do after the final mission, and you can keep playing and doing side stuff, but the final mission is pretty final imo....I can't imagine playing through it and not understanding that was the final act of the game haha.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I've been making my way through the game. At some point the game stopped giving me quests and basically everything on my quest list was the continuous quests. So I roamed the world and unlocked over half the map and did side missions.

Then I Googled it and realized to keep getting quests, you have to activate another area on the Alliance Map. I hit 16 hours of play time before starting my second area (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I've been making my way through the game. At some point the game stopped giving me quests and basically everything on my quest list was the continuous quests. So I roamed the world and unlocked over half the map and did side missions.

Then I Googled it and realized to keep getting quests, you have to activate another area on the Alliance Map. I hit 16 hours of play time before starting my second area (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
You're definitely not the first to do that. They probably should have put a "talk to Randvi" objective in the quest log whenever an alliance quest isn't active.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Origins and Odyssey and now that I've got a Series X, I'm finally dipping into Valhalla and enjoying it so far (still in Norway after 4-5 hours). However one thing that really stands out is how bad the audio mix can be. Everything (voices, environment, movement, etc...) just sounds compressed and like it wasn't touched at all after the recording was done. Possibly COVID had a effect on development but it seems like this kind of stuff would be done prior to when everyone went remote in March\April 2020.

Anyways doubt the audio in this game will ever be improved, I'm just surprised it got released in the state it's in.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing this off and on since November (didn't play for several months and have been playing here and there since April) and I finally finished the main campaign today. My biggest takeaway after beating it is that this game was way too fucking long. The fact that you have to pledge to virtually every region to see the ending just wore me down by the end. So many of those arcs felt like side stories that weren't necessary. After a while it got to the point where I just wanted to finish it but it kept going and going, and I put in so much time that I felt like I needed to see it through to the end.

For as much shit as Odyssey gets for being bloated (and rightfully so in many cases), I had way more fun with the gameplay and surrounding map in that game. Even got the plat in Odyssey. I just really didn't like the way they implemented loot in this game where you have to find it in specific chests rather than loot drops from enemies like in Odyssey and Valhalla. Also changes like the way the raven is gimped compared to previous Origins/Odyssey, the cluttered and disorganized skill tree, etc. Just a lot of things that added up and hampered the experience for me. Eivor was a good protagonist though, just a shame the story doesn't really go anywhere. Valhalla is definitely my least favorite AC between Black Flag, Origins, and Odyssey. Hopefully they can find the right balance in the next AC.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I launched Valhalla on my PS5. Many trophies from my PS4 save popped up. But not all of them. Including some story progression related (like upgrading the main hub). I guess there is no fix to that :/

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying this game but man the audio is so terrible. I can tolerate most of it but Eivor's footsteps are 10x louder than they should be. Plus it sounds like he's walking through snow no matter what the ground texture is.

Is there a skill that I'll eventually unlock that will quiet the footsteps?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I hadn't played this in a few months and just put it in and uhhh my raven is missing?

If I press up on the d-pad in game nothing happens. Doesn't even say "raven not available" or anything. Just...nothing happens. I've gone into the menus and d-pad up works fine so the button press is registering.

I tried fast traveling around, exiting and closing the game and restarting, etc... and nothing seems to reset/fix this. Has it just been so long since I've played this I've forgotten how to call my raven?

Everything else seems to be working fine, but without the raven I feel like this would be a difficult game to continue/finish. I'm 63 hours in with about half the map done.

I guess I could try uninstalling the whole game and reinstalling it.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't played this in a few months and just put it in and uhhh my raven is missing?

If I press up on the d-pad in game nothing happens. Doesn't even say "raven not available" or anything. Just...nothing happens. I've gone into the menus and d-pad up works fine so the button press is registering.

I tried fast traveling around, exiting and closing the game and restarting, etc... and nothing seems to reset/fix this. Has it just been so long since I've played this I've forgotten how to call my raven?

Everything else seems to be working fine, but without the raven I feel like this would be a difficult game to continue/finish. I'm 63 hours in with about half the map done.

I guess I could try uninstalling the whole game and reinstalling it.

I've not heard of a glitch like this, but one thing you might try is going to the stable in your settlement and go to the aviary store. Change the raven skin or buy a new one and see if that helps.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I've not heard of a glitch like this, but one thing you might try is going to the stable in your settlement and go to the aviary store. Change the raven skin or buy a new one and see if that helps.

Thanks! This fixed it.

What happened is that somehow between patches the raven I had been using (some rainbow one I got from maybe Yule festival?) got removed from my inventory and so my raven was unequipped. At the stable in the settlement I was able to just hit equip on the default raven and then had my raven back again. Phew.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I also bought the season pass. Is it recommended to complete the main story before diving into Wrath of the Druids?
I think any time after you've completed the Suthsexe arc is a fine time to do it. It doesn't matter too much as it's self contained and scales to your level. There are new weapons and abilities to get and not much time to use them if you save it for the end.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Does the order of anything matter? I went to Vinland to hunt Gorm, and someone is currently captured.
I feel like they would want to be here. So what would the story be if I rescued them before pursuing Gorm?

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Does the order of anything matter? I went to Vinland to hunt Gorm, and someone is currently captured.
I feel like they would want to be here. So what would the story be if I rescued them before pursuing Gorm?
Everything you can do in the game it'S safe to do them in any order you want.

You're always alone on Vinland.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Finished everything except the Hamtunscire arc.

Cleared the Ireland DLC too, that was fucking awesome. The boss fight was great and the new spear is so fucking overpowered it's insane.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Haha on Vineland it asked me to hunt around to trade and do all this stuff. I just ran around for 5 minutes and found who I needed to assassinate right away with no weapon other than hidden blade.

Hopefully that doesn't lose any exp or exposition. There was supposed to be 3 or 4 camps investigated. It just said they were digging for something. But tells me to leave?

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
It seems my quest to start the Legend of Beowulf DLC is missing now. Ive had the letter to start the quest since very early in the game and now that I've finished the East Anglica arc, I was about to do the Beowulf quest while I was in the area but it disappeared.

I do notice in the store that all my Add-on's say "Installed" but the Beowulf quest just says "Owned." Is there anyway to get that back to "Installed" status? I've also purchased stuff from the Ubisoft Connect store just to see if that makes it reappear but it has not.

Looking online this seems to be a common issue, but the ways that it re-appears are not consistent. I just want to make sure I haven't lost it for good.

Last edited:

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It seems my quest to start the Legend of Beowulf DLC is missing now. Ive had the letter to start the quest since very early in the game and now that I've finished the East Anglica arc, I was about to do the Beowulf quest while I was in the area but it disappeared.

I do notice in the store that all my Add-on's say "Installed" but the Beowulf quest just says "Owned." Is there anyway to get that back to "Installed" status? I've also purchased stuff from the Ubisoft Connect store just to see if that makes it reappear but it has not.

Looking online this seems to be a common issue, but the ways that it re-appears are not consistent. I just want to make sure I haven't lost it for good.
What platform are you on?