• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the North is way too good to only play in Norway. I think it might be the best song in the series, better than Ezio's Family.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
May I ask what things you thought were fixed coming from Odyssey?
Odyssey felt like a collection of systems and ideas with no glue to it. The structure of this game is just much more coherent, with how regional subquests tie into the main quest and these are a lot better than Odyssey's side chains that were rarely more than busywork.

I also just don't think Odyssey's RPG mechanics were any good. The itemization and loot aspect was never satisfying and Valhalla focusing on unique items that you upgrade is a significant improvement. Valhalla knows it's an action game with light RPG elements and is the better game for it.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Could someone give me a few thoughts - can be very simple - but if you have limited time and want to make your way through Watch Dogs Legion and this game (and appreciate thoughts only if you have actually played both games) - which one would you start with? I want to play both, but no way to play them at the same time. I can play on console or PC - got a month of the ubi+ on PC and have the XSX disc of AC:Valhalla coming in the mail.

My instinct is to play WD:Legion first because I have read it is shorter, and I am guessing Valhalla is entire-life consuming levels of long like most AC games. I typically juggle a few things at a time, but no way I can do two Ubi open worlders at once without burning out. Any thoughts? I played about an hour of Legion and so far seems good. Have held off starting Valhalla until I can get some impressions.

Thanks!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
My instinct is to play WD:Legion first because I have read it is shorter, and I am guessing Valhalla is entire-life consuming levels of long like most AC games. I typically juggle a few things at a time, but no way I can do two Ubi open worlders at once without burning out. Any thoughts? I played about an hour of Legion and so far seems good. Have held off starting Valhalla until I can get some impressions.
I'm 8 hours into Valhalla and haven't even hit the main title. Granted, I've been running around doing sidequests and grabbing treasure, but still. Feels like it's gonna be a big game.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Odyssey felt like a collection of systems and ideas with no glue to it. The structure of this game is just much more coherent, with how regional subquests tie into the main quest and these are a lot better than Odyssey's side chains that were rarely more than busywork.

I also just don't think Odyssey's RPG mechanics were any good. The itemization and loot aspect was never satisfying and Valhalla focusing on unique items that you upgrade is a significant improvement. Valhalla knows it's an action game with light RPG elements and is the better game for it.

I completely agree with all of this, especially the loot. Makes finding stuff much more meaningful.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Could someone give me a few thoughts - can be very simple - but if you have limited time and want to make your way through Watch Dogs Legion and this game (and appreciate thoughts only if you have actually played both games) - which one would you start with? I want to play both, but no way to play them at the same time. I can play on console or PC - got a month of the ubi+ on PC and have the XSX disc of AC:Valhalla coming in the mail.

Thanks!

I couldn't stand Legion for more than a few hours. The gameplay is just so generic and dull. The driving is by far the worst in any game I have ever played. Don't even get me started on the story and voice acting.

Valhalla is fucking good so far. The story is interesting. The combat is fun, and they added a few little touches to it that make it better than Odyssey like weakpoints when aiming.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues with HDR on Series X, try this: turn HDR off, launch the game and adjust your brightness and contrast, then close it, turn HDR back on, launch, and adjust your HDR settings. I'm using 1000 nits and 0.0 exposure and it looks way better (still might not be perfect though, I haven't seen any dark blacks to tell if I'm getting any crush)

Last edited:

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Really enjoying this on PC. Will definitely keep me busy until CP2077.

Just spent some time trying to escape damn bears on my lovely mountain pass horse ride, scary fuckers!

KM50cN2.jpg

fUONJfY.jpg

ZIzqyht.jpg

ehKTlWw.jpg

9zQj0tS.jpg

Sorry to my trusty horse, had to make a run for a cliff once they mauled me off it.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't started yet, but can you go back to Norway after leaving for England? Wanna make sure there are no missable quests and such 😅

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Really enjoying this on PC. Will definitely keep me busy until CP2077.

Just spent some time trying to escape damn bears on my lovely mountain pass horse ride, scary fuckers!

Sorry to my trusty horse, had to make a run for a cliff once they mauled me off it.
The AI in this game needs tweaking, can fight Wolves no problem, I ran into those polar bears and had to run for my life...

origummy

Sep 24, 2018
So is the consensus that HDR is hit or miss on Series X? The game looks amazing in the daytime but at nighttime things seem to blur together a bit and I don't always have the easiest time seeing my character in the environment. It just looks a bit too dark, even for night!

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Man this is not a game to use to show off a new system.

My first game at 4k and I feel like Odyssey at 1440p on my PC was better looking.

Oct 28, 2017
About 3 hours in and enjoying it so far on my new Series X however....

This screen tearing is the worst I've seen in years. It's horrible and very distracting. Can they not fix it? I don't have a 120hz tv or VRR so that isn't an option.

I'd settle for a lower or even dynamic resolution if that's what it takes to get rid of it.

Only disappointing part of the game so far for me, but it is a big disappointment.

Oct 25, 2017
I really dig the soundtrack and how it's implemented. I loved the OSTs for Odyssey and Origins, but I think this tops both for me. I'll if I still feel the same after a hundred hours or so.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I took a break for a few hours and went to play Destiny 2 on series x. Came back to valhalla and played for an hour. Then checked all the auto saves it had made and all were corrupted. I had something glitch so I had to reload a save. So I had to go back to the moment I loaded the game from the quick resume. So I guess just never quick resume valhalla.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I've been lucky as far as bugs go. I've had a couple of audio glitches, a graphical glitch with Eivor's cloak on a loading screen, and a single CTD in a dozen-ish hours.

edit: and controller vibration got stuck on after sliding down a mountain once.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm enjoying the game so far, but I think the loot/gear system is a serious downgrade. I'm 12 hours in and the only piece of new armor I got, aside from your starting set, is a pair of bracers. I've looted a couple of weapons, but no (2-handed) swords I'd like to use, nor any bows (at least two other types exist if I'm not mistaken).

Odyssey's waterfall of loot wasn't perfect perhaps. But at least it provided me with options, even when I limited myself to a particular look or playstyle. Valhalla takes it way too far into the other direction. Any time I spot a big yellow dot and I hope it's something cool, it usually turns out to be another ingot. Such a buzz kill.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
lmao I finished buying from a merchant then I couldn't move. I was frozen in place. Had to fast travel to fix it. This game definitely needed more time for bug squashing.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've played close to 20 hours and I like this game but I do not like it as much as Odyssey and Origins. I think Origins had the best setting of the three games. I miss the ship elements that were in Odyssey, the ship combat, I liked Cassandra more as a character, I thought the story was generally more intriguing. As for the combat, I am not really sure whether I prefer this or Odyssey more.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just recently dropped The Witcher 3, I can't tell you how buttery smooth Valhalla feels. The movement, combat and menu navigation are all snappy and don't feel like I'm being held back by lag.

Yeah, the game's buggy but I'm finding it charming, lol. Enjoying this a lot so far. First AC game too!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
About 3 hours in and enjoying it so far on my new Series X however....

This screen tearing is the worst I've seen in years. It's horrible and very distracting. Can they not fix it? I don't have a 120hz tv or VRR so that isn't an option.

I'd settle for a lower or even dynamic resolution if that's what it takes to get rid of it.

Only disappointing part of the game so far for me, but it is a big disappointment.
This is me. I'm enjoying it but damn there's some serious screen tearing going on almost every 10 seconds on Series X. It takes me out of cutscenes and gameplay.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 8 hours into Valhalla and haven't even hit the main title. Granted, I've been running around doing sidequests and grabbing treasure, but still. Feels like it's gonna be a big game.
I couldn't stand Legion for more than a few hours. The gameplay is just so generic and dull. The driving is by far the worst in any game I have ever played. Don't even get me started on the story and voice acting.

Valhalla is fucking good so far. The story is interesting. The combat is fun, and they added a few little touches to it that make it better than Odyssey like weakpoints when aiming.
Ok thanks guys - I think I will give Legion another hour or two and see if it grabs me before diving into this mainly because of how long/expansive this game seems to be - I know it will eventually just be all consuming on my gaming time (in a good way!!) and I do have a few other things I want to play first. If Legion doesn't feel fun in a few hours I will put it aside and move on to this along with Yakuza 7. That Ubi+ is useful to try stuff, that's for sure.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Later in the game there's some wannabe witcher 3 quests with investigations + odin's vision.

I *think* I'm in the last 25% of the game. Pretty much just hunting the order. Did the big dream missions and I've annexed most of the land.

How am I so far? I'm on PC and I've put in a 4x XP multiplier because otherwise the recommended power far exceeds the xp they give you with the main missions and a couple dozen raids. Like the previous titles they've made XP into a grind and I'm assuming they are monetizing xp boosters again.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get loot complaints to be honest. If we cut useless loot you get at every corner in Odyssey you get more-less same system that is in Valhalla. Best loot in Odyssey (one that is actually worth something) was either given too you after certain quests or you had to go and find it by exploring. Rest of the loot, like 95% of it was worthless pile of garbage that players sold or dismantled as soon as they could.

But I guess I am kinda different and less loot is not bothering me at all, because after all I played and finished Witcher 3 with outfit you have at the beginning of the game because I liked how it looked so I never changed it.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
pretty annoyed right now you get only access to raven armor until way into the game. I went and explored a level 90 area, currently at 75 power, and I just found another set of raven gear instead of the bear armor I was looking for.

Feels bad to invest in the melee tree when all the gear nodes go to waste.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Nothing kills hype faster than being forced to log in to a single player game and then the password doesn't work and you get locked out and can't play your own game cool cool cool

How long am I locked out for? Edit: looks like 90 minutes... Sigh

Are you using uplay directly?

I've had so much fucking bullshit with uplay. At one point it wouldn't let me actually setup 2 factor and it gave me a damn jpeg image of like 8 codes that each expired on each use and after so many weeks my device would lose trust.

So I don't use uplay directly anymore. Garbage store with more security than a bank with bugged implementation.