• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I think the DualSense is going to be end up being the biggest differentiator for a lot of people.

Yeah, it's probably the game changer for me after using it, just an amazing piece of technology. If a game doesn't implement it I might opt for the Series X version or if the performance is vastly better but I have a feeling that won't happen often. Of course this is the start of the gen so who knows. I just hope devs continue to implement the DS because it's so good.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
so just FYI.

Even though the narration says no tearing on PS5, the scene accompanying has a text message indicating that he did notice some tearing in a cut-scene after recording the video.

12332192krs.jpg

So the PS5 version likely also tears but not as much as the XBSX based on if it got overlooked by NXG.

Maybe PS5 only tears in cut-scenes and is fully V-Synced in game play.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
So is it just me or does the cutscene starting at 5:12 look significantly worse on the Series X?

TvXbRMc.png

Seems like a difference in texture quality, not just resolution. Hopefully digital foundry goes more in-depth with their analysis.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So is it just me or does the cutscene starting at 5:12 look significantly worse on the Series X?

TvXbRMc.png

Seems like a difference in texture quality, not just resolution. Hopefully digital foundry goes more in-depth with their analysis.

That entire cutscene looks clearly sharper on the PS5. The lighting is slightly better too, just look at the highlights, especially on the characters foreheads and skin etc.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020

TvXbRMc.png

Yeh I saw that too but I didn't want to say it cause I'm not sure what exactly is going on there technically.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So far the comparisons have been what I expected given the small spec difference between the two. I think year 2 and year 3 games will start showing each systems advantage, but I never thought crossgen games would show the small hardware difference. The bloodbath some were expecting always seem unrealistic.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
Really not a good look for the Series S, running only at 30FPS instead of the 60FPS, since it is supposed to be a console that is playing games like the SX just in lower resolution. But the difference here is much more than that.

the idea to start with that all ps5 ans sx games were going to be native 4k was flawed ... so when a series X game dynamically drops rez to 1080p ... if you are a game dev do you want the game dropping to 480p on S? or do you aim for 30fps and hold rez drops to something more acceptable? .. id bet in most cases they choose the later because no one wants that screen shot that makes a game look worse than last gen

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Either the differences are due to tod which i doubt, or something is wrong with his capture. Just watched this on yt on series x and it looks very different than his footage.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd honestly rather have less screen tearing then that random 1 FPS gain every now and then. Also the game just looks sharper on PS5. Especially in that cutscene. I could see it on my phone and it's even more noticeable on a 4k TV. Not sure why it would do that though unless the Xbox is having to drop to a lower dynamic res to hold 60fps? Very odd. If it does indeed use adaptive triggers and haptics I feel happy about going for the PS5 version.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Feels good to finally have my TV get an update for VRR recently. So whether it's small frame drops or screen tearing, I'm not covered. I hate screen tearing.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
This is where having a TV that has HDMI 2.1 with VRR is important because it should remedy the screen tearing issue on Xbox Series X. I have been playing Valhalla on the Series X on my LG CX and have not experienced any screen tearing probably because of VRR.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

TvXbRMc.png

Yes, but that could just be textures not fully loaded in for that frame.

Cosmic

Jan 7, 2018
Same. It absolutely destroys games for me.
Same for me, If a game has bad tearing I normally give it a miss. Nothing more immersion breaking than having torn frames all over the place. We wouldn't accept it for movies and it really shouldn't be acceptable in games with the options that are available. Especially when games are as expensive as they are. I appreciate that developing is difficult but having a game tear should literally be a last resort, drop the res if you have to or give people the option of enabling VSync if they would rather take the hit. Luckily my TV has VRR and the cut scenes don't tear for me at all and maybe only seen it once in gameplay in about 10 hours, that being said it shouldn't be there at all.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Is the median resolution really higher on PS5? maybe that's why it's slighly sharper or it's just a bad capture on Series X

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Too much of a pain in the ass to return my copy to amazon so I guess I'll just stick to the series x version for now. If this is how it's gonna be for the foreseeable future, ms should get their api or gdk's shit together and fast. Tearing is a massive pet peeve and it looks worse from a image quality perspective based off some screenshots in this thread (worse lighting).

Last edited:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Too much of a pain in the ass to return my copy to amazon so I guess I'll just stick to the series x version for now. If this is how it's gonna be for the foreseeable future, ms should get their api or gdk's shit together and fast. They don't have the exclusives so if multiplats games are running better on PS5, then that's not a good look at all. I'm going ps5 for multiplats from now, especially after feeling how good the dualsense is. Such a shame and super frustrating, but don't want to be burned again. Tearing is a massive pet peeve and it clearly looks worse from a image quality perspective (worse lighting).

I feel like this is such an overreaction. Like, the two versions are so similar that you're perfectly fine with either of them. I'm not sure either console is "running this game better".

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Videos don't do the game justice imo, watched a friend play it's really nice looking.