• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
So, I beat the game and kept playing and was pleasantly surprised that
you do another quest line that takes you to Vinland which is its own mini area in itself. Kind of neat that is part of the base game (it is, right? I don't have some dlc installed I'm not aware of? Hahah
Ah yeah, that territory. I wouldn't have regarded as a massive spoiler TBH.

Though it would be interesting to see how that ties up at the end of it all considering that
Eivor's grave is in Vinland/Massachusetts

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Having enjoyed the base game immensely... I hate to say this but I just can't get into the Ireland expansion. I guess it's just a matter of being too overly familiar with the game mechanics now, there is no challenge left any more, or any desire to explore landscapes which don't really offer anything different to the England map.

I'm not sure what it is, but Ireland looks a bit drab compared to the other maps in the game too, always quite overcast and raining... which doesn't do the games lighting engine any favours as it looks best in full sunshine.

Oh well. I'll try and push through but the expansions storyline isn't grabbing me either.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Having enjoyed the base game immensely... I hate to say this but I just can't get into the Ireland expansion. I guess it's just a matter of being too overly familiar with the game mechanics now, there is no challenge left any more, or any desire to explore landscapes which don't really offer anything different to the England map.

I'm not sure what it is, but Ireland looks a bit drab compared to the other maps in the game too, always quite overcast and raining... which doesn't do the games lighting engine any favours as it looks best in full sunshine.

Oh well. I'll try and push through but the expansions storyline isn't grabbing me either.

If you don't like the weather, just meditate. The lighting in the game is gorgeous, so I just skip past night time when it gets there.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Just completed the game / order quest
My dad told us the story of Alfred burning the cakes growing up as we lived nearby the location it was meant to have happened, when I saw the cutscene and realised what was happening it was pretty awesome

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Finally got around to this game. So far, it's honestly really nice. It fixes the heavy reliance on the boat I got kind of sick of in Odyssey and the Viking theme is just really amazing. Hoping the good times continue.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of hours into the Ireland DLC and I'm really disappointed with it. Feels like they mailed it in. I'm from Ireland and my hype levels were crazy to finally play a game set in my country.

Turns out it's just a re-tread of the exact same shit we've been doing for nearly 100 hours in the main game. I'll finish it out, but I'm left feeling underwhelmed

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Couple of hours into the Ireland DLC and I'm really disappointed with it. Feels like they mailed it in. I'm from Ireland and my hype levels were crazy to finally play a game set in my country.

Turns out it's just a re-tread of the exact same shit we've been doing for nearly 100 hours in the main game. I'll finish it out, but I'm left feeling underwhelmed

yeah same

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best armor set for a ranged build? I'm planning on doing hunter or predator bows instead of light bows btw.

Oct 27, 2017
Still looking for confirmation if this is bugged or not

I have collected all 11 stone tablets for Excalibur yet 1 pillar remains empty

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Still looking for confirmation if this is bugged or not

I have collected all 11 stone tablets for Excalibur yet 1 pillar remains empty
Could certainly be a bug but are you sure you actually collected them all? I had to go back to one of the caves I thought I'd already cleared because I forgot to pick one up.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else getting a bug on Series X where the game wont save anymore whenever you use quick resume? I'm having to shut down the game and restart to get saves working again

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know, of the 25% off discount to AC Valhalla, 20% 100 club point discount, and $14 discount for the FORWARD code for Ubisoft forward, which of them stack? WOndering whether or not to buy the 100 club point discount.

REW

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of grabbing this through Ubisoft for the PC while it is on sale, does anyone know if I can play this in offline mode through Ubisoft Connect? There will be sometimes in the coming months where I'll have limited internet connectivity, and if I could play offline it would make purchasing this an easier decision. Thanks!

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
These mastery challenges are complete garbage. It's getting torn to shreds on True achievements currently. Some of these objectives are a joke. If you mess up on one single enemy, you have locked yourself out of getting a gold rank on that run.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
These wouldnt be so bad if they let you keep your own stuff, but you have to do them with a build they give you. Heres an example of how ridiculous one of these is. You need to kill a certain amount of enemies by fall damage, fire damage, and parry a certain amount of times. Sometimes your parry sets off fire damage. Say you have fulfilled the amount of enemies you need to set on fire, and you are done with parrying. You have done everything perfectly so far. You then kick an enemy off a ledge, but he hits a wall on the way down. It does not count as fall damage. Youve now locked yourself out of a gold ranking. Time to restart.

Or say you still need parry and only fall damage kills. You go to parry, but it sets off the fire and the fire kills a single enemy. That also locks you out of gold ranking.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Paris DLC looks cool.
And seems like they're gonna have more DLC during the game's second year...

Paris looks more-less exactly like England. But I guess that was to be expected with asset reuse. And just to be clear I have no issues with asset reuse if done properly but if you spend 100h watching at similar assets and then you get DLC set in different country and you still are looking at same assets it becomes issue (at least for me).

Oct 27, 2017
These mastery challenges are complete garbage. It's getting torn to shreds on True achievements currently. Some of these objectives are a joke. If you mess up on one single enemy, you have locked yourself out of getting a gold rank on that run.

oh no…lol. I thought I was done with this game for awhile after just finishing the trophies for the first DLC last week. Now I'm scared after seeing the update and your post.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
oh no…lol. I thought I was done with this game for awhile after just finishing the trophies for the first DLC last week. Now I'm scared after seeing the update and your post.
yeah, ive 100% completed every AC game to date and I cannot think of anything that matches this in difficulty in any of the games. If anyone played Valhalla on easy button mashing, they would need to completely learn the combat system in depth to be able to complete these

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Actually enjoying the mastery stuff, it makes combat something you actually have to think about. Pretty funny they have to add a post-launch filler DLC with arbitrary rules to make its combat semi-engaging lol.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I've only had time to try the very first combat mastery challenge but I liked what I saw. Took a few attempts to get the gold and I liked that it forced me to change up my approach. I'll probably get turned on to mechanics I completely ignored in the main game. We'll see how the rest go.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah...odyssey have one of the worst endings of all time
I mean, it is really bad. Really really bad. Vahalla at least makes sense
Guess we know which ending you got. 😂

I don't mind them taking the Witcher 3 route with the multiple endings but it can be really soul crushing to put that much time into a game and then wind up with a disappointing ending.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
The ending to Odyssey was whatever for me. Maybe it's because I did the Pythagoras line 100 asap. But having the ending be a dinner doesn't 3 feel impactful. And the cult ending was also like, whatever.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm might've changed my mind for the worse regarding the mastery challenges. Failing them because the game bugs out is not fun. Like the stealth ones in particular Eivor will fucking vault a wall and lose anonymity instead of hanging from it. Or jump down next to an enemy instead of letting me perform an air assassination.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm might've changed my mind for the worse regarding the mastery challenges. Failing them because the game bugs out is not fun. Like the stealth ones in particular Eivor will fucking vault a wall and lose anonymity instead of hanging from it. Or jump down next to an enemy instead of letting me perform an air assassination.

have you tried the wolf challenge at Odins Mine yet? You have to hit the weak point and headshot every single enemy. If you miss one, then you can't get gold. But the problem isn't even doing the objective. It's that the enemies will kill each other or themselves by jumping off ledges before you can kill them because the AI is terrible. It's the worst challenge by far.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the Odin's Mine archery challenge is rough. I need three more golds and that's one of them but I decided to save going back to it for last. I also need gold on the Templebrough stealth and archery challenges but I've only attempted those once.

Oct 27, 2017
My gripe with these mastery challenges so far is that there isn't enough leeway for getting gold rank. You literally have to be perfect in some stages which can get a little ridiculous at times with how long the stages are. It's very frustrating to make it through 5 minutes of a level perfectly and then have one miss and have to restart the entire level if you are aiming for gold.