• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
What camp are you talking about?

On the first island there's only one guy fixed at level 5 and it's the Mercenary (Talos or something) hunting you. You're supposed to evade him until you're strong enough to face him. If I remember correctly the game literally tells you that. All other enemies scale with you in level, so if they are level 5 then you are level 5 as well and you can one/two-shot them at normal difficulty, especially if you use stealth or archery.
Oh ok, that's kind of interesting. I'll try and keep going to see if I can appreciate it.

The scale is for sure impressive.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for some Viking action!

aE7MP7o_700bwp.webp
Too bad no Canute or the Northsea empire

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Very glad they went with Nordic voice actors for the main characters.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Why did I say Norman conquest when I know well that is a completely different invasion. I mean to say the Norse invasions of Britain, but I can be dumb. (I'm still excited)
More nitpicking (sorry =P though this isn't really aimed at you, just a general rant about the unfortunate influence of popular media) but since this is focused on England we're looking at the Danish invasions, not Norse. But because people are in love with Vikings being from Norway these days, and the Vikings TV show further reinforced this fallacy (and repeatedly shit the bed when it came to historical accuracy) it looks like Ubisoft are saying "If you can't beat them, join them" which is a huge shame. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll show that while Eivor is from Norway, the vast majority of Vikings invading England are from Denmark (hence the Danelaw). That could be a great compromise.

Historically, Norwegian vikings mainly focused on raiding Ireland and Scotland, not England.
One of Odyssey's biggest disappointments were the terrible "battles." That the game completely ignored one of the defining features of Greek warfare with the lack of any kind of shield or phalanx combat was a huge letdown for me. Viking's as well are fairly well known for their shield wall, though contrary to popular depictions they were likely more offensive than defensive, so hopefully with the return of shields we'll see something a bit more accurate in actual gameplay if any kind of skirmish or battle system returns.
Agreed! I always give Ryse: Son of Rome a shout out here. It found a great middle ground of traditionally arcadey free-for-all combat (like Odyssey had) but with plenty of shield formations thrown it at the start of battle sequences, like approaching an enemy force under shield cover for arrow protection, until you were close enough for melee combat. It wasn't historically accurate of course (I can play Total War for formation management!) but it was at least a nice nod towards the importance of battle formations and shield walls, and showed that they can absolutely be a solid gameplay mechanic in action games.

ryse610.jpg

I'd love to see the large battles in Valhalla at least begin with shield walls as two forces collide, before descending into free-for-all madness. And if they can have skill trees dedicated to companions, allowing your character to yell "shield wall!" in the thick of things and have them rush to your side to clear some space and then kick ass for a bit (like an improved version of AC Brotherhood's assassin call skill) then I'll be in love with the game.

giphy.webp

Last edited:

JerryinSoCal

Banned
Apr 10, 2020
Ah that "trick" might explain using a womans name for the man as well. Interesting!

Seriously? "I want the girl to be cannon again just like the last time, it'll make me feel better because some fictional character validated my self worth" The people who keep pushing this stuff need to get out into the real world (one this quarantine is over) and stop living on twitter and online forums trying to constantly get sympathy from others because everything in the world isn't about them and their feelings.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Seriously? "I want the girl to be cannon again just like the last time, it'll make me feel better because some fictional character validated my self worth" The people who keep pushing this stuff need to get out into the real world (one this quarantine is over) and stop living on twitter and online forums trying to constantly get sympathy from others because everything in the world isn't about them and their feelings.
Snowflake alert

JerryinSoCal

Banned
Apr 10, 2020
Very glad they went with Nordic voice actors for the main characters.

They used people of greek ancestry last time and they were terrible, they didn't actually have accents so they had to fake them and it was terribly obvious, they both sounded like cartoon characters, I loved Odyssey but the voice acting was bad all around. Origins had great voice acting, especially Bayek.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Oh ok, that's kind of interesting. I'll try and keep going to see if I can appreciate it.

The scale is for sure impressive.
For what is worth, people sometimes act like Odyssey dropped stealth entirely in favor of melee brawls and the occasional archery, and I can't blame them because the game sort of makes a big deal out of it. But in my opinion the game is at its best, and balanced, when you invest most of your skill points into assassination and the occasional points in melee and especially archery.

My usual play style consists of scouting an enemy camp with my bow (with Ikaros as supernatural backup that I don't want to rely on too much) and planning a route based on my observations to assassinate every single enemy and dispose of their bodies without anyone seeing me. If things go awry I either take care of the enemy with my bow or I flee (or reload) and try again.

I usually switch to nighttime for raids on big forts and the like, for that extra bit of immersion.

Of course you should play the game however you want to play. But as said, I do feel the game easily gives off the wrong impression with all the (melee) weapons and armor you can suddenly loot. When, ironically, melee combat is probably the hardest play style to focus on because it misses the huge burst damage offered by the hunter and especially the assassination trees.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
For what is worth, people sometimes act like Odyssey dropped stealth entirely in favor of melee brawls and the occasional archery, and I can't blame them because the game sort of makes a big deal out of it. But in my opinion the game is at its best, and balanced, when you invest most of your skill points into assassination and the occasional points in melee and especially archery.

My usual play style consists of scouting an enemy camp with my bow (with Ikaros as supernatural backup that I don't want to rely on too much) and planning a route based on my observations to assassinate every single enemy and dispose of their bodies without anyone seeing me. If things go awry I either take care of the enemy with my bow or I flee (or reload) and try again.

I usually switch to nighttime for raids on big forts and the like, for that extra bit of immersion.

Of course you should play the game however you want to play. But as said, I do feel the game easily gives off the wrong impression with all the (melee) weapons and armor you can suddenly loot. When, ironically, melee combat is probably the hardest play style to focus on because it misses the huge burst damage offered by the hunter and especially the assassination trees.
Good breakdown. I didn't play Odyssey so I don't know if it was drastically different, but I played that way in Origins. Almost approached the encampments like I would outposts in MGSV. Obviously the stealth isn't anywhere near that deep, but still the approach was definitely more effective than just storming the gates.

JerryinSoCal

Banned
Apr 10, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility, trolling and insulting other members over concerns of representation across multiple posts and threads + account in junior phase

Nah that would be the people throwing a fit yesterday when they didn't see a female character first lol, you had someone write a 3 paragraph post about female representation in AC. Seriously get out into the real world, I'm a gay man who grew up mostly in the 80's and I had virtually no representation and it didn't matter one bit. When you have people in their teens and twenties pushing each other into believing they are all more important than everyone else and the world revolves around their feelings you are setting them up for failure as adults. They already have more representation than any generation before them and they are crying that it's not all about them and it's sad.

Not only that but these aren't even real people, they are videogame characters they are pure fiction and you aren't being represented by them at all even if it is the same gender, ethnicity or sexuality.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
None of this sounds vastly different from Odyssey . The settlement idea is just the red dead 2 style camp I imagine.

Need to know the world size , Odyssey was already far too bloated and repetitive and if they are doing the bird/scout idea I am out.

God I miss the days of scouting a target from rooftops, hiding in crowds and just doing a 1 stab kill from the start of the game.

I'm kind of with you here. Odyssey's islands all end up looking the same. I really hope this one is scaled back and has far less bloat. And cmon, if I have the hidden blade then that should be a one hit kill.

I also hope we get the equivalent of a spartan kick. Best move in odyssey.

I would be lying if I'm not excited about the setting though.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

And for the gameplay incentives! Guards have sleep schedules, so night time raids mean you deal with fewer patrols. What a fantastic game =)

And I completely agree with you about the assassin skill tree focus. I did the same thing and loved it. The only downside was the enhanced assassination skill, or whatever they called it, where you have to hold down the assassinate button instead of just pressing it. Very finicky if you're trying to assassinate someone while moving! Should have just been a passive damage boost to assassinations.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Nah that would be the people throwing a fit yesterday when they didn't see a female character first lol, you had someone write a 3 paragraph post about female representation in AC. Seriously get out into the real world, I'm a gay man who grew up mostly in the 80's and I had virtually no representation and it didn't matter one bit. When you have people in their teens and twenties pushing each other into believing they are all more important than everyone else and the world revolves around their feelings you are setting them up for failure as adults. They already have more representation than any generation before them and they are crying that it's not all about them and it's sad.

Not only that but these aren't even real people, they are videogame characters they are pure fiction and you aren't being represented by them at all even if it is the same gender, ethnicity or sexuality.
...That's not at all what equal representation is about. Why are you digging this hole for yourself?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, and I cannot stress this enough, boomer.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
What??
I live here, out in in the real world vikings region, and I don't care who's canon in this game, I simply want to understand why the man has been given a womans name.

Unless the website I linked to earlier about name statistics was wrong there are zero men called Eivor in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. I haven't checked all countries but for now it seems like there might not even be one male Eivor out in the real world you're telling me to step out in.

But going by that tweet it sounds like they might have an explanation for this and I find that interesting. Sorry if that bothers you.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
I just started watching Vikings yesterday(coincidentally before I knew the next AC game was based on Vikings)and its kind of funny how similar the trailer is to the first two episodes of Vikings(all i've seen so far). Definitely has me excited. Need some gameplay though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Is 3 paragraphs supposed to be a lot or

JerryinSoCal

Banned
Apr 10, 2020
What??
I live here, out in in the real world vikings region, and I don't care who's canon in this game, I simply want to understand why the man has been given a womans name.

Unless the website I linked to earlier about name statistics was wrong there are zero men called Eivor in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland. I haven't checked all countries but for now it seems like there might not even be one male Eivor out in the real world you're telling me to step out in.

But going by that tweet it sounds like they might have an explanation for this and I find that interesting. Sorry if that bothers you.

I am sorry I should have explained it better, I was talking about the person tweeting not you, I apologize if it came across that way.

JerryinSoCal

Banned
Apr 10, 2020
Is 3 paragraphs supposed to be a lot or

If seeing a painting show a man instead of a woman gets you to write 3 paragraphs of complaining you have problems, I think it was actually more than three paragraphs. Anyone who's feelings can be impacted by the gender of a videogame character in a negative way needs to look someplace else for someone to look up to. Personally I don't care what the gender is but seeing people whine when it's not the one they wanted is just as pathetic when it's about a woman as it is a man. same thing with the comment in the thread that was going on during the art reveal, someone saw a beard and said "oh another generic man" how the hell do they know the character is generic? they are shallow enough to judge something based purely on the gender and that's pathetic.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
And for the gameplay incentives! Guards have sleep schedules, so night time raids mean you deal with fewer patrols. What a fantastic game =)
With the less detection at night passive fully upgraded, nighttime raids almost become too easy, haha. I remember one time I accidentally jumped of a building and landed between two guards (both standing less than a meter away) and they didn't notice me.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Haha wow, see how you guys are? name calling right away, can't actually have a discussion so you hide behind your internet snark. BTW a boomer is much older than I am

You were the one who started unfairly generalising entire generations, I'm just returning the favour. You gripe that "young folks today think the world revolves around their feelings" and yet you spout your world view as if it should be the law of the land. The world has moved on and you are out of touch.

JerryinSoCal

Banned
Apr 10, 2020
Boomer is a state of mind.

Nah you were just wrong and have to cover yourself now, I'm guessing you are the type that can never admit to being wrong based on the fact that you've been wrong in both of the responses you've given me. I'm not a snowflake or a boomer, nice that you are mature enough to call people names twice instead of actually telling them what it is about their point of view you disagree with.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry I should have explained it better, I was talking about the person tweeting not you, I apologize if it came across that way.
Ah okay no worries. It's just that they put a strange piece of the puzzle out there for some of us to notice and I just can't drop it, but if there is a plot for this then it's all good imo.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha wow, see how you guys are? name calling right away, can't actually have a discussion so you hide behind your internet snark. BTW a boomer is much older than I am

Your entire post history in this thread is like, jerking yourself off over how you're so much better than the younger generations and how big of fucking pussies they are.

Don't pretend you want a discussion, you want a wall to rant at that you can then martyr yourself on.

Jords

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2018
New Zealand
Going with whomever I warm to first.

So far it's the male, awesome look and energy. Kassandra gave me that vibe last time

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait until I have more context of the female character than a photo of an action figure before I make a decision

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Not super jazzed about the size of the world. I was actually hoping they would rein in the size.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Gonna wait until I have more context of the female character than a photo of an action figure before I make a decision
Same. Though hair, beard, and tattoo customization is really great to hear! I think that's a fantastic fit for the series, providing a ton of personalization options on a predefined face and character (useful for the facial animation quality as much as the story). It worked really well for Geralt =)

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I've been planning to do girl when I do Odyssey cuz from what I've heard her voice actor is ace, but I absolutely must have the beard when I play this.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Not super jazzed about the size of the world. I was actually hoping they would reign in the size.
Do we have any info about the map size yet? They've massively reigned in the scale at least, if the setting is mostly just England now, compared to pretty much all of Greece and most of its islands. If the map size is the same as Odyssey, it will feel incredibly immersive.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been planning to do girl when I do Odyssey cuz from what I've heard her voice actor is ace, but I absolutely must have the beard when I play this.

Yeah, Kassandra's voice actor was excellent and was really the deciding factor for me early on when choosing who to play as. Alexios seemed boring in comparison and his voice lacked the punch that Kassandra had.

I think the voice will also be what it comes down to for male and female Eivor as well, but the beard is definitely appealing.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Now if Katheryn Winnick (Lagertha in Vikings) announces she's vocing the female protagonist, that will be a hard choice to make who to play.

Now that you say that, I'm wishing they got Travis Flemmel to be the male voice.

Playing as Ragnar even though it ain't would easily make this a must buy lol.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Kassandra's voice actor was excellent and was really the deciding factor for me early on when choosing who to play as. Alexios seemed boring in comparison and his voice lacked the punch that Kassandra had.

I think the voice will also be what it comes down to for male and female Eivor as well, but the beard is definitely appealing.
Male Evior is being voiced by the guy who played Cnut in The Last Kingdom. Will be interesting who voices female Evior.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
They used people of greek ancestry last time and they were terrible, they didn't actually have accents so they had to fake them and it was terribly obvious, they both sounded like cartoon characters, I loved Odyssey but the voice acting was bad all around. Origins had great voice acting, especially Bayek.

The voice acting for Bayek was top notch. Probably my most favorite assassin's Creed out of all of them.

Every time he spoke it had purpose and I could like feel the pain Bayek was going through.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The recruiting stuff sounds interesting. I just hope this one isn't as bloated as the last few. I don't need another 150 hour game it just gets boring after a while

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Bayek is one of the most under appreciated roles this generation. Outstanding voice work from minute 1 to hour 40. Incredible performance.