• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else have the message box continually pop up stating there is new content to claim in the addons/owned section of the store? I keep checking but theres nothing there yet the msg keeps popping

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else burst out laughing when after the umpteenth time someone calls Eivor a Dane female Eivor replies "actually I'm Norse", when the VA is clearly Danish?
Other than the Prodigy Easter egg this was probably the funniest moment in the game for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else have the message box continually pop up stating there is new content to claim in the addons/owned section of the store? I keep checking but theres nothing there yet the msg keeps popping

Yes its very annoying! It happens less on my Series X if I resume from Quick Resume.

I've also noticed that the game seems sharper. Like the resolution is higher? Maybe its playing tricks on me/because its an expansion and smaller? But the game seems higher definition and less 'soft'.

Maybe the expansion has some new tricks etc, but having a fun time with it - even though sure its the same 'formula'.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm glad they didn't stick leprechauns in but having just seen a beautiful rainbow, a pot of gold easter egg or something would have been nice.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
DLC was kinda underwhelming, but eh it was more AC so I can't complain. Definitely would've liked more variety in the mysteries, and the story is just kinda whatever.

Hope the next one is better lol

Backers

Apr 10, 2018
Bordeaux, France
Just finished the base game aaaand... that's a game that I love to hate lol
The game had so much great moments lost in a "meh" sea...
Looking forward to buy the DLC as I can't get enough of Eivor, my favourite MC since Edward !

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
This game (and by extension the DLC) is really like eating a whole packet of cookies in one sitting. At first, you're like yum, cookies! then after halfway through you're like... look technically they still taste good but I also feel kinda full and gross and I'm also kinda bored?

it is hilarious they once again had the identity of the cult leader be a 'twist'. It was literally the only person of significance who hadn't shown up in a cutscene for a while lol.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This game (and by extension the DLC) is really like eating a whole packet of cookies in one sitting. At first, you're like yum, cookies! then after halfway through you're like... look technically they still taste good but I also feel kinda full and gross and I'm also kinda bored?

it is hilarious they once again had the identity of the cult leader be a 'twist'. It was literally the only person of significance who hadn't shown up in a cutscene for a while lol.
His silhouette in the Order menu was also unmistakably him. :lol

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished the game, Order included, and just want to get Ravensthorpe to level 6 before I put it away. I only need to upgrade one more building and I'm 700 supplies short. I've done all the major raids so at this point do I just kind of hunt for chests that might contain supplies, or is there a better way to quickly get supplies? I'm not interested in hunting for chests so if so I'm done with this game.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
I've finished the game, Order included, and just want to get Ravensthorpe to level 6 before I put it away. I only need to upgrade one more building and I'm 700 supplies short. I've done all the major raids so at this point do I just kind of hunt for chests that might contain supplies, or is there a better way to quickly get supplies? I'm not interested in hunting for chests so if so I'm done with this game.
You do have to find chests containing supplies. The easiest place to find them is in the raid areas if you did not diligently open small chests while you were there so check your map for small yellow dots in those areas. The next most likely places to find supplies are the small enemy camps along the river that can be raided.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, missed chests in raid areas seems to be the best bet - otherwise it'll come with just naturally exploring the other points in the world and opening chests.

I'll add -- it's not really worth it, unless you are achievement hunting. There isn't even anything special that happens, just the usual 'Town Upgrade' screen and that's it.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the game last night, only to realise I actually finished it 3 days ago and was basically just wrapping up the England plot that goes nowhere these last few hours. What an anti-climatic ending that was.
Didn't Odyssey end the same way? With a character you'd already met and worked with turning out to be their leader, and then you let them go? Clocked that it was the King pretty much the second I looked at the leader's shadowy preview model in the Order menu, couldn't believe they'd have it be so obvious.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 35 hours in, having a decent time. The main story is probably the best of the AC games I've played. It's probably the closest they've come to achieving Witcher 3, which is obviously their goal. I don't like Eivor nearly as much as Kassandra though.

The combat is simple but enjoyable. It looks pretty nice too. Really wish they would just shrink the map in half though. Too much time spent in between points of interest.

this game is fucking long though. I'm more or less mainlining the story and I still see zones that recommend a power level 2-3x times my current level. Hope I can wrap this up by the time ratchet and FF7 come out

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
fuck Ivarr. He killed my boy. I've been wanting to whoop his ass for a while now, glad to get rid of him.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
The pacing of this game is all over the place - quite common in any open-world game - but i find it more severe in this one.

22 hours in I get a tutorial message that says "barred doors can be opened if you find a certain angle" - NO SHIT!

Also Sigurd goes from totally anonymous and unseen to full blown radicalised fanatic from one mission to another.

There is no clear direction for you to take - although there is some kind of "main questline" but they don't point you to it....It feels weird somehow.

Oct 27, 2017
so, I beat the quest
A Brother's Keeper
and I think I completed the game but
The troops are gathering up to fight somewhere against King Edward but I lost track of where that big fight is as there is no quest marker. any ideas?

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
so, I beat the quest
A Brother's Keeper
and I think I completed the game but
The troops are gathering up to fight somewhere against King Edward but I lost track of where that big fight is as there is no quest marker. any ideas?

You need to start the Hamtunscire arc from Randvi back at base, that'll put you on track.

Oct 28, 2017
Raw Materials

So I've done the Raids in the main story, but still need 200 more. Does the Raid side mission help? You only get Foreign Supplies there, however, doesn't seem to be the same thing as raw materials - which I need more of.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Raw Materials

So I've done the Raids in the main story, but still need 200 more. Does the Raid side mission help? You only get Foreign Supplies there, however, doesn't seem to be the same thing as raw materials - which I need more of.
Some of the alliance missions give raw materials as completion rewards. If you haven't finished the story yet that's probably what you're missing. You should have just enough between story rewards and raids.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I finally 100%'d the base game. Every part of it.

And overall, I thought it was really mediocre.

Completing the game was fueled by a desire to see where the overall story is going, and bad case of OCD for the Ubisoft formula. But this game was worse than Odyssey in every single way. It's funny to me that they peeled away from dedicated quests like in Odyssey due to desire to make the game shorter, but it actually ended up taking me more time to 100% this than it did Odyssey.

The characters were boring as hell. I can name several from Odyssey that are significantly more memorable than any from Valhalla. The voice acting was all over the place and lacked any kind of direction whatsoever. And Eivor is awful. At least the female Eivor is. What a huge step down from Kassandra and Bayek.

The twist with
Basim/Loki
is dumb, and makes me extremely unexcited about the next Assassin's Creed game - and it wasn't even a twist because
the obvious as hell voice acting.

The final member of the Order was obvious from the second the entire tree was introduced, and it felt a lot less interesting to take down than Odyssey's. It felt less personal.

The combat was boring and extremely forced into heavy close quarters, the regression of key mechanics like bows/arrow crafting was painful, bringing back the junk like chasing papers across bad parkour mechanics while adding frustrating ones like cairns, annoying explosive barrel hunts and confusing fly agaric puzzles that lead to more brute forcing or googling than really feeling like I understood what I was supposed to do.

The Viking power fantasy just does not make a good game like this. I never felt powerful in a good way in this game. I felt like an asshole. I burned, pillaged, stole, murdered for no good reason most of the time. Odyssey had this disconnect with making grain silos explode too, but it was amplified significantly in Valhalla. I felt less powerful in every way compared to Kassandra, too.

The story was overall anti-climactic and feels like I am going to need to buy and play the DLC to get closure. Odyssey had that problem too, but even it felt a bit more conclusive at the end of the base game. The world events were wildly inconsistent and I think I may be able to remember like 3-5 of them at max.

Give Assassin's Creed back to the Odyssey/Immortals Fenyx Rising team, because they are much better at making the kind of Assassin's Creed game that Ubisoft wants to produce these days. Let the Origins/Valhalla team do something new and different instead.

If I have to hear "Yggdrasil, the World Tree" or "GOD LOVES ME" from an attacking enemy one more time I may just scream.

And if we have to play as Basim/Loki in the next AC game I am gonna be so damn disappointed. Fuck that guy.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Firing up for tomorrow.

Wut. No controller preset?
I prefer legacy with trigger to climb, and X to
Light Y to heavy. Had to do that for Origins and Odyssey.

And is quality targeting 30, or dynamic for 60? I'll likely go performance for that butter on Series X.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Firing up for tomorrow.

Wut. No controller preset?
I prefer legacy with trigger to climb, and X to
Light Y to heavy. Had to do that for Origins and Odyssey.

And is quality targeting 30, or dynamic for 60? I'll likely go performance for that butter on Series X.
I opted for the sweet 60fps. Annoying occasional screen tearing, especially around Jorvik and Winchestre, I love it.

I so want a 60fps patch for Odyssey. But it'll never happen.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Game is on sale, and I know I should always opt to buy on PC first but I am hearing that the game actually works better on PS5 then Windows 10....

Not sure if that statement is still true today, but I have a pretty beefy PC so I am debating which platform to buy on. Too bad it's not on steam....

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game last night, only to realise I actually finished it 3 days ago and was basically just wrapping up the England plot that goes nowhere these last few hours. What an anti-climatic ending that was.
Didn't Odyssey end the same way? With a character you'd already met and worked with turning out to be their leader, and then you let them go? Clocked that it was the King pretty much the second I looked at the leader's shadowy preview model in the Order menu, couldn't believe they'd have it be so obvious.
Nah...odyssey have one of the worst endings of all time
I mean, it is really bad. Really really bad. Vahalla at least makes sense

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
So I started this some time ago and made my way to Cent while doing all the areas in order according to their level requirements. The episodic structure is not quite my cup of tea, but I can see that it fits itself well when you take longer breaks during your playthrough.

I did the
First Asgard section
over the weekend and it was really awesome. Wish that the balance between this and the main quest was a little more even. More of the former, less of the latter.

Overall I do like the game very much, but I can see it wearing thin, especially after taking a look at the sheer number of the areas still to come. I played and finished every mainline AC and will finish this too, but I cannot guarantee that I will not take a break at some point.

Anyway, the game sometimes makes me think of the 360 games Viking: Battle for Asgard, and the much hated Too Human (which I DID like at the time).

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I finally 100%'d the base game. Every part of it.

And overall, I thought it was really mediocre.

Completing the game was fueled by a desire to see where the overall story is going, and bad case of OCD for the Ubisoft formula. But this game was worse than Odyssey in every single way. It's funny to me that they peeled away from dedicated quests like in Odyssey due to desire to make the game shorter, but it actually ended up taking me more time to 100% this than it did Odyssey.

The characters were boring as hell. I can name several from Odyssey that are significantly more memorable than any from Valhalla. The voice acting was all over the place and lacked any kind of direction whatsoever. And Eivor is awful. At least the female Eivor is. What a huge step down from Kassandra and Bayek.

The twist with
Basim/Loki
is dumb, and makes me extremely unexcited about the next Assassin's Creed game - and it wasn't even a twist because
the obvious as hell voice acting.

The final member of the Order was obvious from the second the entire tree was introduced, and it felt a lot less interesting to take down than Odyssey's. It felt less personal.

The combat was boring and extremely forced into heavy close quarters, the regression of key mechanics like bows/arrow crafting was painful, bringing back the junk like chasing papers across bad parkour mechanics while adding frustrating ones like cairns, annoying explosive barrel hunts and confusing fly agaric puzzles that lead to more brute forcing or googling than really feeling like I understood what I was supposed to do.

The Viking power fantasy just does not make a good game like this. I never felt powerful in a good way in this game. I felt like an asshole. I burned, pillaged, stole, murdered for no good reason most of the time. Odyssey had this disconnect with making grain silos explode too, but it was amplified significantly in Valhalla. I felt less powerful in every way compared to Kassandra, too.

The story was overall anti-climactic and feels like I am going to need to buy and play the DLC to get closure. Odyssey had that problem too, but even it felt a bit more conclusive at the end of the base game. The world events were wildly inconsistent and I think I may be able to remember like 3-5 of them at max.

Give Assassin's Creed back to the Odyssey/Immortals Fenyx Rising team, because they are much better at making the kind of Assassin's Creed game that Ubisoft wants to produce these days. Let the Origins/Valhalla team do something new and different instead.

If I have to hear "Yggdrasil, the World Tree" or "GOD LOVES ME" from an attacking enemy one more time I may just scream.

And if we have to play as Basim/Loki in the next AC game I am gonna be so damn disappointed. Fuck that guy.

You perfectly summed up my feelings on the game. Even though I'd be even harsher on it. I even think Odyssey looks better even though it's older. What's with the AWFUL clipping everywhere ? Beards, hoods, capes... Everything clips.

Most characters look bad. The facial animations are terrible. Animations are awful in general. Just look at the way Randvi moves. She has the body language of a man.

They didn't bother giving female Eivor custom animations.
They did in Odyssey for Kassandra and they even did the mocap twice for her to emote differently
The AI is godawful and buggy. I've had so many bugs.
The side quests don't even exist anymore.

In Odyssey, every single dialogue triggered a cutscene. In Valhalla you often have awful stilted dialogues with no camera work and placeholder animations.

I don't know what happened to this game.

Origins was very polished, full of life and details. Odyssey was full of quality content and knew what it was going for.

This one is a confused, buggy and bloated game.

It's almost like they cut the budget on this one. It feels more like a B-team game than Odyssey which actually was that.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Valhalla just feels like they were stretched too thin. Basically the ultimate expression of quantity over quality in a series that had repeatedly faced that issue. You could cut some of the areas that aren't England/Norway and not lose much from the game. Or even some of the regions in England since a lot of the story arcs are immediately forgettable. Then some of those resources could then be put into less but more detailed areas, and focus on the interesting arcs.

Oct 27, 2017
So, I beat the game and kept playing and was pleasantly surprised that
you do another quest line that takes you to Vinland which is its own mini area in itself. Kind of neat that is part of the base game (it is, right? I don't have some dlc installed I'm not aware of? Hahah