• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
PS5:
Dynamic 4K 60fps
Fully vsynced
Drops a frame occasionally

Xbox Series X:
Dynamic 4K 60fps
Adaptive vsync - screen tears occasionally

Last edited:

xem

Oct 31, 2017
He says he hasnt seen PS5 tear. I def have in cutscenes. XSX drops down to 1440p. Hasnt seen PS5 go that low yet

Performance

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
- Series S runs at dynamic 1440p/30 FPS
- Series X and PS5 target 60 FPS. Both have small drops.
- Series X has adaptive V Sync and tears when under stress.
- PS5 is fully V Synced, no tearing but can skip a frame when stressed.
- Regardless, they are damn near identical in terms of performance.

- Series X and PS5 both target dynamic 4K.
- Both rarely hold 2160p. More often than not 1620p to 1800p.
- Rare drops of 1440p seen on Series X. Lowest on PS5 observed 1620p.

- Series X has 1% or two higher avg frame rate in cut-scenes.
- Otherwise they are damn near identical.
- PS5 has 12% advantage in loading (which realistically translates to 1~ sec 'advantage')

Edit:

PS5 version also likely has some tearing as mentioned in the text blurb in the part of the video where NXGamer narrates that there is no tearing on that version:

12332192krs.jpg

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nice PS5 framerate although i would like to see more later areas and fights tested.

Probably getting this on PS5 instead of my PC.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they're pretty much identical. Good news for PS5 to be honest.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 version definitely tears. I've seen it mostly in cutscenes but it happens in gameplay sometimes too.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of a crossgen AC title, I would argue it's a far better showing than Black Flag was back in 2013.

Now, the question is will the follow up go full Unity and target above what is possible on the consoles lol

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Not enough like for like comparisons, and ps5 version also tears by the look of the OT. Gonna wait for DF with that one.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Fantastic stuff from NX Gamer as always! I look forward to seeing a Next gen and PC exclusive Assassin's Creed game, like 2014's Assassin's Creed Unity!

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Looks as expected. Basically the same thing. Most multiplats will be as well early on. Things can change when devs better learn these machines though. Or they may not lol. Basically choosing one machine over another based on graphical differences in multiplats is pointless

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Not enough like for like comparisons, and ps5 version also tears by the look of the OT. Gonna wait for DF with that one.
Fantastic stuff from NX Gamer as always!

This place is peerless lol.

PS5 version for me then...I'll take frame drops over image tearing any day of the week.

If the PS5 has DualSense support then it's a no brainer IMO. DualSense is making me rethink my entire multiplat strategy, which used to be strictly tied to my PC.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of a crossgen AC title, I would argue it's a far better showing than Black Flag was back in 2013.

Now, the question is will the follow up go full Unity and target above what is possible on the consoles lol

Doubtful. Whatever's next will likely be built on Anvil that they've been refining all gen. Unity was an overstep and their first game on Anvil as they shot for the moon.

Oct 27, 2017

- Both rarely hold 2160p. More often than not 1620p and 1800p.

- PS5 has 12% advantage in loading (which realistically translates to 1~ sec 'advantage')
I'm telling you, PS5 is going to punch above its weight performance-wise. A lot of custom logic/accelerators offloading cycles from the CPU will definitely help in streaming-engine, open-world type games, especially with regard to I/O-based data streaming. That is where PS5 is really a beast.

Most of the time, PS5 and XSX are going to perform and look near identical, especially in third party games.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh. I bought on serie x but how come ps5 seems to have a higher median resolution ?

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're the same. They're basically identical barring the tiniest, tiniest of differences.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Remember that time when people were fighting over "4K AT/AND 60FPS" ?
Lol, I wish I had a time machine to go back and post this

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
As many people predicted the differences are extremely minor. PS5 and XSX are very similar in terms of GPU and CPU performance.

Personally i expected slighty better resolution from XSX.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017

- Both rarely hold 2160p. More often than not 1620p to 1800p.

I need that one sec advantage.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Well well well, would you look at that. It's almost like everyone who said the difference is tiny was right, hmmmm. Funny.

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
Playing on Series X and I ONLY encounter tearing while in villlages etc... never out exploring or fighting

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Can't believe the graphics are getting praised, this looks like shit

xXVKz8f.png

yes I know the video is still 360p, ain't I a little stinker

Also mentions btw that the game likely uses temporal reconstruction on top of the dynamic res, basically halving the res of one axis then reconstructing it up. That would explain (in part) why even 3080/90's aren't reaching 60 fps consistently at 4k, the PC version is not a great port by any means but that's a heck of a lot more pixels to push than an aggressive dynamic scaler + temporal upscale.

Still it's yet another argument for how 'native' resolution really doesn't matter in the age of reconstruction. I've seen plenty of Series X screenshots and if it is temporal, it works damn well - same as with Demons Souls, where I really have to squint and zoom in to see the diff with its performance mode and the native 4k one.