• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only about an hour or so in...does this game address the whole Viking Raider/Invader thing? Or do they frame the Vikings as heroic and noble?

xem

Oct 31, 2017
I agree with this.
So far this feels like the best AC game in many years, and I quite liked both Oranges and Odyssey.
best AC game IMO since Black Flag. Loving the settlement and raids. world feels really nice. I played about 10hrs of Odyssey (got on sale this year) and stopped because i didnt want to get burned out before playing Valhalla. Definitely in love with this game. 1000 hrs inc

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I've played about an hour or so on XSX. I am not impressed. The graphics look dated. I'm using a 1080p TV, but 4K would only emphasise the ugly character models and interiors. Also, the compact feels really bad and clunky. Admittedly, the last two games I've played have been God of War and TLoU2, so maybe that has coloured my view. Still, I'm not impressed so far. Hopefully, it gets better, a lot better.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
I've played about an hour or so on XSX. I am not impressed. The graphics look dated. I'm using a 1080p TV, but 4K would only emphasise the ugly character models and interiors. Also, the compact feels really bad and clunky. Admittedly, the last two games I've played have been God of War and TLoU2, so maybe that has coloured my view. Still, I'm not impressed so far. Hopefully, it gets better, a lot better.

The game actually really shines in 4k

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I really hope that Ubisoft considers reducing the scope and size of the games in the near future. I much prefer a 25-35 hours game with not sooooo many things to do and collect but much more polished and satisfying (like Tsushima or Horizon) than a 10294050km2 map and that janky feeling that these RPG AC have: poor IA, clunky animations, chaotic combat, so many narrative slumps, etc.
The series sort of lost its identity so I think a tailored city/cities with a tight story concept are over. They are now long, bloated RPG lite games.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I picked it up on EGS and it won't even launch.

Not sure what's wrong.

Edit: I guess I didn't have Ubisoft Connect installed, oops!

Last edited:

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
best AC game IMO since Black Flag. Loving the settlement and raids. world feels really nice. I played about 10hrs of Odyssey (got on sale this year) and stopped because i didnt want to get burned out before playing Valhalla. Definitely in love with this game. 1000 hrs inc
Only 4 hours in but I agree based on what I saw so far.
Thing to note is that Kassandra was a real high point of Odyssey, one of the best protags is the series IMO, but this seems more interesting in other aspects.
I just wish Valhalla wasn't released in such a rough state.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
9 hours in. Its really boring so far. Meh gfx, bad audio, clunky ass combat. Big pile of jank. Music is the only part worth praising

Last edited:

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Only 4 hours in but I agree based on what I saw so far.
Thing to note is that Kassandra was a real high point of Odyssey, one of the best protags is the series IMO, but this seems more interesting in other aspects.
I just wish Valhalla wasn't released in such a rough state.
Yeah Kassandra was fantastic. Eivor is fine so far, but it's difficult to match Kassandra.

I really appreciate that they made the exploration more of an actual exploration. You now need to pay attention to quest givers, and have to look for a way to reach most treasure. Just spent 15 minutes figuring out how to get to a treasure and got rewarded with a unique helmet, as well as the satisfaction of figuring out the puzzle.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Combat was my main concern too, preview footage wasn't great. In the end I think it's because A.I. hasn't seen improvements in the past few years and janky animations.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Pretty underwhelmed so far, I hate the gear system, I feel like every weapon is the same, like there is no progression, I dont know what to upgrade and I feel like these upgrades are worthless. Only have 2 skills now so combat is insanely boring. Im not a fan of exploration, I find the dots so vague and the rewards are not here. The structure feels weird, Im only trying to make first alliance and Im so bored of the missions tied to it already. Think I am just gonna sell this, Odyssey worked much better for me.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man I dumped 7 hours into this last night in one sitting. I found every collectible and did all the side missions before going back to your home town. I stopped there, but I'm about to jump back it. I skipped Odyssey because I played Origins only two months before it came out and I was burnt out on the formula, but this got me back in baby.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Actor for Cnut voices Male Eivor
cnut_the_last_kingdom-5.jpg

You're fucking kidding me!

That's so cool! He is great in the series!

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Help me, guys.

As a long time AC fan who didn't exactly loved Odyssey because of how bloated it was, is this game worth paying full price?
I think so. They definitely scaled back on the bloat. Few side quests and they are way shorter. Though if you are looking for a game length comparable to the original games....that's definitely not happening. The world is massive. Though, it's very interesting to explore. I also like the return to the medieval aesthetic.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Help me, guys.

As a long time AC fan who didn't exactly loved Odyssey because of how bloated it was, is this game worth paying full price?

It's apparently even lengthier than Odyssey, but at the very least it's not significantly shorter in any real way. It seems like they've replaced the massive amounts of side quests with a massive amount of main quests instead, and there's still the typical deluge of icons to uncover.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
I think so. They definitely scaled back on the bloat. Few side quests and they are way shorter. Though if you are looking for a game length comparable to the original games....that's definitely not happening. The world is massive. Though, it's very interesting to explore. I also like the return to the medieval aesthetic.
It's a true return to form - most long time AC fans seem to enjoy it.
It's apparently even lengthier than Odyssey, but at the very least it's not significantly shorter in any real way. It seems like they've replaced the massive amounts of side quests with a massive amount of main quests instead, and there's still the typical deluge of icons to uncover.
I see, thanks! I really don't mind big worlds since if it is rewarding to explore. My main gripe with Odyssey was the insane amount of tedious sidequests and somewhat meh exploration. The game itself was beautiful but a bit of a drag to explore. I much prefer this approach of ''world mysteries'' and stuff than ''go to X and talk to Y then kill some dudes" every single time.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I dont really like the raiding also. It becomes to messy combat wise with like everyone in big battles. Hard to see sometimes who is who.
You cant really have fun combat in it.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe they removed that feature, could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that.
I don't see what the point of scouting with the raven is anymore. From above I'm not able to distinguish any enemies from the ground, so all camps just look empty to me.
Well that blows. There's really no point in the raven mehhh.
There is an upgrade in the Hunter Skill Tree (blue) where you will automatically sense enemies when you get within a certain proximity of them.
Ahh, gotcha. Will try that once I unlock it.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Loving the game so far. Question for those doing everything in Norway. Of the 2 areas it looks like one is way higher level, have yly had success doing the mysteries in the higher area or should I just move on and come back?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Loving the game so far. Question for those doing everything in Norway. Of the 2 areas it looks like one is way higher level, have yly had success doing the mysteries in the higher area or should I just move on and come back?
I found it easy to avoid combat in the higher level area and still do the few mysteries that aren't blocked by desync walls.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to see a comparison between the ps5 and series X versions of this. Depending on the dual sense implementation I might want to go with that version.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I was really enjoying this game, but the more hours I start putting into it, the more the jank really shows. The camera in combat is so zoomed out I have no clue what I can parry, what to dodge, since I can't see the colors. The combat also just feels off. I took out an encampment just using my bow and I pretty much just use that most of the time now. I bought this from GameStop and I think they have that option where I can return it and I may just do that.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I was really enjoying this game, but the more hours I start putting into it, the more the jank really shows. The camera in combat is so zoomed out I have no clue what I can parry, what to dodge, since I can't see the colors. The combat also just feels off. I took out an encampment just using my bow and I pretty much just use that most of the time now. I bought this from GameStop and I think they have that option where I can return it and I may just do that.
I mean AC games have extremely poor AI so I'm not surprised.

This is a clip I took from Odyssey:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Help me, guys.

Dont know if we can post the Skillup review here. It is super detailed and very well done though and based upon it I would likely say no (he played both games to completion and compared them). Seems like the game peaks in the beginning and then the monotony kicks in. Longer than odyssey without some of the hooks odyssey had.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh the Twitch Drops Ship pack looks pretty nice based on the screenshot.
000059743_engb_BloodEagle.png

Guess i need to watch some twitch streamer with drops activated.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I see, thanks! I really don't mind big worlds since if it is rewarding to explore. My main gripe with Odyssey was the insane amount of tedious sidequests and somewhat meh exploration. The game itself was beautiful but a bit of a drag to explore. I much prefer this approach of ''world mysteries'' and stuff than ''go to X and talk to Y then kill some dudes" every single time.
Valhalla has a lot more of the latter based on my 15 hours with the game compared to Odyssey.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Am I missing something or, are there no "safe" jumps from sync points? Every AC game, you get to a sync point, and then jump into a haybale or something, landing safely. In this game, every time I get to a sync point, it just forces me to jump way down onto the ground, losing a ton of health. That doesn't seem right.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing i dont like, there dont seem to be any 1-Hand Swords. Just 2handed ones. At least theres a Skill to dualwield these anyway.