• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
If it's close to 4k anyway (like in the range of 1800p to 2160p or using some kind of reconstruction to give a similar result) then I really don't think it matters, and the main thing is that the game can hold a consistent framerate.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What Ubisoft games are you talking about specifically? I don't recall them saying this for any Assassin's Creed game. Not doubting you but I'd like some links/sources.

The one Ubisoft game I remember that was native 4K was Far Cry 5 on the Xbox One X. I do remember them/Xbox advertising this fact prior to launch too.

I meant their PR, they always just list the games as 4k for both consoles not making the distinction if it's dynamic, reconstructed or upscaled.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
IF, and thats a big if. The XSX is actually native 4k. I wonder if people can actually notice the difference.

I don't think that's what's important here anyway. I personally care more about what this difference (If true) will result into when later in the gen more demanding games start to target 1440p60/30 instead of 4k, if Series X games would end up being native 1440p but upscaled on PS5.

CornIsGood

Oct 25, 2017
The last couple of Assassin's Creed games used dynamic scaling on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, I'm sure it's the same in Valhalla on PS5 and XSX. Keeping the framerate at 60 is far more important than locking the resolution.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Digital foundry said this a bit ago but the native resolution is dead. If upscaling is getting better then why not run a game somewhere between 1440-1800p and upscale to 4k. You can get more frames, you can get more shiny things.

At the end of the day I don't care. I look at a game and go "holy shit that looks amazing on my lil console"

even the pristine natively rendered pixels will still also be sampling lower than native resolution reflections, shadows, alpha.

I'd guess almost nothing from the last 10 years or more is actually properly native res. And if your components aren't native res, what's the big deal if your final pixels are?

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
As long as we don't get the weird repeat of last gen where sometimes framerate would be worse on the Xbox one x as it ran in native 4k.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'll be impressed if Series X actually pulls off native 4k 60fps. Not interested in the game myself, but it would be a good indication of GPU resources available for future titles.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Series X has a decent leap in raw horsepower, it's not shocking at all yet some of you describe it as a minor increase

For Year 1+2 crossgen titles where they're not taking advantage of the newer architecture, it absolutely does mean a difference. Now you're comparing super sharp vs sharp so it's minor anyway

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I care more about clarity. If the box says dynamic 4k, but the image is clear as Odysseys and Origins was (but this time better), I don't see any problem. Remember that devs can now mask things into looking as sharp as 4k without actually being 4k, unless I am mistaken.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Except it won't matter as much as you think. This isn't the difference between 720 and 1080 resolution.

At the range of resolution these consoles can operate at now the difference between native and upscale is so small that the only people who would be able to tell the difference are those who are actively magnifying pixels to see. Anyone who tells you otherwise is bullshitting themselves.
I only said it would matter, because it will.

But of course, I doubt that even if we go to such extremes of 1440p VS native 4k (which would be the equivalent of 720p VS 1080p) we won't have another resolution gate this time around.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
I won't pretend I'm super in touch with console tech. But as a PC gamer, I always assumed that a lot of games will not be targeting full 4k this generation. To achieve 4k@60fps on PC right now requires serious hardware and a lot of investment.
I would also imagine that most games targeting high frame rates this gen would have to sacrifice resolution, maybe even graphic settings, to achieve this.

The good news is, in practice, 99.9% of gamers will be absolutely fine with upscaled 1440p @ 60fps. Switching between these two resolutions on my PC, viewing it from my couch ~9 feet away, I struggle to notice a difference besides the framerate.

I don't see this as being much different than previous generations, especially as this generation develops. If you absolutely must have the highest resolution, and have to maintain the highest possible framerate, you will simply have to invest big money into the latest PC hardware.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
Both platforms will run reconstructed 4K / 60 because native 4K would be a colossal waste of power, the budget is better used elsewhere : more details and effects on screen.

So of course it doesn't run at native 4K, it wouldn't be optimal.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I expected between the PS5 and Series X.

2TF difference isn't gonna result in parity.

Agreed but I'd rather have the extra power in performance headroom rather than graphics. There were a number of games one the One X that developers tried to do a little too much with and the games ended up running better on the Pro. Eg. 1440p on Pro 1800p on X with better shadows or something, but performance ended up slightly worse.

Tulike

Nov 1, 2017
Not a big deal, it's not like it drops to 480p when you are in the middle of a battle. Only noticeable when doing an in-depth analysis on a frozen frame while zooming in.
As long as it keeps a steady frame rate, it's good enough for me.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, thanks
As someone getting a Series X and a PS5, I am very excited for Digital Foundry to look at some multi-platform games
DF's definitely got their work cut out for them. "Here's an hour long video comparing PC, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5."

I assume they've already discussed amongst themselves how they're going to handle this and how they're going to break up the different comparisons. No way you'd be able to fit all that in just one video, it'd be too much.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What are you talking about, there was no parity at all on last gen...

PS4 >>> One
One X >> PS4 Pro

And now is:

Series X > PS5

Better GPU = higher resolution, anyone who know anything about hardware knew this by months and months.

[all of this for third party of course, you can't judge by exclusive games]

Lol, you must have missed the drama

Ubisoft said, before Unity came out, literally at the same stage Valhalla is at now, that they were aiming for parity and both systems would aim for 900, and that caused an absolute shitstorm

I know there was no parity, that's literally why it caused a shitstorm, because everyone (wrongly, in retrospect) expected the more powerful PS4 to run the game better and felt it was being held back

Maybe I'm just old and remember these things and no one else does

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, native 4K is sharper than non-native 4K. It's fine not to care and I personally think it'll look great on both, but it'll be useful to know if one is native and the other isn't for someone getting both platforms. I'd rather play in native if there's the option :P

Oh totally, I didn't even think of the people who will own both consoles. I'm sorry for my ignorance!

fadeawayjae

May 31, 2019
I don't envy DF job during the consoles launches, they are gonna bring out the worse of fanboys from both sides.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

Ubisoft said, before Unity came out, literally at the same stage Valhalla is at now, that they were aiming for parity and both systems would aim for 900, and that caused an absolute shitstorm

I know there was no parity, that's literally why it caused a shitstorm, because everyone (wrongly, in retrospect) expected the more powerful PS4 to run the game better and felt it was being held back

Yeah, I remember that. "WHERE'S MY 1080P PATCH, UBIFUCK?!?!?"

Especially after Black Flag launched at 900p, remember? And they patched it to run 1080p shortly after launch.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm talking about their PR too. Your original post said that their PR mark their games as native 4K and the only game I can recall them doing that for is Far Cry 5 on the One X which indeed hit native 4K for 99% of the experience. Everything else has just been a vague '4K'

they always just list the games as 4k for both consoles not making the distinction if it's dynamic, reconstructed or upscaled.
This isn't really a Ubisoft exclusive thing is it, every publisher has done this ever since the mid-gen refresh consoles were launched. There's a stark difference however between just saying a game is '4K' and going out of your way to say a game is native 4K, which they have done on multiple occasions for Valhalla (Series X)

Just check all the press releases

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Not a big deal, it's not like it drops to 480p when you are in the middle of a battle. Only noticeable when doing an in-depth analysis on a frozen frame while zooming in.
As long as it keeps a steady frame rate, it's good enough for me.
This exaggeration is so tiring. Yes you can see a difference between resolutions and no you don't need a freeze frame and zoom to do it. Higher resolution is better than lower resolution.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017

Oh no I remember this it was awful, it was also on every media site that could run it: Xbox One is a 900 P console and PS4 is 1080p.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
DF's definitely got their work cut out for them. "Here's an hour long video comparing PC, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5."

I assume they've already discussed amongst themselves how they're going to handle this and how they're going to break up the different comparisons. No way you'd be able to fit all that in just one video, it'd be too much.

When you put it like that, it sounds really exhausting
I really hope they do some videos with only next gen consoles

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Upscaling techniques look wonderful these days. I would honestly rather have upscaled 4K60 than native 4K30.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Technically all games run at 4K (upscaled 4K) on 4K TVs, lol. What a weird thing to say. Some upscalers do a better job than others, but native 4K means no upscaling to me 🤷‍♂️

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Give me dynamic 4k with locked 60fps all the time please if the alternative were a native 4k resolution with a wonky uncapped or 30fps framerate.

I expect this to be the norm, nay, I hope it will because that would give us more guaranteed 60fps options.

Status
Not open for further replies.